Thread: nomad 09 or 08

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

nomad 09 or 08

Hi guys,
    I'm debating between two nomad models; the 09 model with the 160 mm rear suspension or the 08 model with the 165 mm rear suspension which we already know is good. It seams to me that the 08 model is more on the aggressive side, what do you think and what would you recommend?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    any help guys?
    please!!! i have a hard time choosing...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I dont have a nomad, but if you ask me, the old nomad looks better, but the new nomad has the VPP2 technology.

I am not a mechanic, I dont like taking the links apart unless it is creaking. With that in mind, the story is that the VPP2 on the Nomad 2 will require less maintenance.

That works for me when I choose the BLT2 over the BLT. I much whether be out riding.

Others will tell you taking the links apart and greasing them is no big deal. I lived thru that when I had my Proflex back in the 90s. I dont want to live thru it again every few weeks.

5mm travel difference is not that noticeable unless you ride your bike for 8 hrs everyday of the week. Perhaps you might want to consider frame geometry more.

Creepy tooth fairy

Depends on whats important to you...

...the changes made to the Nomad did not blow me away and I liked several things about the final edition of the original better. Namely the geometry, the look (like a 50's hotrod not the new BLT) and that I could get a deal on the older one and have it now as opposed to waiting until November+. I am sure the new one will rock too, however I would rather have the "pinnacle" of a design that was already great than the newest of the new. There will likely be bugs to iron out and even Ferrentino says in the SC video that there is not much difference between the new Nomad and the BLT. They are same weight and use the same shock length and similar hardware. The Nomad is slacker and has a lil' more travel. I would guess that SC will differentiate it more so eventually with future mods. The original Nomad/BLT were distinctly different in looks and use. The new BLT/Nomad usage overlaps a lil' too much IMHO.
    the going won't get good 'til I'm good and gone

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I agree will Hellbelly. I have the old model and it's such a killer ride. And it looks so sexy, sure I wouldn't mind the new VPP linkage, but I'll wait for another couple years for the newer, newer model before I consider the 09. Seems like the rushed it a bit just to get it on the market. You can probably get a killer deal on the current models with a top shelf spec as the 09 ones come out for the same price.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    thanks guys, i think i will go for the 08 model with the Cane Creek Double Barrel and a 36van-rc2

mtbr member
    Good choice

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

The Analogy Video: ...

7MGTE
    Quote Originally Posted by chaim
    thanks guys, i think i will go for the 08 model with the Cane Creek Double Barrel and a 36van-rc2
    What size you need?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    medium

7MGTE
    Quote Originally Posted by chaim
    medium
    Just checking because I have a CCDB on my Nomad and I will prob. be letting it (frame and shox) go soon.

Good luck with your search and you are going with the right bike.

mtbr member
    I have a 2008 Med. Blue for sale.Its like barnd new. It also has a Roco on the rear. I have been riding my SS and my Nomad has been just sitting. PM me if you or any one else wants mor info.

Locs on Spokez
    Quote Originally Posted by supramk388
    Just checking because I have a CCDB on my Nomad and I will prob. be letting it (frame and shox) go soon.

Good luck with your search and you are going with the right bike.
    OOO

How bout I give you my DHX Air and some cash for your CCDB?

Ground Steeze. @iggzdaloc

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Medium Trans Blue Nomad with AVA/DHX Air

Just throwing this out there:

Will be posted on Mtbr.com classifieds later on this week:

Medium Trans Blue Nomad

Year old

NO creaks

***DHXAir with AVA can installed and full service just completed**
    this will allow you to change the air can size with just a twist

Red Chris King Headset

Red Hope seat collar

XT Front Der.

3M Film used to protect critical areas, no chain stay scrapes

**option to buy at a substanial discount a set of Red Hope Pro II/Mavic 823
    wheels with 20mm front and 135mm qr/10mm rear***

Like I said. just throwing this out here before I post in classifieds, transaction will still go through classifieds no matter what. Not gonna cheat MTBR.
    Attached Images Attached Images