Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

No new VP Free now what?

I've been riding a 2007 bullit and love my bike but after riding a couple buddies vp bikes I was really hoping that SC would do an updated VP free for 09. Now that the interbike coverage is up I see 1. No bullit 2. No new VP free bike. What are the odds that SC will introduce a new VP free sometime after interbike?

I'm really considering a used vp free but was really hoping for a 1.5 headtube (so I can transfer my domain 318 over) and a ISCG mount so I can try hammerschmit. Does anybody else think it's weird that SC didn't see this as a necessary bike to bring to market?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    keep watching rumours of a V8 are swirling around with talk of a spring launch

long time to wait though - have you seen the new uzzi!

Lord of the Chainrings
    Now what?
    We ride our current kick-ass VP-Free's!
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

Surf 'n' Trail Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by munkyboy

There are only 2 prototype Uzzis... so they are still a ways off from production aand thus availability. If there are no prototypes of a new VPF yet, it does not seem possible there would even be anything in production before the middle of '09. This is assuming that SC even has any plans for a new VPF.

What to do? I'll most likely find a used VPF, saving myself a good chunk of cash, and call it good for a year (or more).

mtbr member
    now what???
    Quit waiting and buy a Blindside.... or a blow-up girlfriend

PULL
    Quote Originally Posted by munkyboy

From a vp-free owner, that new UZZI is nice!!!!

SOG
    mtbr member
    Look for a leak late October early November

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Wink

Nah more like Sea Otter 09 - probably in the final stages before they settle on the what goes to production I'd say

PULL
    It would be really cool if we saw the prototype stages, were included on the build, and could give rider feed back on the build.

Sounds like this bike is more about world cup racing than a real second generation vpfree. If this bike really is just a smaller v10 I don't know why they would even pull the vp-free.
    Last edited by NoManerz; 10-01-2008 at 12:43 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Does anyone outside of SC (and probably therefore being kept quiet) actually know whats going on with this bike? I doubt it'll be a world cup bike, thats what the V10 is for. I expect a long travel freeride bike like the Uzzi.

mtbr member

I know

we hound them with email and phone calls about the new free, they submit and release some spy shots

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    maybe there will be two - a v8 and a SS type ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by art23
    There are only 2 prototype Uzzis... so they are still a ways off from production aand thus availability. If there are no prototypes of a new VPF yet, it does not seem possible there would even be anything in production before the middle of '09. This is assuming that SC even has any plans for a new VPF.

What to do? I'll most likely find a used VPF, saving myself a good chunk of cash, and call it good for a year (or more).
    There is at least one proto, it has been spotted at Whistler by many, why there are no phone pics is anyone's guess.

It is as rumoured a scaled down V-10 type machine. We'll just have to be patient and see it when its ready.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BiGWaVeDave

I'm really considering a used vp free but was really hoping for a 1.5 headtube (so I can transfer my domain 318 over)
    Emm, the later VPs do have 1.5" headtubes do they not?

mtbr member
    sure do... my mates is a 1.5!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Response from Santa Cruz:
    "The VP-Free has been discontinued but we're working on a project to replace."

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec

VP-Free

I would stick with the current VP as its more than capable and to be honest as they say if its not broken, dont fix it!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by profile
    Emm, the later VPs do have 1.5" headtubes do they not?
    I think there's only a handful of those. When I was looking into getting a free last fall, that's what I was told.

Supposedly one of the last batches of Free's made had a 1.5" headtube, 83mm bottom bracket, and ISCG tabs, IIRC.

EDIT: BTW, I've only ever seen one of these frames, and it was on ebay and still went for a pretty penny even used, FWIW.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

All Mt, DH
    I was at my LBS yesterday and asked (again) about the new VP Free. The answer I got was Spring, although he wasnt to sure about the exact timing.....

That said I was downhilling on my Free today after changing all the pivot bearings and it's still an awesome bike..
    2007 Blur 4x
    2009 Driver 8

P-51 Crew Chief #38
    I have seen the V-8. It looks like a mini V-10 with a hydro-formed downtube. Trust me there won't be a single complaint when you see it. It rides so good!
    Balls to the wall until you see god. Turn Left!

legal alien
    Jun 2007
    Do you think the bike will be as freeride-ish? It seems like most people's needs would be met with high 6" to low 7" of travel, lower weight, and lower bottom bracket rather than a true meat hucking machine (though the current free is not a super heavy frame).

I think the new Uzzi proto is a good example of this--basically a burly trail bike with a bit of extra travel and a degree or so slacker than the typical AM bike. I would personally love to see the new free be just a little "bigger" than the Nomad, rather than another 8" beast.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Now I've got my Free down to a sensible BB height, I know what I want the new Free to be. For me, I do want that scaled down V-10. I realise thats not what everyone wants from it, but I don't want or need a 10" travel bike. I think the Nomad covers the all day freeride bike quite nicely, and I don't see the need for a jacked-up Nomad either.
    Lower BB, slack angles and ISCG05 on the BB for either Hammerschimdt or chain device please!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    so...i got the new video, This is australia...and i believe there's someone riding a v8. some kid that also rides dirtbikes and 4wheelers. It looked like a v10 but he was running a totem and when he was riding, it just looked smaller. Is that the v8???

mtbr member
    K, this is getting ridiculous.

Somebody post a spy picture already!
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

Lord of the Chainrings
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpearson
    so...i got the new video, This is australia...and i believe there's someone riding a v8. some kid that also rides dirtbikes and 4wheelers. It looked like a v10 but he was running a totem and when he was riding, it just looked smaller. Is that the v8???
    Link?
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast