mtbr member

New SC Build Kits available..

I just noticed this today... I'm specially intrigued by the XTR/Enve kit...
    Santa Cruz Bicycles

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The V10 C Enve is almost perfect, All I need is a carbon easton 35

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    WHOA.... there is a new D level Tallboy LT complete for just $2,599... That's a full $500 less than the previous entry level TBLT.

Also they have switched to SRAM from Shimano for several components, now has a full Race Face cockpit instead of the Easton EA30.

:Forehead Slap:

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Ok this is kind of the newb in me, what's the difference between the D Level (SRAM) and the other Shimano options that makes the Shimano ones "better"?

mtbr member
    Rxc package on a Blur XCc is now $4496! Thats a pretty big increase from $3800. No, I do not have the "latest and greatest", but my purchase of a new left over 2010 Blur XCc with R xc package for less than $2500 a couple months back makes me VERY happy.
    Last edited by BXCc; 07-03-2012 at 08:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yeah, apple to apples they pretty much all went up. For example Blur LT SPX kit went from 4299 to 4599

New kit has WTB i23 rims(replaced DT EX500) and CTD (replaced float), but otherwise looks the same.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    someone has infos about the rock shox sektor fork offered in the TBa Kits?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
    WHOA.... there is a new D level Tallboy LT complete for just $2,599... That's a full $500 less than the previous entry level TBLT.
    Yeah that's rad. Killer price!

Is a Tallboy carbon and LTc with Kashima CTD shock really $2903.00 now though???

Santa Cruz Bicycles

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post

Is a Tallboy carbon and LTc with Kashima CTD shock really $2903.00 now though???
    yes, yesterday there wasnt even an option to buy the kashima for the LTc, only for the LTa

but they change the weight info from frame + shock often in the last few days.
    old TBa was 7.16lbs, yesterday 6.5lbs with new CTD shock and not its 7.06lbs also with new CTD.

mtbr member
    And THE END of APP

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkey View Post

old TBa was 7.16lbs, yesterday 6.5lbs with new CTD shock and not its 7.06lbs also with new CTD.
    Nice to know the new shock is 300 grams lighter!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post

Santa Cruz Bicycles
    Wow. Now I might have to get a LTc custom built. UGH.

Also of note: They're updating the builder

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I posted this in the tallboy LT owners thread but maybe there will be some insight here as well,

These updates have me confused. I ordered an LT about a week ago with the R AM kit. A couple days later I noticed this kit has been updated to included a Sektor rather than the Revelation RL. My bike hasn't shipped yet, but do you guys think I will receive the build that I THOUGHT I was purchasing (w/ the revelation) rather than the new updated package? Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cm374 View Post
    I posted this in the tallboy LT owners thread but maybe there will be some insight here as well,

These updates have me confused. I ordered an LT about a week ago with the R AM kit. A couple days later I noticed this kit has been updated to included a Sektor rather than the Revelation RL. My bike hasn't shipped yet, but do you guys think I will receive the build that I THOUGHT I was purchasing (w/ the revelation) rather than the new updated package? Thanks
    Well according to another poster there is no such thing as a Sektor 29 fork, he thinks that's a typo... I would call your LBS or even reach out to Santa Cruz directly. If you ordered through an online dealer my expectation is that it would be the "old" package but supposedly those that ordered through a LBS are getting the "new" one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
    Well according to another poster there is no such thing as a Sektor 29 fork, he thinks that's a typo... I would call your LBS or even reach out to Santa Cruz directly. If you ordered through an online dealer my expectation is that it would be the "old" package but supposedly those that ordered through a LBS are getting the "new" one.
    Ya I saw him post that and appreciated the insight, I just didn't know if they had some sort of OEM type deal going on with them or what. It's through an LBS straight from santa cruz.

b a n n e d
    The $200 upcharge for a Kashima shock is a bunch of crap.

The Evolution CTD (w/o Kashima) is $310 at Jenson. The CTD WITH Kashima is only $65 more . . . . yet SC wants to charge more than 3x that???

Maybe I'm missing something, but that's some serious B.S. if you ask me.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    The $200 upcharge for a Kashima shock is a bunch of crap.

The Evolution CTD (w/o Kashima) is $310 at Jenson. The CTD WITH Kashima is only $65 more . . . . yet SC wants to charge more than 3x that???

Maybe I'm missing something, but that's some serious B.S. if you ask me.
    Guess you could order the frame only? But then you're at more than if you paid for the OEM upgrade.

From Santa Cruz:
    2698 (for Frame) + 205 (upgrade) = 2903.00

Frame Only, order shock:
    2698 (for Frame) + 375 (upgrade) = 3073.00

I actually see a discount?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cm374 View Post
    I ordered an LT about a week ago with the R AM kit. A couple days later I noticed this kit has been updated to included a Sektor rather than the Revelation RL. My bike hasn't shipped yet, but do you guys think I will receive the build that I THOUGHT I was purchasing (w/ the revelation) rather than the new updated package? Thanks
    I called my LBS and this is what I was told (I ordered an "old" kit about 10 days ago):

I may be getting a CTD fork and/or shock based an availability. Fine print is that SC can substitute parts of equal or better quality depending on stock. Fair enough. I'm honestly indifferent about it - it appears CTD is as much frothy marketing basically the same thing, and the dumbed down settings may or may not be better.

007 - agree on the shock. It possible though that the site isn't sporting full copy yet - the $200 upcharge could also include some other upgrade ala boost valve...

The only thing I know for sure is that I will NOT be paying the new higher price...

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Equal or better is fine with me, just don't want to get less than what I paid for with the price increases and the introduction of a lower spec model. I'll have to wait until I hear back from SC, thanks guys

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    For me it's pretty simple - I'll be getting the build kit I bought at the price I/LBS/SC agreed to. I'm not worried about whatever equal/better parts I get (or don't), I trust SC's judgement on this.

I wouldn't worry about it - I'm very sure that SC will do the right thing by you, no one is going to try and walk you down a build kit :-)

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by chris.george View Post
    Guess you could order the frame only? But then you're at more than if you paid for the OEM upgrade.

From Santa Cruz:
    2698 (for Frame) + 205 (upgrade) = 2903.00

Frame Only, order shock:
    2698 (for Frame) + 375 (upgrade) = 3073.00

I actually see a discount?
    Don't forget that the 2698 includes a shock. You cannot order a frame from SC without any shock (and if you could, apparently its the better deal), so if you bought the "upgrade" separately for the $375, yes you'd spend $3073, but you'd have two brand new rear shocks, one of which could easily be sold for a couple hundred bucks, bringing the price below what SC is charging.

The bottom line is that SC is charging (at least insofar as I can tell right now) $200 for an option that should cost well under $100 according to other retailers. Case in point with Jenson, they are upcharging only $65 for the Kashima option . . . and you know they have a profit margin on the shock too.

I really hope that there's more to it than that, or that its a typo, or work in progress, but SC should chime in on this because in my opinion, this represents a questionable business practice.

I know that "what's another $200 when you're already spending $3k" . . . its not the dollar amount per se, but its what I'm getting for my money. I have no problem paying that additional amount if I'm getting a good value, but I'm not about to pay $200 for something that other folks are charging a third of that for.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Don't forget that the 2698 includes a shock. You cannot order a frame from SC without any shock (and if you could, apparently its the better deal), so if you bought the "upgrade" separately for the $375, yes you'd spend $3073, but you'd have two brand new rear shocks, one of which could easily be sold for a couple hundred bucks, bringing the price below what SC is charging.

The bottom line is that SC is charging (at least insofar as I can tell right now) $200 for an option that should cost well under $100 according to other retailers. Case in point with Jenson, they are upcharging only $65 for the Kashima option . . . and you know they have a profit margin on the shock too.

I really hope that there's more to it than that, or that its a typo, or work in progress, but SC should chime in on this because in my opinion, this represents a questionable business practice.

I know that "what's another $200 when you're already spending $3k" . . . its not the dollar amount per se, but its what I'm getting for my money. I have no problem paying that additional amount if I'm getting a good value, but I'm not about to pay $200 for something that other folks are charging a third of that for.
    I would either call Santa Cruz directly or go through your LBS, there is no reason to think they are trying to rip customers off. My suspicion is this is a misunderstanding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Makes some sense, but then again, neither does not selling just a frame. Or am I a little crazy? I mean I get both sides but including the shock in that price? Or they're severely undercharging for the first shock (possible) and overpricing their frames?

Totally fair assessment. I'd be curious to see what Santa Cruz has to say!

Totally agree, it's not so much the "extra $200 on top of $3000" but my options and the "Luxury Tax"

I'm guessing Jarlaxle might be right, which is kind of why I couldn't make the math work logically. I wonder if they'd even give a reply?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
    I would either call Santa Cruz directly or go through your LBS, there is no reason to think they are trying to rip customers off. My suspicion is this is a misunderstanding.