mtbr member

Nomad C gen 2 cracked rear triangle

I cracked my 2012 Nomad C chain stay today. You can't see in the photo but its cracked on 3 of 4 sides. Rock strike to the lower section. Was a lay down in a rock garden climbing not descending.

Nomad C gen 2 cracked rear triangle-crack-close-up.jpg
    Nomad C gen 2 cracked rear triangle-img_1299.jpg

Two or three questions:
    1. Have any of your worked with SC lately on replacing a Gen 2 Nomad C rear triangle? Do they have any stock left? Were they able to get you a replacement either carbon or aluminum?
    2. Anyone have a gen 2 rear aluminum or carbon hanging around?
    3. Anyone attempted repair through Calfee or similar?

Thanks Mark
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

b a n n e d
    I'm pretty sure that SC will offer a crash replacement of some sort. They likely have some new old stock still around; it hasn't been discontinued THAT long.

If not, I've heard very good things about carbon repair (including the painting) and something like this should be very simple for them (i.e., its a simple break in the middle of a section, not at a junction).

Good luck . . .
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    I'm pretty sure SC don't have any rear triangles. Good news is you can probably get a N3 for crash replacement cost. That does mean getting a new set of wheels (That BB would be crazy low with 26" wheels), but the N3 is definitely a significant upgrade.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by expatrider View Post
    I'm pretty sure SC don't have any rear triangles. Good news is you can probably get a N3 for crash replacement cost. That does mean getting a new set of wheels (That BB would be crazy low with 26" wheels), but the N3 is definitely a significant upgrade.
    Thanks Guys, Mojo Wheels the local shop said he wasn't sure if SC had any old stock left. He was having trouble getting Bronson rears in certain colors. He did say they might offer a N3 at crash replacement. It would mean new dropper, wheels and fork plus selected drive train parts to go 1x10/11.

I have two quotes on carbon repair for $300 so that's a reasonable option. There's a chance that this bike could be covered under our home owners insurance. It was on the Thule Hitch rack in a roll over accident. A local shop cleared it for riding, but only 5 rides later it cracked. I am in discussion with them right now about adding it to the list of damaged personal items. SC is a good company and I will keep you posted.

Nomad C gen 2 cracked rear triangle-img_1201.jpg

mtbr member
    Holy crap! Homeowners insurance... What about auto insurance? Was your bike racked up on a towed RV/camper trailer that flipped?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    Holy crap! Homeowners insurance... What about auto insurance? Was your bike racked up on a towed RV/camper trailer that flipped?
    So its a long story, but yes the rack was on a towed RV. Its not uncommon to put bikes on the back of the RV. We discovered that if we put the bikes in the trailer we have no way to haul them to the trailhead once we get to the camp ground with 5 bikes and 5 people.

Auto insurance in Colorado or my policy was limited to $250 personal property loss. My home owners and property are from the same company so the auto guys passed me off to the home guys after we hit $250. Our camping trailer had a $1000 personal loss but that covered the Thule rack and a few other things. So home owners is the catch all. Amazingly all the bikes stayed on during the roll but the Nomad as you can see in the picture. New (used) SUV, used trailer and tons of other stuff. It was an expensive accident.

We were driving from Grand Canyon to Moab (15 miles from Moab) on Spring Break with our three kids. It was really windy, like 50+ mph gusts. My wife was driving and she was passing a vehicle doing about 55mph in a 65 in the passing lane. Once she cleared the vehicle the wind destabilized the trailer and it fish tailed and she couldn't recover. We jack knifed, spun 180, slid into the ditch and rolled all the way over. Everyone walked away. Pretty amazing with bumps and bruises and some small cuts.

Those are the La Salle mountains in the back ground. I had a local shop check the bike out, but 4-5 rides after I got it back it cracked. Could be unrelated, also might not be.

Nomad C gen 2 cracked rear triangle-img_1202.jpg

mtbr member
    man that sucks! hope no one got hurt. good luck!
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    man that sucks! hope no one got hurt. good luck!
    Thanks for the sentiment. Insurance has taken car of us and we are stoked that everyone's ok.

May contain nuts
    Not what happened to you but I've seen a heavily loaded trailer jack knife a car on a gentle bend right in front of me - pushed the car right through a barrier on an overpass. Seems counterintuitive to have to accelerate to correct it, braking just makes it worse.
    As for the bike, a good carbon repair is entirely trustworthy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Wow, so glad you guys are all ok, what a scary incident! Definitely share your whole story with SC, they're a good company to deal with.