Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 150
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    352

    NOMAD going to 148 boost

    there are some folks about Nomad change to 148 mm rear boost and some change in the VPP link to make ir better pedalIT comes soon!!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    429
    I'd love to see a boost Chameleon as well.

  3. #3
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,344
    all bike revisions will be Boost, at the least.

    Some will be SuperBoostPlus 157

    Yeah, more hostage standards !
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

    ― Albert Einstein

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pau11y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,895
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    Yeah, more hostage standards !
    You know, I'd like to find that a$$hat engineer who came up w/ this BOOST shit, and have his/her PE put under review for unethical practices...planned obsolescence!

    COMPLETELY ill-conceived and actually does NOTHING to their claim of a stronger wheel w/ even more (rear) disc and drive side spoke tension symmetry! Take a look at that Excel spreadsheet based spoke calc and you'll see the % tension getting worse when compared to a 142x12/135xX standards.

    Want some references? Look up what the owner/engineer of American Classic has to say about it!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

  5. #5
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,344
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    You know, I'd like to find that a$$hat engineer who came up w/ this BOOST shit, and have his/her PE put under review for unethical practices...planned obsolescence!

    COMPLETELY ill-conceived and actually does NOTHING to their claim of a stronger wheel w/ even more (rear) disc and drive side spoke tension symmetry! Take a look at that Excel spreadsheet based spoke calc and you'll see the % tension getting worse when compared to a 142x12/135xX standards.

    Want some references? Look up what the owner/engineer of American Classic has to say about it!
    Yup. As far as I'm concerned, it's just a justification for "Eagle" 12 speed and to force the industry to comply.

    SuperBoostPlus....14 speed can't be too war away. Pretty soon we will have cassettes as large as our rim diameters and RDs that drag the ground.

    Seriously....SRAM needs to devote resources to eliminating the RD, which forever remains the weakest link in modern mountain bikes, and cut the crap with all this new hub standard BS
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

    ― Albert Einstein

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    990
    unfortunately, i don't think that most engineers working in the private sector would be required to have a PE. that said, i agree w/ your sentiment 100%. planned/forced obsolescence is something we see in many industries (cars, software, etc)

    i also think that all marketing types must be required to take basic mechanics of materials before they are allowed to work in a bike company.
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    53
    heard the same new Nomad apparently a burlier build than the current one and boost of course

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by mentawais View Post
    there are some folks about Nomad change to 148 mm rear boost and some change in the VPP link to make ir better pedalIT comes soon!!
    Quote Originally Posted by alwync View Post
    heard the same new Nomad apparently a burlier build than the current one and boost of course
    Source?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    485
    Hope that they make the cockpit a lot longer as it is really short by modern standards. For example Pole Bicycles Evolink 150 in size Medium has longer reach than Nomad3 in size XL.

    https://www.polebicycles.com/framese...-150-frameset/

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,016
    The new Nomad needs the flip chip to run it in bike park mode, then flip it to run trail mode. Trail mode would have steeper HA and higher BB to make it better for pedaling around the trails. Fingers crossed.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    30
    Speaking as an engineer, I have never met a fellow engineer that has designed something with planned obsolescence. The goal is to design the best product that you can that meets the requirements and ideally, your design never needs changing because it's perfect.

    On the other hand, I HAVE seen marketing and business leadership embrace planned obsolescence under the guise of performance improvement. The bike world is just like any other industry. Get the most money you can from as many people as possible.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by Areanfsl View Post
    Source?
    I heard this yesterday from a very reputable shop in Whistler.

    - Coming July 1, 2017
    - SC wants to differentiate Nomad from Bronson by making Nomad a bit more aggressive
    - And of course they are going to increase the reach and add Boost to bring it in line with the new Bronson and 5010, plus new colours

    So my guess would be a coil shock option (finally, this bike NEEDS one), 170 mm fork instead of 160mm (both after-market upgrade many N3 riders are already doing ) and maybe an increase in rear wheel travel to 170 (like a Capra)

    And let's hope a return to colours that don't date themselves in 6 months .

    Mark yer calendars .....

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    59
    Burlier Nomad, with a flip chip, longer front end? If so then mine will be up for sale....

    I agree a trail and gnar mode would be awesome, makes sense to add burliness because of the Bronson...

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,883
    Quote Originally Posted by SCJG View Post
    I heard this yesterday from a very reputable shop in Whistler.

    - Coming July 1, 2017
    A year away!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
    A year away!
    Good catch Mr. Draper

    July 1, 2016

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,883
    Quote Originally Posted by SCJG View Post
    Good catch Mr. Draper

    July 1, 2016
    Now we are talking! I will be ordering one straight away and chopping in my Mondraker Dune XR.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: miles e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,951
    Quote Originally Posted by SCJG View Post
    July 1, 2016
    The Friday before a holiday weekend? Are we talking about a new bike, or the results of the Clinton e-mail investigation?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jmallory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    929
    I just went from a Gen 1 Bronson to a Gen 3 Nomad. If the new Nomad gets burlier, I'll be happy to stick with the Gen 3. Start pushing into too much bike to have it as your "Do Everything" rig.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,016
    Quote Originally Posted by jmallory View Post
    I just went from a Gen 1 Bronson to a Gen 3 Nomad. If the new Nomad gets burlier, I'll be happy to stick with the Gen 3. Start pushing into too much bike to have it as your "Do Everything" rig.
    I feel the same, N3 is currently a do it all bike, but any slacker or increase in suspension would make it tougher to pedal around. Bronson V2 may be the choice for do everything, N4 bike park and gnar slayer?

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    You know, I'd like to find that a$$hat engineer who came up w/ this BOOST shit, and have his/her PE put under review for unethical practices...planned obsolescence!
    I find it amusing when someone benefiting from 100s of small tweaks that have allowed mountain bikes to evolve into what they are today and then draw a line at the 101st tweak and say "What asshat did this?".

    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    COMPLETELY ill-conceived and actually does NOTHING to their claim of a stronger wheel w/ even more (rear) disc and drive side spoke tension symmetry! Take a look at that Excel spreadsheet based spoke calc and you'll see the % tension getting worse when compared to a 142x12/135xX standards.

    Want some references? Look up what the owner/engineer of American Classic has to say about it!
    Link? I don't claim that non-boost is crap, it's what I ride every day. It is however an improvement. Today's bikes are the result of a huge number of changes to slightly improve them. Seems like boost is just another one of those.

    I used to ride a 7 speed free wheel hub. Used to break axles fairly often and the upgrade to freehub was definitely noticeable. Since then standards have gone from 135mm to 142 mm (but same hub/flange width). After that they shrunk the non-drive side flange of the rear hub to make room for disc brakes. Of course 650b and 29" have come out since then which have a negative effect on wheel stiffness. So you either have to put up with less stiffness or use higher spoke tension.

    I was curious myself about boost148, so I build a spreadsheet of my own.

    I took numbers I found for chris king hubs:
    non-boost non-drive side = 36mm from center
    non-boost drive side = 21mm

    boost non-drive side = 39mm
    boost drive side = 24mm

    So the ratio of spoke tension for the same sideways force on the rim is a ratio of 1.687 for non-boost and 1.598 for boost. Around a 5.3% improvement.

    The 29" is the same 5.3% improvement.

    So basically boost gives you:
    * 5.3% more even spoke tension (could use lighter spokes, lighter rims, or have
    slightly stronger wheels for the same weight)
    * 11% more horizontal force on the rim (8% non-drive side, 14% drive side) for the
    same spoke tension (again you can have lighter or stronger).
    * for the level of effort (fancy frame contours etc) handle a 6mm wider tire
    * 6mm wider frame pivots to allow more stiffness between the rear triangle and the front triangle. Given how short the pivots are (often 30-40mm) this can be a big difference. Several frame builders claim significant improvements from this.
    * Potentially (again for the same effort) slightly shorter chainstays/wheelbase.

    The downsides? Incompatible with existing wheelsets unless you get an adapter.

    Sure if you have $$$$ older wheels, avoid boost, it's not that noticeable a difference. However if you are buying new I'd certainly recommend it unless you get a pretty good deal on a non-boost setup.

