Thread: nomad bearings

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

nomad bearings

my nomad bearings failed this weekend after 2 years and a muddy winter - is that a reasonable timescale? i have also never done any upkeep to the bearings - just not washed them that often (which i heard was better than over cleaning??!?)

my LBS is quoting over 100/ 200us to replace the bearings, i think that is pretty steep for a 1900/3800us frameset! what is the warranty for wear and tear?

dont want to start a moan thread or put anyone off as i have thrashed this beauty for 2 years and enjoyed every moment

thanks for the input

TNC
    noMAD man
    Sounds like they're selling and installing the whole Propack shootin' match at that price...$200 U.S., right? The Propack includes every bearing, thru-shaft, pivot axle, and everything but the two main upper and lower links. Even then, that sounds a little high...at least based on the price I got through the shop for the last Nomad Propack I bought. I got the whole setup for my over two year old Nomad, but really only ended up using the four bearings contained in the lower dual link. Everything else on my Nomad was just fine. Do you know exactly which bearings failed? Personally I don't think the upper link bearings wear at anything near the rate of the lower bearings. In fact, even after 14 months of use, my lower bearings were just fine. I just installed the new bearings because I had them in hand. I'm still running the original upper bearings. They're still smooth and tight. And munky...as I'm sure you know that I would say it...put antiseize on the pivot axles of both the upper and lower links so they don't gall up in the inner bearing races and accelerate the bearing wear.

Yes...over cleaning most bikes will often cause more damage than just normal wear-and-tear. My over two year old Nomad has only been actually "washed" once. The other times I just wipe stuff off or brush it off after the crud dries.

mtbr member
    Wow! My last bike was 6.6 and I changed the bearing two and a half times in 14 months. I dream of getting two years out of a back end.
    With regard to the price, a Nomad bearing kit from Santa Cruz is $49.00! If you knew what size the bearing are you can source them from a bearing company online.
    There is a certain amount of labour involved but 100.00 seems pretty steep.

When you get the new bearing, it's not a bad idea to CAREFULLY pop out the seal on one side with a stanley knife and get some good quality grease in there. It just helps to keep the bearings alive for longer.

Cheers,

James.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    thanks for the input - will see if i need to replace all of the bearings - it would seem it is only the chainstay end lower bearings that have gone - they have developed approx 2mm of play. probably best to replace the 2 sets to the lower link...and this will get the cost down.

having asked around it seems i have probably been quite lucky especially given the mud riding over a british winter!