Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Nomad Carbon PUSH LINK Installed, Ride Report

Well, the push link arrived today (Thanks Nick!). It's obviously all CNC and beautiful and stuff. I like the black ano but think that a nice silver would look good on my white frame as well I had it mounted up in about 10 minutes. All you do is remove 6 bolts, put the shock mount on the shock, replace 6 bolts. It doesn't get ANY easier. I'll give it a go tomorrow morning. I've been waking up at like 4am lately so if that happens I'll probably ride in the morning but if I'm lucky enough to sleep in, I'll give it a go in the afternoon. Here's a few pics for now:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nomad Carbon PUSH LINK Installed, Ride Report-pushlinka.jpg  

Nomad Carbon PUSH LINK Installed, Ride Report-pushlinkc.jpg  

Last edited by gticlay; 08-11-2011 at 06:57 PM.
    "It looks flexy"

biking is fun
    Very nice, looking forward to the ride reports. May trade my blur lt2 for my dads nomad and I would be very tempted to get one of these for it.

mtbr member
    put some Push stickers on the link. that makes it 18% more plush

mtbr member
    Well, my starting setup is:
    BO knob opened
    135psi
    21mm sag (33%) - same spring as stock
    From fully closed:
    Rebound 5
    HSC 6
    LSC 10 (actually I think I bumped it to 9)
    2010 RC4, well broken in, no Kashima coat
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Alright - so I took the 'mad out today. Setup as above. For those of you that know Galbraith, I rode up ridge, down upper and lower bobs, back up to Cedar Dust, up the Death Climb, Upper SST, over to Candy, down Intestine, back over to the new SST entrance, then on that new connector that goes to the illegal trail along Hannah Creek. Pretty much my standard 1.25 hour ride. About 2050 ft of climbing and descent since I live right at the trailhead. Anyway, the Push link makes the bike feel way, way different from stock. First of all, it doesn't have that spikey feel over the various rocks and roots sticking up out of the trail - you know, the stuff that's maybe 2-3" out of the ground that are just annoying with the stock link. They feel more like a dip in the road instead of a speed bump if that makes sense to me. Given that extra plush initial feel, I don't think it affected the VPP'ness of the ride. It's not like the bike bobs now or anything. The second thing I noticed is that I feel like the rear rides a little bit lower in the travel when I'm climbing. It's not drastic, but I almost wanted to lower my bars a little bit or put a shorter stem on.... maybe just fine tune the feel.

Not wanting to wait too long, I hit a very AM trail. It's medium fast, has optional jumps (that I always hit), and is just very fun. There's one section with a nice jump/drop thing that has a steep incline into a table top, then all these harsh braking bumps going into a right turn with a fun little hip jump - both my Nomad and Firebird let me feel all the harsh bumps. With the PUSH link, the bike really smoothed that stuff out. I was pretty impressed at that point.

OK, after that trail, there's a lot of climbing, some flat, then a section called "the death climb" or 4x4. It's got some steep stuff. I'm riding 1x10 on that bike so it can be challenging to clear that section. Most people walk it. No problema essay. It didn't feel any worse (or better) than stock. It still has the VPP magic.

There are some real fun trails to hit after the big climb so I did. I was feeling comfortable after riding the first trail so I hit all the normal jumps and stuff.

My overall impression is that I had really good speed into everything and had to brake hard into the corners. There's this particular 5' drop that I like to hit that you land into an incline so it's a guaranteed bottom out if your bike is set up for this mountain. With the stock linkage, the landing is always harsh, with my Firebird, it's using EVERYTHING the bike has to offer to soak the landing up. It pretty much felt like my Firebird here - like I might have just barely hit the end of the travel.

Overall, I'm super impressed. It has to be one of the products that really makes a huge difference in how the bike rides. I know PUSH will hate me saying this but now I want to try my Vivid Air with the link. I'd give up just a little bit here and there for the weight loss. BTW, the link kit is only about 52g heavier according to my scale.

An easy 9.4 to 9.8 out of 10 on the "worth the money" scale.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Nice write up. So what PUSH claims about increasing plushness but maintaining pedal efficiency is pretty accurate? If so, that's a helluva achievement. Do you have any criticisms/gripes at all?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by expatrider View Post
    Nice write up. So what PUSH claims about increasing plushness but maintaining pedal efficiency is pretty accurate? If so, that's a helluva achievement. Do you have any criticisms/gripes at all?
    Yeah. It's not made for an air shock...
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    I thought the link just made it ride like the older Nomads, if this is so it doesn't seem mind like a mind blowing mod? Sounds to me like it makes it more plush which means it feels better when you're going slow but when you really let it open up is it going to blow through travel and/or wallow? Is that sinking feeling of less suspension VPP induced platform making for worse pedaling performance? The hardest thing for me is finding the balance between control for speed, and plushness for comfort. (not that I have a nomad)

mtbr member
    Every single one of us will have a different need or expectation. It didn't wallow or blow through travel. I believe Santa Cruz lowered the chain extension during travel considerably for the Nomad2, which would make it ride quite a bit different from the OG Nomad. It DID ride lower when sitting and pedaling, and it did ride with a more slack feeling in general. The front didn't come up or anything different from what I'm use to. RIGHT after my ride, I pushed the BO bumper up to the shock body and measured sag exactly how I do every time on all my bikes and it was still at 21mm.
    "It looks flexy"

I dream on two wheels
    OT question. How in the hell do you keep your bike so clean?
    Whiskey

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonns View Post
    OT question. How in the hell do you keep your bike so clean?
    It happened to be clean because we had some rain lately. I just sprayed it off with the hose and so it's clean. Plus I'm A-R.... Notice how dirty the shock is - that's how my Firebird looks, a very dirty bird.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Clay check your pm i have couple questions.

mtbr member
    PM'd you back.

Also, I have no idea where this chart came from but it was on a blog that had to be translated by google:

"It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    will the vivid air fit this link?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
    Anyway, the Push link makes the bike feel way, way different from stock. First of all, it doesn't have that spikey feel over the various rocks and roots sticking up out of the trail - you know, the stuff that's maybe 2-3" out of the ground that are just annoying with the stock link. They feel more like a dip in the road instead of a speed bump if that makes sense to me.
    Is this compared to the stock RP23 or compared to running the RC4 w/stock link? I had imagined that a coil over with the stock link would feel way better than the RP23, but perhaps not given the leverage.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by expatrider View Post
    Is this compared to the stock RP23 or compared to running the RC4 w/stock link? I had imagined that a coil over with the stock link would feel way better than the RP23, but perhaps not given the leverage.
    On the Nomad, I've ridden: Old RP23, New Boost Valve RP23, Marzocchi world cup air, 3 different DHX-air, Pushed Float R, Pushed RP23 with big hit kit, DHX5.0, and RC4 with stock link and RC4 with Push link. To answer your question, I'm comparing this setup to all the different shocks I've tested.

I can honestly say that all the things people complain about the OEM link goes away with the Push link. I took it for another ride today and it's just awesome. Maybe better than the Firebird because it doesn't ride so high in the travel and has that awesome ramp up like the 'bird does but I'll need more riding to decide. The absolute best improvement has to be on two particularly large jump/drop things where both my front and rear bottom out and it completely loses that harsh bottom out feel.
    "It looks flexy"

biking is fun
    I know you briefly touched on jumping but how does it compare now with the new link? I had a 09 nomad and hated it but feel it was mainly due to the dhx air on it. The lack of midstroke support and the ease of bottoming it out made it feel horrible for jumping. I guess I am asking is how playful and poppy did the new link make it? I am assuming a lot more since they made it progressive but would like your feedback on how the bike now performs as a Freeride bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingbubba View Post
    I know you briefly touched on jumping but how does it compare now with the new link? I had a 09 nomad and hated it but feel it was mainly due to the dhx air on it. The lack of midstroke support and the ease of bottoming it out made it feel horrible for jumping. I guess I am asking is how playful and poppy did the new link make it? I am assuming a lot more since they made it progressive but would like your feedback on how the bike now performs as a Freeride bike.

Well, you can't get more plush outta the small stuf without any compromise. I can still make all the doubles I hit and when I case the jumps below, the bike is even BETTER.