    Are all non-boost bikes crap? Of course not. Does it help? Certainly. Might it bring a slightly more durable or stiffer wheel to a lower price point? I think so. Sure I'd love a set of carbon hoops which makes a bigger difference in stiffness, but boost makes it that much easier for an aluminum rim to be just a bit better than the non-boost equiv.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: t0pcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by spikebike View Post
    I find it amusing when someone benefiting from 100s of small tweaks that have allowed mountain bikes to evolve into what they are today and then draw a line at the 101st tweak and say "What asshat did this?".



    Link? I don't claim that non-boost is crap, it's what I ride every day. It is however an improvement. Today's bikes are the result of a huge number of changes to slightly improve them. Seems like boost is just another one of those.

    I used to ride a 7 speed free wheel hub. Used to break axles fairly often and the upgrade to freehub was definitely noticeable. Since then standards have gone from 135mm to 142 mm (but same hub/flange width). After that they shrunk the non-drive side flange of the rear hub to make room for disc brakes. Of course 650b and 29" have come out since then which have a negative effect on wheel stiffness. So you either have to put up with less stiffness or use higher spoke tension.

    I was curious myself about boost148, so I build a spreadsheet of my own.

    I took numbers I found for chris king hubs:
    non-boost non-drive side = 36mm from center
    non-boost drive side = 21mm

    boost non-drive side = 39mm
    boost drive side = 24mm

    So the ratio of spoke tension for the same sideways force on the rim is a ratio of 1.687 for non-boost and 1.598 for boost. Around a 5.3% improvement.

    The 29" is the same 5.3% improvement.

    So basically boost gives you:
    * 5.3% more even spoke tension (could use lighter spokes, lighter rims, or have
    slightly stronger wheels for the same weight)
    * 11% more horizontal force on the rim (8% non-drive side, 14% drive side) for the
    same spoke tension (again you can have lighter or stronger).
    * for the level of effort (fancy frame contours etc) handle a 6mm wider tire
    * 6mm wider frame pivots to allow more stiffness between the rear triangle and the front triangle. Given how short the pivots are (often 30-40mm) this can be a big difference. Several frame builders claim significant improvements from this.
    * Potentially (again for the same effort) slightly shorter chainstays/wheelbase.

    The downsides? Incompatible with existing wheelsets unless you get an adapter.

    Sure if you have $$$$ older wheels, avoid boost, it's not that noticeable a difference. However if you are buying new I'd certainly recommend it unless you get a pretty good deal on a non-boost setup.

    Are all non-boost bikes crap? Of course not. Does it help? Certainly. Might it bring a slightly more durable or stiffer wheel to a lower price point? I think so. Sure I'd love a set of carbon hoops which makes a bigger difference in stiffness, but boost makes it that much easier for an aluminum rim to be just a bit better than the non-boost equiv.
    Your numbers seem correct and i like that the bike industry is getting off their asses and bringing some great equiptment to market but i really dislike the fact that they are doling this tech that they have sat on for years in dribs and drabs so that i must pay more for a highend bicycle than a high end dirtbike that will take me down a dirt track @ 100 mph when on the bicycle i might hit 30. ( im too old to be a park downhiller)
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    502
    Can anyone else verify that a new Nomad is going to be released in the next week or two? I just placed an order for a N3 frame with my LBS yesterday. Would not be very stoked if a new model is released before the frame is delivered...

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by t0pcat View Post
    Your numbers seem correct and i like that the bike industry is getting off their asses and bringing some great equiptment to market but i really dislike the fact that they are doling this tech that they have sat on for years in dribs and drabs so that i must pay more for a highend bicycle than a high end dirtbike that will take me down a dirt track @ 100 mph when on the bicycle i might hit 30. ( im too old to be a park downhiller)
    Heh, well there's a bunch of issues:
    * The barrier to entry to making a mountain bike is pretty low compared to a motorcycle.
    * As a result there's many more companies that sell them
    * Bikes last almost forever, you can easily ride an hour a two a day for a a decade on a mtb, seems like motorcycles don't typically A) get used that heavily used or B) last that long when they are.
    * People care quite a bit less about quality when they aren't the motor. An extra 5 pounds on a mtb is a MUCH bigger deal than an extra 5 pounds on a motorcycle.
    * The push for light weight means that building a mtb takes quite a bit of manual labor. Even things like bolts are more torque sensitive than the same bolt on a motorcyle.
    * humans are terrible motors, very cadence sensitive, and max RPM so low that it makes it quite hard on the suspension.

