gravity curmudgeon

nomad as one bike or quiver addition?

Riding a Turner flux that I very much enjoy (great bike). I'm thinking about getting a Nomad (used to ride a blur and think the Nomad would be all that I liked about the blur x 100). Ideally I would like to to have 2 bikes, but that may not be in the cards. SW Montana riding = lots of climbing, fire/logging roads, narrow singletrack, good proportion of very technical riding, all day rides.

So....choices:

1. Lighter Nomad build and sell the flux (fits the wallet and past tendancy to play the bike of the year club game).
    or
    2. More burl in the Nomad and keep the flux (2x = more fun but very hard on cowdog's wallet and ski addiction).

BTW, every year about this time I reawaken to cycling after skiing myself silly only to find that I am behind the curve on the latest shocks and forks. What's the latest thinking on the best all-around shock and fork for the Nomad? DHX Air and 36 Van? What about a Pike? That would be my first guess. And I would probably buy a Nomad as a kit from SC, trying to get the best bang for buck.

??
    Note: the other bike that is on my radar is the 6-pack/RFX.
    Last edited by cowdog; 03-15-2006 at 06:34 PM.

Too Much Fun

Interesting question...

Damn, do the Homers know you are over here, contemplating the unthinkable?

Tough call. Having lived in MT and knowing the trails there, the Nomad seems like it would be a GREAT ride for that terrain. But so would the RFX. While I dig the various four-bar flavors, with Turner at the top, I still prefer the feel of VPP when I'm climbing. It just feels more solid under me, but I can love most any bike so long as I'm out playing.

As for how you build it and wether to lose the Flux... I say keep the Flux AND get the Nomad! You can NEVER have too many bikes and in a place like MT I know I'd find a use for all of them.

I feel you on the bike/ski cost issues though. I just had to buy a new set of top shelf boots for the first time in 10yrs and almost pooped my pants when I saw the tab for me and the Mrs.... Skiiing is a rich man's sport. Thank god for the backcountry!
    - -benja- -

Lord of the Chainrings
    My opinion...

Nomad = light
    VP-Free = heavy
    Roadster = road

Fox DHX-5 coil - yes
    Fox 36 Vanilla single crown - yes
    Marzocchi 888RC triple crown - yes
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

Dirt Displacer
    Wow, there really IS such a thing as a stupid question.....

You can build a Nomad so many different ways, on top of what SC offers for built bikes, there's really no limit to what you can do as far as the bike's capabilities go (except for XC-racing, serious DH & extreme freeride).

For people like me, though, it's another addition to the armory.... I'm a bike-stable addict, and I think next on my list will be either a superlight XC steed, or a massively overbuilt DH rig.

Granted, there are so many other NICE bikes out there, but I don't think very many hit the level of versatility of the Nomad. If you built one to be your only do-it-all bike, I don't think you'd be wanting of anything else for quite a while (or at least, till your next tax-return ).
    Bombardier :::: MCM #249

[SIZE="5"]Trails Listings, GPS Tracks, & Forums[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="5"]Singletracks.com[/SIZE]