mtbr member

Nomad chain problems??

Has anyone had a problem with chains breaking on their Nomad? I was running a PC-99 SRAM chain on my Nomad and it broke twice. I don't know if this problem was the chain or the increased stress on the chain due to the VPP. My buddy rides the same chain on his Moment and has never had a problem. The last time it broke I wasn't shifting and I'd say the stress on the chain was low. I rode a blur for 3 years with a shimano CN7701 and never had a problem. This would led me to believe that the problem was the chain, except for my buddies experience. I was think the extra travel of the Nomad may cause extra stress.

Any thoughts??

TNC
    noMAD man
    Same or different chain? Though I'm more partial to Shimano chains over SRAM, I wouldn't think you'd have that problem that frequently with a PC99. I work at a shop, and I'd say we've had a few more problems with SRAM chains than Shimano...even with many more Shimano chains running out there. Regardless, it sounds more like a bad individual chain than an overall problem. You didn't mention where the chain is breaking...at the master link or elsewhere. Also, is the rest of your drivetrain new or old? Also, do you have a chain retention/control device of any kind on your Nomad. I've seen some of them have a tendency to "shave" the side plate pins where they rub on the aluminum arm on some designs. Then on the other hand, longer travel bikes like the Nomad can have chain problems without some chain control device in really harsh terrain where the chain flails harshly. I have an MRP-LRP on my Nomad that does a nice job of babying the chain.

On your comment about VPP being hard on chains, I don't think they're "hard" on chains. In fact I've been running Bullits since '99, and I think they exert as much force on a chain in rocky areas where you're still trying to pedal and power your way through. In the most extreme cases, I've even had my foot jarred loose from a clipless pedal when hanging up on rocks while pedaling. I've never felt this degree of drivetrain feedback on my Nomad after months of use.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The vpp bikes have alot of chaingrowth towards the end of the travel. You should let the air out and put the bike in big ring big ring to check if you have enough slack in your chain to accomadate the change in length. Definately more than a Horst linkage....

TNC
    noMAD man

Big ring???

Quote Originally Posted by GspotRider
    The vpp bikes have alot of chaingrowth towards the end of the travel. You should let the air out and put the bike in big ring big ring to check if you have enough slack in your chain to accomadate the change in length. Definately more than a Horst linkage....
    What's that?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    What's that?
    Come on TNC! Size does !

mtbr member
    Yep i checked this out today and compared it to a Horst Link equipped bike. Not the most scientific testing method but it did point out this issue i reckon. I pushed down on the seat to compress the suspension on the Nomad and the rear derailleur pivoted towards the front of the bike a noticable amount. Did the same thing on the Norco and didn't notice the rear derailleur move anywhere near as much. My chain is set up properly on the Nomad too.

TNC
    noMAD man

Seriously though...

Come on TNC! Size does !
    Yeah, one can look at that lower rear pivot system and see that the rear wheel is going to move rearward noticeably, but I wonder what other design issue is dramatically lessening that rear wheel "hang up" sensation that I get with my Bullits? It's practically unnoticeably on my Nomad. I guess the high forward pivot on the Bullit is the main issue.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Was the chain from SC in the bike kit?

We had three of them break fro SC Sram Kits. I think it was a bad run on the chains. All of them broke on BLT's. One broke twice on the same bike and the third just once. Then they all went to chain heaven and replaced with XT chains.

Too much monkey motion going on I guess!

mtbr member
    I'm pretty convinced that the VPP puts a little more stress on the chain than a suspension design that does not use chain tension to stiffen the rear under power. I removed the SRAM chain, which was only 6 months old, and it had stretched considerably. I had never seen this with Shimano chains that I had run on my Blur. Needless to say I replaced the SRAM chain with an XTR chain. I have run them for years, on both mountain and road, and never had a chain failure. This was my first experience with SRAM chains. I think I'll be sticking with Shimano chains from now on.

Riding dirt since 1970
    I've been using sram/sachs chains since around '99, and have never broken one. Frames yes, chains no. On the other hand, my wife seems to average about one breakage a year (I think she's shifting under too much load). In any case, the only way a suspension system could put any stress on a chain greater than pedaling forces is if it's too short, otherwise it's just pulling on the derallier.
    Med. Nomad C for sale

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by lifer
    In any case, the only way a suspension system could put any stress on a chain greater than pedaling forces is if it's too short, otherwise it's just pulling on the derallier.
    Uh, actually, the whole design of the VPP is to use chain tension to keep the suspension from bobbing. That IS an additional stress. Ever feel the pedals kick back? Well, that is a sharp "impact" force on the chain above and beyond the pedaling tension. The VPP chain must propel the rider forward while also lifting the weight of the rider during hard pedaling to keep the suspension stiff.

mtbr member
    not really related, but i test rode a Nomad today that had a triple set-up. i thought that was a little odd. folks really use the big ring?