mtbr member
    Jan 2006

NOMAD & Chain Guides - Advice wanted

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on chain guides. I've noticed from photos in the forums that a number of people are using Nomads with either the MRP or e-Thirteen guides on.

On a number of my trails I notice a lot of noise coming from my chain hitting the FD at the moment as I running 3 rings up front. I hardly use the largest so that can go straight away and really only need the granny ring very rarely so I'm prepared to get rid of that if necessary as well. I know there are some dual rings out there as well but I suspect that won't get rid of the noise problem.

I'm looking at MRP System 1 or e-Thirteen SRS with 4 bolt pattern, but not sure about the mounting options etc and would like recommedations from users. Running with a Truvativ Stylo at the moment but likely to go to XT soon. Both are external BB and 4 arm so should ok there I hope.

Thanks,

Dave

truth seeker
    I'm putting an e13 DRS guide on mine - didn't want to give up the small chainring since I plan to do some substantial climbing. The DRS guide is quiet and works very well. If you have any questions about the DRS guide, give the e13 people a call - they have a reputation for excellent customer service.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I'm thinking of using GAMUT P20 chainguide. They look Kool and very lightweight, check them out!

mtbr member
    My roomate is running the truvative box guide on his nomad. The only thing I don't like about it is that it requires the use fot the truvative bashring that is a huge plastic pieve that sticks out quite a bit. He likes this system alot.

After a short break in period, the system ran with minimal added friction and is very quiet. He had to put a chamfer on the mounting plate to get clearance for the truvative x-type bottom bracket.

Just thought I'd throw out another option that seems to work quite well.

i'm using a Gamut G25. I don't have a nomad.. but another vpp bike.. intense 6.6.
    extremely light.. 195grams for the whole setup. the P20 is a tiny bit heavier, but still very light. It's really easy to set up, and quiet.

TNC
    noMAD man

MRP-LRP & e13

I use an e13 bashring with an MRP-LRP. I can't imagine doing away with the granny ring for a great all-around bike like the Nomad. I think the MRP-LRP chain roller and arm are very effective without adding much friction to the drivetrain...very quiet too. The only reason I went to the e13 bashring was that I changed from a 5-bolt crank to a 4-bolt crankset and had to change bashrings. The MRP-LRP arm and roller is easy to install behind the BB cup and works excellently. A dual roller DH chainguide system seems like waaaay overkill for a Nomad.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dirt Displacer
    I've got the E.13 DRS on my Nomad, it works perfectly and is damn near silent.... although I'd consider using the setup on TNC's Nomad, if anything because it looks cooler...
    Bombardier :::: MCM #249

[SIZE="5"]Trails Listings, GPS Tracks, & Forums[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="5"]Singletracks.com[/SIZE]

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"

HEIM 3 guide

I've been running a HEIM 3 guide on mine.

It's very simple, light and adjustable. It has a handfull of unique features. Construction is of thin sheet stainless steel with a hard rubber bearing roller. The thin construction offsets your B.B. by only about a 1.5 mm. The roller can be used with two or three rings. Has a large outside flange to hold the chain on the outer ring, and the roller has a beveled drum to keep the chain on while back pedalling.

Fills all the requirements without the complexity!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombardier
    I've got the E.13 DRS on my Nomad, it works perfectly and is damn near silent.... although I'd consider using the setup on TNC's Nomad, if anything because it looks cooler...
    When you say silent, do you mean the chain running through the DRS or that there is no almost no noise at all? I would have thought the chain would still be hitting the front derailleur somewhat if you still run it up front. I guess with only two rings you could lower it slightly as well.

I'm interested in the DRS more than anything, just don't want to shell out $350 AUD if it doesn't do what I hope it will. Also, does the DRS mount to your Nomad by removing the BB and placing it behind the external cup?

Cheers,

Dave

Dirt Displacer
    Quote Originally Posted by HeezaGeeza
    When you say silent, do you mean the chain running through the DRS or that there is no almost no noise at all? I would have thought the chain would still be hitting the front derailleur somewhat if you still run it up front. I guess with only two rings you could lower it slightly as well.

I'm interested in the DRS more than anything, just don't want to shell out $350 AUD if it doesn't do what I hope it will. Also, does the DRS mount to your Nomad by removing the BB and placing it behind the external cup?

Cheers,

Dave
    I don't hear any noise from the roller whatsoever, and the chain doesn't rub on the derailleur at all. There is no noticable drag on the chain from the roller in either ring, and it doesn't affect the speed at which the chain engages on the rings when I shift.
    I have an internal GigaPipe TeamDH BB, and had my LBS install both the E.13 and BB for me, but they didn't run into any issues.

It really is a simple system when you see one up close, which makes the price seem pretty steep.... but I figure for something so simple, it'll probably last nearly forever (the bashguard definitely will!), thus justifying the price in my mind.
    Bombardier :::: MCM #249

[SIZE="5"]Trails Listings, GPS Tracks, & Forums[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="5"]Singletracks.com[/SIZE]

Mountainbiker
    Sep 2005
    I'm using the blackspire stinger and bashguard.

The chainguide is leightweight and the bashguard is durable and nice. I set the front derailleur as low as i could and did not drop my chain since then. It's silent (but i can hear it) and not as pricey as e13.
    Last edited by skuehnen; 03-16-2006 at 01:06 PM. Reason: added picture of bike