Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nomad and DHX2

mtbr member
    May 2014

Nomad and DHX2

As the new 2017 DHX2 is out with a climb switch and we are likely to see more of them as coil is cool again I thought it would be handy to have a thread going with peoples thoughts, settings and spring rates.
    Mine has been delayed but should be here this week. I weigh about 77kgs/170lbs and have a 350 SLS spring ready to go, hoping its not too light. According to the fox caculator it should put me bang on 30% sag.

Excited to give it a go over air and see if it was worth it.

What settings are people running? What spring for your weight?

Cheers,
    Rabbit from Australia

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Where did you get it from Rabbit?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
    Where did you get it from Rabbit?
    Bought it from my local LBS. They special ordered it from solasport (Aust fox distributor) but they sent the float instead so I'm still waiting for the DHX2 to rock up.
    Are you in Australia? Cyclinic has them for $929. If in USA universal cycles has them for $629us but you can use vip15 on checkout and it lowers it to $535 ($730aud). You could get it shipped to Aust but you'd have to use shipmate or whatever the Aust post local shipping forwarder is as they dont ship outside the US.

I'm a doctor too
    I've installed mine a couple weeks ago. Got it from Universal Cycles. Settings:

Riding weight: ~200 lbs
    Spring rate: 450
    Preload: ~1,5 turns

It's a little too soft for me, I need to lose more weight to "grow into" it (working hard on it!!) I compensated a little bit with compression damping. It's super plush, I'm slowly beginning to realize how much of an upgrade it is over the Vivid Air I had originally. Loving it!

Nomad and DHX2-img_3042.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thanks for the reply, your bike looks awesome! I think the orange coil will stand out a little on my blue and pink frame haha.
    What HSC/LSC etc settings are you running? I have no idea where to start when mine turns up.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Does the shock come with mounting hardware? if not what do I need? Can i use the hardware from the vivid?

I'm a doctor too
    Quote Originally Posted by B Rabbit View Post
    Thanks for the reply, your bike looks awesome! I think the orange coil will stand out a little on my blue and pink frame haha.
    Thank you! I tend to agree, love the look of this bike. I did see a Miami Nomad with the orange spring and it looked great too.

What HSC/LSC etc settings are you running? I have no idea where to start when mine turns up.
    I can't remember it all anymore unfortunately…I've been tweaking a ton Let's see though:

1. I set the preload adjuster to about 1 turn, which seems to yield about 35% of sag for me. Gotta lose more weight Make sure to keep all dials in soft/open positions for sag measurements, and assume your most common riding position.

2. I set all the dials to the recommended settings (http://www.ridefox.com/2016/dl/bike/605-00-142-revB.pdf), which is 9-12 clicks for my spring rate. I just went for 10.

3. And then I messed around. @woodyak gave me a ton of great advice. Here's what I remember:

- did the curb test to adjust LSR and HSR (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiHQd4mzl3Y) I think I was able to speed both up a bit.
    - made HSR a little slower
    - made LSC a little firmer
    - made HSC a little softer

Quote Originally Posted by woodyak
    The stock range is a great starting point and I'm pretty much in the range with all the settings. I like an active suspension so I run my HSC on the low side and my HSR on the slower side. I've been fine tuning my LSR and that's close to the middle, but I find I have to balance it with any LSC changes I make. I keep the LSC on the softer side as my normal trails pretty slow/chunky/technical. I add a couple of clicks for buffed out XC and jump trails. You can also tune a little with the coil but it's best to dial that in and leave it alone.
    Does the shock come with mounting hardware? if not what do I need? Can i use the hardware from the vivid?
    It depends on the shop. Guys at Universal Cycles included the hardware. I received quotes from different stores who asked ~$18 for it. I'm not sure about Vivid hardware, I didn't have the opportunity to check.

Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Did some research, shock doesn't come with hardware. Oh, it cant cost that much.....$38au......per end! plus shipping it's going to cost $90au....90!!! just to get this thing on the bike. What a rip!

Anyways, thanks for all that info, hopefully it'll be on the bike this weekend and I'll have a muck around with the settings, I hadnt seen that fox page, I'll use it as my starting point
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Did some research, shock doesn't come with hardware. Oh, it cant cost that much.....$38au......per end! plus shipping it's going to cost $90au....90!!! just to get this thing on the bike. What a rip!

Anyways, thanks for all that info, hopefully it'll be on the bike this weekend and I'll have a muck around with the settings, I hadnt seen that fox page, I'll use it as my starting point
    Cheers
    Is that just a bushing kit or does it include mounting hardware as well?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
    Is that just a bushing kit or does it include mounting hardware as well?
    Name:  Fox.jpg
Views: 3543
Size:  8.5 KB
    Whatever this is.

I spoke to the guys at Cyclinic on the phone and asked them to double check that 21.84x8 is the right size. There was also 22.8 but maybe too tight? Anyway, I'm sure they'll get the right stuff too me as I stated it was for a Nomad.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Name:  Fox.jpg
Views: 3543
Size:  8.5 KB
    Whatever this is.

I spoke to the guys at Cyclinic on the phone and asked them to double check that 21.84x8 is the right size. There was also 22.8 but maybe too tight? Anyway, I'm sure they'll get the right stuff too me as I stated it was for a Nomad.
    That's the whole shebang. Cyclinic are great in terms of speed and service but you have to pay for it. There are cheaper alternatives that offer great quality, but they take a couple of weeks to arrive.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Pe8er View Post

It's a little too soft for me, I need to lose more weight to "grow into" it (working hard on it!!) I compensated a little bit with compression damping. It's super plush, I'm slowly beginning to realize how much of an upgrade it is over the Vivid Air I had originally. Loving it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3042.jpg 
Views:	634 
Size:	495.2 KB 
ID:	1074687
    What spring size did you need? I'm just looking at JensonUSA and they show for a 2.5 to 2.75 inch stroke you use a 2.9 inch spring. Is this correct?