Darren: You Gave us a real alternative. THANK YOU. I rode it again and now my legs feel like jello. From all the riding!
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingbubba View Post
    OK, one more post on this since I was thinking about it while riding again yesterday. It still has great composure off jumps it just might sink into the travel a little bit more offa the lip than stock with my Vivid Air. It's not some mushy mess like an FSR bike or anything like that. I also dropped my boost chamber psi down to 130psi and it was a little softer in the first part of the travel and didn't seem to affect how the bike rode deeper in the travel.
    "It looks flexy"

Got A Lust for Life...
    You guys are geeked the hell out. Love it. Now get me one of these for my Tallboy.
    I am immune to your disdain.

biking is fun
    OK, one more post on this since I was thinking about it while riding again yesterday. It still has great composure off jumps it just might sink into the travel a little bit more offa the lip than stock with my Vivid Air. It's not some mushy mess like an FSR bike or anything like that. I also dropped my boost chamber psi down to 130psi and it was a little softer in the first part of the travel and didn't seem to affect how the bike rode deeper in the travel.
    Thanks for the info. I want to give it a try. The downside is I would have to get the link and a coil shock so it would be spendy. Wish I could find a good deal on a rc4 or even better, trade someone my dhx air for it... Slim chance though

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hey Clay,

Recently read through your thread about the new push link and found it super informative. Ordered my own link shortly there after. Thanks! That was the review I was waiting for before making my own purchase. Pics and thoughts to come!

Tire Geek O_o
    Hi guy, sorry for asking but what is the difference between the stock link and the push link?
    I dont get it...
    http://32spokesmtb.com - Promoting MTB & cycling from Mexico to the World!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cesalec View Post
    Hi guy, sorry for asking but what is the difference between the stock link and the push link?
    I dont get it...
    Stock OEM is a compromise for air and coil. Push is very specifically for a coil shock.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    great write up, thanks. i do ride galby once a year so your review helped visualize things. i was on the fence about getting this setup for my nomad2/lyrik DH, but decided to go with the push Monarch RT-AM with the Trail tune since I also have an uzzi vpx / totem with the PUSH MX (i.e. avy internals) fox coil....which has an amazing ride quality on the chunky stuff.

so I wanted to stick with a lightweight air shock, and the RT-AM easily outperforms all the shocks I've tried on the nomad2 (dhx air, dhx-c, roco air, monarch 3.3, ..). No propedal -- instead you get a 10-click lo speed compression damping adjustment. 2 clicks in works great on the descents, 4 clicks in gives an excellent combination of reasonably plush performance on the rock and efficient pedalling.

At high speeds on rock gardens it doesn't quite mimic the performance of a good coil setup, but it comes closer than any air shock setup i've ridden on any frame (mojo HD, etc).
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

Tire Geek O_o
    Stock OEM is a compromise for air and coil. Push is very specifically for a coil shock.
    I see, didnt know that, thanks =)
    http://32spokesmtb.com - Promoting MTB & cycling from Mexico to the World!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    any updates to your shock settings? i'm still trying to get mine set up and still can't quite get it nailed...much better than the stock RP23 though, that's for sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zhendo View Post
    any updates to your shock settings? i'm still trying to get mine set up and still can't quite get it nailed...much better than the stock RP23 though, that's for sure.
    dropped the psi to 130. I think someone put a setup on the other thread about it.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Are you suppose to use the same coil spring rate that you would with the stock link or do you need a stiffer spring because of the increased leverage ratio?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bcall8 View Post
    Are you suppose to use the same coil spring rate that you would with the stock link or do you need a stiffer spring because of the increased leverage ratio?
    According to Darren, same as stock. I think they might have instructions uploaded to their website now??
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Any more updates, thoughts after riding this for a while?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Got one....I love it. Very plush. Still pedals pretty well while in the saddle, not so good standing up. Not as sprinty as the stock link with my rp23. Its fun to mix it up every now and then. Feels like 2 different bikes.

mtbr member
    What Bcall8 said.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Got one....I love it. Very plush. Still pedals pretty well while in the saddle, not so good standing up. Not as sprinty as the stock link with my rp23. Its fun to mix it up every now and then. Feels like 2 different bikes.

got me one as well.. and ditto what bcall says...

addict
    Does the Push link in fact make the Nomad2 ride more like the Mk1? I have never ridden a Mk1, but from what I understand, it seems to be the case. I am stoked on the climbablity of the Nomad2, but I am definitely intrigued in increasing the downhill performance.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I ordered my link from push over the phone and when i spoke to them they told me that they were essentially trying to make the nomad Mk2 ride more like the Mk1. I have never ridden the Mk1 but my friend who has ridden both thought that the push link was a little plusher. This was obviously from memory. I think that the link is awesome, that said i got it to try to have one bike for all situations. The idea was to rock the coil and the link in the summer when we do the most shuttle rides, and to ride the stock link with an rp23 in the winter when we pedal more in the desert. Right now ive got the air shock on the bike. Its really easy to swap them out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    With a stonking hangover and no idea about how to disassemble the upper linkage, it took me most of a morning to fit my PUSH link.

