Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    one more time
    Oct 2005

nomad - new zealand style!!

last month i spent 3 weeks thrashing my nomad around some of the most amazing trails in new zealand... man i forgot how big the hills are over there compared to here in Asia - just love starting my ride with a 15 kilometre hillclimb!! - one of the trails took me 2.5 hours to climb and 21 minutes of non-stop downhill to reach the bottom.... felt like i needed a double wrist transpant after that one!!

Here is a picture of my rig parked off on one of the trails - strange how in nz we have picnic tables in the middle of nowhere - the other thing that blew me away was that i regularly came across nutters running or walking very very far from civilisation... strange bunch us kiwis..

Since ive been back i upgraded most of the drivetrain from shimano XTR (i had the new rapid rise which i didnt gel with) to SRAM - now im running XO rear / XO triggers and 06 cassette with PC991 chain... SRAM rocks - the shifting is unbelieveably so smooth im sold for life!!

anyway - the nomad was absolutely unreal - Fox36RC2's rocked and the hope mono M4's got a good workout!!

i spent 90% of last month with a huge grin on my face - if anyone wants some detail on riding in new zealand then let me know...

Cheers
    Benz

mtbr member

Smile try those pics again...!

love to see some

Freeriding Feline

Pic!

Please!
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

one more time
    Oct 2005
    you know i mean 800k.

looks like i should stick to riding....

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    depends on your connection.

one more time
    Oct 2005
    sorry guys im a vigin at this!!! my pics wont load... give me some help here...

how long should it take to upload 800meg photo?

one more time
    Oct 2005
    1.5 mbit broadband

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    give it a few minutes. I'm on a fast broadband connection too, but picture uploads seem to go slow on the site here.

one more time
    Oct 2005
    hey boogie - my photos wont load????? is there a trick to this?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    resize the pictures. go to paint, then "image", then "stretch/skew", and make it about 60%. then try uploading again.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    do you have some place where you can host them rather than uploading them to the site here?

mtbr member

hosting?

if you have a yahoo e-mail acct, use the photo service (that is free) to host your photos and then make it public and then....put the link here.....!
    I am keen to see photos because I am from NZ (but I currently live in CA) and have a nomad...

one more time
    Oct 2005

nomad - new zealand style - with pictures!!

ok guys managed to re-size - let me know what you think???
    Attached Images Attached Images

Headhunter on 2 wheels

Wanna see more pictures...

That's a bad a$$ looking ride you got there ben! Please post some trail pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by benzology72
    ok guys managed to re-size - let me know what you think???

one more time
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by arandal
    if you have a yahoo e-mail acct, use the photo service (that is free) to host your photos and then make it public and then....put the link here.....!
    I am keen to see photos because I am from NZ (but I currently live in CA) and have a nomad...
    hey i managed to get it sorted - probably because im in asia it wouldnt upload anything more that 150k!!

where are you from bro???

mtbr member
    where are you from bro???[/QUOTE]

CHCH mainly, family live all around..Dunners, Wgtn, Akl. Used to bike a lot in the port hills there, (easy when local) and spent a lot of time in the southern alps biking also... Have done a couple of touring trips around the South island, including going offroad for 100km in the molesworth (hanmer-st arnaud) which was a blast. Have biked a bit of the queen charlotte track (40k or so)...and some time in nth island (national park) and rotovegas and all the good stuff ... now it is all northern california for now...

where did you go in NZ?

one more time
    Oct 2005
    Ahh ok - sounds like you have done some interesting riding down there... sounds like you are a bit of a fitness freak!!

Im from Wellington but my Dad lives in Nelson so I split my time between the two - while I was in Wellington I spent most of my time at Makara Peak - not sure if you have been there but its pretty awesome - purpose built mountain bike park with lots of great trails - I also headed out to the Rimutakas and did the Rimutaka incline which was nice - great trails out there and pristine NZ forest and scenery...

In Nelson I mixed it up a bit - I did the Dunn Mountain Railway - a 700m+ climb which nearly finished me - we dont have climbs like that in Singapore!! Also did Hira forest which was superb - in there I did Spotswood Wiggles, Tuckers Trails, ground effect slingshot etc etc - I also met a guy from Christchurch called Zane Smith who took me riding out near stoke somewhere - unreal but I had to push the nomad about 30% of the climb as it was sooo steep - the downhill was about the best Ive been involved in!!

