Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Nickle build... need advise!!!

Nickle build... need advise!!!-1381231_10202075430068459_1184239824_n.jpg

Getting in a few days this mint Nickle (FRAME ONLY), RP23 rear shocks, sizing is small. After a very long wait (Nickles being a rarity nowadays) It will be soon be up for building. I have already collected the components to build it up:

Fox Float 36 RLC 160- will have to lower it, how low should be good for the Nick? I will be going with the 27.5 build. what front travel is best? 120mm? 130 mm? or 140 mm? How can i mimic at least the ride and feel of a Blur TRC or a 5010? With the APP i guess this would perform better (in theory) than the Bantam. imho???

Will be using XT build kits, WTB i23's, Ardents, Haven handle bar and stem, and a sweet mechanical dropper post...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I think the sweet spot for that frame up front would be 140mm of travel. I have a Blur LT that is build with 27.5 wheels and I have a 150mm up front (with 140mm in the rear), and it handles great. The BB is a little high, but I prefer it as I live in Colorado and deal with a lot of pedal strikes.

mtbr member

Re: Nickle build... need advise!!!

What types of trails do you usually ride? Which was your previous bike?
    Give us more info because longer travel is not always better...depends on usage.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the input smmokan!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bro_cro_xc View Post
    What types of trails do you usually ride? Which was your previous bike?
    Give us more info because longer travel is not always better...depends on usage.
    Bro_cro_xc I agree with you. Trails i ride are a mix of long sweeping fire roads, technicals single tracks. Reason I got the Nickle was to complement my Nomad and Superlight. Something in 'between' so to speak. The Superlight is a 650B conversion. Planning to put it back to a 26'er and swap on the 650B tires to the Nickle. I'm aware that it might raise the BB a bit but in previous forums they say it works well. Was going to get a 5010 or TR but cash is a bit tight and i hate to pass on a great deal on 'rare' Nickle. Next question is, would the 140mm up front and 650B work well? or do I have to lower the fork further??? thanks again guys!

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by saddle pimp View Post
    The Superlight is a 650B conversion. Planning to put it back to a 26'er
    Reasoning? Other than using the wheels for the Nickle?
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i feel that the 650B SL is a bit heavy, maybe due to the wheelset, wtb i23, dt swiss champion spokes and nipples, Kenda Nevegal 2.1. I think it is better suited for the Nickle. as it will be my trail bike. I might be wrong bringing back the smaller wheel size but, I plan to make it as light as I can and I have a XT WH-M778 tubeless 26 wheelset I don't want to go to waste. =)

mtbr member
    See following comments I messed up the posting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nickle build... need advise!!!-dscf0586.jpg  

mtbr member
    This is my 650B Nickel that came in at 27.5 lbs, Note how I routed the cables along the top tube to the top of the rear. This makes for a shorter and cleaner cable run. I don't understand this new business of long cable runs that can catch things and reduce efficiency. I installed Burgtech shock adapters which brought my BB to 13.5 which is perfect for where I ride in New England. After trying different lengths I found that my 26" Fox at 140 works best.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nickle build... need advise!!!-dscf0586.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jrsbike View Post
    This is my 650B Nickel that came in at 27.5 lbs, Note how I routed the cables along the top tube to the top of the rear. This makes for a shorter and cleaner cable run. I don't understand this new business of long cable runs that can catch things and reduce efficiency. I installed Burgtech shock adapters which brought my BB to 13.5 which is perfect for where I ride in New England. After trying different lengths I found that my 26" Fox at 140 works best.
    Thanks for the picture, looks like you have it all figured out. At 26 wheels, BB is 13.6 (130 mm fork, SCB website) And I plan to slap on a 27.5 tire, I'm a bit worried about raising the BB a bit. But I'll take it for a spin once I finish the build. If I am happy with the BB height i'll keep it that way, but if not I'll get a burgtech Shock bushing... can you please share the link of where you got the off set bushings? thank you!

mtbr member
    I am surprised that the BB height with 26" wheels is 13.6. I was at 13.75 with the 27.5 wheels before installing the Burgtec bushings. I rode it that way for a while and found it fine especially since my rocky/rooty terrain results in pedal strikes. The new generation of bikes with low BBs wont work here for typical riders. Their address is
    Burgtec | Shop Burgtec Penthouse Flats. The Nickel geometry as published by SC is based on a 130 RS Revelation. The AC for a Fox 140 is just about the same.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I am surprised that the BB height with 26" wheels is 13.6. I was at 13.75 with the 27.5 wheels before installing the Burgtec bushings. I rode it that way for a while and found it fine especially since my rocky/rooty terrain results in pedal strikes. The new generation of bikes with low BBs wont work here for typical riders. Their address is
    Burgtec | Shop Burgtec Penthouse Flats. The Nickel geometry as published by SC is based on a 130 RS Revelation. The AC for a Fox 140 is just about the same.

My trail are mixed so will test out first at it's current set up, will post pictures and review. Many thanks!

mtbr member
    650b Nickel here, also with 140mm up front, with no complaints. The bb is a little high, but the lack of pedal strikes for me is worth it. But I am very intrigued by the Burgtec bushing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nickle build... need advise!!!-_mg_4156.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rinconjake680 View Post
    650b Nickel here, also with 140mm up front, with no complaints. The bb is a little high, but the lack of pedal strikes for me is worth it. But I am very intrigued by the Burgtec bushing.
    Nice build there... like you I'm interested in making the BB a bit lower,,, I'm at work right now and wont be home for a couple of weeks more, i'll try out the Nickle first at stock BB with the 27.5 wheels. from there, we'll see if I will try the Burgtec...
    Shout out to JRS... what size of bushings does the Nickle use??? thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Nickle build... need advise!!!-1456715_10151810780814141_1777470051_n.jpg

Got it!!! the build starts... one thing I noticed, there are no water bottle bolts under neath the down tube as pictured in some models... what version did I get???

mtbr member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1456715_10151810780814141_1777470051_n.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	846262

Got it!!! the build starts... one thing I noticed, there are no water bottle bolts under neath the down tube as pictured in some models... what version did I get???

With the curved down tube, it appears you got the same as mine ('10-'11)
    But mine has bolt holes on both inside and outside of down tube.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rinconjake680 View Post
    With the curved down tube, it appears you got the same as mine ('10-'11)
    But mine has bolt holes on both inside and outside of down tube.
    I had the chance to get a newer version, the olive green and with kashima RP23, but i opted for this, not impressed by the last version of the Nickle, I wanted the old classy santa cruz decals, and the curved downtube is working for me... is it because of the size? why there are no water bottle mounts on my frame? it is sized small by the way... itching to build her up... 2 more weeks of work...

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I would really like to know if you can use the offset bushings with 650b wheels. Will there be clearance problems?

Anyone try this successfully?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by richulr View Post
    I would really like to know if you can use the offset bushings with 650b wheels. Will there be clearance problems?

subscribing... =)

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    what's the stock size of the Nickle?

I saw an ad of a fox rp23 kashima 7.5 "x 2"

Specs:

Rebound Tune M
    Velocity Tune M
    Boost Valve Tune 200

would this fit the Nickle? ty

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    7.875 x 2

mtbr member
    Nice build there... like you I'm interested in making the BB a bit lower,,, I'm at work right now and wont be home for a couple of weeks more, i'll try out the Nickle first at stock BB with the 27.5 wheels. from there, we'll see if I will try the Burgtec...
    Shout out to JRS... what size of bushings does the Nickle use??? thanks
    I dont know what the dimensions are but you could check the Burgtec site.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richulr View Post

I did not have a problem. You don't lose travel and everything seems fine in back. I was wondering is you could use a shock with the same travel but shorter eye to eye and drop a little height that way. Both Fox and RS make these.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DYI01 View Post
    7.875 x 2
    got it thanks!!!

mtbr member
    If I had money to burn its an experiment I would like to try

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    If I had money to burn its an experiment I would like to try
    second that!!! =)