mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Nomad with a cross country feel

So like many of you I'm waiting for my XL Nomad and I've changed my mind on what fork I want. Right now I'm trying to decide between an All Mountan 1 or All Mountan SL.

Anyone care to weigh in?

TNC
    noMAD man

Fork weights.

Quote Originally Posted by jynxfactor
    So like many of you I'm waiting for my XL Nomad and I've changed my mind on what fork I want. Right now I'm trying to decide between an All Mountan 1 or All Mountan SL.

Anyone care to weigh in?
    How much weight difference between an AM1 and a 66SL? If the true weight of an AM1 is less than 5lbs., then maybe it's worth getting over a 5.7lb. 66SL for weight weenie purposes. Otherwise I'd still go with the beefier 66SL. I tend to think that many who look toward a Nomad as a more XC oriented machine might be disappointed. I love mine, and it's an awesome bike in gnarly terrain, but it's really more like a VPP Bullit IMHO.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    How much weight difference between an AM1 and a 66SL? If the true weight of an AM1 is less than 5lbs., then maybe it's worth getting over a 5.7lb. 66SL for weight weenie purposes. Otherwise I'd still go with the beefier 66SL. I tend to think that many who look toward a Nomad as a more XC oriented machine might be disappointed. I love mine, and it's an awesome bike in gnarly terrain, but it's really more like a VPP Bullit IMHO.
    I agree with TNC, I would go for a fork that gives you more than the 150 allowed by the All Mountain. I know that for steep rough descends I would totally dig 170 on a Nomad. I would get the 66 light. Run it on ETA for the ascends and then run it at 170 the rest of the time. But that is just me. It really sucks that Marzocchi didn't do the 66 Light with the TAS like the Z1 Light only they should have done it 150-170, on a bike like the Nomad that would have been the perfect fork.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    From what I've been told the All Mountain 1 weighs in at 4.7 lbs and the SL at 4.1 lbs without the steer tubes.

Regretably most of my riding is done with "THE GIRL" (no offence to any of the ladies here) and her riding is deffinatly more XC in nature (and she does put the beatdown on me on the climbs, wench! but I've got her on the flats and the DH's) So I'm looking for something relatively light weight thats conducive to climbing

But regardless up here in AK there isn't much dedicated to DH. Most of the worthwhile rides here are +25 miles and it's not like I go out of my way to hit drops, of course I don't shy away from them either. So I think the 66 might be a bit overkill for me. Plus I like a more leaned over stance when I ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Easy

[QUOTE=jynxfactor]From what I've been told the All Mountain 1 weighs in at 4.7 lbs and the SL at 4.1 lbs without the steer tubes.

Regretably most of my riding is done with "THE GIRL" (no offence to any of the ladies here) and her riding is deffinatly more XC in nature (and she does put the beatdown on me on the climbs, wench! but I've got her on the flats and the DH's) So I'm looking for something relatively light weight thats conducive to climbing

But regardless up here in AK there isn't much dedicated to DH. Most of the worthwhile rides here are +25 miles and it's not like I go out of my way to hit drops, of course I don't shy away from them either. So I think the 66 might be a bit overkill for me. Plus I like a more leaned over stance when I ride.[/QUOTE

Go with the all mountain 1 you will add a bit of weight but you will have the eta for fireroads and smooth climbs.

Too Much Fun

Go 66SL !!

Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    How much weight difference between an AM1 and a 66SL? If the true weight of an AM1 is less than 5lbs., then maybe it's worth getting over a 5.7lb. 66SL for weight weenie purposes. Otherwise I'd still go with the beefier 66SL.
    The 66SL isn't the LIGHTEST fork out there by a longshot, but its also not the heaviest. My Nomad is going to come in JUST under 30 (my goal,) with the 66SL. And we still haven't cut down the steerer!
    - -benja- -