I'm a doctor too
    Quote Originally Posted by array View Post
    What spring size did you need? I'm just looking at JensonUSA and they show for a 2.5 to 2.75 inch stroke you use a 2.9 inch spring. Is this correct?
    I went for 2.75.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Pe8er View Post

Name:	IMG_3042.jpg 
Views:	634 
Size:	495.2 KB 
ID:	1074687
    Thanks for sharing this. I'm close to pulling the trigger on this shock and at a riding weight of about 205 I was going to go with the 450. I may give the 475 a try now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I am installing a dhx2 on a 2016 nomad this weekend. 325 spring for 150geared-up rider weight. It might be too soft, we will see. I'll report back.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by legitposter View Post
    I am installing a dhx2 on a 2016 nomad this weekend. 325 spring for 150geared-up rider weight. It might be too soft, we will see. I'll report back.
    I think you'll be bang on. The fox calculator says a 300 spring would put you at 30% sag. Not sure how accurate that thing is but. Let us know!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by legitposter View Post
    You should be fine. I'm about 165 geared up and the 350 spring is spot on w/o any preload. I could've probably done 325 with a couple of turns of preload.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Powder coat the spring magenta!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cmrocks View Post
    Powder coat the spring magenta!
    Can you powder coat a spring?

mtbr member
    ^^With a thermoplastic, not with a thermoset resin.

Have FUN!

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    New shock finally arrived, yay!
    Im about 77kgs/170lbs with a 350 spring, whilst it's a little hard to measure, i'm getting about 19-20mm sag with about 1.5 turns of preload. I might be tempted to try a 375 spring. Haven''t ridden it yet, set all my dials to 11 turns as per the manual for the spring rate and shock stroke. Shock feels slow on the rebound with these settings, will see how it feels on the dirt.
    Nomad and DHX2-img_3511.jpg
    Nomad and DHX2-img_3513.jpg
    Nomad and DHX2-img_3514.jpg

Will update over the next weekend

I'm a doctor too
    Oh momma. Told you orange spring looks hot on Miami Nomad!!

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Im about 77kgs/170lbs with a 350 spring, whilst it's a little hard to measure, i'm getting about 19-20mm sag with about 1.5 turns of preload. I might be tempted to try a 375 spring. Haven''t ridden it yet, set all my dials to 11 turns as per the manual for the spring rate and shock stroke. Shock feels slow on the rebound with these settings, will see how it feels on the dirt.

Name:	IMG_3511.jpg 
Views:	821 
Size:	444.8 KB 
ID:	1076375

Name:	IMG_3513.jpg 
Views:	2187 
Size:	306.5 KB 
ID:	1076376

Name:	IMG_3514.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	233.7 KB 
ID:	1076377

I just put a DHX2 on my Nomad, I'm 175 lbs and went with a 375 spring, seems to be the right spring weight, getting exactly 19 mm of sag. I set everything to 12 and rode it a bit last night, actually felt pretty good with those base settings. I'm heading to the mountains this weekend and will be messing around with it more.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    325# SLS worked well for me, 150ish geared up. I also bought a Renton Ti spring, 350# for bigger hit trails. It weighs 43g more than the SLS but I like the feel of it more. Feels more active. Maybe from higher spring rating requiring less preload, or maybe because its Ti. Either way I like them both and have been switching back and forth depending on hard hitting mountain rides vs XC fitness rides.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Was too wet to ride on the weekend. I'm hunting around now for a 375 Spring instead of a 350.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I've got a Nomad c and I'm going to order a DHX2 soon. At 75kg I'm not sure if I should go for 375, 400, 425 or 450 springs.

I like my bike to be a bit firmer than average for some races I do which have quite long tarmac stretches before the dirt starts. Running 30% sag on my previous bike with a DSP coil shock was an exercise in wasting energy.

I'd be looking for 20 to 25% sag on that setup if I bought a new spring... unless the climb switch was very effective.

So my question is this. Compared with the pedal function on a recent Monarch Plus, how effective at firming up the stroke is the 2 position adjuster on the DHX2? When pounding the pedals, is there still the feeling of wasted energy?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    The car park test of the climb switch feels like it has a huge difference between settings.
    but I still havent had it out on the trail, its been too wet here lately.
    If you like it a litte firmer and your are 75kgs I'm guessing 400 will do you well. or 425 if you want to be safe/extra firm.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I've procured a dvo heavy steel spring in 400lbs to test out before I drop the cash on a fox sls. Good news about the climb switch being very effective though. I don't think the one on the Monarch does enough to firm the ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Okay...here's my dilemma...and it's a good one.

I love my 2016 Nomad with the Monarch Plus. I used to have a 2016 Bronson and the Fox Float CTD sucked! I switched that to a Cane Creak and loved it so I can tell the difference between crap vs. good vs. dope. For my riding ability on the Nomad the Monarch is good...bike rides sweet. Everyone is saying how dope the DHX2 is though. I don't know anyone that has it so I can't demo it.

I also want Derby rims and I'd feel way too foolish getting both! The Derby wheel set is basically double the cost.

Which upgrade do you all think is the best...?

