Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Nomad Carbon PUSH LINK Installed, Ride Report

33K views 101 replies 38 participants last post by  gticlay 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, the push link arrived today (Thanks Nick!). It's obviously all CNC and beautiful and stuff. I like the black ano but think that a nice silver would look good on my white frame as well :D I had it mounted up in about 10 minutes. All you do is remove 6 bolts, put the shock mount on the shock, replace 6 bolts. It doesn't get ANY easier. I'll give it a go tomorrow morning. I've been waking up at like 4am lately so if that happens I'll probably ride in the morning but if I'm lucky enough to sleep in, I'll give it a go in the afternoon. Here's a few pics for now:

Attachments

See less See more
#88 ·
Huh.. very interesting.

Do you happen to know what the effective eye-to-eye length becomes on an 8.5 shock with the adapter installed? Be real interesting if it makes it effectively a 9.5x2.5 shock...Then I wonder if a BLT2 upper link would work with a 9.5x3 shock and achieve the same thing as well (which is going to depend if the frame-to-swingarm eyes are the same distance, since the shock mount looks very similarly-placed)

I'm riding a plain Van R on the stock link with the enduro bearing on the linkage end, and I'm plenty happy with it, but ignorance was bliss!

#89 ·
if the adapter does add one inch, the collapsed size is 7", and running a 9.5x3 with no adapter is 6.5 compressed fully....WIN! (Haha as long as no hard parts contact on full bottom out) However, if the adapter adds only say a half inch (making it 9x2.5) the extra travel is on the extended length and raises the BB etc...not so desireable unless you just want a higher BB

#91 ·
Yellow Cylinder Gas Measuring instrument Circle
Technology Machine Cylinder Camera accessory

The 9.5 x3 shock is a little longer eye to eye 16th inch? Keep this in mind as well. The rear axle path is is not vertical. The axle starts moving back as well as up in the beginning of travel. So by adding a slightly longer shock you are not changing head angle and bottom bracket as much as you would on a bike with a more vertical rear axle path. One could use an offset upper bush to make the eye to eye the same?

#97 ·
'11 Nomad Carbon + PUSH upper link (& Ti spring)

Here's my new-to-me (used) '11 Nomad Carbon with RC4 (140psi/boost & bottom-out fully open) & Ti spring (350lbs) & PUSH upper link. (My riding weight (me+gear) is about <165lbs.) It's 35lbs 15oz, as pictured.

No brainer that it climbs like a goat (even for me, hahah). On the descent, it's fast and corners really well. Coming from my super-tight-cockpit 40lbs Transition BottleRocket & Blindside, I was worried about the roomier cockpit on jumps, but I was very happy to find today that it's also so flickable in the air (though not sure if it's the 4lbs-less weight or the cockpit/geo or what?).

It's everything I wanted in one bike.

Stoked! :thumbsup:
- PiroChu

Attachments

#98 ·
I really like the white colour scheme on that model Nomad. I'm surprised that it's so heavy though, the Totem's must be heavier than I remember.

Here's mine (Van RC2, DHX RC4, X0 RD and shifters, XTR FD and brakes, DT240 laced to i23s) at 31.75lb (14.4kg) including pedals.
Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Spoke

#99 ·
BrentD said:
I'm surprised that it's so heavy though, the Totem's must be heavier than I remember.
Thanks for your spec/weight. Also got me curious, so I searched online, and Totem ("2880g") is supposedly only about 170g heavier than 36 VAN 180 ("2.71kg"), at least on-paper.

So I have no idea where all the other extra weight is significantly coming from, LOL!

#101 ·
I wanna know if the push link will work with an air shock, I have the new ccdb air cs with the xvol can and it's super linear with no air spacers, plus how I have it set up.. Just thinking about taking the leverage hump out of the middle of the stroke and increase the natural ramp up at the end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.