    So sure you can buy a motorcycle for $6k, but the general fit in finish will be more like a $1k mtb. Even take something simple like a brake lever. $6k MTBs have the materials (carbon fiber, titanium, and finely crafted aluminum) and fit/finish of a $30k motorcycle.

    So basically the "nice" mtbs (Like say a pivot mach 6, bronson, yeti, etc) sell in much lower volumes than the nice motocycles and require more technology and labor to make. Sure they weigh a small fraction of the weight, but they still consume significant R&D which can't be amortized over such large volumes. For similar reasons many more parts are standardized on mtb's. Brakes, transmission, and shocks are often made by a few companies (sram, shimano, fox, and rockshock).

    Those companies are of course trying to market themselves, protect their R&D budget, make a profit, etc. Seems like a high end dirtbike has many more parts from the same manufacturer.

    I suspect yamaha sees a MUCH higher fraction of the purchase price than santacruz.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,016
    Quote Originally Posted by spokeywheeler View Post
    Can anyone else verify that a new Nomad is going to be released in the next week or two? I just placed an order for a N3 frame with my LBS yesterday. Would not be very stoked if a new model is released before the frame is delivered...
    We usually see some sort of leak by now by someone spotting a new bike being tested. So far nothing. Santa Cruz has been a roll lately.....anything can happen.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: t0pcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by spikebike View Post
    Heh, well there's a bunch of issues:
    * The barrier to entry to making a mountain bike is pretty low compared to a motorcycle.
    * As a result there's many more companies that sell them
    * Bikes last almost forever, you can easily ride an hour a two a day for a a decade on a mtb, seems like motorcycles don't typically A) get used that heavily used or B) last that long when they are.
    * People care quite a bit less about quality when they aren't the motor. An extra 5 pounds on a mtb is a MUCH bigger deal than an extra 5 pounds on a motorcycle.
    * The push for light weight means that building a mtb takes quite a bit of manual labor. Even things like bolts are more torque sensitive than the same bolt on a motorcyle.
    * humans are terrible motors, very cadence sensitive, and max RPM so low that it makes it quite hard on the suspension.

    So sure you can buy a motorcycle for $6k, but the general fit in finish will be more like a $1k mtb. Even take something simple like a brake lever. $6k MTBs have the materials (carbon fiber, titanium, and finely crafted aluminum) and fit/finish of a $30k motorcycle.

    So basically the "nice" mtbs (Like say a pivot mach 6, bronson, yeti, etc) sell in much lower volumes than the nice motocycles and require more technology and labor to make. Sure they weigh a small fraction of the weight, but they still consume significant R&D which can't be amortized over such large volumes. For similar reasons many more parts are standardized on mtb's. Brakes, transmission, and shocks are often made by a few companies (sram, shimano, fox, and rockshock).

    Those companies are of course trying to market themselves, protect their R&D budget, make a profit, etc. Seems like a high end dirtbike has many more parts from the same manufacturer.

    I suspect yamaha sees a MUCH higher fraction of the purchase price than santacruz.
    I guess thats why ktm is making a big push in the american market with their bicycles, so they can loose money
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by t0pcat View Post
    I guess thats why ktm is making a big push in the american market with their bicycles, so they can loose money
    I didn't claim it was unprofitable. Just explaining why it seems like you get so much less for a $5k mountain bike than you do for a $5k motorcycle.

  27. #27
    Hi There!
    Reputation: TheGweed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,436
    Quote Originally Posted by SCJG View Post
    I heard this yesterday from a very reputable shop in Whistler.


    - SC wants to differentiate Nomad from Bronson by making Nomad a bit more aggressive
    - And of course they are going to increase the reach and add Boost to bring it in line with the new Bronson and 5010, plus new colours
    Is it just me, or does this not make sense?
    NTFTC

  28. #28
    bog
    bog is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,220
    Quote Originally Posted by thegweed View Post
    Is it just me, or does this not make sense?
    Just you. It makes perfect sense if you know that all SC bikes are getting boost.
    Tallboy3 CC : Nomad3 CC: Highball2 CC : Stigmata2 CC

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,016
    Quote Originally Posted by thegweed View Post
    Is it just me, or does this not make sense?
    Which part?

    Making nomad more aggressive?

    Or bring it in line?

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    121
    Well the conflicting statement on the surface is to simultaneously make it more and less like the bronson.

    But it makes sense to me, there's popular/well received changes to the newer SC bikes:
    * longer top tubes/shorter stems
    * boost148
    * flipchip
    * tweaks to the rear suspension/pivots

    But there is currently a fair bit of overlap between the Nomad and Bronson, makes sense to move the nomad a bit towards downhill.

  31. #31
    LCW
    LCW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,907
    SC will probably skip boost 148 on the next Nomad (IV?) and go straight to boosty boost 157 (like on the Pivot Switchblade)... Wouldn't be surprised to see a Nomad 29er soon...

    EVIL Following

    Surly Wednesday

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    SC will probably skip boost 148 on the next Nomad (IV?) and go straight to boosty boost 157 (like on the Pivot Switchblade)... Wouldn't be surprised to see a Nomad 29er soon...
    Boosty McBoost Face

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,016
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    SC will probably skip boost 148 on the next Nomad (IV?) and go straight to boosty boost 157 (like on the Pivot Switchblade)... Wouldn't be surprised to see a Nomad 29er soon...

    Nomad 29er? Just get a Hightower.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vice grips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,187
    One of my favorite bikes of all times when I think about what a bike was able to do for my riding and confidence was the vpFree. I did 20 mile rides to full dh gNar with my beloved vpfree. Im sure the current nomad back to back with a vpfree is just as capable on the dh but the nomad is a better jumping bike and of course a better trail bike and climber being over 10 lbs lighter. But the nomad has become the norm, with so many bikes with in the relm of its capabilitie. I think the new nomad will become along the lines of the current uzzi, which i would have if it was plastic like the tracer and nomad. Im pretty sure there's one of those in the works as well.

    Remeber how many people thought N3 would be to slack and low to be a good trail bike, and it would suffer on climbs. They had that video of the riders go up on the backs of mules instead of riding the bikes. I was suprized how well the N3 does every thing centered around riding up hill and just as a general do it all bike. The Uzis geo is spot on in my mind and every one that's gotten some time on it says it's a super playful fun bike, I think new nomad is along those lines
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,016
    Quote Originally Posted by vice grips View Post
    I think the new nomad will become along the lines of the current uzzi
    This seems to be the direction they are going.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by vice grips View Post
    One of my favorite bikes of all times when I think about what a bike was able to do for my riding and confidence was the vpFree. I did 20 mile rides to full dh gNar with my beloved vpfree. Im sure the current nomad back to back with a vpfree is just as capable on the dh but the nomad is a better jumping bike and of course a better trail bike and climber being over 10 lbs lighter. But the nomad has become the norm, with so many bikes with in the relm of its capabilitie. I think the new nomad will become along the lines of the current uzzi, which i would have if it was plastic like the tracer and nomad. Im pretty sure there's one of those in the works as well.

    Remeber how many people thought N3 would be to slack and low to be a good trail bike, and it would suffer on climbs. They had that video of the riders go up on the backs of mules instead of riding the bikes. I was suprized how well the N3 does every thing centered around riding up hill and just as a general do it all bike. The Uzis geo is spot on in my mind and every one that's gotten some time on it says it's a super playful fun bike, I think new nomad is along those lines
    I think the Nomad has historically set the tone for market over the years, especially the N3. Sounds corny to say "Game Changer" , but it feels like it was. I agree, a VP Free-esque Uzzi bike is what I'm after, for better or for worse. I think if the lower linkage drove the shock like the V10, it would be a really interesting differentiator. I'm not sure if that's old school logic, and the half trail half DH bike demand/ marketplace is gone with the 65* HA trail bikes of 2016.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    137
    My wish list for new Nomad:
    Flip chip for 63.5 or 65 head angle
    165-185/190 adjustable travel
    In bike storage like Specialized
    Blue and pink colour option

