• 12-01-2012
    jb_
    Nomad C seatpost won't go all the way down
    I've got a 2013 Nomad C and I had to trim my seatpost down to about 365mm to get enough adjustment out of it. Climbing it's at max height and when I put it down to descend there's still about 25mm of post sticking out. I'm not a fan of running a post at max height, especially with such an expensive frame, and that extra 25mm of drop I'm missing out on would be handy with some of the terrain I ride.

When I look down the seattube with a torch it looks like the ID of the tube tapers in where the tube gets stuck then goes back to normal below that, like the molding hasn't gone quite right in there.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is there any easy fix, like running a reaming tool down there (with carbon? :skep: ) or does my frame need replaced?
  • 12-02-2012
    robsetsfire
    How far is the seatpost inserted into the frame when it is at max height?

I get about 160mm of adjustment on my large Nomad C. The point that my post bottoms out in the frame is 260mm below the seat clamp.

Reaming the seattube sounds like a bad idea to me.
  • 12-02-2012
    jb_
    Quote:

Originally Posted by robsetsfire View Post
    How far is the seatpost inserted into the frame when it is at max height?

I get about 160mm of adjustment on my large Nomad C. The point that my post bottoms out in the frame is 260mm below the seat clamp.

Reaming the seattube sounds like a bad idea to me.

I guess it must be normal for SC not to tidy up the whole inside of the tube. I've got a similar amount of adjustment to you. At climbing height I've got about 110mm of post inside the frame.

It's strange that SC don't let us use all the seat tube when one of the selling points of that frame is that it has a full length seat tube. Oh well, it's a hell of a lot better than the 75mm of adjustment I had with my Reign X :thumbsup:
  • 12-02-2012
    eastshorebiker
    My NomadC is like that because where the front derailleur cable stop is attached to the frame inside it has a small protrution with interferes with the seatpost going all the way down.
    I'm waiting for a reliable adjustable post to come out so moving the post down in the seattube won't be an issue.
  • 12-02-2012
    jb_
    Ahh yes of course, that is probably the cause. I didn't think of the cable stop.
  • 12-03-2012
    IntenseMack10
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eastshorebiker View Post
    My NomadC is like that because where the front derailleur cable stop is attached to the frame inside it has a small protrution with interferes with the seatpost going all the way down.
    I'm waiting for a reliable adjustable post to come out so moving the post down in the seattube won't be an issue.

This is the cause of the issue.

I had a problem with this earlier this year on a 2012. I was flabbergasted that there is no mention of this anywhere in any of SC's literature or anywhere on their site. They go into great detail about all sorts of other things, but not this.

I had posted about it on here and got no responses at all if I remember right.
  • 12-03-2012
    jb_
    I spoke to my retailer who contacted the New Zealand distributor for SC. They said someone forced the seat post down past the bit where it gets stuck and their front derailleur cable stop came off, so it definitely is that.

It's pretty poor that you can't use a really long seatpost on this frame even though the design would allow for it, if it weren't for the way the cable stop is attached. SC should find another way to attach the stop.
  • 12-03-2012
    The Beater
    however that being said the only bike that should have it's seat slammed to the seat post collar is a dirt jump bike
  • 12-03-2012
    jb_
    Quote:

Originally Posted by The Beater View Post
    however that being said the only bike that should have it's seat slammed to the seat post collar is a dirt jump bike

Or a Nomad C that I'm hitting DJs on :D
  • 12-05-2012
    Resident Alien
    I noticed the same last year on a 2012 frame and I was also pretty disappointed. Then one day during a rainy ride I came down on my saddle a bit harder than normal and the obstruction partially gave way. I say partially because it would require a bit of force to get past what felt like a flange and essentially fold it down. Sadly, this bike was stolen and I haven't managed to 'fix' the current one. Note that I had no problems with my front mech cable stop after this happened.
  • 12-05-2012
    jb_
    I emailed Santa Cruz themselves before I posted this, they took some time to get back to me but I got a response yesterday, they said:

Quote:

Hey Jordan-

Thanks for supporting Santa Cruz Bicycles!

If I were you Iíd try to get that reverb working on that bike. I know itís not ideal due to the cable routing, but we do ship the XTR
    bikes with them and everyone here uses them on a variety of bikes we make. They just make sense. The seat tube on that bike
    does have the slightest bend to it and thatís why you can only slide a post down so far.

Iím sorry I donít have a better answer for you. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks again-

Dano
  • 12-05-2012
    Resident Alien
    They would know, but it must be a very, very slight bend. In my experience, once the flange gave way, the post could and would move past it.
  • 12-06-2012
    eastshorebiker
    Yes I think they are right because I removed the cable stop protrution inside the seattube and the post still won't go down all the way.
  • 12-07-2012
    waldo1
    I had this issue on my mojo HD. Just built up a brand new nomad carbon and same issue. I'm using sdg I beams and it seems like they are slightly wider near the top for strength I guess. Both posts are cut down quite short so shouldn't be fouling inside the frame. What post are you using?
  • 12-08-2012
    eastshorebiker
    Thomson post which works fine on my Heckler. Heckler has the same size seattube.:D