Thread: Nomad enough ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Nomad enough ?

I have read a few posts where riders purchased a Nomad only to find out they purchased more bike than they needed - the Nomad is quite burly. My question falls on the opposite spectrum. I had my mind set on a VP Free but am not a big hucker / jumper - I ride shuttled DH (Northstar) but mainly for rock gardens, drops of less than 4' & speed. I currently ride a 6" reared Bullit and love the versatility. I can run a DH with a DC, then switch to a SC fork for trail riding. What got me thinking Nomad was almost 2lb. less than a free, lower BB height, better trail manners if I ever converted to a trail bike. I'd run the Nomad in DH trim - 888 fork (65-66* HA) and Mavic 729 rims. Think the Nomad could handle DH or stick w/ a Free ?

TNC
    noMAD man

Interesting question.

Quote Originally Posted by keen
    I have read a few posts where riders purchased a Nomad only to find out they purchased more bike than they needed - the Nomad is quite burly. My question falls on the opposite spectrum. I had my mind set on a VP Free but am not a big hucker / jumper - I ride shuttled DH (Northstar) but mainly for rock gardens, drops of less than 4' & speed. I currently ride a 6" reared Bullit and love the versatility. I can run a DH with a DC, then switch to a SC fork for trail riding. What got me thinking Nomad was almost 2lb. less than a free, lower BB height, better trail manners if I ever converted to a trail bike. I'd run the Nomad in DH trim - 888 fork (65-66* HA) and Mavic 729 rims. Think the Nomad could handle DH or stick w/ a Free ?
    I feel that the Nomad is basically the Bullit's VPP counterpart. Can the Nomad handle DH?...I think so, but with some compromise in travel quantity. Keen, I notice you continue to look for the "one" bike. I don't think it exists, but the Nomad may be closest to anything else out there. SC says the Nomad will take a DC fork, and I don't doubt it. And even though I'm a proponent of running a tall fork on the Nomad because of its design, I wonder if anything over 7" might start to push the "tall fork" envelope...though a 7" DC fork is pretty capable. A Nomad with a DHX air or coil with a 7" DC might be fairly impressive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Good question. My advice to you would be to test ride a Nomad with the fork you want.
    From my little experiance on the Nomad, I felt best with a 140-150 mm fork. I cannot predict how a longer fork would affect it's steering, but that is something you must verify before making a decision.

Dirt Displacer
    I don't think you'd have any problems doing some DH on the Nomad.... as long as you don't bash into every rock/stump/crevice in the process, and huck of 10' drops to bad transitions or flats.
    The Nomad frame is really burly compared to a lot of "all-mountain" frames out there. Granted, it's not as built as a VPFree, but it's very, very close.

IMHO, the only thing that would make the VP better in the DH area is the slightly more slacked out headangle, and the little bit of extra travel. Throw a dual-crown fork or a long-travel single-crown on a Nomad and you'll be really close to the VP as far as ability to suck up gnarly trails.

A bunch of the DH guys were basically trashing the Nomad on it's DH capabilities & strength in this thread......

Nomad DH worthy ?

If anything, the Nomad would force you to become a better rider if you insist on going fast or big on the DHs. I've seen guys on hardtails blasting down mountains that a lot of other guys wouldn't touch on a 9" travel gravity sled..... It's all in how you handle your bike.
    Bombardier :::: MCM #249

[SIZE="5"]Trails Listings, GPS Tracks, & Forums[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="5"]Singletracks.com[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2005

Think the other way

Going by SC website I calculate without shock that the difference between a nomad and vpfree med frame is .916Lb/415g

Can anyone varify.............

Because if you built an ALL AIR vpfree (Fox DHXAir - Marz 66SL's) with the same component spec you'd put on a nomad, you'd have a light & versatile 7"+, big hit bike.