FYI...I'm a decent rider who loves jumping, drops and anything with fast air time. I've been riding about 2 years now and race the beginner class during the couple races I do every year.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    It is said by bike designers that geometry is the most important thing, followed by suspension.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I'd say both are worthy upgrades. I'd probably go wheels if there was a decent weight saving on offer. Having said that what about a DHX2 AND a set of Light Bicycle 38 wheels?
    In Australia derby wheels are about $2000. A set of LB 38's and DHX2 comes to roughly $2100.
    Just a thought

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JbernardDanville View Post
    Okay...here's my dilemma...and it's a good one.

I love my 2016 Nomad with the Monarch Plus. I used to have a 2016 Bronson and the Fox Float CTD sucked! I switched that to a Cane Creak and loved it so I can tell the difference between crap vs. good vs. dope. For my riding ability on the Nomad the Monarch is good...bike rides sweet. Everyone is saying how dope the DHX2 is though. I don't know anyone that has it so I can't demo it.

I also want Derby rims and I'd feel way too foolish getting both! The Derby wheel set is basically double the cost.

Which upgrade do you all think is the best...?

FYI...I'm a decent rider who loves jumping, drops and anything with fast air time. I've been riding about 2 years now and race the beginner class during the couple races I do every year.
    Well first off I wouldn't feel foolish getting both but it can be hard to justify the cost, especially these days.

I have the DHX2 and the LightBicycles carbon wheels. IMO I'd go rear shock upgrade all the way. Carbon rims are a significant upgrade but rims can be a wear and tear item. I have cracked a few carbon rims and blew up a couple of AL rims in my time and it really sucks. The shock won't do that and will keep you smiling. I should mention a couple of my buds have picked up the X2 for their Nomads and they are thrilled with the shock. I'm still glad I went with the coil though.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

Nomad dhx2 prep

Hello. Thanks for starting this thread. Receiving company bonus in August and going to put a dhx2 on my nomad. Trying to do my research first and this thread is money! Looks like most folks are going 25 or 50 lbs more than the spring rate calculator suggests. Maybe because of the nomads extreme falling leverage ratio?
    Nomad and DHX2-image.jpg
    Here is a screen shot of my spring weight calculator.
    Nomad and DHX2-image.jpg
    Please offer any feedback or issues you notice. I'm a little confused by how much sag preference affects suggested spring. I run my monarch debonair between 30 and 35% sag depending on trail steepness and my pike at 25% sag. Should I concider less sag on a coil shock? How does preloal adjustment affect sag?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    As it stands in my tiny brain right now I'm thinking I will order a 400lb spring but this seems higher than anyone else. Also, I have spent a lot of time and research on tuning practices and understanding the effects of all four channels of damping.(ccdba on my bronson). Let me know if anyone is interested in reading a very long and detailed tutorial on tuning (sorry there is no short version or quick and easy way to get this right). But once you dial it, took me four riding days or about 12 four minute downs on the same trail, you are set and good to go with only minor tweet if traveling to very different trail conditions.

mtbr member
    Thinking of upgrading from the vivid air, which is pretty good, to a dhx2 to try to squeeze a little more performance out of this beast. Seems like people are really liking the coil on the nomad. So, like scjeremy said, is bumping up the spring rate the way to go to achieve 30% sag ? The spring calculator puts me at 450, i'm about 225 w/gear, but thinking 500-525 may be the sweet spot. Luckily I live near universal cycles and could possibly swap if one is to soft but would like to get it right off the bat. Looking forward to getting one asap. Also, how are the base settings working for everyone ? Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by broccoli rob View Post
    Thinking of upgrading from the vivid air, which is pretty good, to a dhx2 to try to squeeze a little more performance out of this beast. Seems like people are really liking the coil on the nomad. So, like scjeremy said, is bumping up the spring rate the way to go to achieve 30% sag ? The spring calculator puts me at 450, i'm about 225 w/gear, but thinking 500-525 may be the sweet spot. Luckily I live near universal cycles and could possibly swap if one is to soft but would like to get it right off the bat. Looking forward to getting one asap. Also, how are the base settings working for everyone ? Thanks
    It's always a tough call on spring rate. The calculator worked well for me and gave me a 350 spring for my 165lb. riding weight. A couple other heavier riders I know had to bump up an extra 50 from the calculator recommendation to get the right feel out of it. One buddy had his shop guy override the calculator recommendation with the heavier spring and it was spot on. You could also give Fox a call as well. Their usually pretty good with that.

Yeah, no problems with staying within their recommended settings. I've played around going beyond the recommended settings but I always end up resetting and it feels right then. I do run the LSC and HSC on the lower end of the recommended to get the plush feel that I like.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by broccoli rob View Post
    I'm 180 naked and use a 500lb spring to get 30% on my nomad geared up. Started with a 450lb spring but it was too soft. Might be worth giving fox a call. I was able to talk to a guy that was riding the same setup and close to my weight which helped me figure out which spring to get. The calculators suggested about 400lb but that would have been way too soft.

I was running a monarch plus before and this is a huge upgrade. I've ridden the vivid air briefly and was really impressed. I wasn't on it enough to say quite how it compares to the DHX2 but both are oodles better than the monarch.

