mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Nomad or Heckler?

Through Santa Cruz's website, the cheapest Nomad set up is with a 5th Gravity rear shock with, Powdercoat paint, Deore "AM" parts and a Manitou Super Int. front shock or should I get a Heckler with powdercoat, with 5th coil shock, with 36 rc2 Talas fork and R (XT and LX parts) "AM" parts? Both setups cost about the same @ $3000.00. The type of riding I do range from aggressive XC to small jumps and drops (nothing greater than 5').

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by psOption3
    Through Santa Cruz's website, the cheapest Nomad set up is with a 5th Gravity rear shock with, Powdercoat paint, Deore "AM" parts and a Manitou Super Int. front shock or should I get a Heckler with powdercoat, with 5th coil shock, with 36 rc2 Talas fork and R (XT and LX parts) "AM" parts? Both setups cost about the same @ $3000.00. The type of riding I do range from aggressive XC to small jumps and drops (nothing greater than 5').
    The Nomad is all the new craze, but I ordered the Heckler yesterday. I just didn't want to spend the exta cheese.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    I hear ya. If I get the Nomad, I'm just going to be dumping more coin to upgrade the parts later. But what makes the Nomad so appealing is that VPP technology. But then I figure with heckler all you need to get is a good rear shock that helps eliminate pedal-induced bobbing and climbing on the Heckler should be a snap. Have you ridding your Heckler yet. Does the rear-end of the Heckler feel noodley on fast rocky descents?
    I just ordered it, so it's gonna be a minute before I get to ride it, but I have ridden 2 other Hecklers and neither felt "noodley". One had the 5th coil, and the other had a Fox coil.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I hear ya. If I get the Nomad, I'm just going to be dumping more coin to upgrade the parts later. But what makes the Nomad so appealing is that VPP technology. But then I figure with heckler all you need to get is a good rear shock that helps eliminate pedal-induced bobbing and climbing on the Heckler should be a snap. Have you ridding your Heckler yet. Does the rear-end of the Heckler feel noodley on fast rocky descents?

Quote Originally Posted by Sway?
    The Nomad is all the new craze, but I ordered the Heckler yesterday. I just didn't want to spend the exta cheese.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    What kind of setup are you getting for your new Heckler?

Quote Originally Posted by Sway?
    I just ordered it, so it's gonna be a minute before I get to ride it, but I have ridden 2 other Hecklers and neither felt "noodley". One had the 5th coil, and the other had a Fox coil.

mtbr member
    What kind of setup are you getting for your new Heckler?
    I just went with the D AM package complete bike for the price. It's listed as $1910 in their pricing matrix, but if you buy it as a complete it's only $1584. I'm mostly after the frame, and will upgrade as needed. The fork will be the first thing I replace.

http://www.santacruzmtb.com/heckler/index.php?pricing=1

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

The Heckler is a lighter frame, and is a very snappy pedaller. One bike aint better than the other, they are just differant. Some of my friends actually preffer the Heckler over the Nomad.
    Personally I would choose a better spec'd Heckler, It would be easier & cheaper IMO to trade up the frame for a Nomad later on down the road if you wish, than start upgrading all the specs.
    I would try to get a test ride on both bikes. You may end up liking the Heckler better. If you get it only because it seems like a better deal right now, you may end up regreting this and keep thinking you should have got a Nomad.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    But what makes the Nomad so appealing is that VPP technology. But then I figure with heckler all you need to get is a good rear shock that helps eliminate pedal-induced bobbing and climbing on the Heckler should be a snap. Have you ridding your Heckler yet. Does the rear-end of the Heckler feel noodley on fast rocky descents?

- Why is VPP so appealing ? I've got a Nomad, the VPP ain't better, just differant. The biggest differance between the Nomad & the Heckler is that the Nomad is ultra plush. The Heckler is a little harsh on the small bumps. The Heckler has a shorter wheelbase, which makes it a great bike for tight singletrack & flying over things.

- Bobbing is gone. All the new platform shock eliminate bob. The Heckler is a great climber & pedaller anyway due to it's pivot placement.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Never tried the Heckler but if you can, try them both because there are a lot of people this year changing their Heckler for a Nomad and most of them seem very happy. Is it because it's a new toy or is it because the Nomad performs better, hum, I would tend to think both but I would be very surprised that it's only because it's a new toy.

Part wear out and/or break faster than a frame, cost less and are always fun to upgrade. I would definitely take the better frame with lesser parts then the lesser frame with better parts.

My 2 cents...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have test rode both Heckler and Nomad. The Heckler had a snappier feel to it only because the build kit on it was XC with a manitou air shock. I can only imagine what it would have felt like if it had a coil rear shock with a fox 36 vanilla fork. Then i test rode a Nomad. The bike was ultra-plush! it had the dhx air rear shock and the fox 36 talas fork. i felt like i was riding on a sofa. i need to find a LBS that gas a built up heckler with coil rear shock so i can compare it to the nomad.

Quote Originally Posted by BanzaiRider
    Never tried the Heckler but if you can, try them both because there are a lot of people this year changing their Heckler for a Nomad and most of them seem very happy. Is it because it's a new toy or is it because the Nomad performs better, hum, I would tend to think both but I would be very surprised that it's only because it's a new toy.

Part wear out and/or break faster than a frame, cost less and are always fun to upgrade. I would definitely take the better frame with lesser parts then the lesser frame with better parts.

My 2 cents...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I have test rode both Heckler and Nomad. The Heckler had a snappier feel to it only because the build kit on it was XC with a manitou air shock. I can only imagine what it would have felt like if it had a coil rear shock with a fox 36 vanilla fork. Then i test rode a Nomad. The bike was ultra-plush! it had the dhx air rear shock and the fox 36 talas fork. i felt like i was riding on a sofa. i need to find a LBS that gas a built up heckler with coil rear shock so i can compare it to the nomad.

I got the Fox Float R on mine, and still the bike is ultra plush. I guess any VPP bike with 6.5" of travel would be plush. The beauty of the Nomad that when you lay down the power it pedalls like a 4" XC bike.

TNC
    noMAD man

Heckler frame weight.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaMan
    The Heckler is a lighter frame, and is a very snappy pedaller. One bike aint better than the other, they are just differant. Some of my friends actually preffer the Heckler over the Nomad.
    Personally I would choose a better spec'd Heckler, It would be easier & cheaper IMO to trade up the frame for a Nomad later on down the road if you wish, than start upgrading all the specs.
    I would try to get a test ride on both bikes. You may end up liking the Heckler better. If you get it only because it seems like a better deal right now, you may end up regreting this and keep thinking you should have got a Nomad.
    Anyone have the actual weight of a bare Heckler frame? I've weighed Bullits, the Nomad, BLT, and others at the shop, but we haven't weighed a bare Heckler yet, for some reason. I can't imagine the Heckler is a much lighter frame because of the final build weights that I've seen. My guesstimate would be maybe .4 of a pound. Anyone have a good digital shop weight to post?

On the "one better than the other" concept, I almost hate to admit it due to my long love affair with my Bullits, that the VPP design has a strong bit of magic to it. My '03 Bullit and my Nomad weigh exactly the same, but there is no area of performance where my Bullit is superior to the Nomad, whereas the Nomad climbs better, pedals amazingly better through rock gardens, and corners better. It's not as dramatic as a "Bullit sucks, Nomad rocks" kinda comparison, but it's quite noticeable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I was just on weight weenies and a large Heckler with the DHX 5.0 coil and seat clamp is 7.91lbs. Subtract the weight of the shock and it is 7.01lbs. I don't know how much a seat clamp weighs on average, but I would say 20-30 grams? This should put the bare frame at just a tad under 7lbs.