So hows the riding in Cali compared to NZ???

mtbr member
    sounds like you did some good riding in the land of the long white cloud..and met some good locals

So hows the riding in Cali compared to NZ???[/QUOTE]

Like it here. However, a lot of people, and a lot of attitude and B.S.. Not as relaxed as New Zealand...fast pace...all the cliches. That aside, I like it. As for the riding, great stuff in the mountains here...Northern Sierra Nevada mountains...western slope..many, many great places to ride in the summer..technical and fun fun fun...and in the winter, lots of good riding around here...the "bay area"...all the classic places I am still exploring..but the more I see on www.vorb.co.nz ,the more I consider moving back...which I can and may do...

lets see some more photos of your trip eh?

cheers

mtbr member

whoops ...I meant http://www.vorb.org.nz

http://www.vorb.org.nz is what I meant ..sorry...

one more time
    Oct 2005
    yeah some of the crew i met back home were cool - the guy Zane that i met was hilarious, when we met to go riding i knew i was in trouble - he must have been 65kgs and not an ounce of fat on him... im about 94kgs and not exactly a whippet!! anyway - after the 2+ hours climbing we sat down for a chat - it wasnt till then that he told me he had done the coast to coast 3 times!! Can you imagine me on a 33lb nomad trying to keep up with him on his hardtail avanti race bike...!!!!

He was actually one of the most skillful riders i have been riding with....just hammered the hills and floated over everything coming down!!

I'll resize some of those photos tonight and get them online - just spent the weekend in Malaysia - drove up to one of the national parks and did some riding and hiking up there... very nice...

Let me know when you are passing by south east asia - ill show you the ropes!!

one more time
    Oct 2005

nomad - new zealand style - more photos

ok here are some more photos
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

suuweet ride!

Quote Originally Posted by benzology72
    ok here are some more photos
    Ah yes, New Zealand riding...veddy nice...as is your bike...I wanted a gray ano, but went with what was available at the time (black) which seems to be very common. However, it rides just the same as a gray ano....or does it?..the karapoti classic was this weekend in New Zealand...a classic ride that has been around since 1986 I believe ... you heard of it?...rated as one of the 25 best rides/races in the world by velonews ... and someone did it in just over two hours (breaking the record)..

Anyways, how do you deal with all the snakes/critters in asia? I had a large one jump on me in the Kai Sok national forest in southern thailand last year which scared the begesus out of me...but then we don't deal with snakes in NZ eh?...and I am a woos I guess

That would be interesting while riding...(speaking of which, take some photos of your singapore trails next time you are out eh?)
    Cheers,

one more time
    Oct 2005
    Yeah one of my best mates has done the karapoti a couple of times and he was planning to do it again this year. Ive actually done some riding out there and have ridden parts of the track but not the whole course - completing that in just over 2 hrs is crazy fast!!

Riding in the jungles here can be interesting - even in Singapore we regularly see snakes, monkeys, huge monitor lizards... not so long ago I ran over a generous sized python... came around a downhill corner and it was across the track - didnt even have time to consider stopping. Actually Im not a big fan of snakes so I didnt even look back. Ive heard some of the guys who run through the jungles being bitten but never mountain bikers.

As I metioned I was riding in Malaysia last weekend - the Area of Gunung Belumut has fairly regular tiger sightings!! Not sure how much I believe that... although they did close some of the tracks two years ago due to attacks on livestock in the hilltribes!!!

Who is John Galt?
    Quote Originally Posted by arandal
    http://www.vorb.org.nz is what I meant ..sorry...
    sorry guys. I checked out this site and am now switching to Jamis. What a babe!
    http://www.vorb.org.nz/article-35553.html

What other nice scenery is there in NZ?

mtbr member

Wink HA ha

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim Mac
    sorry guys. I checked out this site and am now switching to Jamis. What a babe!
    http://www.vorb.org.nz/article-35553.html

What other nice scenery is there in NZ?
    Well done Jim, you have discovered a new world...

Yes indeed. Go to NZ right now and you are guaranteed some "scenery"....

like this : http://www.andrisapse.com/index.php

or, other "scenery" like this

www.muscle-babes.com/newzealandbabes ...interesting???!! hmmmm

HA haha

...each to their own eh?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast