Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Go Big or Die Tryin'

Nomad C Lateral Flex

OK, so I'm seriously about to pull the trigger on a Carbon Nomad but can't get over the lateral flex that I feel in the rear triangle. The rear wheel moves a lot when you hold the seat post and wiggle it back and forth. I'm considering replacing my Reign with this bike thinking it will be burlier/more capable and just as light but the Reign actually feels a bit stiffer. Any Nomad owners here notice this??? Do you feel it on the trail? I'm afraid it will want to noodle around and wander on serious double diamond descents.
    Slugs love beer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Nope... never had this issue and I have the old 135x9 mm rear and in the aluminum version... I am sure the Carbon Nomad with 142x12 thru axles are way better than mine... Nomad is solid...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Finius T Flubberbuster View Post
    OK, so I'm seriously about to pull the trigger on a Carbon Nomad but can't get over the lateral flex that I feel in the rear triangle. The rear wheel moves a lot when you hold the seat post and wiggle it back and forth. I'm considering replacing my Reign with this bike thinking it will be burlier/more capable and just as light but the Reign actually feels a bit stiffer. Any Nomad owners here notice this??? Do you feel it on the trail? I'm afraid it will want to noodle around and wander on serious double diamond descents.
    Seriously??

And how come you say you "feel" lateral flex if you just "wiggle it back and forth" ??
    If all that is true, there must be something seriously wrong with the wheel/axle/rear triangle of the Nomad you are using for that. WTF!

mtbr member
    Are you sure you're not seeing wheel/tire flex? It's very unlikely you can flex the frame with a wheel in just with your arms, unless you're Chuck Norris.
    Santa Cruz Blur TRc

Go Big or Die Tryin'
    That's why I'm wondering if there's something wrong with this guy's frame/bearings?
    It doesn't feel like there is, no creaks or anything like that. It is a 2011 with 135 rear.
    What I notice is when you hold the seat tube and push/pull on the rear wheel I can see a decent amount of movement (looking at the gap between seat tube and seat stay)...the seat stay will get closer to the seat tube. Try it yourselves and let me know what you see. It really wasn't that hard to do. Well, I'm going to demo it today so I'll see how it really feels on the trail.
    Looking to consolidate bikes (Scythe/Reign) into one w/sick build. Don't do enough DH anymore to really warrant holding on to the Scythe.
    Slugs love beer.

mtbr member
    I don't ANY lateral flex, it's SO RIGID!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    That's why I'm wondering if there's something wrong with this guy's frame/bearings?
    It doesn't feel like there is, no creaks or anything like that. It is a 2011 with 135 rear.
    What I notice is when you hold the seat tube and push/pull on the rear wheel I can see a decent amount of movement (looking at the gap between seat tube and seat stay)...the seat stay will get closer to the seat tube. Try it yourselves and let me know what you see. It really wasn't that hard to do. Well, I'm going to demo it today so I'll see how it really feels on the trail.
    Looking to consolidate bikes (Scythe/Reign) into one w/sick build. Don't do enough DH anymore to really warrant holding on to the Scythe.

From what you describe there sounds like maybe it's a bearings issue.
    Whatever it is, that's surely not the normal behavior of a Nomad (or any other decent bike)

mtbr member
    It's not the frame. Unless it was assembled improperly there is no way you can flex it with your hands.

I have an aluminum MK2 with Mavic 318s and fun bolts, and I can only detect flex in really aggressive g-out turns. Even then I doubt it's much to do with the frame. Far more likely it's the wheels/tires.
    I'll be along... eventually.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    What rear wheel is on the Nomad? How does it compare to the wheel on the Reign?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Are you saying you are thinking about buying that particular bike? If so, have it checked by a shop or someone you trust who knows what they're doing. My guess is that you are feeling wheel flex, maybe even excessive wheel flex from loose spokes. But it could be a frame issue like a bad bearing, a broken pivot axle, or even a broken triangle.

But if you are asking about carbon nomads in general, frame stiffness is one of the reasons to get a carbon nomad, not one to avoid them. They are super solid, particularly the newer versions with the 142 axle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OGRipper View Post
    But if you are asking about carbon nomads in general, frame stiffness is one of the reasons to get a carbon nomad, not one to avoid them. They are super solid, particularly the newer versions with the 142 axle.
    One of the benefits of VPP and other similar mini-ink suspension designs is the stiff rear end. Aluminum Nomads are stiff.

Something is wrong with the bike you are looking at.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Nomad C Lateral Flex

From what you describe, I'd bet that the axels in the lower link are not tightened properly. If you don't lock tite them they will lose up pretty easily and you will experience some sloppiness.

Slower But Faster
    My 2011 Nomad C with QR rear flexes slightly more than my 2010 Reign X with a 12mm bolt through. I upgraded the Nomad C to a 10mm bolt through and any noticeable flex disappeared.

Go Big or Die Tryin'
    The rear wheel is stock DT Swiss EX500...and was missing 2 spokes. The bearings are tight and smooth, I went over them myself before the ride (love how that system works). I do have to agree wtih BrentD that the Reign X is a little stiffer, most likely due to the fact that the seat stay on the Nomad has to reach all the way to the shock link that pivots about the top tube. If SC were able to make it pivot about the seat tube the lever arm would be shorter and make the bike that much stiffer. However, after the test ride last night I am SOLD!!! The bike was sick and rails. I had a little too much air pressure in fork/shock with lost some of the plushness that I'm sure a properly set up Nomad would have. Just bought a 2011 in great shape w/DHX 5.0 Air last night. Thanks for all the input.
    Slugs love beer.

Zombie Uprising
    Same here, alu Nomad Mk2 with 135x10mm HOPE bolt-up axle on HOPE PRO2 EVOs and Stan Flow rims. Santa Cruz Pro-pack on links.
    No rear frame flex whatsoever, 4.5 years on, still going strong!

Zombie Uprising
    The rear wheel is stock DT Swiss EX500...and was missing 2 spokes. The bearings are tight and smooth, I went over them myself before the ride (love how that system works). I do have to agree wtih BrentD that the Reign X is a little stiffer, most likely due to the fact that the seat stay on the Nomad has to reach all the way to the shock link that pivots about the top tube. If SC were able to make it pivot about the seat tube the lever arm would be shorter and make the bike that much stiffer. However, after the test ride last night I am SOLD!!! The bike was sick and rails. I had a little too much air pressure in fork/shock with lost some of the plushness that I'm sure a properly set up Nomad would have. Just bought a 2011 in great shape w/DHX 5.0 Air last night. Thanks for all the input.

Excellent choice, but ditch the DHX 5.0 Air!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tp806 View Post
    Same here, alu Nomad Mk2 with 135x10mm HOPE bolt-up axle on HOPE PRO2 EVOs and Stan Flow rims. Santa Cruz Pro-pack on links.
    No rear frame flex whatsoever, 4.5 years on, still going strong!
    could this work also on previous 135x10 mm nomads? want to keep it 'shimano-ish' if possible... thinking of replacing my XT with Zee 135x12 then add a bolt on adapter, Azonic momentum axle... would this work???

Name:  295_azomt8_0.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  5.0 KB
    Name:  220_shi3z2_rer_0.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  10.5 KB

Zombie Uprising
    I can't say this for sure, since your are mixing parts of different manufacturers with different tolerances. But on principle I don't see why not.
    Just make sure you got the correct spacers/washers for this hub to go from 12mm to 10mm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tp806 View Post
    I can't say this for sure, since your are mixing parts of different manufacturers with different tolerances. But on principle I don't see why not.
    Just make sure you got the correct spacers/washers for this hub to go from 10mm to 12mm.
    'Made of Chromoly steel and uses BMX axle nuts. Converts 12mm through axle to standard 3/8" (10mm) axle. Fits Outlaw wheel set and any application that requires 12mm x 135mm through axle.'

Item description in pricepoint... further reading says it is a 'step-down' axle, from 12 mm to 10 mm that will fit i hope (keeping my fingers crossed). If they will, I might get 2 pairs and set up the Superlight I have converted to 650B.

Go Big or Die Tryin'
    Ya I'm thinking the same witb the dhx. What shock do u recommend?
    Slugs love beer.

mtbr member
    Ya I'm thinking the same witb the dhx. What shock do u recommend?
    Send the DHX Air to Avalanche to be rebuilt and you will love it in your Nomad.

Avalanche Downhill Racing
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Zombie Uprising
    There are many better options, depending of what is your style of riding/type of trails/your weight.
    If you prefer coil for super plushness and sensitivity or air for lower weight and easier adjustments and of course your budget.
    Some options are:
    Coil:
    Cane Creek DB CS
    Elka (now MRP) stage 5
    Avalanche Woodie
    Fox DHX RC4
    BOS Stoy
    Rock shox Vivid R2C
    Manitou Revox
    Marzocchi Rocco TST

Air:
    Cane Creek DB Air XV CS
    BOS Void
    Rock shox Vivid Air R2C
    BOS Kirk
    Manitou Swinger PRO dc
    Rock shox Monarch Plus
    Fox Float X
    Marzocchi Roco Air TST

For good overall AM capabilities and value for money I would suggest RockShox Monarch Plus RC3. For top performance Cane Creek double barrel air or coil.
    Other people can chime in for what works for them.
    Personally I have a dual rear shock setup, one for more trail oriented longer rides; I have a Manitou Evolver ISX-6. But for more aggressive Enduro or park rides I put on a Fox DHX 4.0 Coil always coupled with a 2012 Fox 36 Van 160 RC2.

PS. Apologies for the off-topic.

Go Big or Die Tryin'
    I'm thinking about keeping air in the back and maybe a coil in the fork (Lyrik RC2DH solo Air right now but maybe convert to coil).
    tp806, I bet it feels like an entirely different bike with both coils on it. What wheels are you running? I'm wondering how the stock EX500 will handle DH if I throw some DH tires on them?
    Slugs love beer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by saddle pimp View Post
    could this work also on previous 135x10 mm nomads? want to keep it 'shimano-ish' if possible... thinking of replacing my XT with Zee 135x12 then add a bolt on adapter, Azonic momentum axle... would this work???

Name:  295_azomt8_0.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  5.0 KB
    Name:  220_shi3z2_rer_0.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  10.5 KB
    Yes, that will work. I used a Sun Ringle step down axle (12mm to 10mm) in my old 135 x 10 Nomad with a 135 x 12 thru axle hub. Huge improvement over the QR. I have a brand new one if interested.

Slower But Faster
    I'm thinking about keeping air in the back and maybe a coil in the fork (Lyrik RC2DH solo Air right now but maybe convert to coil).
    tp806, I bet it feels like an entirely different bike with both coils on it. What wheels are you running? I'm wondering how the stock EX500 will handle DH if I throw some DH tires on them?
    The EX500 is strong enough if you're not too harsh on the bike or too big a guy but at 21mm internal width a little narrow by today's standard to run a big tyre with reasonable stability.

My first trip to Whistler two years ago with the Reign X on EX500s ran fine with Minion DHF 2.5 (which are narrow for a 2.5) but started to break spokes towards the end of the two weeks. My most recent trip to Whistler last month with the Nomad C on FR600s and the same tyres suffered no broken spokes.

PS. Couldn't be happier with the Nomad C in the park, it's so balanced in the air it was an absolute joy to ride on the classic Freight Train to Dirt Merchant to A Line run.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast