Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    291

    Nomad lead times?

    I just placed an order for a Nomad frame and was wondering if anyone knows what the lead times are like.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    22
    Two weeks

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    291

    Are you kidding me?

    Quote Originally Posted by Merp
    Two weeks
    Are you serious?

    The shop I ordered from said their last batch just came in last week, but it took 2 months. They said with spring around the corner, the current lead times will probably get extended further out from the 2 months that their winter order took. But they couldn't even give me a ballpark idea about how long it would take. They have been trying to get Santa Cruz on the phone to ask, but they said no one ever picks up the phone. You have to leave a message and they seldom ever return the calls.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: daisycutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,449

    nomad lead times

    sANTA CRUZ has a horrible reputation around there customer service. Two of the LBS's around me do not carry them any longer. Storys of two week wait times turning into 12 weeks or longer abounded. Maybe SC just does a poor job of estimateing when they will get frames in. But it seems seems SC frame wait times are always longer then they say it will be. Don't get me wrong I love their product and I have a killer anodized Nomad which just rocks. I am relaying what two stores told me in my search for a Nomad frame around Manhatten. My advice is buy now if you are sure you are buying a Nomad because I would rather wait now in winter then in the spring. I bet when demand picks up in the wait will be even more then your lbs says. THe nomad is the hot ticket right now.



    Quote Originally Posted by k1dude
    Are you serious?

    The shop I ordered from said their last batch just came in last week, but it took 2 months. They said with spring around the corner, the current lead times will probably get extended further out from the 2 months that their winter order took. But they couldn't even give me a ballpark idea about how long it would take. They have been trying to get Santa Cruz on the phone to ask, but they said no one ever picks up the phone. You have to leave a message and they seldom ever return the calls.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    17
    6 months now for my xl Nomad. Luckily it's winter and no hurry yet, but i'm having second thoughts because spring is just around the corner. I could get Specialized Enduro -06 frame in two weeks, that makes you think is Nomad really worth waiting this long.

  6. #6
    bump and grind
    Reputation: cobym2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    639
    6-10 weeks accdg. to my local dealer.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,520
    I think mine took about 6 weeks but I ordered a special, rear black and front red. If I had selected a "normal" color it would probably have taken much less. It's all a matter of size and color. People make a big fuss about SC lead time but bottom line, are there much bike companies that offer a selection of colors and finish! If you go to a store and they don't have the size/model of Specialized or Giant or other of the big companies in stock, you can kiss it goodbye because it will be only next year. Most companies produce a certain amount of sizes for each specific model, after the're gone that's it even if you are willing to wait 2-3... months for it. For SantaCruz, most shop don't order batches, they order per customer request so that's what happens... People are probably blaming SC for something they are not worse than other companies, it's just that they have a different process...

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: esquire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,653

    Ditto...

    Quote Originally Posted by BanzaiRider
    I think mine took about 6 weeks but I ordered a special, rear black and front red. If I had selected a "normal" color it would probably have taken much less. It's all a matter of size and color. People make a big fuss about SC lead time but bottom line, are there much bike companies that offer a selection of colors and finish! If you go to a store and they don't have the size/model of Specialized or Giant or other of the big companies in stock, you can kiss it goodbye because it will be only next year. Most companies produce a certain amount of sizes for each specific model, after the're gone that's it even if you are willing to wait 2-3... months for it. For SantaCruz, most shop don't order batches, they order per customer request so that's what happens... People are probably blaming SC for something they are not worse than other companies, it's just that they have a different process...
    Its part of why they are popular, AND have a reputation for delays, the selection. I guarantee that if SC offered only black and white frames, these complaints would be very rare. But, then they might not be as popular, and....well, you get the picture. I recently called/emailed Bobby regarding a VPFree, he said he had a few in stock, 1 specific color, in the proper size, but due to the option of other colors, etc., the ah...person...opted to wait what was quoted as 3 weeks. Even if the frame doesn't get here in 3 weeks, they still had the option of an immediate black ano frame, but opted to go with something else, and are generally taking their chances. I had to order an Uzzi recently for a customer, who wanted hot rod orange. The only large Uzzi's they had were with the 5th Element rear shock, and the next load of shocks from Fox were due in 3 weeks. Intense could not say whether that orange frame was going to be there in 3 weeks when the rear shock would be, so I ordered it sans rear shock, called Fox, and did an end run around the lead time. Took a bit of extra work, and had to buy a "retail" shock, that cost probably $35 more, but it was worth it to get the color frame that he wanted.

    Ironically, the customer is waiting for 3 weeks to raise the capital for the purchase. No problem, she looks great here on the wall, and we've turned 3 people away from it, who eventually ordered their own.

  9. #9
    TNC
    TNC is offline
    noMAD man
    Reputation: TNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,059

    In Banzai's case...

    Quote Originally Posted by BanzaiRider
    I think mine took about 6 weeks but I ordered a special, rear black and front red. If I had selected a "normal" color it would probably have taken much less. It's all a matter of size and color. People make a big fuss about SC lead time but bottom line, are there much bike companies that offer a selection of colors and finish! If you go to a store and they don't have the size/model of Specialized or Giant or other of the big companies in stock, you can kiss it goodbye because it will be only next year. Most companies produce a certain amount of sizes for each specific model, after the're gone that's it even if you are willing to wait 2-3... months for it. For SantaCruz, most shop don't order batches, they order per customer request so that's what happens... People are probably blaming SC for something they are not worse than other companies, it's just that they have a different process...
    The 6 week wait for such a specific two-tone request was actually pretty fast. When I got my ano slate model, we had just been on the phone with them ordering a customer's bike. We asked Bobby what they had, and I was happy to take an ano slate large Nomad. A few days later...there it was. I've had 4 new SC bikes. I've never had to wait for any of them...other than shipping.

  10. #10
    aka baycat
    Reputation: Ryan G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,477
    A few months is what I am used too! If you are not picky on color, tell them you will take anything. Otherwise it is worth the wait, how many companies give you so much customization on colors, forks, shocks and build kits!

  11. #11
    Speedhubbing at last
    Reputation: Adman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    105
    I'm looking for an XL Nomad frame and was just told 10-12 weeks if ordered today. Larges are in stock and can be available in a week. I'm looking around for a L to check out just in case it'll fit the 6'3" bill.

    -Adam

    Quote Originally Posted by k1dude
    I just placed an order for a Nomad frame and was wondering if anyone knows what the lead times are like.
    Marla -- the big tourist. The faker. With her there, I was a faker too. Her lie reflected my lie. And all of a sudden, I felt nothing. With her there, I couldn't cry. All I could do was ride.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hollywoodeagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    34
    Was told it would take 8 - 12 weeks for a small nomad to get to the U.K.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: daisycutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,449
    Quote Originally Posted by Adman
    I'm looking for an XL Nomad frame and was just told 10-12 weeks if ordered today. Larges are in stock and can be available in a week. I'm looking around for a L to check out just in case it'll fit the 6'3" bill.

    -Adam

    Go with the extra large

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    53
    Well....I ordered my Nomad S Tranred in June last year and they told me it would be December.....I'm still waiting as they first said January, and now March... It seems that M and L are quite easy to get now!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,118
    My LBS ordered one in for a customer recently, took 6weeks for a medium (which, surprisingly, is what SC told them!). Of course, the timing depends on colour selection. The Nomad is obviously wildly popular right now, if you want a popular colour and order at just the wrong time (ie: just after a batch of that size/color has been spoken for), you'll be waiting a while.....

    Good luck!

  16. #16
    Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    791
    Although I haven't ridden around on one, I'm also 6'3" and my friends who have ridden one, as well as the shop, have recommended a Large. So I ordered one 4wks ago, and I was told it was a 4wk lead time. I just expedited my order, and was told it's shipping in 1-2 days. STOKE!!! After hearing about their problems with lead-times, I was expecting another 2wks (realistically). I got mine with a DHX 5.0, since I do more DH/FR stuff than XC.

