mtbr member
    Aug 2005

New Santa Cruz SOLO trail bike

Just saw this on the SCB website - new SOLO trail bike... specs read like a 650b version of the TRc - 125/130mm travel rear/front - 13.1" BB height - 68deg head angle...

mtbr member
    i like the Solo video a lot..!!
    ~ Wish you all ride happy and safe..!! ~

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    judging by the pics. it doesn't look like it has anymore rear tire clearance than a trc conversion?

mtbr member

New Santa Cruz SOLO trail bike

CS are .3 in. longer and the ST is curved.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Are the ENVE wheels worth the splurge? I am 5.10 should I get the Medium or Large frame? Between Bronson and Solo for long steep technical (roots and rocks) hills and switbacks? I am thinking also on going Talas 110-140 over the Float to tackle those hard steep climbs at 110 and then 140 for the DH...any thoughts appreciated

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I have a TRc- I have my fork set at 140 and really have no issues with steep climbs. On longer climbs I may lock out the fork - but mostly just leave it open with a mild amount of compression damping.

I think you really don't need the Talas.

Enve wheels... I think that's a personal call. Stans ArchEX rims on DT Hubs make a nice light and strong wheelset... or Stans FlowEX, MAYBE, if you are going to ride harder - but I think these are overkill for the Solo.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by EGREGOR View Post
    Are the ENVE wheels worth the splurge? I am 5.10 should I get the Medium or Large frame? Between Bronson and Solo for long steep technical (roots and rocks) hills and switbacks? I am thinking also on going Talas 110-140 over the Float to tackle those hard steep climbs at 110 and then 140 for the DH...any thoughts appreciated
    Given the cost, whether the Enve wheels are "worth it" is a personal thing. To me the answer is yes, definitely worth it. The increased stiffness is pretty incredible, and it's a bigger difference with larger hoops. I've got the enve AM's set up with tubeless HR II's on my bronson and it's a super sweet setup.

Solo v. bronson is a tough call. If you are talking about more open, rough, and fast trails, including descents you will hit at Mach 12, the extra travel and stability of the bronson should get the nod. If your trails are tighter and slower, go solo.

Unlike others here, I am a big fan of travel adjust forks for exactly the reason you mentioned. If you are thinking TALAS, be aware that there is a newer hydraulic system that they are saying solves some of the issues with the prior system. I don't know if those are shipping yet and haven't tried one, just wanted to mention it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Just to clarify - I have nothing against travel adjustable forks... depends on the bike and the amount of travel.

On my Nomad, I have a Talas... I can't speak for the Bronson, but likely any bike using a 160mm+ fork will benefit from a travel adjustable fork for the climbs

I was speaking specifically for the TRc/Solo with a 140mm fork - I don't think your NEED such a fork in this case.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Anyone know when the Solo "Bike Builder" section of SC's website goes live? I want to see weights before parting with the bucks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EGREGOR View Post
    Im the same height as you & went with the medium Solo with a 70mm stem. Plenty of room. Absolutely sure this is the right size for me. I have a large Heckler with a 50mm stem which I always thought was well long enough & the medium Solo with a 70mm stem gives me an almost identical reach. Just make sure they fit a 420mm stealth Reverb, the 390mm was just a smidgen too short to get the correct 100mm minimum insertion for my legs (33" inseam) Ive just kept the Float at 130mm, gives me plenty of stability descending without sacrificing any climbing ability at all.

The Solo is an incredible trail bike,XX1 & Enve hoops are totally worth the upgrade.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks for the info, I haven't looked at the SC website in a long time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ndcarter79 View Post

The Solo is an incredible trail bike,XX1 & Enve hoops are totally worth the upgrade.
    Have you weighed it? I'm wondering what the weight of the XX1 w/ Enve build is.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I just got my Solo with the Enve XX1 kit about 2 weeks ago. It is an XL frame and came in right at 26 pounds with tubeless High Roller 2's and a 28 toothe front chain ring. I was very happy with this considering the big frame, dropper post and heavy tires. The bike is better than I had expected. It is amazing compared to my Blur LTcarbon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
    Have you weighed it? I'm wondering what the weight of the XX1 w/ Enve build is.
    Mine also weighed 26lbs, but mine is a medium. Might be extra sealant in the tires or something
    'She's built like a steakhouse, but she handles like a bistro'

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cgodbout View Post
    I just got my Solo with the Enve XX1 kit about 2 weeks ago. It is an XL frame and came in right at 26 pounds with tubeless High Roller 2's and a 28 toothe front chain ring. I was very happy with this considering the big frame, dropper post and heavy tires. The bike is better than I had expected. It is amazing compared to my Blur LTcarbon.
    When you get a chance can you confirm the measurement of the High Roller 2 Tire diameter and /or height from ground to center of axle? Also the bottom bracket height. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiendbear View Post
    Anyone know when the Solo "Bike Builder" section of SC's website goes live? I want to see weights before parting with the bucks.
    Santa Cruz Bicycles SOLO CARBON
    here we go again