The base settings are a range of clicks, like 8-11, to start in. I started at the least damped end of the spectrum for me and have been fiddling on each ride. It's a good enough starting point to get you going. Biggest thing for me is balancing bottom out protection with sensitivity. I never felt the air sprung shocks bottom out on the nomad but it's somewhat common for me so far on the DHX2.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. guys. I did talk to fox and they basically said that spring curves and how they affect the feel of the bike are more based off rider preference. As in some people prefer the softer feel of a light spring and some the more supportive feel of heavier. So yeah, didn't really get a direct answer but that the spring calculator is a good starting point. Going by the real world users on this thread and at my weight i'm going to go with the 500lb spring, maybe 475lb. Looks like I will have a few weeks to think about it since fox seems to be backed up in getting these out.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    I have a v10 with this same shock. I weigh 170-175 and have the 475lb spring. Never thought to try one on my nomad. It looks really good!
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SCjeremy View Post
    As it stands in my tiny brain right now I'm thinking I will order a 400lb spring but this seems higher than anyone else. Also, I have spent a lot of time and research on tuning practices and understanding the effects of all four channels of damping.(ccdba on my bronson). Let me know if anyone is interested in reading a very long and detailed tutorial on tuning (sorry there is no short version or quick and easy way to get this right). But once you dial it, took me four riding days or about 12 four minute downs on the same trail, you are set and good to go with only minor tweet if traveling to very different trail conditions.
    I'm interested in reading the tutorial

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I'm 78kg today and I've ordered a 425 SLS.

mtbr member
    Woodyak is right, the spring rate is hard to guess, especially with the whack leverage curve the Nomad has due to the VPP.

FWIW, I have an Avy tuned RC4, weight about 200, and had to run a 450 SLS spring to get ~30% sag. PUSH posted their spring rates awhile ago for the Nomad (in the Nomad thread), and they had a 200lb rider on a 450 as well.

YMMV.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Hello Array! You were asking which spring length did another person get. Same issue I have, Jenson only shows 2.9...is this ok?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by array View Post
    I just put a DHX2 on my Nomad, I'm 175 lbs and went with a 375 spring, seems to be the right spring weight, getting exactly 19 mm of sag. I set everything to 12 and rode it a bit last night, actually felt pretty good with those base settings. I'm heading to the mountains this weekend and will be messing around with it more.
    which spring length did you finally get in Jenson?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    For the 2.5x8.5 stock you'll need to get the 2.75" spring. I just installed one on my Nomad (first coil shock) and it's a huge upgrade over the stock Monarch RC3+. Much improved traction and sensitivity and more support at the same time.

Riding weight 160#
    Spring 350#
    Sag about 33%
    All clicks at 12 for now, rebound was spot-on for the curb test. Tuning will need some rides on different terrain but feels good out of the box.

I'm not 100% sure at which point i'm starting to preload the coil vs. just tightening it in place, but it looks like I'm about 1.5 turns of preload.

The "climb" switch makes it feel like a hard tail, much firmer than the Monarch. Will use only when grinding long fireroads. On single track it climbs just fine in the open position, better than the Monarch as it feels like it sits higher in the travel.

Total weight increase (can't call it penalty) is an unnoticeable 277g/0.6lb, which is less then I expected. See pics below on scale with mounting hardware installed. Shock w/out coil is 437g.

Thanks for everyone's input on the forum!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I think its probably worth going .25lbs heavier then the Fox calculator, but I dont know if I'd go much more then that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by saucerboy View Post
    I'm interested in reading the tutorial
    I have had a lot of success with these methods. Always start with manufacturers base tune for your bike if available and use these methods to fine tune to your preferences. You will need a trail with a jump or drop that can produce a bottom out, and some rough terrain (roots or rocks). Also you need to run the same section of train at least 3 times in one session. I spent three riding days on the same trail. If you put in the time you should not need to make further adjustments often or ever.
    1. High speed compression. Find that jump or drop. SEND IT. Even to flat. Did you feel a bump or abrupt bottom out feeling? If not, you need to reduce your HSC until you are bottoming out. Then add three clicks of HSC back on. This will ensure you are using the full travel and potential of your shock.
    2. High speed rebound. The goal is similar to the goal of tuning your HSC in that you want to reach the definitive "too much" level then just back off a few clicks. (Side note: increasing damping means restricting oil flow, so increasing rebound damping is slowing down the return of your shock. This is sometimes confusing to people switching from suspension products with cartoons, rabbit and turtle, to four way adjustable products. ) HSR is essential for proper traction through rock, roots, and braking bumps, it basically forces your rear tire to the ground as the ground changes under your rear tire. I like to find a smaller, faster, more 'lippy' jump to set this up. Hit the jump and increase HSR on each run until you start to feel your rear end buck up. Once you feel this buck, dial back a couple clicks and you should be golden.
    3. Now on to low speed settings. Low speed setting only affect the feel and performance of your shock as is moves through the beginning of it's travel. Low speed setting are also less concrete and more subject to preference. I have often made low speed compression adjustments well after the ride after reflecting on the overall feel of my bike.
    4. Low speed compression. Increase LSC to support pedaling support and decrease LSC to produce a plush ride feel over small bumps. On a shock with a climb switch go as plush as you like.
    5. Low speed rebound. LSR kind of works in support of LSC and to the same objective. A little more for traction, a little less for comfort. The base tune will likely be very close for the low speed settings. I end up reducing LSC and leaving LSR close to base tune because plush > pedaling. These are great to adjust if traveling to different terrain or entering a pedally race.
    6. These are just my amateur experience based methods. I'm not a professional mechanic or racer. I'm a surfer who has become hopelessly addicted to biking for the past five years. Good luck and happy tuning.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikericci View Post

That's lighter than my pig
    Ohlins Weight by Chazz Michael Michaels, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I took delivery of my dhx2 and transfer dropper an hour ago. Oh my gosh they look unreal on the stealth Nomad.

I haven't got cranks yet so I was unable to check the sag. First impressions are very positive. I'm pumped.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    80kg
    425lbs SLS
    19mm sag / 30%

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hey b rabbit. Where did you get the decals for your lb rims and your dhx2? They look awesome.Nomad and DHX2-img_1803.jpg
    This is my rig that's in desperate need of some dhx2 action. Does anyone know if you can retrofit an 8.75x2.75 dhx2 with a Cs?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Highig

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    This is my bike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nomad and DHX2-imag2061_1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Here is my Nomad built up.

I have only used it on the road and down some steps but I think the spring weight is spot on.

I've been on a diet and I'm now 73.5kg naked. With riding gear and a Camelbak I think I will be about 76kg. The 425 spring is definitely not too firm. I'll be looking to go higher in a few months when I gain some mass again.

Damping wise, I've set it stock, which I think is about minus 12 on all settings. I went two clicks quicker on low speed rebound because it felt a bit dead. I might go a click or two firmer on low speed comp. Base settings are a good baseline though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nomad and DHX2-imag2080.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I weigh 88kg and I've bought a 425lbs spring for my 8.75" dhx2 which is what's recommended. I guess I've gone for to light a spring hey.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Had my first decent run on the weekend, I love this shock! The climb switch is very firm and worked great for some fireroad climbimg.
    Shock felt amazing on the decents, need to take it to some aggressive terrain, but so far im stoked!

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Are you on the 350 or 375 spring? And your weight?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I had my first go today on a 425lbs spring and the small bump compliance was terrible. I weigh about 90kg riding. I'll have a crack tomorrow with less high speed compression. Do you guys think I'm running to soft a spring? It's hard to tell if you're using all the travel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Getting close to pulling the trigger on one of these. Does a coil shock in general make the Nomad more "poppy"?

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I never rode the Nomad with an air shock. I bought the frame used and sold the Monarch off the bat.

Regarding the spring, at 15kg heavier than me I would say your spring is too light for your weight. What sag are you getting @Saab? Not that easy to measure eye to eye but you can slide the bottom out bumper up to the shock body and see how far it gets pushed down when you stand on the pedals. That's how I measured mine.

If it sags more than 20 or 21mm your spring is too soft.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I believe I had to much pre load in making the small bump terrible. Running the right pre load I realise now I have to much sag but I've ordered an over priced sls 500lbs spring which will hopefully arrive early next week. I'll report my findings then.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    375 spring and 75-78kgs

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jaame View Post
    I think the spring weight is spot on.

I've been on a diet and I'm now 73.5kg naked. With riding gear and a Camelbak I think I will be about 76kg. The 425 spring is definitely not too firm. I'll be looking to go higher in a few months when I gain some mass again.
    What sort of sag are you getting? I'm the same weight, or a little more and the 375 spring seems good, surpirsed the 425 works. I need to more measure my sag more accurately.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Name:	IMG_3511.jpg 
Views:	821 
Size:	444.8 KB 
ID:	1076375

Name:	IMG_3513.jpg 
Views:	2187 
Size:	306.5 KB 
ID:	1076376

Name:	IMG_3514.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	233.7 KB 
ID:	1076377

How you liking the DHX2 on your Nomad? And where did you get the aqua + magenta decal on the piggyback?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I'm having a tough time deciding which spring rate to get. I just rode my buddies Nomad with a DVO Jade coil installed. I'm about 165 lbs in gym clothes and he's about 180 lbs. His bike has a 450 lbs spring installed and it felt great. I know I need a lighter spring than him but I'm worried about going too light now. I'm debating between a 400 and a 425 lbs spring. Judging by how good his bike felt, I'll likely go with a 425 lbs. That just seems high for my riding weight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    https://youtu.be/A1PuEaJ23u4

Here's a video of the crappy spring fox sent me. Apparently this isn't an isolated incident and now I can't even get a spring for my bike. Can fox get anything right? EXPLODING x2s and now this. What happened to their qc?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SaabG View Post
    I believe I had to much pre load in making the small bump terrible. Running the right pre load I realise now I have to much sag but I've ordered an over priced sls 500lbs spring which will hopefully arrive early next week. I'll report my findings then.
    I'm 81 kg and running a 500lbs sls spring. 475 felt too soft and sagged too much. I still bottom out occasionally but don't want to run more compression. Shock feels great aside from the bottoming out though.

https://youtu.be/A1PuEaJ23u4

Here's a video of the crappy spring fox sent me. Apparently this isn't an isolated incident and now I can't even get a spring for my bike. Can fox get anything right? EXPLODING x2s and now this. What happened to their qc?
    I was given one that was too long to fit inside the shock despite being the correct size. Talked to the fox guy and he said it was just made way outside their length tolerance. Was supposed to be something like +/- .25'' and mine was off by a full inch. They sent me a new one quickly. I appreciated the quick response but it does raise and eyebrow that it could be off by that much.

mtbr member
    So what's the safest bet for buying Fox shocks today? 2017 Float X2 maybe?

Sent from my Grand using Tapatalk
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C XX
    2015 Santa Cruz Nomad CC XX1

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyFreeman View Post
    So what's the safest bet for buying Fox shocks today? 2017 Float X2 maybe?

I'm picking up my 2017 Fox DHX2 on Thursday, riding on the weekend. Will report back as soon as I have some time on it. Can't wait!

mtbr member
    Thanks! And I'm jealous lol.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I'm a pinch over 70kg now and I've been giving my dhx2 w/425 a lot of work.

I haven't had chance to check sag again yet, but on downhill blasts it feels pretty awesome. I bottom it occasionally off a flat drop of about a metre to a metre and a half high. I can hear it bottom.

Running 65psi in my 2015 Fox 36 with one blue and one orange spacer, high speed comp full open, it never bottoms. I get a little over 160 travel.

I reckon for rough DH I could go a bit softer, but for all day riding and some berms and g outs, the spring rate is spot on. I do like it quite firm, but not too much.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    71.8kg in shorts, tee shirt, no shoes.
    Sag measured at 14-15mm, or 22-23%
    425 spring

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    425 spring
    Thanks.

I just checked last night and I'm 75 kg in gym clothes. I'll go with the 425 spring as well. That should get me close to 30% sag in riding gear.

mtbr member
    425 spring
    Thanks a lot. Your input is really useful to me since I weigh similarly with gears and mostly drop off 1-1.5 metre down.

Btw, 22% sag and you still bottom it out by just 1.5 metre drops... This really warns me of limitation of coil shock. Since I don't want to buy multiple springs for multiple riding situations, Fox Float X2 seems fit me better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyFreeman View Post
    Thanks a lot. Your input is really useful to me since I weigh similarly with gears and mostly drop off 1-1.5 metre down.

Btw, 22% sag and you still bottom it out by just 1.5 metre drops... This really warns me of limitation of coil shock. Since I don't want to buy multiple springs for multiple riding situations, Fox Float X2 seems fit me better.

You should be able to control bottoming with additional HSC.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Got my shock installed last night and had it setup by a professional suspension tuner. He looked at my Monarch settings and said that I was typical of Monarch owners, running too much sag. His comment was that most people run the Monarch too soft so it feels plush because if you run them with more pressure, they feel very harsh.

Anyway, the Fox DHX2 is set up with a 400 lbs spring (I'm 165-170 lbs depending on the day). That gave me 25% sag in the attack position. Before I bought this shock, I borrowed my buddies DVO Jade coil with a 450 lbs spring and absolutely loved it. I never checked the sag with that shock but it must have been way too stiff. The fork is setup at 20% sag in the attack position. He also removed 5mm worth of spacer to lower my handlebars a bit.

I pedaled around my neighborhood a bit last night and the shock feels good. I pedaled up a paved hill for a while and it felt efficient wide open. The climb switch made it feel even better. I rode through some ditches at speed and dropped off some curbs etc. It felt very composed and plush. I'll be going out riding tomorrow on some very familiar trails so I'll report back with a review after that.

mtbr member
    Got my shock installed last night and had it setup by a professional suspension tuner. He looked at my Monarch settings and said that I was typical of Monarch owners, running too much sag. His comment was that most people run the Monarch too soft so it feels plush because if you run them with more pressure, they feel very harsh.

Anyway, the Fox DHX2 is set up with a 400 lbs spring (I'm 165-170 lbs depending on the day). That gave me 25% sag in the attack position. Before I bought this shock, I borrowed my buddies DVO Jade coil with a 450 lbs spring and absolutely loved it. I never checked the sag with that shock but it must have been way too stiff. The fork is setup at 20% sag in the attack position. He also removed 5mm worth of spacer to lower my handlebars a bit.

I pedaled around my neighborhood a bit last night and the shock feels good. I pedaled up a paved hill for a while and it felt efficient wide open. The climb switch made it feel even better. I rode through some ditches at speed and dropped off some curbs etc. It felt very composed and plush. I'll be going out riding tomorrow on some very familiar trails so I'll report back with a review after that.
    Did he set the dials for you? If so, can you share what he set them to? And if you had to change them on your ride.

400 sounds about right. I'm 155-ish and went with the 350 spring with a turn or so of preload which gets me in the 30% range. I'd like to try the 375 but not at that price.

Bodhisattva
    Exactly. Because it's a turd of a product.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    Exactly. Because it's a turd of a product.
    I reshimmed mine to open it up some, and then it felt okay. Also went to a LV air can and that gave it a good bit of end ramp up.

Off the shift the (older) Monarch Plus needed some tweaking, but you can get it to feel good.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    Did he set the dials for you? If so, can you share what he set them to? And if you had to change them on your ride.

400 sounds about right. I'm 155-ish and went with the 350 spring with a turn or so of preload which gets me in the 30% range. I'd like to try the 375 but not at that price.
    Yeah, he set the dials. I don't have the information on hand right now but I'll check when I get home.

I just rode around the neighborhood last night. Everything felt good. Rebound was slower than I was used to. I'm going for a big ride tomorrow and I'm going to leave the clickers where he set them for at least half the day before making any adjustments.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    I reshimmed mine to open it up some, and then it felt okay. Also went to a LV air can and that gave it a good bit of end ramp up.

Off the shift the (older) Monarch Plus needed some tweaking, but you can get it to feel good.
    until the performance starts to deteriorate, which happens after heating up on a long descent or after a month of riding....whichever occurs first.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    You should be able to control bottoming with additional HSC.
    Ummm you maybe right.

So the solution for me is, getting the right spring (30-40% sag coz I like plush bike) then add HSC to compensate and to prevent bottoming.

BTW, I don't know how far the HSC adjuster can help prevent me from bottoming out given that a plush spring is installed and then I take the bike to 1.5-2 meters drop off. Sorry for newbie doubt. I've never had a coil shock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    40% is a ridiculous amount of sag. I wouldn't run anymore than 30% max if I were you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    40% is a ridiculous amount of sag. I wouldn't run anymore than 30% max if I were you.
    Agreed.

You want to keep the bike in the "pocket" when it comes to sag. Too little sag and you'll bouncing all over the place because the bike will be sitting in the regressive portion of the leverage curve. Too much sag and the bike will actually be harsh instead of plush because it will be sitting where the stroke starts to ramp up significantly.

mtbr member
    Agreed.

You want to keep the bike in the "pocket" when it comes to sag. Too little sag and you'll bouncing all over the place because the bike will be sitting in the regressive portion of the leverage curve. Too much sag and the bike will actually be harsh instead of plush because it will be sitting where the stroke starts to ramp up significantly.
    I did 40 sometimes with the Monarch because it's so harsh. I've never owned a coil shock before just looking around for info before buying. sorry.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Certainly I agree about bottoming of a medium drop even when only running low sag. However, I could easily tune that out by adding a bit of HSC. As it is, I am more than happy to have it bottom once or twice a ride. Yes, you could get a Float X2 and have the benefit of adding volume bands, but then I think you would also be missing out on that coil shock butter feeling and gains in traction.

Bottoming only means you're using all the travel anyway. Getting the right spring weight is key I guess.

mtbr member
    Certainly I agree about bottoming of a medium drop even when only running low sag. However, I could easily tune that out by adding a bit of HSC. As it is, I am more than happy to have it bottom once or twice a ride. Yes, you could get a Float X2 and have the benefit of adding volume bands, but then I think you would also be missing out on that coil shock butter feeling and gains in traction.

Bottoming only means you're using all the travel anyway. Getting the right spring weight is key I guess.
    Nice, thank you for your kind info

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I got two rides in over the weekend with my new DHX2 installed. For those of you familiar with the areas, I rode Mt Fromme on Saturday (Bobsled, 7th, Leppard, Crinkum, Griffeths) and Squamish on Sunday (fairly pedally XC ride with Crouching Tiger to finish). I'm 165 lbs and running a 400 lbs spring. Fork is a Fox 36 at 170 mm. I run Maxxis WT tires - DHF front and DHR2 rear - on Derby wide rims. I run between 18 and 20 psi front and 20 and 22 psi rear.

It's different than what I was expecting. Prior to buying this shock, I borrowed a buddies DVO Jade. The Fox is a lot more damped feeling than the DVO. It's not as plush but it feels incredibly controlled. The best way I can describe it is that it doesn't feel like the geometry of the bike changes at all. It feels like the bike maintains it's position and the suspension works underneath it.

At first, I thought it was too stiff. After getting some more time on it, I still think it's stiff but I'm starting to really like it. I want to get 4 or 5 solid rides on it before I start messing with anything. It's probably still breaking in right now. I want to make sure that I'm not confusing mid-stroke wallow from the Monarch with plushness. I might just need to re-calibrate what properly working suspension is supposed to feel like.

I'm currently setup with 25% rear sag and 20% front sag. This is quite a bit stiffer than what I'm used to but this is what the suspension shop recommended. I'm going to try it this way for a while then possibly try it again with 30% rear and 25% front sag.

What I've noticed the most is how well the bike tracks. It feels extremely composed and it instantly responds to cornering inputs. I'm tackling tight switchbacks with much more ease now. The front end doesn't want to climb or wander anymore. It goes right where it's pointed. Same with climbing. I'm not getting any pedal strikes now and climbing traction is unreal.

I did a fair bit of climbing this weekend; probably 1500 meters or so. The climb switch makes a huge difference. With the switch closed, the bike just digs in and goes; especially when my tires were aired up a bit. I couldn't believe how well it motored up fire road climbs. Any type of fire road climbing, use the switch! I rode a green level XC climb trail. Fairly mellow, it follows the highway grade, slight incline but it meanders back and forth and has lots of roots. On this trail, I tried both with and without the climb switch. Traction is definitely improved without the climbing switch but it definitely doesn't surge ahead with the same authority on pedal strokes as it does with the climb switch. Once we got to the trails, I left it open and completely forgot about it. No issues climbing open. I prefer to climb standing up in a slightly harder gear and it felt great in this scenario.

Going down, it's the same, very composed. I find that I'm hitting things more aggressively and more confidently than before. Stuff that I would roll my way through before, I found that I was just smacking into it or launching off it. Definitely improved in that regard. Jumping was improved. I wouldn't call the bike poppy but that's fine, the Nomad isn't supposed to be poppy. It jumps very predictably compared to the Monarch though.

I still find it a bit stiff compared to what I'm used to but I don't want to mess with it yet because the chassis control is so amazing. I think after a couple more rides, I'll re-calibrate what it's supposed to feel like. I'm going to call the suspension tuner later today and relay how I felt and see what his suggestions are. I know there's a fairly small range of clicker adjustment for every spring/body weight combination. I'd like to try going to the softer end of this small range of adjustment. I'd also like to try it with a softer spring so I can get 30% sag.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    @cmrocks I have a 375lbs spring and I weigh 165lbs in gear, which results in 31% sag, right in the middle of the SC recommended range for the Nomad.

Is your sag measurement seated or "attack" positon? You could reduce the preload amount to increase sag.

Fox also has the tuning baselines on the website for each spring rate/stroke combination. I have all the dials at the default setting for now expect for a little faster rebound. I also need to take the time to tune it a little more to really get the most out of it.

I started with a 350lb spring and it was too soft on g-outs and small drops.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mikericci View Post
    @cmrocks I have a 375lbs spring and I weigh 165lbs in gear, which results in 31% sag, right in the middle of the SC recommended range for the Nomad.

Is your sag measurement seated or "attack" positon? You could reduce the preload amount to increase sag.

Fox also has the tuning baselines on the website for each spring rate/stroke combination. I have all the dials at the default setting for now expect for a little faster rebound. I also need to take the time to tune it a little more to really get the most out of it.

I started with a 350lb spring and it was too soft on g-outs and small drops.
    Sag was measured in the attack position.

I had SuspensionWerx in North Vancouver set everything up for me. They have their own baseline compared to Fox. Off the top of my head, I don't know how their settings compare to Fox. I'll check that when I get home.

I'd like to try adjusting the clickers before going to a lighter spring. I really like the chassis support that the current setup is giving. I'd just prefer the suspension to be a bit plusher. It's also easier to adjust clickers rather than change the spring. If that doesn't work, I'll try a 375 lbs spring. I'm definitely used to running more like 30% sag with the Monarch so that might be the ticket. Lots of adjustment and tune-ability with these shocks. Looking forward to playing around with it some more.

mtbr member
    Sag was measured in the attack position.

