Wicked Fat Kid

New question here. Nomad bottom pivot debris

Any of you Nomad riders out there had this problem?:

Debris collecting in the bottom pivots...
    rocks, mud, twigs etc...

The only thing I can do to clean it thoroughly is to shoot water in there and I'd like to avoid that as much as possible.

I'm thinking of crafting some sort of neoprene-like cover. Naturally I'm thinking Lizard Skins, but they don't make anything like this...

Thanks for any input!

TNC
    noMAD man
    Could you post a pic of exactly where you're referring to? I only say that because I can't see rocks or sticks staying in any of those places at the lower link...at least with any frequency to cause concern. I can hear a tiny rock getting "crunched" in between the link and the frame every once in awhile, and this concerned me when the bike was new 1 & 1/2 years ago...but since that time, you can hardly even notice any marks where that happens...and the debris just falls off. Even in the mud, you can just knock off any buildup after the stuff dries...don't shoot water in there for obvious reasons. I've seen some folks make a homemade rubber flap for this area, but frankly unless you're riding in a swamp, I'm not sure this is really necessary. SC's newer bearing kits have much better rubber coated bearing caps and some inner seal covers that will help for longer, cleaner running for the bearings, but this doesn't really sound like what you're referring to here. Every once in a while, I can find a weed or twig resting in that area, but heck, you find that kind of stuff wedged into all manner of locations on a mountainbike occassionally. Please understand I'm not flaming you, but I haven't heard or seen this kind of problem before on any VPP bike. Maybe you're obsessing over cleanliness. Where do you ride? Maybe your location is indeed unique to this stuff being a problem. It's not unusual to see dirt/dust buildup in the bearing pockets at the lower link. I see the same thing on my Bullits and Big Hit. I don't notice the dirt/dust going past the bearing seals to any degree, however. In this pic for example, it looks a little cruddy down there, but those bearings were still clean and smooth after 14 months of use. A quick brush-off with a small paint brush removed all of this stuff. These are the OEM bearing and seals. The newer Propack stuff from SC has much better sealing...and better bearings.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wicked Fat Kid
    Thanks for the reply. And no, I don't take your post as a flame... Maybe I do obsess a little over cleanliness, but I find that where I ride forces me to do it a little. Mine is an '07 Nomad and already has the upgraded bearing kit.

Actually your photo displays the exact same issue I am seeing. Clearly a rock is sitting on top of that rear hinge and scarring the link. The link is really beefy, so I'm not that worried about it. I just thought that if I could keep junk out of there it would be better than letting it happen...

I ride in WA: Tiger, Galbraith, Sawyer, Tapeworm, Tolt, Devils Gulch, Skookum and Lake Wenatchee are some of my usual rides. Lot's of wetness, rocks, roots and scrappy stuff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Dirty Birdy Nomad

I was at my local shop on friday and my mechanic mentioned he had a Nomad with a locked vpp. He showed me the pivots. Ive never seen such a mess in my life! It looked like the guy never ever hosed his bike off. It was coated with at least 3 different kinds of mud. red, black and grey. I have a Nomad and keep it clean. The shop guy recommended taking a plastic brush and going over the pivots and the area by the rear wheel especially after wet/muddy rides. Shimano makes a good one. Its even got a little tooth picky looking things to get in the freewheel **** out. As far as water goes I wouldnt blast it in there but a good soft gentle bath on your Nomads dirty parts would make it feel much better.

Love your Nomad and it will love you back!

neutiquam erro
    Here's a homebrew solution I came up with for my Blur Classic. I cut up an old tube, and sewed in loops at each end to be able to slip velcro strips through to attach it. The velcro allows me to easily remove it for routine cleaning (this is a MUST! - do not let crap "collect" down there!), but the whole thing does a great job of keeping nasty stuff out of my VPP during rides. I've been happy with it so far...

And, finally, a recent "after" pic:

Cheers, Chris
    Last edited by Chris130; 05-21-2007 at 06:57 PM.

Wicked Fat Kid
    I emailed Santa Cruz and they suggsted squirting silicone in there...does that seem weird?

I like the piece of inner tube idea. I actually visualized something like that too...

mtbr member
    I'm using the rubber flap. Works very well! Easy to install too.

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I'm with you on this one. On some of my rides up here in the Vancouver area I'll get the whole bottom VPP link area packed with 2-3" of muck. Most of the year it doesn't happen but when we get the greasy mud with pine needles mixed in (all it takes is some rain and wind) it makes an awful mess. My Nomad is 1 yr old and looks far worse than TNC's because of this. I haven't had a problem with it but you'd think SC would have built in a bit of a gap there to prevent this from happening.

Lord of the Chainrings
    Try fabricating a fender like they have on the V-10.
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member

Keep it clean

Yo Sava,
    I have been riding the sh*t out of my NOMAD for 2+ seasons (yeah, I got one from the first batch!) through conditions large and small and never had an issue. If your bike gets that caked, you are probably destroying trail and shouldn't be riding there any way (had to do my IMBA part!).

Just wash your bike after every ride! Clean machines are happier

Members who have read this thread: 1