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vice grips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,187
    Quote Originally Posted by nolson450 View Post
    I think the Nomad has historically set the tone for market over the years, especially the N3. Sounds corny to say "Game Changer" , but it feels like it was. I agree, a VP Free-esque Uzzi bike is what I'm after, for better or for worse. I think if the lower linkage drove the shock like the V10, it would be a really interesting differentiator. I'm not sure if that's old school logic, and the half trail half DH bike demand/ marketplace is gone with the 65* HA trail bikes of 2016.
    Well the uzzi is all ready there, with an aluminum only option. Some guys are building them up as low as 28 with coil shock.

    I really don't want a longer TT on my nomad. Im 6'1.5" and like a large for what im doing with it and the trail i ride. And longer and I'd have a hard time getting it through some of the trail we have in NE. A lot of people say the n3 isn't that lively or poppy, i, wondering if they have sized up to get the longer TT.

    I really want to long shock my N3 before I try to replace it
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,883
    Santa Cruz are holding something in Morzine next weekend....

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pau11y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,895
    Quote Originally Posted by vice grips View Post
    I really want to long shock my N3 before I try to replace it
    Vice grips, just a heads up, I'm running my N3 (lrg) w/ a 8.75x2.75 (which gets you ~180mm) Float X2, and a Float 36 in 180. The bike is a bit tippy if you're not running ~30% sag on the rear. I'm also running ~25% sag in front. With this amount of sag, the tippiness isn't too bad.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vice grips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,187
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Vice grips, just a heads up, I'm running my N3 (lrg) w/ a 8.75x2.75 (which gets you ~180mm) Float X2, and a Float 36 in 180. The bike is a bit tippy if you're not running ~30% sag on the rear. I'm also running ~25% sag in front. With this amount of sag, the tippiness isn't too bad.
    Thanks for the 411, im running 37% in the back with a RS Monarch. Over all I can't be happier with the suspension in the back. I just got a new rear shock from RS because of a warranty issue. I haven't taken it apart yet to see if there's any volume spacers in there but it's way plushness than my DBACS was but with way more mid travel support, and with the way the travel ramps up no harsh bottom out. 100% surprized at how well it's been feeling. Im going to ask them if they are using differnt oil or something?

    The reason of wanting to long shocking it is to replace my hardly used M9. Did you try a 216x63 on the Hightower or just a x2? Im going to try fitting it also on my wife's spiderC. That bike with 145mm? Travel with a 150 fork I bet would be amazing! Thing is a crotch rocket, it just wants to explode from under you.

    But the pike is what's really holding the nomad back. I just can't get it to feel like I want it to. The pike on the Hightower, remedy, tracerC, spiderC all feel great but no natter what I do I can't get to what I want. Replaced pretty much every thing, think I've tried almost every oil. Just not buttery like my others? Think I'm going to try a 36 soon.
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jazzanova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,589
    Quote Originally Posted by vice grips View Post
    Thanks for the 411, im running 37% in the back with a RS Monarch. Over all I can't be happier with the suspension in the back. I just got a new rear shock from RS because of a warranty issue. I haven't taken it apart yet to see if there's any volume spacers in there but it's way plushness than my DBACS was but with way more mid travel support, and with the way the travel ramps up no harsh bottom out. 100% surprized at how well it's been feeling. Im going to ask them if they are using differnt oil or something?

    The reason of wanting to long shocking it is to replace my hardly used M9. Did you try a 216x63 on the Hightower or just a x2? Im going to try fitting it also on my wife's spiderC. That bike with 145mm? Travel with a 150 fork I bet would be amazing! Thing is a crotch rocket, it just wants to explode from under you.

    But the pike is what's really holding the nomad back. I just can't get it to feel like I want it to. The pike on the Hightower, remedy, tracerC, spiderC all feel great but no natter what I do I can't get to what I want. Replaced pretty much every thing, think I've tried almost every oil. Just not buttery like my others? Think I'm going to try a 36 soon.
    Avy open bath for the Pike!

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vice grips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,187
    That's an option i kind of forget about. Do they do a kit for the lyric? My friend just put one on his Bronson that thing looks stout
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ryanmj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by nolson450 View Post
    Burlier Nomad, with a flip chip, longer front end? If so then mine will be up for sale....

    .
    Been out for a while, its called a Rune

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    4,577
    Not going to lie, I will be very sad to see the current gen Nomad changed. The Bronson requires the rider to be on the front wheel all the time to maintain grip where the Nomad you can ride in a more relaxed manner when you feel like it. The most interesting part of the new bike will be how it pedals. The beauty of the Gen 3 is that you can do 40-50 miles on it if you want. It is truly a do everything bike from Park to XC.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ridge_Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    The beauty of the Gen 3 is that you can do 40-50 miles on it if you want. It is truly a do everything bike from Park to XC.
    I 100% agree with you on this, that's exactly how I use my Nomad.

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,016
    It would be a shame if they took the pedaling abilities from the Nomad. It's not the best choice for flat or xc style riding but it's manageable. Making it burlier with 180mm travel front and rear like an Uzzi and it would not be manageable. Now if they could use that flip chip with a Lyrik dual position 180/150 to go from park bike to trail bike that would be interesting.

  48. #48
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,344
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Not going to lie, I will be very sad to see the current gen Nomad changed. The Bronson requires the rider to be on the front wheel all the time to maintain grip where the Nomad you can ride in a more relaxed manner when you feel like it. The most interesting part of the new bike will be how it pedals. The beauty of the Gen 3 is that you can do 40-50 miles on it if you want. It is truly a do everything bike from Park to XC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridge_Rider View Post
    I 100% agree with you on this, that's exactly how I use my Nomad.
    Same here. Personally, I don't think the Nomad needs to be changed in the least.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

    ― Albert Einstein

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vice grips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,187
    Quote Originally Posted by BluePitch View Post
    It would be a shame if they took the pedaling abilities from the Nomad. It's not the best choice for flat or xc style riding but it's manageable. Making it burlier with 180mm travel front and rear like an Uzzi and it would not be manageable. Now if they could use that flip chip with a Lyrik dual position 180/150 to go from park bike to trail bike that would be interesting.
    I haven't spent any time on the current uzzi but everyone one that has one or has ridden one will tell me it peddles up hill as well as the tracerC or nomad. After hearing how the long shocked nomad mod works so well, I won't be surprised if the new nomad would be able to hang with the N3 on climbs. I really don't need more travel than my nomad for what im using it for. Or a longer TT, slacker HA, lower BB. But I wouldn't mind trying it out. I got my hands on one of the first batch of tracerC. Loved the bike. But when the nomad came out I thought why would I want that little bit extra travel, slacker lower geo and I ended up trying it and like it so much more. That made me think what am I missing with the uzzi? Im hoping to try one soon, even though I have a strong feeling there will me a carbon model of that soon. Never know how these bike will ride till you try them. I never thought I would be riding around a bike with this kind of geo and travel on the 15-25 mile rides we are all doing 5-6 years ago
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

  50. #50
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,344
    Personally, the concept of long-shocking the Nomad doesn't appeal to me in the least.

    With well designed suspension - ie ELEVENSIX and a Push tuned 36 -I've never felt the need for more suspension and the last 3/4" of fork travel is rarely used and reserved only for Oh Sh!T I Should Have Died moments

    A "slightly" higher BB would be somewhat welcome, however. I personally think the TT length and angles are perfect.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

    ― Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-27-2016, 07:25 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-26-2016, 05:03 AM
  3. Will older xx1 crankset with direct mount boost chainring work for boost
    By teamplayr in forum 26+/27.5+/29+ Plus Bikes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-04-2016, 02:59 PM
  4. Boost on the Nomad...its here!
    By BluePitch in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-28-2015, 07:49 PM
  5. Boost, rebound and velocity on nomad RP23
    By BLUR'b in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-10-2011, 06:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •