mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Nomad - Fox 36 TALAS setup feedback

I'd like to get feedback from folks using a Fox 36 TALAS on their Nomad. I have a 2008 TALAS that I'm having trouble getting setup to my satisfaction where small bump compliance is good. I've used Fox's setup guide and I find the ride harsh and the fork does not use all of its travel.

Setup:

2008 Nomad with Fox DHX 5.0 air & Fox TALAS 36 RC2
    Rider weight and height: 5 foot 10 inches, 148 lbs
    Fox's recommendation for air pressure = 53 psi

When I set the fork up for sag with my weight, I have less than 45 psi of air pressure. It seems odd that the guidelines would be off by 8 psi? With the sag set at 1.25 inches, I've also found it difficult to find a good rebound setting that provides a plush ride over roots and rocks. The best results seem to occur when I slow the rebound down, but this also seems counter intuitive so I'm looking for feedback from this forum on what's working ...

Freeriding Feline
    I don't know what my '08 TALAS is set at but the thing is still stiff as hell.
    I've been trying to break it in but no matter what I throw at it, it still looks like it's only compressing about half way down.
    Sorry, I just wanted to let you know I feel your pain.
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

banned
    It's amazing that no one sees all the postings I made of this and others who have had the issues with small bump sensitivity, as well as trouble getting full travel.

This screams of the prevalent no/low oil in the legs syndrome.

Yes, Fox isn't that precise as people have been pretending them to be. Several forks, including mine, have been reported to have been assembled and delivered with barely any oil or no oil at all.

Check your bath oil.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The 08 talas on my nomad has been fault free. I've set the sag to approx 30mm and they feel preety plush for an air fork, ( i still think spring is way better ). I am approx 187lbs and have about 55psi spring pressure, setup the low speed comp to hold the fork up a bit in its travel and the high speed to control it through its travel and it feels pretty good. i wouldnt worry too much what the pressure "should" be, but set it up to suit yourself ... your the one riding it. In saying that, i've havent checked my oil level yet , ( because i havent had a problem), but i'll certainly be doing it now .... thanks jerk_chicken ... oh and i havent seen the other comments about this problem before .... must get my head out of the sand!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jminn8086
    I'd like to get feedback from folks using a Fox 36 TALAS on their Nomad. I have a 2008 TALAS that I'm having trouble getting setup to my satisfaction where small bump compliance is good. I've used Fox's setup guide and I find the ride harsh and the fork does not use all of its travel.

Setup:

2008 Nomad with Fox DHX 5.0 air & Fox TALAS 36 RC2
    Rider weight and height: 5 foot 10 inches, 148 lbs
    Fox's recommendation for air pressure = 53 psi

When I set the fork up for sag with my weight, I have less than 45 psi of air pressure. It seems odd that the guidelines would be off by 8 psi? With the sag set at 1.25 inches, I've also found it difficult to find a good rebound setting that provides a plush ride over roots and rocks. The best results seem to occur when I slow the rebound down, but this also seems counter intuitive so I'm looking for feedback from this forum on what's working ...
    I think that the rebound problem may be because you are on the lighter side. The inherent stiction associated with the Talas system isnt going to help your case. I seem to rememberer reading in the suspension forum about lighter riders using lighter grade oil in the damping cartridge. Have a look on the 36 merged maintenance thread Fox 36 Talas Service Info Thread or maybe post this thread on the suspention forum

banned
    By any chance, do you use a Fox 36?

mtbr member
    I have just swapped my 08 float 36 for the same reason, I had the oils changed et...No matter how I tuned it, It was like a rigid fork on small bumps at low speed? Now waiting on my lyric coil to turn up??? I hope the crown don't creak???

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    SuperKat

I've been able to get the fork to fully compress by ignoring the setup guidelines and lowering the air pressure below the recommended settings. The issue I have is that the fork feel harsh through rock gardens and trails that have a lot of braking bumps, etc. I've experimented with different rebound settings with some effect, but have not found a setting that is ideal. Thinking the fork may be compressing to far into its travel, I go back to the recommended air settings and have the same issue you are having.

Freeriding Feline

36 Talas

jminn:

I actually just sent them an email describing some of the problems we've listed. I'm curious as to what their recommendations are. I'll forward it over to you if I hear from them.
    I'll be checking my air pressure this weekend prior to riding.
    Thanks,
    Kat
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

banned
    Check the MTBR DIY section, as I posted another article on how to do a quick lube of the air chamber.

My fork is smooth and practically stiction free.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken

are you talking to me Mr Chicken??? You know Ive got a 36!

Thanks to your leads re. 07 versus 08 36 cartridges Im going on my maiden voyage with my 08 cartridge on Sunday.

After spending a few hours on a 08 32 RLC forks (on a Blur LT2 Demo) last weekend Im realizing how dull my 36es are re. small to medium bumps. When I get my new Nomad, if it climbs ok with out resorting to Talas, Im thinking of doing the Float conversion.

banned
    Also check out my DIY that I posted on lubing air chambers. Mine is so smooth now since this service.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thank you Jerk_Chicken ... I will do so and thanks for all the other posts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    i am runnig a float 36 09 and i am superhappy with it, dont know how well the new talas works, but the 08 was certainly not the most sensitive fork...

mtbr member
    are you talkin to me Mr Chicken???

Re 36 Talas, after much jigging around I decided 36 Talas is not the fork for me so I procured an 08 36 Van R and swapped over my RC2 cartridge and presto, a great bump eating fork.

mtbr member
    Where is the MTBR DIY Section at? is it a forum? or somewhere else?

a.k.a Slacker
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ikarus189
    Where is the MTBR DIY Section at? is it a forum? or somewhere else?
    I had to do a little poking around a little bit, but here's the link directly http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/air-chamber-quick-lube/

mtbr member
    Also check out my DIY that I posted on lubing air chambers. Mine is so smooth now since this service.
    Your name fits to you a T. I called Fox Shock to order some crush washers for my 2009 Fox 36 Talas RC2 1.5 fork. I am planning on changing the oil in my fork before the season.I asked the guy from Fox about your- quick lube of the air chamber.Funny thing his response was don't do it that way.Your asking for trouble.So that being said.I plan on doing it the way Fox has it shown on their site.I hope people check with Fox before doing any of your back yard halfa** bike repair stuff.Both Fox and Rockshox have stuff on their web site to show you how to do some basic maintenance of the fork.I have seen some great postings by people how to service stuff,helpful and correct.Your's is neither. I just hope someone's fork doesn't get wrecked or malfunction after doing some of your tips.I would call or e-mail-Fox like the other guy did that is your best bet.I have called both Fox and RockShock for info both have been great.
    Last edited by JohnnyG 1970; 02-24-2009 at 01:43 PM.
    2011 Santa Cruz TallBoy carbon & 2013 TallBoy LT carbon - S/C All the Time !!!