NMBP

Nickel-School me please

So what can you tell me about the Nickel? They are having a very good sale on them at Competitive Cyclist, and I wouldn't mind a second bike to compliment my 29er. Are they no longer being made? I didn't see them on the SC website. I take it that they are a lower end model full suspension for Santa Cruz? Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    lots of info on the different mtb web sites.
    SC no longer make them ... thus the good prices found at the moment. Was too expensive for those wanting less and not enough for those having more
    I have one and like it no regrets ( exept I bought mine before the sales ...)

mtbr member
    The Nickel and Butcher were an attempt at a modified single pivot which offered wheel travel similar to Santa Cruz's main VPP bikes. It was called APP, active pivot point.

It apparently was a sales flop, because they discontinued the Nickel and Butcher after only... what, 2 model years?

However, I rarely see a bad comment about either bike. I think APP did exactly what it was supposed to do, be a well-built single pivot that costs less than VPP bikes. All single pivot bikes are not the same by any means. The specifics of the geometry and the shock used matters a whole lot for the final package.

NMBP
    Thanks guys. It seems like a great deal for $2000. (Originally $3600) X-9 build, Fox 15mm CTD Kashima fork.

NMBP
    Is it a fairly plush, overall playful bike to ride? I wouldn't mind a bike that I can toss around and have some fun on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gfs69 View Post
    Thanks guys. It seems like a great deal for $2000. (Originally $3600) X-9 build, Fox 15mm CTD Kashima fork.
    My dad almost bought that bike when it was ... $2300ish, maybe $2500 a few months ago.

Instead he got a BMC Speedfox SF01 from Speedgoat for $2399. Speedgoat also might have some SF02s left for $1699, which is a crazy good deal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I just picked one up. Couldn't pass up that deal considering my budget was $2000.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Sorry to resurrect this, but the OP didn't update with his decision, and Competitive Cyclist still has Full X9 Nickels for $1999. Just in case he or anyone else is still on the fence, I wanted to sing the Nickel's praises again.

I bought the X9 Nickel deal from CC about a month ago and couldn't be happier. I can't believe the amount of bike you can get for $2K flat. I upgraded the bars (EA70 wide) and stem (EA90) from their base build and was out the door at $2066. This bike is so much fun already, and I'm really still fairly tentative since I'm still getting used to the new handling. The Nickel loves to go fast and eats everything in it's path. The faster you go, the better this bike feels. It climbs great too. Don't let the frame weight scare you away. With a decent, light wheelset, mine came in at 27.8 lbs with pedals, which is great, but it rides like it's even lighter. The front end wanders a tiny bit more than my old XC bike, but I pretty instantly adjusted to that and have had no issues scrambling up steeps. I haven't bothered with any lockouts for climbing as I don't notice any pedal bob while sitting and spinning. In higher gears and standing climbs, there is some, but even then, it's not enough to bother with the shock lever.

Also, plenty of people here are already showing how versatile the Nickel is. You can run 650b, you can run a 57mm stroke shock to lengthen the rear travel. I really don't think there is a better deal on an awesome trail bike to be had anywhere. The Santa Cruz Nickel may be the best kept secret in mountain bikes.

Here's mine just after building it up:

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by

Here's mine just after building it up:

[IMG
    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-CNSpdBMfIH8/UNB5FtMQhbI/AAAAAAAABrg/gdjiuJl5UzU/s901/IMAG0431.jpg[/IMG]
    Looks great! I actually picked up a Carbon Tallboy in the sale instead. I will probably build it up soon.

Creepy tooth fairy

The APP bikes are the best secret out...

I concur with all of the above. I purchased my Butcher almost two years ago and it is an amazing bike. It really does everything I ask of it and is an especially good climber. It's descending abilities flat out rule and it shreds trails with aplomb. I have no reason to seek out anything else.
    the going won't get good 'til I'm good and gone

mtbr member
    I built my own when the frame sets dropped in price for a 650b build and love it, as plush and fun to ride as this is I'm intrigued to try a true VPP bike.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gfs69 View Post
    Looks great! I actually picked up a Carbon Tallboy in the sale instead. I will probably build it up soon.
    Nice! Post some pics when you get it going. The Tallboy is a great bike. I doubt I'll ever have the budget for carbon anything!

@Hellbelly

Yeah, I truly haven't read a bad experience from anyone on either of the APP bikes. Here on mtbr, the butcher doesn't have a single rating below 5 chili's... that's saying something.

@madsedan

The folks I've read who've ridden both say the APP feels even plusher than the VPP, but I have read the brake interaction (primarily stiffening) with the suspension is a little more with the APP. I haven't noticed it. Some conspiracy theorists say SC dropped the APP only because it was stealing away some VPP sales. Of course that's not SC's story, but regardless, everyone seems to love their APP bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davemayo2000 View Post
    @madsedan

The folks I've read who've ridden both say the APP feels even plusher than the VPP, but I have read the brake interaction (primarily stiffening) with the suspension is a little more with the APP. I haven't noticed it. Some conspiracy theorists say SC dropped the APP only because it was stealing away some VPP sales. Of course that's not SC's story, but regardless, everyone seems to love their APP bikes.
    I've seen one or two people mention brake changes in the rear under suspension load and maybe my bike does it but I can't feel it. I have asked a couple of other Nickel/Butcher riders about it as well and nada. My theory is that people are over-using the rear at a point in the travel when the suspension is loaded and its a release issue???

I like to believe they killed the APP bike for that reason, I can't find any legit complaints or issues that were widespread enough to kill it. Inn all truthfullness though, they did have some product overlap and needed to trim down the line a bit, and it may have been a supply/inventory decision at the end of the day. We'll never know.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by madsedan View Post
    We'll never know.
    Agreed. That's the one thing we *do* know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Anyone know the weight of competitive cyclist's nickel out the door?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Box weighed 12.80 lbs for a medium frame.
    41" x 25" x 9".

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Lol! How about the full bike put together with the x9 package?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Sorry, I don't know.
    You gonna ship this outta the US I assume?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    No just wondering how much it weighs built. Some decent weights on here for them but wondering what the competitive cyclist build starts at.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    around 27lbs

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    more impressions please

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by richulr View Post
    No just wondering how much it weighs built. Some decent weights on here for them but wondering what the competitive cyclist build starts at.
    My build is basically the CC build (full x9, Fox float 140, float rl, ea70 xct wheels, elixir 9 brakes, Easton bars, stem, post). Upgraded to a lighter stem, but really just to change color. Upgraded to wider bars, which added some weight back. Mine weighs 27.8 lbs in size L with candy 3 pedals. I really don't think you should worry about the weight too much. I've read posts about Nickels everywhere from sub 26 to well over 30 in a ton of different setups. The common thread among them all is the rider loves it.