just ride
    Oct 2006

Nickel: RP23 Push'ed or RT3 plus?

I want a plusher feel/more active when descending. I notice the rear end will loose contact with the ground. Almost as if the shock is not fast enough to keep up with the bumps. That said, I'm thinking of upgrading my shock to...

1) OE RP23 Kashima 125mm, PUSH'ed?

or

2) Monarch RT3 Plus 142mm?

Please note that I've been toying with the shock and I just can't find the sweet spot. I also have an Epic Expert 29 with brain set at almost FIRM mode and that bike feels more active and stuck to the ground than the stock RP23 on the Nickel. As much as possible, I'd like to keep the RP23 for the weight savings but if I can't get what I'm looking for, I don't mind upgrading to RT3 Plus.

Please advise. Thank you!

smartass
    There is no sweet spot, it just sucks. I had the RP23 and swapped it for an older RP3 Push tuned with their trail tune and big hit kit. No comparison, the Push tuned shock is better in every way.

I haven't ridden the Monarch or a long travel shock on the Nickel, but I'd have a hard time spending money on an upgrade and not trying the long travel with a piggyback shock.

Sorry, that doesn't help at all, does it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Nickel: RP23 Push'ed or RT3 plus?

I have a Pushed Monarch on my HD and think the Monarch Plus is a much better shock than a RP23 - Push or not. It will move a lot more oil and not fade. Would also talk to Suspension Experts in NC about a custom tuned Monarch Plus. Have heard really good things about their tuning.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

just ride
    Oct 2006
    Nickel: RP23 Push'ed or RT3 plus?-img_20130707_194210_358.jpg

Picked up the 142 RC3 plus with "HH" marking on it. We'll see how it compares with the RP23.

just ride
    Oct 2006
    Push doesn't do Rockshox anymore...

I contacted Sus Exp in NC and will ship it to them today. They told me they don't replace/modify any parts. Just tuning it. I think PUSH modifies something inside. Anyway, I just hope it'll be a night and day difference from RP23 to RC3 tuned. Right now with the stock RC3 Plus, there's isn't really much difference between the two. As a matter of fact, the RC3 has a stiffer feel and has more rebound even at full 'fast' rebound mode. Then again, I bought the HH tune so what do I expect?

Also want to share this to you guys. I weighed it more than 3 times because I couldn't believe it. I thought the RC3 Plus is 100+ grams heavier than the RP23 but...
    Nickel: RP23 Push'ed or RT3 plus?-img_7616.jpgNickel: RP23 Push'ed or RT3 plus?-img_7617.jpg

it's only 34 grams difference!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjay View Post
    Push doesn't do Rockshox anymore...

I contacted Sus Exp in NC and will ship it to them today. They told me they don't replace/modify any parts. Just tuning it. I think PUSH modifies something inside. Anyway, I just hope it'll be a night and day difference from RP23 to RC3 tuned. Right now with the stock RC3 Plus, there's isn't really much difference between the two. As a matter of fact, the RC3 has a stiffer feel and has more rebound even at full 'fast' rebound mode. Then again, I bought the HH tune so what do I expect?

Also want to share this to you guys. I weighed it more than 3 times because I couldn't believe it. I thought the RC3 Plus is 100+ grams heavier than the RP23 but...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7616.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	815007Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7617.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	815008

it's only 34 grams difference!!
    The monarch is actually a pretty easy shock to service yourself as well as change the tunes. Don't really need to send it off to a shop to do it if you're mechanically inclined. If you maintenance your own forks you should be able to do this shock.

just ride
    Oct 2006
    Never opened one but yeah, I do my own fork maintenance. For sure when the maintenance is up, I'll work on it myself. Just not sure if I want to tune it myself though. I have the trial and error part. It's very time consuming.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjay View Post
    Never opened one but yeah, I do my own fork maintenance. For sure when the maintenance is up, I'll work on it myself. Just not sure if I want to tune it myself though. I have the trial and error part. It's very time consuming.
    Sorry, what I meant was that the low and medium tunes are already documented on the forum. If you wanted to take the piston off you could remove the shims needed to match a low/low tune. Though if you're already willing to spend the money, a good suspension shop would be able to revalve the shock to suit your bike and riding better then the generic tune.

just ride
    Oct 2006

Suspension Expert Tuned RC3+ is here!

I've had the shock on Friday and used it for 10 miles on Friday night, 16 miles on Saturday, 15 miles on Sunday & 10 miles again on Monday.

On Friday when I rode it at night, I was not impressed with the shock. As a matter of fact, I was a bit disappointed because it felt like it still has high compression/rebound. It felt sticky even when I had it pumped at 130psi which is where I have my RP23 set at. I was comparing this side by side on my wife's bike which is also a Nickel with RP23 set at 130 psi. Hers was just plush when I sit on it but sags almost 40% with my gear on and the RC3+ would sagged at 30% with 130psi.

On Saturday, I went on a trail where I do most drops/jumps and high speed stutter bumps and brake bumps. Toward the end of the ride, where the RP23 would stiffen up and my legs would get tired from squatting, the RC3+ felt consistent and felt like it got smoother/less sticky. Also, I had lowered down the psi to 112 but I wasn't bottoming out. As a matter of fact, I had 2mm left on the stanchion even after doing drops.

On Sunday, the bike felt exactly like Saturday. It felt just a tad plusher than RP23 but it wasn't significant difference between the two.

Monday night, I did another 10 miles and the bike rear shock felt soft! It sagged by 50% right when I sat on it and I had lighter gear. Since it was a short and easy ride, I only carried 16 oz of water as opposed to 64 oz. Also, the bike felt like it was moving too much when I sit and pedal at open mode. I checked the shock's psi and it was still at 112 psi. I then tried to pump it to 130 psi where it should be in the first place and the bike felt great at 130 while pedaling and to try the shock, I did few 4' drops and 3' drops & a short 19.5% grade 0.2 mile fast bumpy descend and it felt like I had my shock set at 100 psi!! It was smooth!! I double checked to see if I'm loosing air because it just felt too good to have it this plush and no it wasn't loosing air! Also, after the 4-footer drop, I still had 2mm left of travel! I may air it out a little bit since I don't really do much 4 footer on the trail that I go to. I just hope that the platform will stay for climbing. So far at 130 psi, the bike is very smooth and it doesn't bounce around on high speed bumpy terrain even when the brakes are applied (I don't lock my brakes btw. I just tap 'em). Before the rear end would act weird when brakes were applied.

Anyway, I guess I just needed to have it broken in which I totally forgot. My initial thought of the RC3+ tuned was a complete waste of money but I was wrong! The bike handles much better and the platform is like my RP23 set at "2"/Firm, I love it!! I don't need to look down and see where the numbers are set at like the RP23. Now, I just flip the knob while pedaling. Nickel: RP23 Push'ed or RT3 plus?-img_20130720_125549_009.jpg

I also want to add that the bike is f'n STEALTH with the 32T Wolftooth and Sram X9 without guide or keeper. Only thing I hear is my frieds tire braking in front of me on the video. Nickel is awesome!!

26.2 lbs with 150mm fork and 142mm shock! Not bad.