However, taking it down some of the roughest (in fact, by far the roughest) rocky descent that I've ever ridden yesterday, I can confirm that the transformation with a coil shock is pretty amazing. I've got all the Pro Pedal and bottom out dialled out, and the bike still spins fine, but the suspension action so smooth and buttery it almost has an erotic quality.

Or maybe that was just the leaking hydraulic fluid.... Hmmm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by simontyler View Post
    With a stonking hangover and no idea about how to disassemble the upper linkage, it took me most of a morning to fit my PUSH link.

However, taking it down some of the roughest (in fact, by far the roughest) rocky descent that I've ever ridden yesterday, I can confirm that the transformation with a coil shock is pretty amazing. I've got all the Pro Pedal and bottom out dialled out, and the bike still spins fine, but the suspension action so smooth and buttery it almost has an erotic quality.

Or maybe that was just the leaking hydraulic fluid.... Hmmm.
    This might help any other weekend mechanics out there. Should be more like a 10 minute job, at the longest although I can see if you've never taken one apart how it might be confusing. http://www.santacruzmtb.com/tech/nom...on_bearing.pdf
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    That's very helpful - thanks!

Lightly salted
    Reading this thread cost me a couple hundred dollars! I hope to have my link in 3-5 days. From what every ones saying about the push link, Im sure im gonna like it!

mtbr member
    Got my link installed last week, but didn't get to test ride it until today. Hit some stairs and other stuff at the local university. Very nice

As advertised, significant improvement in the small bump sensitivity. Was able to drop the psi in my rc4 boost chamber because of the improved bottom out of the link. Double bonus for the small bump compliance. I was worried the leverage would ramp up to quickly at the end of the stroke and be harsh, but this was not the case. Now the Nomad is riding more like I had originally hoped it would.

Push, job well done!
    Clay, thanks for the review with your shock settings. They gave me a ballpark to start with.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dansMTB View Post
    Got my link installed last week, but didn't get to test ride it until today. Hit some stairs and other stuff at the local university. Very nice

As advertised, significant improvement in the small bump sensitivity. Was able to drop the psi in my rc4 boost chamber because of the improved bottom out of the link. Double bonus for the small bump compliance. I was worried the leverage would ramp up to quickly at the end of the stroke and be harsh, but this was not the case. Now the Nomad is riding more like I had originally hoped it would.

Push, job well done!
    Clay, thanks for the review with your shock settings. They gave me a ballpark to start with.
    I've been thinking about jumping ship on my new Nomad because I can't get it to feel right with the stock link with air shocks. I love the lateral stiffness of the frame and I think that's one redeeming quality keeping me from getting rid of it sooner. I've seen pictures of bikes fitted with a DH oriented build with larger forks along with a frame that still has a stock link so I'm a little perplexed as to how people can live with the stock setup because I sure can't get over the harshness of it on fast and some big hits. I wonder if I'm missing something here. I rode a VPP1 Intense and really liked the way the 1st generation felt but the VPP2 doesn't come close--it feels like a stiff 100mm rear travel to me--the air shocks I had were the Monarch plus, Fox rp23, CCDBA.

I'd like to try a PUSH link though but I'm unsure of the cost.

Is there any one wanting to sell me their PUSH link?
    Remember, you are unique, just like everyone else.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aust95 View Post
    I've been thinking about jumping ship on my new Nomad because I can't get it to feel right with the stock link with air shocks. I love the lateral stiffness of the frame and I think that's one redeeming quality keeping me from getting rid of it sooner. I've seen pictures of bikes fitted with a DH oriented build with larger forks along with a frame that still has a stock link so I'm a little perplexed as to how people can live with the stock setup because I sure can't get over the harshness of it on fast and some big hits. I wonder if I'm missing something here. I rode a VPP1 Intense and really liked the way the 1st generation felt but the VPP2 doesn't come close--it feels like a stiff 100mm rear travel to me--the air shocks I had were the Monarch plus, Fox rp23, CCDBA.

