mtbr member

nickel derailleur hanger and bolts

I replaced the chainrings, chain and cassette on my Nickel last week. During the second ride on the new drive train both the rear derailleur hanger bolts snapped. I replaced the bolts and 3 rides later the hanger snaps in half. The rear derailleur was destroyed when the hanger broke because it when into the spokes. Spokes look fine. While I have bent a few derailleur hangers over the years this is the first time I have had a derailleur hanger or derailleur hanger bolts snap in 23 years of trail riding.

I did cut the chain slightly shorter than the old chain. I normally cut the chain used big/big plus 2 links but noticed that several of my riding buddies are doing big/big plus 1 link without issue so that is what I did this time.

Could it be that the chain is too short or is something else going on?

I've always run a long rear der and they get destroyed by rocks here in phoenix so I'm but I'm wondering if should I go with a medium derailleur this time? I'm runnin' 32/24 up front and 11-36 out back.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by noosa2 View Post
    I did cut the chain slightly shorter than the old chain. I normally cut the chain used big/big plus 2 links but noticed that several of my riding buddies are doing big/big plus 1 link without issue so that is what I did this time.

Could it be that the chain is too short or is something else going on?

I've always run a long rear der and they get destroyed by rocks here in phoenix so I'm but I'm wondering if should I go with a medium derailleur this time? I'm runnin' 32/24 up front and 11-36 out back.
    I'm fairly confident in saying that your chain is too short. Do your buddies going Big/Big+1 also ride Nickel's? Easy way to check is do mount everything up, undo the shock bolts and cycle through the suspension, and watch what happens.

You'll have to double check the maximum tooth capacity on whatever rear der you get to see if it will work. I'm running a 26/38 with an 11-36 and am using a med. cage just fine. With a properly sized chain of course
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    I'm fairly confident in saying that your chain is too short. Do your buddies going Big/Big+1 also ride Nickel's?
    e
    Nah, none of my buddies have a nickel...

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by noosa2 View Post
    Nah, none of my buddies have a nickel...
    Thaaaaaat might have sumthin' to do with it
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Are you positive the hanger snapped first or could the hanger have been bent and as you shifted to a larger gear the rear derailleur went into the spokes. The spokes then take the rear derailleur for a short ride. I have done this more than once in the days before replaceable rear derailleur hangers.

urmb
    “Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a bike.” ~ John F. Kennedy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by urmb View Post
    Are you positive the hanger snapped first or could the hanger have been bent and as you shifted to a larger gear the rear derailleur went into the spokes. The spokes then take the rear derailleur for a short ride. I have done this more than once in the days before replaceable rear derailleur hangers.

urmb
    No, I'm not sure, I had just done I tough tech climb in granny and as I started down the other side I shifted up from granny in the front and next thing I know the rear wheel is locked up.

I was wrong about the chain...it is big/big plus about 3 links. I must have measured (big/big plus one link) and cut when I still had the old 36T chainring mounted. I replaced the 36T with a 32T so the chain has plenty of length...so I'm not sure why I had 2 fails so close together...