mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Nomad maintenance

Having recently bought a Nomad secondhand all I can say is wow!

It has no grease nipples so we're pretty sure it's a MK1 with Talas RC2 36 up front and a DHX4 Coil on the back but I was wondering what maintenance, tools and how often I need to perform any work on the frame/pivots/bearings etc.
    I've come from a Specialized Enduro '04 so I'm well versed in bearing replacement

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    I ride a 1st gen Nomad w/ 1.5 ht, 180 Talas w/ CCDB air, awesome combo BTW. I would get the bearing tools & a propak from SC. I replace the bearings about every two yrs. Not sure if this really helps you, but I have to say th Nomad is a great all mtn/freeride/dh bike: provided it is properly equipped & it sounds like you're headed in the right direction.

Good Luck with it.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks ill look into the pro pack, it all seems pretty tight at the moment so hopefully nothing to replace just yet

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Calzor Suzay View Post
    Thanks ill look into the pro pack, it all seems pretty tight at the moment so hopefully nothing to replace just yet
    Unbolt the rear shock and cycle the swing arm through its travel. You'll be able to tell what condition the bearings are in.

Between good and total crap they can be bad enough that they are affecting your rear end's small bump compliance.

Worth knowing where you are at.

I would get the fork serviced if you don't know that it has been recently taken care of.
    Last edited by vikb; 06-07-2013 at 09:46 AM.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    It's a coil shock but I can remove the spring and bounce it.
    The shock seems ok but yeah I'll get it serviced at some point along with the coil rear.

I'm all for doing my own servicing vbut having looked on their website at the special bearing tools you need, ouch!