I'd like to try a PUSH link though but I'm unsure of the cost.

Is there any one wanting to sell me their PUSH link?
    I'm pretty sure we have some blem parts that we'll be offering at a discount. I'll have a look tomorrow and report back if you're interested. It's strictly cosmetic in the way we engraved the "P" icon after anodize.

Darren

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PUSHIND View Post
    I'm pretty sure we have some blem parts that we'll be offering at a discount. I'll have a look tomorrow and report back if you're interested. It's strictly cosmetic in the way we engraved the "P" icon after anodize.

Darren
    Darren,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll wait to hear back from you. Feel free to PM me.

mtbr member

another satisfied customer

The PUSH linkage w/ a tuned VAN RC totally transformed my '11 Nomad.

If you weigh ~200lbs or more, definitely consider a coil shock.

The standard configuration of an air shock w/ the carbon link felt like a XC bike to me.
    Very harsh. Always in the bottom of it's travel.

My buddy's Nomad MK1 is still plusher though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by client_9 View Post

The PUSH linkage w/ a tuned VAN RC totally transformed my '11 Nomad.

If you weigh ~200lbs or more, definitely consider a coil shock.

The standard configuration of an air shock w/ the carbon link felt like a XC bike to me.
    Very harsh. Always in the bottom of it's travel.

My buddy's Nomad MK1 is still plusher though.
    Looking forward to a plusher ride. Anyone try a CCDBA with the PUSH link? I'd have to fork out money for a coil if I do the the PUSH link for maximum yield in performance because I know it's designed with coil in mind but how much would the benefit be if a quality air shock was paired with a PUSH link? Still much better than stock?

I weight about 170 lbs all geared up if that makes a difference.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aust95 View Post
    Looking forward to a plusher ride. Anyone try a CCDBA with the PUSH link? I'd have to fork out money for a coil if I do the the PUSH link for maximum yield in performance because I know it's designed with coil in mind but how much would the benefit be if a quality air shock was paired with a PUSH link? Still much better than stock?

I weight about 170 lbs all geared up if that makes a difference.
    I don't think it would work well with the CCDBA at all.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Darren

Darren,
    Have you checked on the parts? Wondering what the cost would be.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    Interested as well on the parts, could convince me to try it as well

mtbr member
    So, it looks like we have about 20 sets of blem link kits. Strictly cosmetic and doesn't effect the function at all. I've tried to show a pic in how the "P" Icon is a little chattery looking.

Anyway, blem links are 15% off while they last. So you're looking at $181.90 + Shipping. If you're interested you can either place the order online and add in the "Notes" filed at checkout that you would like a "Blem", or you can email sales@pushindustries.com to get things going.

Thanks,

Darren
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nomad Carbon PUSH LINK Installed, Ride Report-link-blem.jpg  

b a n n e d
    Dang, if that's a "blem," y'all must have HIGH standards! (which is a good thing! )

Got any Blemished tunes for my RP23
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

addict
    Ordered! Now for all this snow to melt (at least in the lowlands)
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Wonder how the Push Link would work with Vivid Air? I mean if the Vivid Air works in V10c, then why not in NomadC with Push Link?

mtbr member
    I wish they made this link to work with a CCDB air or XF Vector air
    2014 Santa Cruz Solo c.

Moving on to better things

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm curious what the weight gain is for a pushed link w/ ti coil rc4 vs. stock carbon link rp23?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mehukatti View Post
    Wonder how the Push Link would work with Vivid Air? I mean if the Vivid Air works in V10c, then why not in NomadC with Push Link?
    I tried it an at least in stock form, it's a no go.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash-VR View Post
    I'm curious what the weight gain is for a pushed link w/ ti coil rc4 vs. stock carbon link rp23?
    Not sure of the net gain but the RC4 w/ a 3x450# Ti spring is approx 2 lbs (907g)

Whatever the weight gain it's worth it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    thinking about ordering a new shock and the push link for my nomad. anyone know what size shock to order? has anyone tried with with the ccdb?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonoma_MTB View Post
    thinking about ordering a new shock and the push link for my nomad. anyone know what size shock to order? has anyone tried with with the ccdb?
    You need an 8.5" x 2.5", same as stock. As for the CCDB, it doesn't look like it's going to happen unfortunately due to concerns from CC.