I had SuspensionWerx in North Vancouver set everything up for me. They have their own baseline compared to Fox. Off the top of my head, I don't know how their settings compare to Fox. I'll check that when I get home.

I'd like to try adjusting the clickers before going to a lighter spring. I really like the chassis support that the current setup is giving. I'd just prefer the suspension to be a bit plusher. It's also easier to adjust clickers rather than change the spring. If that doesn't work, I'll try a 375 lbs spring. I'm definitely used to running more like 30% sag with the Monarch so that might be the ticket. Lots of adjustment and tune-ability with these shocks. Looking forward to playing around with it some more.
    Don't know if you have the room, but have you given this a thought...supposed to take off about 25# of spring weight by removing the twist loading.

Performance Shock Spring Bearing
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post

Here's how it's currently setup, all measured counter-clockwise from fully closed:

Fork
    70 psi (20% sag)
    LSC: -14
    HSC: -16
    Reb: -12

Shock
    400 lbs spring (25% sag)
    LSC: -12
    HSC: -11
    LSR: -15
    HSR: -11

I found these settings a bit stiff and over damped so I talked to the guy today and he suggested that I take out an additional 2 clicks of LSC and 1 click of LSR. I'm going to try that when I get a chance; probably Wednesday night if I get my lights setup. I'm also going to play around with taking out a click or two of HSC.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Also, with regard to LSC and HSC, is skipping over a rocky/rooty section of trail at speed primarily low speed compression or high speed compression? I would guess that it's high speed because the suspension shaft speed would be reacting fairly quickly. This makes me think that I also might want to open up the HSC circuit a bit more as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Thanks for the detailed posts. I am finding them interesting and informative.

Regarding the compression damping. I was also of the belief that small chatter was high speed compression territory, but last week there was a video on Pinkbike from Vorsprung Suspension. I think it is called Springs vs Dampers or something. He mentions in that that very small movements will be the territory of low speed compression damping. On my first day on the DHX2 I did notice the back end wandering a bit in that kind of terrain, but I also thought it coukd be the rear tyre which is a Spec Slaughter Grid 2.3. I is my first semi slick.

Anyway I opened the low speed compression up by a click and it has really made a palpable difference to back wheel traction in flat loose turns.

Out of interest as I have the same fork as you, what volume spacers are you using? Are you getting full travel?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks for the detailed posts. I am finding them interesting and informative.

Regarding the compression damping. I was also of the belief that small chatter was high speed compression territory, but last week there was a video on Pinkbike from Vorsprung Suspension. I think it is called Springs vs Dampers or something. He mentions in that that very small movements will be the territory of low speed compression damping. On my first day on the DHX2 I did notice the back end wandering a bit in that kind of terrain, but I also thought it coukd be the rear tyre which is a Spec Slaughter Grid 2.3. I is my first semi slick.

Anyway I opened the low speed compression up by a click and it has really made a palpable difference to back wheel traction in flat loose turns.

Out of interest as I have the same fork as you, what volume spacers are you using? Are you getting full travel?
    I opened LSC, HSC and REB by one click on my fork. On the shock, I opened up LSC and HSC by 2 clicks and LSR by 1 click. I didn't get a chance to go for a real ride but pedaling around my yard, riding down a staircase and dropping off a 2' ledge, the bike feels better. I'm surprised the clickers make such a big difference on the shock.

To be honest, I've never had my fork apart myself so I'm not sure how many volume spacers I have. Whatever they come with stock. I bought the fork in May 2015 if that helps at all.

I definitely get full travel on my fork. On the average ride, the oring is usually 5-10 mm from bottoming out. I bottom the fork, as in clanging off the stops, once every 2 or 3 rides, usually on a hard g-out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I have a 350lbs SLS orange spring for sale since I replaced it with a 375lbs instead. PM me if interested. Size is 2.75" (for the Nomad 2.5" stroke). Ridden less than a 100 miles.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I've been doing some thinking about the leverage curve of the Nomad and how it will work together with a coil spring vs. air spring. I've also been playing around with the shock spring rate calculator on Fox's website.

I think I should be on a 375 lbs spring. I'm running a 400 lbs spring right now and I'm getting 25% sag. This is probably too little for the Nomad because of the extreme rising leverage ratio. I realize a coil is more linear than an air shock but I had to run my Monarch at like 35% sag to get full travel, and even then, I've only bottomed the rear shock maybe 5-10x in the two years that I've owned the bike.

mtbr member
    FWIW. be careful with that Fox Calculator. With the stock settings on there, it tells me to run a 400lb spring to get 30% sag at my weight, 195 lbs. In reality, I have to run a 450 to get there, and it's still only about 28 or 29%.

YMMV.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    FWIW. be careful with that Fox Calculator. With the stock settings on there, it tells me to run a 400lb spring to get 30% sag at my weight, 195 lbs. In reality, I have to run a 450 to get there, and it's still only about 28 or 29%.

YMMV.
    I've noticed that calculator is extremely sensitive to the sag parameter. It suggests a 350 lb spring which I know is too light.

I'm at 25% sag right now with a 400 lb spring so a 375 lb spring should be good. The suspension shop has loaner steel springs so I can try out a few different weights until I get it dialed then commit to a SLS spring.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post

YMMV.
    Fox calculator gave me 325# but I'm using 375# to get the right sag. Seems like it's consistently too low by 50lbs. When I emailed Fox they suggested 400#... so hard to find good data when buying a spring. At $130 each it's an expensive trial & error process.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast