Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nomad and DHX2

mtbr member
    May 2014

Nomad and DHX2

As the new 2017 DHX2 is out with a climb switch and we are likely to see more of them as coil is cool again I thought it would be handy to have a thread going with peoples thoughts, settings and spring rates.
    Mine has been delayed but should be here this week. I weigh about 77kgs/170lbs and have a 350 SLS spring ready to go, hoping its not too light. According to the fox caculator it should put me bang on 30% sag.

Excited to give it a go over air and see if it was worth it.

What settings are people running? What spring for your weight?

Cheers,
    Rabbit from Australia

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Where did you get it from Rabbit?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
    Where did you get it from Rabbit?
    Bought it from my local LBS. They special ordered it from solasport (Aust fox distributor) but they sent the float instead so I'm still waiting for the DHX2 to rock up.
    Are you in Australia? Cyclinic has them for $929. If in USA universal cycles has them for $629us but you can use vip15 on checkout and it lowers it to $535 ($730aud). You could get it shipped to Aust but you'd have to use shipmate or whatever the Aust post local shipping forwarder is as they dont ship outside the US.

I'm a doctor too
    I've installed mine a couple weeks ago. Got it from Universal Cycles. Settings:

Riding weight: ~200 lbs
    Spring rate: 450
    Preload: ~1,5 turns

It's a little too soft for me, I need to lose more weight to "grow into" it (working hard on it!!) I compensated a little bit with compression damping. It's super plush, I'm slowly beginning to realize how much of an upgrade it is over the Vivid Air I had originally. Loving it!

Nomad and DHX2-img_3042.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thanks for the reply, your bike looks awesome! I think the orange coil will stand out a little on my blue and pink frame haha.
    What HSC/LSC etc settings are you running? I have no idea where to start when mine turns up.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Does the shock come with mounting hardware? if not what do I need? Can i use the hardware from the vivid?

I'm a doctor too
    Quote Originally Posted by B Rabbit View Post
    Thanks for the reply, your bike looks awesome! I think the orange coil will stand out a little on my blue and pink frame haha.
    Thank you! I tend to agree, love the look of this bike. I did see a Miami Nomad with the orange spring and it looked great too.

What HSC/LSC etc settings are you running? I have no idea where to start when mine turns up.
    I can't remember it all anymore unfortunately…I've been tweaking a ton Let's see though:

1. I set the preload adjuster to about 1 turn, which seems to yield about 35% of sag for me. Gotta lose more weight Make sure to keep all dials in soft/open positions for sag measurements, and assume your most common riding position.

2. I set all the dials to the recommended settings (http://www.ridefox.com/2016/dl/bike/605-00-142-revB.pdf), which is 9-12 clicks for my spring rate. I just went for 10.

3. And then I messed around. @woodyak gave me a ton of great advice. Here's what I remember:

- did the curb test to adjust LSR and HSR (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiHQd4mzl3Y) I think I was able to speed both up a bit.
    - made HSR a little slower
    - made LSC a little firmer
    - made HSC a little softer

Quote Originally Posted by woodyak
    The stock range is a great starting point and I'm pretty much in the range with all the settings. I like an active suspension so I run my HSC on the low side and my HSR on the slower side. I've been fine tuning my LSR and that's close to the middle, but I find I have to balance it with any LSC changes I make. I keep the LSC on the softer side as my normal trails pretty slow/chunky/technical. I add a couple of clicks for buffed out XC and jump trails. You can also tune a little with the coil but it's best to dial that in and leave it alone.
    Does the shock come with mounting hardware? if not what do I need? Can i use the hardware from the vivid?
    It depends on the shop. Guys at Universal Cycles included the hardware. I received quotes from different stores who asked ~$18 for it. I'm not sure about Vivid hardware, I didn't have the opportunity to check.

Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Did some research, shock doesn't come with hardware. Oh, it cant cost that much.....$38au......per end! plus shipping it's going to cost $90au....90!!! just to get this thing on the bike. What a rip!

Anyways, thanks for all that info, hopefully it'll be on the bike this weekend and I'll have a muck around with the settings, I hadnt seen that fox page, I'll use it as my starting point
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Did some research, shock doesn't come with hardware. Oh, it cant cost that much.....$38au......per end! plus shipping it's going to cost $90au....90!!! just to get this thing on the bike. What a rip!

Anyways, thanks for all that info, hopefully it'll be on the bike this weekend and I'll have a muck around with the settings, I hadnt seen that fox page, I'll use it as my starting point
    Cheers
    Is that just a bushing kit or does it include mounting hardware as well?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
    Is that just a bushing kit or does it include mounting hardware as well?
    Name:  Fox.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  8.5 KB
    Whatever this is.

I spoke to the guys at Cyclinic on the phone and asked them to double check that 21.84x8 is the right size. There was also 22.8 but maybe too tight? Anyway, I'm sure they'll get the right stuff too me as I stated it was for a Nomad.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Name:  Fox.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  8.5 KB
    Whatever this is.

I spoke to the guys at Cyclinic on the phone and asked them to double check that 21.84x8 is the right size. There was also 22.8 but maybe too tight? Anyway, I'm sure they'll get the right stuff too me as I stated it was for a Nomad.
    That's the whole shebang. Cyclinic are great in terms of speed and service but you have to pay for it. There are cheaper alternatives that offer great quality, but they take a couple of weeks to arrive.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Pe8er View Post

It's a little too soft for me, I need to lose more weight to "grow into" it (working hard on it!!) I compensated a little bit with compression damping. It's super plush, I'm slowly beginning to realize how much of an upgrade it is over the Vivid Air I had originally. Loving it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3042.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	495.2 KB 
ID:	1074687
    What spring size did you need? I'm just looking at JensonUSA and they show for a 2.5 to 2.75 inch stroke you use a 2.9 inch spring. Is this correct?

I'm a doctor too
    Quote Originally Posted by array View Post
    What spring size did you need? I'm just looking at JensonUSA and they show for a 2.5 to 2.75 inch stroke you use a 2.9 inch spring. Is this correct?
    I went for 2.75.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Pe8er View Post

Name:	IMG_3042.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	495.2 KB 
ID:	1074687
    Thanks for sharing this. I'm close to pulling the trigger on this shock and at a riding weight of about 205 I was going to go with the 450. I may give the 475 a try now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I am installing a dhx2 on a 2016 nomad this weekend. 325 spring for 150geared-up rider weight. It might be too soft, we will see. I'll report back.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by legitposter View Post
    I am installing a dhx2 on a 2016 nomad this weekend. 325 spring for 150geared-up rider weight. It might be too soft, we will see. I'll report back.
    I think you'll be bang on. The fox calculator says a 300 spring would put you at 30% sag. Not sure how accurate that thing is but. Let us know!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by legitposter View Post
    You should be fine. I'm about 165 geared up and the 350 spring is spot on w/o any preload. I could've probably done 325 with a couple of turns of preload.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Powder coat the spring magenta!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cmrocks View Post
    Powder coat the spring magenta!
    Can you powder coat a spring?

mtbr member
    ^^With a thermoplastic, not with a thermoset resin.

Have FUN!

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    New shock finally arrived, yay!
    Im about 77kgs/170lbs with a 350 spring, whilst it's a little hard to measure, i'm getting about 19-20mm sag with about 1.5 turns of preload. I might be tempted to try a 375 spring. Haven''t ridden it yet, set all my dials to 11 turns as per the manual for the spring rate and shock stroke. Shock feels slow on the rebound with these settings, will see how it feels on the dirt.
    Nomad and DHX2-img_3511.jpg
    Nomad and DHX2-img_3513.jpg
    Nomad and DHX2-img_3514.jpg

Will update over the next weekend

I'm a doctor too
    Oh momma. Told you orange spring looks hot on Miami Nomad!!

mtbr member
    May 2016
    New shock finally arrived, yay!
    Im about 77kgs/170lbs with a 350 spring, whilst it's a little hard to measure, i'm getting about 19-20mm sag with about 1.5 turns of preload. I might be tempted to try a 375 spring. Haven''t ridden it yet, set all my dials to 11 turns as per the manual for the spring rate and shock stroke. Shock feels slow on the rebound with these settings, will see how it feels on the dirt.

Name:	IMG_3511.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	444.8 KB 
ID:	1076375

Name:	IMG_3513.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	306.5 KB 
ID:	1076376

Name:	IMG_3514.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	233.7 KB 
ID:	1076377

Will update over the next weekend
    I just put a DHX2 on my Nomad, I'm 175 lbs and went with a 375 spring, seems to be the right spring weight, getting exactly 19 mm of sag. I set everything to 12 and rode it a bit last night, actually felt pretty good with those base settings. I'm heading to the mountains this weekend and will be messing around with it more.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    325# SLS worked well for me, 150ish geared up. I also bought a Renton Ti spring, 350# for bigger hit trails. It weighs 43g more than the SLS but I like the feel of it more. Feels more active. Maybe from higher spring rating requiring less preload, or maybe because its Ti. Either way I like them both and have been switching back and forth depending on hard hitting mountain rides vs XC fitness rides.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Was too wet to ride on the weekend. I'm hunting around now for a 375 Spring instead of a 350.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast