Learning to Fly
    Mar 2008

?? Nomad 09 vs Heckler 07: Which is Tougher ??

I'm on the quest for the perfect bike of one that will handle some bike park abuse as well as take rowdy trail rides.

I'm a big dude at 6'3" and 230. Currently I'm riding an XL Heckler 5 (the new one) with a DHX Coil and Float 36. It's built up tough to take some of my big body abuse.

Bike duty includes weekly trips to the local bike park for jump lines (getting better at them) and 6-10 foot drops I'm really enjoying riding this sort of stuff. Rowdy AM rides requiring climbing but done for the fun of decent. I few 30ish mile epics. Even a few trips to ride some North Shore trails and a pinch of Whistler.

My Heckler has been great so far but I worry about casing landings and wonder if I'm over riding the frame. Would I would be better off with a frame that can take a bit more hit and abuse? The new Nomad is damn sexy, but I'm wondering if the pretty VPP linkage will be any tougher than the simple single pivot of the Heckler? If the Bullit weren't plain ol' murder for climbing I'd think in that direction too.

Your knowledge and insights to my "which frame to rock" dilemma are appreciated.

Thanks in advance - Peaches

mtbr member
    i say the nomad will prob be the way you wanna go....you might as well score a nomad frame and just swap all your stuff off your heckler....that would be the cheaper route.....

Underweight Rider
    I own a Heckler 5 as well and after a few ride am considering a bigger travel bike......have something pre-order and it isnt a SC(wished it was). Will post once it arrives.....clue : Maelstrom.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeachesN'Cream
    I'm on the quest for the perfect bike of one that will handle some bike park abuse as well as take rowdy trail rides.

I'm a big dude at 6'3" and 230. Currently I'm riding an XL Heckler 5 (the new one) with a DHX Coil and Float 36. It's built up tough to take some of my big body abuse.

Bike duty includes weekly trips to the local bike park for jump lines (getting better at them) and 6-10 foot drops — I'm really enjoying riding this sort of stuff. Rowdy AM rides requiring climbing but done for the fun of decent. I few 30ish mile epics. Even a few trips to ride some North Shore trails and a pinch of Whistler.

My Heckler has been great so far but I worry about casing landings and wonder if I'm over riding the frame. Would I would be better off with a frame that can take a bit more hit and abuse? The new Nomad is damn sexy, but I'm wondering if the pretty VPP linkage will be any tougher than the simple single pivot of the Heckler? If the Bullit weren't plain ol' murder for climbing I'd think in that direction too.

Your knowledge and insights to my "which frame to rock" dilemma are appreciated.

Thanks in advance - Peaches

Just bought a '08 Bullit and it will kick your azz on XC riding, but when you get to turn it loose hang on and I'll see you @ the bottom.Out of the bikes you mentioned I would go w/the Nomad just a damn good all-around bike(not that the Heckler isn't) but the Nomad is built to take more abuse,and I like the slacker head angle on the Nomad. That's why I got out of XC style riding,I hate being hunched over the fr.end.That's just my 1/2cent worth.

TNC
    noMAD man

Tough question

There are a lot of variables to your question. As far as just plain toughness, I'd actually say a Heckler...but I'd say that generally about most quality, durable single pivots like a Heckler over linkage bikes. Now...would I pick a Heckler over a Nomad for what you describe?...No. Generally speaking you give up a little durability and reliability with sophisticated linkage bikes, but the amount of durability between a Nomad and Heckler is probably going to be small and not worth the performance you get with a Nomad IMO for the duties you're describing.

never ender
    As a fellow big dude (6'5", 200), I'd say go Nomad or something even heavier. Not that I don't love my Heckler, but at 36-38 pounds, it's still an XC bike to my way of thinking. I doubt that you're actually 'over-riding' your frame-Hecklers are overbuilt as a rule-but when you consider that the "average" rider is something like 5'8" and 170 pounds, bigger riders should err on the side of more travel and more beefcake. Your Heckler will still take you to the ragged edge and back, but a bigger bike will be a hell of a lot more comfortable.

Learning to Fly
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for the input dudes!

Sounds like my rig is plenty tough, but the Nomad would have a better peddle and suspension feel. I've always thought VPP bikes feel strange, but then I have always had single pivots. I'm sure it's just a matter of getting used to em.

Anyway, I got all winter to decide on a new frame so we'll see what becomes of it. I think a lime green or anno green Nomad might need to live at my house.

In the meantime I have a creaking crown on my 36 that's driving me nutz. Hope Fox is quick and nice to me. Ugggggg...

Creepy tooth fairy
    I am die hard Heckler fan and a big brick-shaped creep at 225 lb, however I recently became a Nomad convert. I think that for the kind of riding yr talking about you will enjoy a Nomad more; I do. If you are going as big as you say, you may wanna think about the new V-8 (VP-Free). Certainly, you could keep riding the Heckler until then which will likely be in the next year or less. I recently began talking about my Nomad experience on my blog so check it out.
    the going won't get good 'til I'm good and gone