Darren

Calm Like a Bomb
    Any thoughts on the new 2014 RC4 with the PUSH link? Looks promising. Been using a 2012 RC4 Kash/PUSH link for a few seasons now but thinking the 2014 might be a good fit as well.
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

https://www.instagram.com/jayparrington/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pipes10 View Post
    Any thoughts on the new 2014 RC4 with the PUSH link? Looks promising. Been using a 2012 RC4 Kash/PUSH link for a few seasons now but thinking the 2014 might be a good fit as well.
    I have a new RC4 on my Firebird and I don't think it's any different, except for the "tune" stickers. Is there something different/new on the '14?
    "It looks flexy"

Calm Like a Bomb
    I have a new RC4 on my Firebird and I don't think it's any different, except for the "tune" stickers. Is there something different/new on the '14?
    Fox Shox Introduces New Air DH Fork, The 40 Float RC2 & Revamped DHX RC4 Shock for 2014 - Bike Rumor
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

mtbr member
    Ah, new system. I am usually pretty sensitive to the way my shock feels out back and didn't notice that the bigger shaft felt more stiction-y but I do ride air shocks too so maybe I'm just "used" to the feel.

Darren would know the best, but since he has described the Push link as the most mechanically progressive suspension on the market (is that how it put it?), then the new shock should be very, very good for the push link. Enough to where I might buy another one and be done with air altogether! I wonder if he has any more of those blem links... (walks off mumbling about upgrades)
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    You need an 8.5" x 2.5", same as stock. As for the CCDB, it doesn't look like it's going to happen unfortunately due to concerns from CC.

Darren
    wait didn't it get the blessing with some mods to the shock (have to be done at ccdb service center). Last I heard (from CC) I could switch my shaft and seal head to the stump jumper endure evo shaft and a demo 8 eyelet and then it is direct mount to your link and still has the ability to go back to stock link if for whatever reason I want to. Has this changed again?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Hill View Post
    wait didn't it get the blessing with some mods to the shock (have to be done at ccdb service center). Last I heard (from CC) I could switch my shaft and seal head to the stump jumper endure evo shaft and a demo 8 eyelet and then it is direct mount to your link and still has the ability to go back to stock link if for whatever reason I want to. Has this changed again?
    Not yet. We're currently working with CaneCreek on this application.

Darren

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pipes10 View Post
    If you have one of our Factory Tuned RC4 kits then the BoostValve has already been removed. That leaves the difference of the smaller shaft in the 2014 shock which is better, but probably not worth upgrading to.

Darren

Calm Like a Bomb
    If you have one of our Factory Tuned RC4 kits then the BoostValve has already been removed. That leaves the difference of the smaller shaft in the 2014 shock which is better, but probably not worth upgrading to.

Darren
    Thanks for the info, Darren. Just using a stock 2012 Factory RC4 with the PUSH link. I'm considering either option (2014 RC4 or Factory PUSH my current one) and with you being so in tune with the Nomadc, I might just send it to you next winter.
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    just got push link and ordered 2014 rc4 from fox which will be another few weeks, the link came with the link, the adapter, and a small bushing or sleeve. Where does that bushing or sleeve go? Can anybody give me step by step instructions on how to install push link and rc4 coil, as I don't wanna mess anything up, first time removing shock. Its a 2011 alu nomad. Much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dv4928 View Post
    .................... Where does that bushing or sleeve go? .......

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Cool, thanks for those pics. Its the sleeve with the red color on the inside in that pic on bottom. But there is 2 of them, one is pre-installed in the adapter and one is just loose. Maybe a spare? Will the 2014 rc4 mount right up with no mods?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Any long term feedback on push link and rc4? I guess im in the same boat as many others when it comes to mk2 nomad. with the rp23 it feels like an XC bike on DH and over very rough rock sections, no better than my blur LT2. I got the nomad thinking it would be a step up in the DH and rough than my blur.(climbs great though with rp23) Is the push link and rc4 really the answer?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dv4928 View Post
    Any long term feedback on push link and rc4? I guess im in the same boat as many others when it comes to mk2 nomad. with the rp23 it feels like an XC bike on DH and over very rough rock sections, no better than my blur LT2. I got the nomad thinking it would be a step up in the DH and rough than my blur.(climbs great though with rp23) Is the push link and rc4 really the answer?
    I have no feedback on the push link, but there must be something wrong with your rp23 or your set up because my NomadC with rp23 has always felt miles better (plushier and totally in control) going dowhill than my BlurLTc

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Got push link and 2014 rc4 installed (easier to install than I thought) and like others have said it is so much better than the stock link and rp23 I had for the rough downhill trails, I can ride much faster and don't get as (beat up) as I did before. Climbing is actually better through rocky tech sections also. There is slightly more bob than before but not by much. And that's with LSC off. Jumps feel nice and smooth. I am very happy with the link and rc4.

mtbr member
    dv.....did you go with one of the new color options or just stay with the original black link?

Darren

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I went with the black one since my bike is all black

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Darren, do I need to run any bottom out air assist? I figured no since the link has a high ramp up. I'm 190 lbs and got 150 psi in chamber and LSC on about 1 click and HSC on only about 1 click, I get close to bottoming out ( about half inch away)on 3 foot to flat jumps. Still dialing in but so far I love the link and rc4

mtbr member
    I need a pink one...
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    dv, no you should run your Boost at full open on the volume adjust.

mtbr member
    I need a pink one...
    Uh...purple!

mtbr member

Update

Looks like there's been some updates on the CCDB front....Nomad Carbon PUSH LINK Installed, Ride Report-ccdb-nomad.jpg

Darren

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Looks like there's been some updates on the CCDB front....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CCDB-Nomad.jpg 
Views:	511 
Size:	168.0 KB 
ID:	836056

Darren
    Now we're talking!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I just sold my Nomad and have a black push link that I'm looking to get rid of....anyone interested?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Push link sold....FYI they work

Slower But Faster
    First couple of rides under my belt with the Push link on the Nomad now.

I left all the settings on the RC4 as I had them for the standard link (which are as recommended for my weight on the Santa Cruz web site).

I was not in anyway unhappy with the performance of the bike with the stock linkage but got a good price on a second hand linkage from bcall8 so thought I didn't have much to lose.

Rode my regular summer local loop of assorted steep ups and downs so I'd have a good basis for comparison. The bike is definitely more active in the first part of its travel as promised. I was worried that climbing performance would suffer especially in granny ring (still running 2x10) but if anything it has improved especially on rooty/techy climbs due to the extra plushness. Pedalling is still as good as it ever was with no noticeable pedal bob or feedback. Going downhill the bike is definitely faster and more controlled especially on rocky/rooty terrain and on slow, pick and go type sections doesn't have that slight hangup it used to have on roots and rocks.

Overall no downsides and pleasantly surprised with the upsides; Push Industries clearly know their stuff.

mtbr member

Endless travel

Nomad Carbon PUSH LINK Installed, Ride Report-img_20140223_143845.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmoto View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140223_143845.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	137.5 KB 
ID:	872096
    HAH, that long of stroke make it 180mm?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by onespeedpaul View Post
    HAH, that long of stroke make it 180mm?
    Yes 9.5X3 inch shock + push link = A lot of real wheel travel and very close to stock frame geometry. Kind of hard to measure the actual wheel travel because the axle moves in kind of an "S"pattern. I am thinking 7.8 inch in the rear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Huh.. very interesting.

Do you happen to know what the effective eye-to-eye length becomes on an 8.5 shock with the adapter installed? Be real interesting if it makes it effectively a 9.5x2.5 shock...Then I wonder if a BLT2 upper link would work with a 9.5x3 shock and achieve the same thing as well (which is going to depend if the frame-to-swingarm eyes are the same distance, since the shock mount looks very similarly-placed)

I'm riding a plain Van R on the stock link with the enduro bearing on the linkage end, and I'm plenty happy with it, but ignorance was bliss!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    if the adapter does add one inch, the collapsed size is 7", and running a 9.5x3 with no adapter is 6.5 compressed fully....WIN! (Haha as long as no hard parts contact on full bottom out) However, if the adapter adds only say a half inch (making it 9x2.5) the extra travel is on the extended length and raises the BB etc...not so desireable unless you just want a higher BB

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    after checking my own bike and **eyeballing all the pics of the link and adapter I can find, I would almost bet the adapter adds an inch....might be time to buy the link and a cheap 9.5x3 shock and play around some!

mtbr member
    Nomad Carbon PUSH LINK Installed, Ride Report-dsc01807.jpgNomad Carbon PUSH LINK Installed, Ride Report-dsc01806.jpg
    after checking my own bike and **eyeballing all the pics of the link and adapter I can find, I would almost bet the adapter adds an inch....might be time to buy the link and a cheap 9.5x3 shock and play around some!
    The 9.5 x3 shock is a little longer eye to eye 16th inch? Keep this in mind as well. The rear axle path is is not vertical. The axle starts moving back as well as up in the beginning of travel. So by adding a slightly longer shock you are not changing head angle and bottom bracket as much as you would on a bike with a more vertical rear axle path. One could use an offset upper bush to make the eye to eye the same?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmoto View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01807.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	138.5 KB 
ID:	883370Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01806.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	197.0 KB 
ID:	883384
    The 9.5 x3 shock is a little longer eye to eye 16th inch? Keep this in mind as well. The rear axle path is is not vertical. The axle starts moving back as well as up in the beginning of travel. So by adding a slightly longer shock you are not changing head angle and bottom bracket as much as you would on a bike with a more vertical rear axle path. One could use an offset upper bush to make the eye to eye the same?
    thanks for that! yeah you right, I think an offset shock bushing would make it identical...either way tho, very small difference. and very similar of the 9.5x3 to the 8.5x2.5 with adapter...

How you liking it so far?

mtbr member
    It is like a magic carpet now. It does every thing better. I have noticed a few more peddle strikes. The biggest difference is how much faster it goes down the hill with the added travel.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Looks like there's been some updates on the CCDB front....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CCDB-Nomad.jpg 
Views:	511 
Size:	168.0 KB 
ID:	836056

Darren
    Any word on what was done to get the ccdb to fit? Custom bushing?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Just wondering if you tried this yet? I have a 9.5x3 CCDB and the Push link that I am itching to try.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by levildevil View Post
    Just wondering if you tried this yet? I have a 9.5x3 CCDB and the Push link that I am itching to try.
    Mount that stuff up and give us a ride report!!!

Transition Blindside v5

Good job! '11 Nomad Carbon + PUSH upper link (& Ti spring)

Here's my new-to-me (used) '11 Nomad Carbon with RC4 (140psi/boost & bottom-out fully open) & Ti spring (350lbs) & PUSH upper link. (My riding weight (me+gear) is about <165lbs.) It's 35lbs 15oz, as pictured.

No brainer that it climbs like a goat (even for me, hahah). On the descent, it's fast and corners really well. Coming from my super-tight-cockpit 40lbs Transition BottleRocket & Blindside, I was worried about the roomier cockpit on jumps, but I was very happy to find today that it's also so flickable in the air (though not sure if it's the 4lbs-less weight or the cockpit/geo or what?).

It's everything I wanted in one bike.

Stoked!
    - PiroChu
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nomad Carbon PUSH LINK Installed, Ride Report-20140517_161822.jpg  

Nomad Carbon PUSH LINK Installed, Ride Report-20140517_161957.jpg  

Slower But Faster
    I really like the white colour scheme on that model Nomad. I'm surprised that it's so heavy though, the Totem's must be heavier than I remember.

Here's mine (Van RC2, DHX RC4, X0 RD and shifters, XTR FD and brakes, DT240 laced to i23s) at 31.75lb (14.4kg) including pedals.
    Nomad Carbon PUSH LINK Installed, Ride Report-img_20140518_161406.jpg

Transition Blindside v5
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentD
    I'm surprised that it's so heavy though, the Totem's must be heavier than I remember.
    Thanks for your spec/weight. Also got me curious, so I searched online, and Totem ("2880g") is supposedly only about 170g heavier than 36 VAN 180 ("2.71kg"), at least on-paper.

So I have no idea where all the other extra weight is significantly coming from, LOL!

mtbr member
    Glad all of you are enjoying my thread. Anyone interested in a stock NomadC black frame with extra bearings and axles? PM me.
    "It looks flexy"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast