mtbr member

Nomad - how strong?

Hi, thinking of upgrading my frame to a Nomad.

Although I aint exactly tall, heavy or into big drops, is the Nomad frame strong enough for all the travel it has? No breakage or cracking probs?

aka baycat
    None reported when I talked to CS over at SC about two weeks ago, even the bearings are holding up much better than the original Blur bearings, which had some issues

TNC
    noMAD man

Relative beefiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywoodeagle

Although I aint exactly tall, heavy or into big drops, is the Nomad frame strong enough for all the travel it has? No breakage or cracking probs?
    Here's the thing that kinda surprised me about the Nomad. I guess I was under the impression that it was going to be a lighter bike than my Bullits. For a multi-link suspension design bike with 6.5" of travel, it is decently light, but it basically weighs the same as a Bullit frame. I have the older '99 model Bullit and the later beefed up '03 Bullit. I weighed the Nomad frame with its DHX-Air when it came into the shop, and it was 7.47lbs. We have a quality digital scale at the shop that we check periodically against another digital scale just to keep things honest. I pulled everything off the '03 Bullit and put it on the Nomad. The Nomad weighs almost exactly what the Bullit weighed...33lbs. Both frames are large models. Quite obviously the Nomad is not a flimsy lightweight. While this isn't a guarantee that it will be as tough as say a Bullit, it's definitely got some beef in the frame, and isn't just a longer travel BLT. Speaking of the BLT, we have a couple in our shop, and I was comparing sizes of the links and other frame components to the Nomad. The Nomad is dramatically beefier in several areas that would be critical to durability. Only time will really tell how durable the Nomad turns out to be, but it's a heavier duty design than I thought.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. Ordered it today with dhx air shock in ano black. Now what forks to go for?

aka baycat
    Go for either the Fox Van 36 or the Marzoochi 66 SL, both of them come in black too!

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. Ordered it today with dhx air shock in ano black. Now what forks to go for?
    Nice one ! you won't regret it .Go for the 36's ! and no blue bit's

Redwood Dancer

Hard to tell, it's not that old an experiment. However, a SC factory guy I met recently said that you'll blow thru a whole crop of these new 6" single crown forks (including Fox 36'rs) before you wreck the Nomad frame. Plus, they've got a good track record with the Bullit's et al.

I've gone off six to seven foot ledges into the flats more than a few times and so far, so good. One bolt in the upper linkage a tiny bit out of torque spec. No creaking, but my Nomad build is only a week old --- that's no proof of long-term durability.

I'd like to see pics and specs of dual crown forks on these babies. Maybe an 888?
    RAIL OR F*!%#!*^G BAIL

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    When I spoke to the SC guys in the UK I asked them exactly the same question, the sales guy who rides a Nomad said that the frame is definitely as strong if not stronger than the Bullit. I have done lots of research before I sold my Bullit and ordered a Nomad and I have not found anyone who has bust one yet!!

I am like you not massive in height or weight but I have trashed three frames over the last three years, I just ride hard. I seem to have lots of broken bones to go with the frames as well!!

Redwood Dancer

ouch...

Quote Originally Posted by lancaster1979
    I am like you not massive in height or weight but I have trashed three frames over the last three years, I just ride hard. I seem to have lots of broken bones to go with the frames as well!!
    Yeah, the crew I ride with is a real riot going thru airport security. They nearly lock down the whole airport when the alerts go off on the metal detectors from all the steel rods and screws holding us together.
    RAIL OR F*!%#!*^G BAIL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevie d
    Nice one ! you won't regret it .Go for the 36's ! and no blue bit's
    Blue is too girly Mr D think I will stick to black. Vans would be nice, but I think my bank balance says Marrazochis...

mtbr member

My Nomad Arrives!

new small nomad in ano black with the frame it is replacing. Thinking of 66sls for the forks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    hello can you put a photo of this part of the framework,please? thank you.

Last edited by EPSILON 2; 02-23-2006 at 08:52 AM.

mtbr member

Fao Epilson - Fotos Attached

These Ok Pal?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thank you very much, the photos is perfect, I can see what I feared, it is less beautiful than on the other sizes, so I await mine in France I hope for soon.