mtbr member

New Solo Build from Scratch - Tyre ideas please?

Frame arrives Friday & all parts i either have in the garage or have bought over the past few months as i was toying with turning my Nomad C (31.5Lb) into a lighter bike, but when the Solo came out it made sense as a perfect UK XC/Trail bike, i feel a little over biked on the Nomad at times but will keep it for play & knarly trail rides.

Now the tyres are the last things to be sorted, so as 27.5 tyres are fairly new on the radar, i'm after suggestions please around the 600-700g range, that will be UST/Tubeless ready.

Its being built as my new Xc bike (to replace the Blur Xc Carbon 23lb & currently for sale). Solo target weight around the 25lb mark i hope, build as follows:

Large Black/Green Solo, Kashima RP23
    Fox 140mm CTD RLC Taper Kashima Black
    Hope Black Headset
    Easton Carbon XC Monkeybar
    Thompson 80mm Zero Degree stem
    Easton Carbon Seatpost (After 1st ride will want to add reverb!)
    Saddle - Fizik Gobi (Green Wings)
    Grips-green race face Strafe
    Brakes XT with ice rotors, 200/180
    Shifters-XTR
    F/R Mech- XTR
    Crank- 2x XTR
    Pedal-XT SPD
    Cassette-XTR 36-11
    Chain-XTR
    Cables-XTR
    Wheels- Arch EX on Pro 2, running tubeless with tape and stans.

Wanted Contis- but looks like there not ready till nov-jan
    Schwable?
    Geax?
    Maxxis? SC spec HR2/Ardent, just might be a bit hefty for xc duties...
    Who else is there?
    Ideas please folks,
    Cheers..
    For Sale- Blur XCc'11+fox 120
    Litespeed Ardennes '09,
    Xc/Trail - Solo C Black
    AMl- Nomad C Green '13+36's

b a n n e d
    None of what you posted is helpful information other than the size and target weight. What is necessary to make such a recommendation is what type of terrain you ride. Is it loose over hard? Sandy? Peaty? Wet? Rooty? Rocky? Soft? Hard? etc.

You'll get much better recommendations posting in your regional forum or one of the more general forums. Tires are not going to be specific to a frame (unless you're worried about clearance issues).
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Viva la Vida!

Schwalbe or Vee-Rubber
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    None of what you posted is helpful information other than the size and target weight. What is necessary to make such a recommendation is what type of terrain you ride. Is it loose over hard? Sandy? Peaty? Wet? Rooty? Rocky? Soft? Hard? etc.

You'll get much better recommendations posting in your regional forum or one of the more general forums. Tires are not going to be specific to a frame (unless you're worried about clearance issues).
    Hi 007,
    Thanks for the reply, i have also posted in the 27.5 forum, so maybe not the best place for my post in the SC forum as most Solo owners maybe running more AM or stock tyres.
    Understand where your coming from, but as i have no experience with 27.5 tyres yet, i was looking for who rates what 27.5 tyres as good or bad.
    And i know some people slate various manufacturers designs, but love others, e.g. i heard many love Hans Dampf for example, and others say they wear quickly, knobs breaking off etc. but as you say its down to where you ride/personal opinion.
    Most of my UK riding i can encounter pretty much all of the surfaces you list, depending on time of year/when we last had rain, if its local to me or if i go further afield, say to a welsh trail centre.
    But i'm looking for an all round xc/trail fast rolling combination, that arent too wide for xc (or heavy) my local stuff is sandy or mud with a little rock/plenty of roots, but also something that will be good for rocky conditions should i go further afield to a rocky trail centre (snakeskin type walls).

I have wanted to try the Conti Trail or Mountain King2 for a while on the Nomad, as they are supposed to roll well and good in mixed conditions, but as we are heading into winter i ordered a 2.4 Baron (900g) for the front & will slap the Nobby Nic on the rear, (running a x mark right now, but with winter mud coming it'll be useless).

For the Solo I really wanted these & waiting to find out if they are available before Nov;
    Front options
    27.5 Trail King 775g 0100904
    27.5 Trail King 705g 0100905
    27.5 Mtn King 2 670g 0100855
    Rear
    27.5 X king 2.2 620g 0100910

I think i may have to go with Schwable as they are available now, thinking about 2 combos;
    Front-Rocket Ron, 2.25 snakeskin, evo, pacestar 550g
    Rear-Racing Ralph, 2.2 SS, Evo,ps, 585g
    OR
    Front- Nobby Nic, Pacestar, snakeskin,evo 625g,
    Rear- Rocket Ron 2.25 snakeskin, evo, pacestar triple at 550g....

But i wanted to know what else was out there around 6-700g that people like.

Thanks
    For Sale- Blur XCc'11+fox 120
    Litespeed Ardennes '09,
    Xc/Trail - Solo C Black
    AMl- Nomad C Green '13+36's

b a n n e d
    IME, the Nobby Nic was a tremendously fun tire in the loose-over-hard terrain when run as a rear tire, paired with a Hans Dampf in the front. The NN, however, wore out within a matter of weeks. The HD is stil going strong though after several months. Plus the sidewalls are nice and strong.

I've replaced the NN with a Continental Trail King. We'll see how it fares.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member

The new Maxxis Ardent race is now available in 27.5 I have one coming for the rear of my Bronson