IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Good job! New Tallboy C came with WTB Frequency i19s, not TN719s

Hey all,

Just wanted to let you know that if you order a Tallboy C, you might not get the rims you expect. I picked up a stock SPX XC build last night and it had WTB Frequency Team i19 'Teams' instead of Mavic TN719s. Everything is laced to DT Swiss 350s as advertised.

Did some quick Googling and these rims are lighter than the TN719s and some earlier chatter in other mtbr forums calls them comparable to Arches but says they're stiffer and 'harder' (don't dent as easily). Haven't gone for a real ride yet, but some after some driveway sprints, they sure feel stiff.

Ditching the TN719s for Arches was going to be one of my first moves, so it sounds like SC is a step ahead of at least one of its customers.

Got A Lust for Life...
    Bout time. The TN719, while being a well built rim, is not marketable. No tubeless, not wide enough, and heavy.
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member extraordinair
    Yep! Mine came from the LBS the same way. At first I was worried as the WTB quality was spotty, but these new I19s look very good so far.
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    damn.. mine came with TN719 with DT350 hub. and i just picked it up 2 weeks ago.
    owell... it gave me more reason to upgrade my wheelset.

Man of Faith
    Oct 2011

TN 719 dismay

Yeah, me too. I've been thinking that I'm feeling a bit o flex back there on my C Tallboy. Just ordered some Easton EA 70s to test my theory. Really wanted some carbon Havens but cannot go that deep after just busting the piggy bank on this bike last summer.

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Two days / 32mi of Pisgah on the i19s and I've got say they're pretty nice. It's probably a combo of the frame, the QR15 up front, and the wheelset, but this thing just tracks whatever line I ask for.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Just picked mine up today. Same thing, had the WTB i19.

bog
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKidOnBike View Post
    Yeah, me too. I've been thinking that I'm feeling a bit o flex back there on my C Tallboy. Just ordered some Easton EA 70s to test my theory. Really wanted some carbon Havens but cannot go that deep after just busting the piggy bank on this bike last summer.
    The TBc has a flexy back end. Even Haven carbons didn't do much for the flex. You don't get a sub 6 lbs 29er frame by having burly tubes!
    SC Tallboy C : SC Nomad 3 : Giant TCX SLR : Giant Propel Adv SL

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bog View Post
    The TBc has a flexy back end. Even Haven carbons didn't do much for the flex. You don't get a sub 6 lbs 29er frame by having burly tubes!
    Flexy compared to what? The chain stays are an inch in diameter and it's one solid piece of carbon.

bog
    mtbr member
    Flexy compared to a Blur XCc, Niner RDO, Rocky Mtn MSL, Rocky Mtn Element 29, Rocky Mtn Altitude 29, Yeti SB-66, and a bunch of others that I've ridden. If you stand beside the bike, grab the top of the rear wheel in one hand and the seat tube in the other then push the wheel back and forth you'll know what I mean.

And no, the chainstays are not an inch in diameter. They may be pretty big at their midpoint but not where it really matters near the link.

Man of Faith
    Oct 2011
    That flex test you are talking about? I did it and felt what you are talking about. I called SC on that. They said that is common to 29ers. Are you saying there is a F'S 29er out there that will not produce any such flex in the same test? I'd like to see that.

bog
    mtbr member
    You're obviously very sensitive about this so I'm sorry to have offended you.

Yes, there are a few FS 29er's that don't flex nearly this much. I named a couple of them in case you didn't read my post properly.

I own a TB and love it but it certainly has more flex in the back end than I'd like. The could have beefed up the lower link area quite a bit and gone with a 12x142 axle. The 12x142 made a heck of a difference on my SB-66 and surprise, surprise it is even a 26" wheeled bike!

Man of Faith
    Oct 2011
    No worries bog! I suppose I am pretty touchy about this subject--I spent $5K on a bike. It's worth more than my daily driver. The research I conducted seemed to indicate it was about as stiff as a 29er could get. That being said, I do feel a bit embarassed to admit that I made a discovery the other day that has improved the situation already: I have been riding this new bike using pretty much the same cornering technique I used with my old Jekyll (i.e., sitting through corners once in a while). That is exactly where I would feel the 'wash out effect'/flex back there, especially when in the looser/muddy stuff. I finally realized that the leverage on that big hoop back there can be minimized if I get my butt of the saddle and disperse thatt weight to the BB. Major improvement. Now before you critics out there go and sling your arrows because off this 'late discovery', consider leaving it alone. Perhaps there are others who could learn from 'my mistake'.

bog
    mtbr member
    I found a very similar thing. I can corner on my Yeti with my weight back and really push the back end but I have to be farther forward on my TB to get it to carve better. The flex is especially apparent when I stuff the back end into a rooty corner and it kind of twangs out of it. It doesn't really bother me because it is my XC bike and built up pretty light. It still hauls.

Man of Faith
    Oct 2011
    Right on. Couldn't agree with you more. The benefits far outweigh this shortcoming. The only thing is, when I demoe'd this bike at Duthie, the back end was rock hard consistent. I didn't feel a mm of flex and I was really looking for that. I guess part of it was the trails up there (lots of flowy bermy stuff) but the other thing is they were running Havens on those demo bikes. I thought they were carbon Havens, but when I called SC the other day they said no/they run the standard Havens on their demo days. Ride on!

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKidOnBike View Post
    I made a discovery the other day that has improved the situation already: I have been riding this new bike using pretty much the same cornering technique I used with my old Jekyll (i.e., sitting through corners once in a while)....I finally realized that the leverage on that big hoop back there can be minimized if I get my butt of the saddle and disperse thatt weight to the BB. Major improvement. Now before you critics out there go and sling your arrows because off this 'late discovery', consider leaving it alone. Perhaps there are others who could learn from 'my mistake'.
    Heh, no arrows here. On Saturday I intentionally did a 9-mile climb on a switchbacked gravel road just to have dozens of turns to sort on some positioning, and I found out the same thing. I have to take a more forward and aggressive position on the Tallboy than I did on my LT. Once I started to get some muscle memory behind it, though, woohoo! - controlled drift city. (Except for the part where I almost missed the turn with one hell of a dropoff. That was almost messy short city.)

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Stiffest bike I've ever owned!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I just got a dxc kit but upgraded to this whrelset. Looks pretty good so far. Ill post pics soon

mtbr member

New SC High Ball on the way

Ordered a new HB last night and should have it by the weekend. I have a TallBoy c as well, but if I really love the HB, may parts ways with the full suspension. Was planning to upgrade the wheels to carbon, but now excited about the WTB stock ones. If they are stiff and light I am sold. Thanks for the tip on getting out of the saddle, I am sure I will need to change my style to accommodate the harder ride so any other tips are appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bog View Post
    You're obviously very sensitive about this so I'm sorry to have offended you.

Yes, there are a few FS 29er's that don't flex nearly this much. I named a couple of them in case you didn't read my post properly.

I own a TB and love it but it certainly has more flex in the back end than I'd like. The could have beefed up the lower link area quite a bit and gone with a 12x142 axle. The 12x142 made a heck of a difference on my SB-66 and surprise, surprise it is even a 26" wheeled bike!
    Ok, just got back from a long ride on the TBc. Before I went out I figured what the heck I'll try this "flex test." Well I did and and no flex. I'm about 220 and pulled on the the thing real good and it is not as you make it out to be.

Oh, and one more thing Bog, they did go with a 12X142, which is what my bike has with the i19 wheels. You may have the older TBc that did not get the 12x142. Now I'll admit I can't speak for you or others that don't have the 12X142, but I have it and at 220 with out a pack and in fast, techy, rooty, rocky, or whatever, I find there is no flex.

While I have kept an eye out for the Niner Jet9 RDO demo, I want to see how it stacks up against it. Every time I get off a long ride on the TBc I just can't find any complaints. I'll even go so far to say the pedal strikes seem a bit exaggerated. In 4 months time I can count the pedal strikes on one hand. The TBc is still holding its own since it came out as one of the best damn FS 29ers period, in class that has the Niner Jet9RDO, Cann Scalpel, Trek Superfly100, Yeti SB95, Spec Epic/Camber comp. I'll put the TBc up against these any day. The only other bike I have considered because I loved the way it rides is the Tallboy LTc. The only thing holding me back is color options. New colors and I'm in. Anyway enough of my big mouth. Have fun on your TB's ladies and gents. Keep up the good work Santa Cruz, we love it!

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thought my 2011 TBc had some flex with Easton Haven Alloy wheels. Had some axle problems so put on the wife's old 719/350 wheels from her TBc (she got AC Race wheels). Anyway, no more flex. The Eastons have quit a bit of flex that actually feels more like it's in the hub, maybe the low-spoke count is the problem. Also, after a few rides on your TBc, always re-torque the bottom linkage. I did a re-torque on mine and the wifes; both have been tight for at least 6 months now.

Concerning the Mavic 719s: I threw in a couple Bontrager tubeless rim-strip thingies, mounted Geax tires (regular style, not TNT, AKA and Mezcal) they work amazing. Just a scoop of stans with the strips and perfection. Great training set-up, strong, no flex and great tubeless-ness. Might get myself some AC Race wheels for races, nearly as light as Crest but not as flexy.