  17. #17
    Warrior's Society
    Reputation: mtnbikej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    4,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby
    My LBS ordered one in for a customer recently, took 6weeks for a medium (which, surprisingly, is what SC told them!). Of course, the timing depends on colour selection. The Nomad is obviously wildly popular right now, if you want a popular colour and order at just the wrong time (ie: just after a batch of that size/color has been spoken for), you'll be waiting a while.....

    Good luck!
    That is funny, because my LBS has 2 frames in stock: L Ano Slate and M Ano Black.

    mtnbikej

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sway?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    195
    I would suggest calling around to see who has what in stock. I've ran accross countless Nomads in stock at bike shops in my search for a Heckler. In fact, Tri-A-Bike in Palm Desert has 2, and Don's Bike Shop in Rialto (where I ordered my Heckler from) is getting in 10 SC frames and completes (mixed stock of Blurs, SL, Nomads etc...) this week.

    Bottom line, if your worried about time, spend a little of it and call around. I think you'll be surprised what you can find. Just go to http://www.santacruzmtb.com/dealers/us.php and enter your zip + >100 miles and start dialing.

    Good Luck.

    PS. I live 86 miles from Don's Bikes and went with them bc of the outstanding service extended to me over the phone, not to mention they beat everyone's price by $100... If you call, ask for Ben.
    Last edited by Sway?; 02-27-2006 at 09:37 PM.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    291
    I'm going on 10 weeks for a large polished with DHX Air. What's odd is a friend of mine got her large polished with DHX Coil in 2 weeks. We ordered on the same day.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    173

    Watch ebay...

    There are often brand new nomad frames on their with no waiting...and cheaper to boot. There was an XL trans red nomad frame that ended yesterday...brand new. You coulda had it in 2 days and saved a few bucks.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: breckseth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    296

    CAmbria gots em fast!

    I got my Nomad in Oct. I called Cambria to put a down payment and get in line. Dude on the phone said he had a black one with a sick XT build that some one had just backed out on and that if I didnt mind the powder coat I could have it......now I do! I got a $4800 build for $3600 and it was here in 3 days.
    I know I got it at the end of the season, but I have a winter to do Fruita, Moab and the Front Range to get adjusted to the new beast!
    Guys at my shop say that Santa Cruz is saying 6 weeks

  22. #22
    Dirt Displacer
    Reputation: Bombardier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    606
    I got my ano-black large in two weeks from Cambria, and that was with them in-stock and having to ship it overseas. I was leery of getting one with a DHX-Air, even after CBO told me that I'd only have to wait 6-8 weeks for a ano-black large with DHX-coil. But in the end, all is good.

    As a side-note, when my wife put in an order for her GF Fat Possum at our LBS in Germany, and it took 8 weeks for it to arrive. Her bike was definitely the first XS Fat Possum in Europe, and the LBS had some issues dealing with Trek.
    When I checked with the local SantaCruz dealer about Nomads, they quoted me the same wait time. It so happened that a customer was there picking up his medium PC Nomad after waiting 9 weeks for his.
    So ordering a bike from SC is really on par with a special order from Gary Fisher, at least overseas.
    Usually I'm a really impatient type of person, but when it comes to something like a Nomad, it's well worth the wait.
    Bombardier :::: MCM #249

    [SIZE="5"]Trails Listings, GPS Tracks, & Forums[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="5"]Singletracks.com[/SIZE]

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: esquire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,653

    Nomad mediums...

    Nomad mediums, all colors, are in stock right now (or were up until Thursday), at SC. They got a surprise shipment or something, we just got an email on it.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crank1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,479
    Quote Originally Posted by esquire
    Nomad mediums, all colors, are in stock right now (or were up until Thursday), at SC. They got a surprise shipment or something, we just got an email on it.
    Santa Cruz got a suprise shipment of their own products?

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: esquire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,653

    No, not really...

    Quote Originally Posted by crank1979@optusnet.com.au
    Santa Cruz got a suprise shipment of their own products?
    What I mean is our inside sales rep seemed a bit "surprised" that they had all those mediums in stock, and sent out an email letting many of us know. I'm sure Rob knew they were coming, but that doesn't mean everyone knew. Last I heard a few weeks ago, mediums were 4-5 weeks out. Then we get this email.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •