mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Nomad final build

I made a bunch of last minute decisions when I ordered my Nomad. No ano black so I got ano slate instead. I also decided on the 36 RC2 TALAS instead of the Van. I got the DHX 5.0 Air and the XOAM build. I'm thinking of swapping out the Stylo cranks for XTR cranks, and the Juicy 7's for Marta SL's when it arrives. I'm probably just going to go with the 6 inch rotors.

Any comments so far? Any comments on the rotor size? Any comments on pedals (I've always used Time Control Z's but maybe it's time for a change). Any suggestions for further swap outs?

The bike will be used 95% for very aggressive technical trail riding, and 5% for chair/shuttle rides.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...kona
    I made a bunch of last minute decisions when I ordered my Nomad. No ano black so I got ano slate instead. I also decided on the 36 RC2 TALAS instead of the Van. I got the DHX 5.0 Air and the XOAM build. I'm thinking of swapping out the Stylo cranks for XTR cranks, and the Juicy 7's for Marta SL's when it arrives. I'm probably just going to go with the 6 inch rotors.

Any comments so far? Any comments on the rotor size? Any comments on pedals (I've always used Time Control Z's but maybe it's time for a change). Any suggestions for further swap outs?

The bike will be used 95% for very aggressive technical trail riding, and 5% for chair/shuttle rides.

Thanks.
    You're going to want larger rotors. You could keep the 6 in the rear, but I would put an 8 up front for sure.

All Mt, DH
    Probably go with 8 Inch fronts and 6 inch rear rotors...

If you plan on extended gravity riding go with 8 and 8.
    2007 Blur 4x
    2009 Driver 8

TNC
    noMAD man

After using an 8/6 setup...

on a couple of my bikes, I wound up installing the 8" front, 6" rear on all my bikes. Even on moderately aggressive trails, I like the 8" rotor in front. A 6" front rotor feels almost downright wimpy to me. Having been spoiled by the powerful front brakes on dirt and street motorcycles may have something to do with that also. It gives you much more confidence in using a powerful front brake, even on dirt.

Brakes..

Get the avids witht the 7" rotors front and rear, you will need them if you are going to be riding this bike to its full capabilities!

8" up front for sure. personally i'd got 7 or 8 on the rear too... i love my 8x8 setup on those long downhills.

Janis?

Thanks.
    Sounds like a nice (expensive bike). Hope John gave you a good deal. Did SC have the ano slate in stock? I'd like to see one in real life. How long did they say it would take for you to get it?

As an aside, I ended up with Candy SL's on mine (used Time previously). So far so good. I quite like them.

Late,
    JCD

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jcdawes
    Sounds like a nice (expensive bike). Hope John gave you a good deal. Did SC have the ano slate in stock? I'd like to see one in real life. How long did they say it would take for you to get it?

As an aside, I ended up with Candy SL's on mine (used Time previously). So far so good. I quite like them.

Late,
    JCD
    John was in Mexico at the time. I dealt with Doug mostly.

I tried to order the ano black, buy SC didn't have a large in stock. I got the ano slate so there wouldn't be too much of a delay. They ordered it 10 days ago. SC said 3 weeks tops. I'll believe it when I see it.

Do you like the Juicy's? I'm having a hard time with the brakes and crank. Everything else in the XOAM build looks pretty solid. I'm thinking of swapping the Stylo crank for an XT or XTR. I'm all over the map with the brakes. As usual, I'm overthinking this whole thing. I'm sure the XOAM build stock would be fine.

I'll PM you if you want when they tell me it's in. Marty will be building it upstairs so you can drop by if you like and have a peek at it. Better yet, we can tee up a ride for the spring.
    Last edited by mmmm...kona; 02-18-2006 at 03:58 PM.

Freeriding Feline

Sweet!

Sounds sweet. Pics ASAP please! I'm thinking of getting an ano Black w/ a DHX coil.
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

Redwood Dancer

check this out...

John was in Mexico at the time. I dealt with Doug mostly.

I tried to order the ano black, buy SC didn't have a large in stock. I got the ano slate so there wouldn't be too much of a delay. They ordered it 10 days ago. SC said 3 weeks tops. I'll believe it when I see it.

Do you like the Juicy's? I'm having a hard time with the brakes and crank. Everything else in the XOAM build looks pretty solid. I'm thinking of swapping the Stylo crank for an XT or XTR. I'm all over the map with the brakes. As usual, I'm overthinking this whole thing. I'm sure the XOAM build stock would be fine.

I'll PM you if you want when they tell me it's in. Marty will be building it upstairs so you can drop by if you like and have a peek at it. Better yet, we can tee up a ride for the spring.
    Heres some Avid input. The thread is pretty heated regarding Avid brakes.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...86976#poststop
    RAIL OR F*!%#!*^G BAIL