• 01-31-2013
    dustman
    New Santa Cruz Bronson Bike?
    I just opened the newest Dirt Rag Magazine and on the second or third page it has a new Santa Cruz ad. "And now for something completely different" "April 1st 2013." Does anyone know what this is referring to? i have an order in for a TBLTc, but if something new is coming out... Maybe a 650b?
  • 01-31-2013
    Wiigidy Wack
    I just came here looking for answers to the same question! I guess if we knew then all the suspense leading up to April would be lost.
  • 01-31-2013
    Simpledesign
    re: New Santa Cruz Bronson Bike?
    Yeah I just paid for a TBLTa....oh well can't ever truly hope to keep up

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2
  • 02-01-2013
    Vrock
    April Fools'........ I really don't know what to expect that day.
  • 02-01-2013
    eleven-yo
  • 02-01-2013
    Salespunk
    650b BLT or Nomad would be my guess
  • 02-01-2013
    jabrabu
    The ad says something completely different, so maybe a 'cross bike, or a beach cruiser. :-)

I wonder if the bike pictured in the ad is the actual bike they are talking about.
  • 02-01-2013
    markymark
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eleven-yo View Post

Yeah, it was announced on april 1, and all the fools who ordered it straight away were told it would be out in a few weeks. Mine took 3 1/2 months to arrive, which is unforgivable. This new one is a 650b blur. Probably be out in the shops by July...
  • 02-01-2013
    eleven-yo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by markymark View Post
    Yeah, it was announced on april 1, and all the fools who ordered it straight away were told it would be out in a few weeks. Mine took 3 1/2 months to arrive, which is unforgivable. This new one is a 650b blur. Probably be out in the shops by July...

life sounds really hard for you
  • 02-01-2013
    TheNormsk
    New Santa Cruz Bike?
    A 650b blur?

Subscribed.
  • 02-01-2013
    Crash-VR
    If its a 27.5 Nomadc I'm in.... That is the bike I'm waiting for. Or the Pivot equivalent...
    The race (wait) is on!
  • 02-01-2013
    markymark
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eleven-yo View Post
    life sounds really hard for you

it is

:cool:

• 02-01-2013
    pachaven
    I'll take one of those also!
  • 02-01-2013
    Fiendbear
    650b carbon trail bike with the new Fox 140mm 650b (3.3lb) fork. Under 25lbs in XTR trim.
  • 02-02-2013
    ColinL
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiendbear View Post
    650b carbon trail bike with the new Fox 140mm 650b (3.3lb) fork. Under 25lbs in XTR trim.

:lol: I liked the part up to XTR.
  • 02-02-2013
    Znarf
    650b doesn't get my attention. For me it's about big wheelers from now on ;-)
    But I am tall and have spindly long legs.

Nomad 29 - that I'd order in a heartbeat.
  • 02-02-2013
    gfs69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Znarf View Post

Hey, I resemble that remark! Totally agree. I guess I would like to try riding a 650b at some point, but it would have to be quite amazing to get me off of a 29er at this point. I have forced myself to try and never say never though.
  • 02-02-2013
    Crash-VR
    Quote:

Nomad 29 - that I'd order in a heartbeat.

It's called a Tallboy ltc ;)
  • 02-02-2013
    Gripo
    New Santa Cruz Bike?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by markymark View Post

Pretty much ALL true....even delivery date...
  • 02-02-2013
    Znarf
    Yeah, the Tallboy LTC is pretty much what I am drooling over. A bit more wouldnt be too much though.

Enduro 29 stuff, for the to be announced Rock Shox 160mm 29er fork!

Greetings Znarf
  • 02-02-2013
    sooner518
    gotta be 650b carbon Blur.
  • 02-02-2013
    Surfas
    1 Attachment(s)
    I already had Nomad C, BLTc and Tallboy LTC to test (I ride a BLT alu) and I don't think that Santa Cruz need a 650 bike, the Tallboy and LT are fantastic bikes that almost ride in tech narrow trails like the 26" wheels, so for what a 650, it's only markting.

But let see what are coming, the ad

Attachment 767450
  • 02-02-2013
    vikb
    I'd guess 650B 5"or 6" travel bike. I'm keen on a 650B Nomad so I'd love to see that.
  • 02-02-2013
    rox
    Im hoping for something built around the 160 34 fork. I think thats really the sweet spot for this wheel size. something like the intense carbine 275. I wonder if it will be badged as a blur or nomad though

you cant really have a nomad type 29er as the wheelbase would be huge making the bike too slow. 130-140mm seems about the upper limit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiendbear View Post

• 02-02-2013
    expatrider
    "something completely different"? Then it will probably be a bike with 26" wheels . . . Nobody is making them any more are they?
  • 02-02-2013
    iheartbicycles
    Quote:

Originally Posted by expatrider View Post
    "something completely different"? Then it will probably be a bike with 26" wheels . . . Nobody is making them any more are they?

I know of two new SC's coming out, and I wouldn't consider either one "completely different."
  • 02-02-2013
    Znarf
    Is one of them a 29er?

Id love to know!
  • 02-02-2013
    iheartbicycles
    Quote:

Is one of them a 29er?

Id love to know!

nope
  • 02-02-2013
    Surfas
    650??????
  • 02-02-2013
    vikb
    Quote:

If the ad said "Something unexpected!" I'd be with you on the 26er. I'd be surprised if bike companies bother making 26ers, 650B and 29er. Something has to give and it's probably going to be the 26er.
  • 02-02-2013
    TheNormsk
    New Santa Cruz Bike?
    I really wanted a 650b enduro bike but they just weren't ready in time so I got the Tallboy LTc. I don't regret my decision as the LTc is an awesome bike. Still I would love to try out a 160mm travel 650b Santa Cruz.

:)
  • 02-02-2013
    cattivik
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    I know of two new SC's coming out, and I wouldn't consider either one "completely different."

Tell us more, please :-)
  • 02-02-2013
    Simpledesign
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cattivik View Post
    Tell us more, please :-)

Indeed

• 02-02-2013
    ATXZJ
    Blur XC 650

*fingers crossed*
  • 02-02-2013
    rox
    xc is for 29ers
  • 02-02-2013
    oakhills
    Iheartbikes is refering to the new 36er wheel size. Perfect for pump tracks!

650b size is more likely, or a 180 nomad.
  • 02-02-2013
    ATXZJ
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rox View Post
    xc is for 29ers

Consensus seems to be 50/50 on that. Blur XC geo/weight made for 650 wheels would bring teh sexy.
  • 02-02-2013
    bog
    Aluminum V10?

Although completely different from SC could be 650b or even a fatbike.
  • 02-02-2013
    Fiendbear
    The market has been screaming for a real 650b bike from Santa Cruz. So many folks are modifying their Blur TRc's and XCc's with 650b wheels and loving the result. Look at the advertisement again. Doesn't look like DH or AM terrain to me.

SC has reached its limits with 29ers, and the 26er line up covers the gamut from racing to DH. This is a 650b bike for sure, perhaps with two distinct offerings - one with the lightweight F140 to satisfy the TRc modifying crowd, and a burlier bike based on the heavier F160 to compete with the existing 650b bikes such as the Carbine.

Either way, SC doesn't churn out any turds. Expect these babies to just kill...
  • 02-02-2013
    MVRIDER
    It'll be a bike with a new suspension design known as APP. The frame will be available in either 150 or 160mm travel.
  • 02-03-2013
    cattivik
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mvrider View Post
    it'll be a bike with a new suspension design known as app. The frame will be available in either 150 or 160mm travel.

rotfl
  • 02-03-2013
    dirtbiker
    My guess is a 650 as well. IMHO they have all but perfected the 29er so no need to go that route, their 26 line up is spot on in almost all riding situations that are present so it has to be a 650.
  • 02-03-2013
    Bigrocks
    Heckler 650B..the bike only bike I'd want without 26 in. wheels
  • 02-03-2013
    hillharman
    I'd like to see a Blur LTc with revised geometry and 27.5 wheels.
  • 02-03-2013
    eclipse24
    Quote:

*LOL* To funny!!
  • 02-03-2013
    wncunderground
    Tallboy Trail
    68 deg ha
    iscg 05 mounts
    stealth dropper routing
    shorten the stays and go single ring only
    bump up travel slightly
  • 02-03-2013
    Znarf
    Know what,
    I'd buy that Tallboy TRc in a heartbeat!!!
  • 02-03-2013
    Simpledesign
    I'm thinking roadbike or hybrid...that's something different for them

• 02-03-2013
    coiler-d
    Carbon Fiber 650b Coaster Brake Klunker
  • 02-03-2013
    Gripo
    New Santa Cruz Bike?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wncunderground View Post
    Tallboy Trail
    68 deg ha
    iscg 05 mounts
    stealth dropper routing
    shorten the stays and go single ring only
    bump up travel slightly

You could have that now, other than the stealth dropper routing, CS length isn'7 a prob.....

You just need to "short shock" the TBLT....like we did to the Blur LT to get a 4X/TR type bike a few years ago...

C'mon someone do it for me...
  • 02-04-2013
    kootenaytallboy
    I'm hoping Santa Cruz makes this into an enduro ripper, and one that comes in a proper XXL for us bigger folk! A large enduro has a reach that is 1.2" longer than my XL Nomad C. Time to update sizes so that we can run longer top tubes and shorter stems SC!
  • 02-04-2013
    jpaulusma
    V10 alu or new vpfree/bullit would be cool (and about time)
  • 02-04-2013
    jpaulusma
    He is wearing a full face helmet
  • 02-04-2013
    Dogboy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jpaulusma View Post
    He is wearing a full face helmet

Yep. Plus the Enduro World Series logo at the lower right. A new Nomad I would guess. I would also guess 27.5 or 26 for the wheels. Can't wait to see what it is.
  • 02-04-2013
    Tjay
    Hoping for the revised Nickel with 13.1 BB and lighter weight, at least under 6 lbs. Same geo, same price.

Or

Update the superlight with APP and Nickel/TR's Geo...

Hurry up with it too SC, because I'm itching to buy TRC soon to relace my Stumpy carbon Evo.
  • 02-04-2013
    Silly Man
    A V10 29er... That would be completely different. A lot of company making 650b so my guess would be big wheels AND big travel...
  • 02-04-2013
    BT180
    I'm jumping on the TRc 650b bandwagon...
  • 02-05-2013
    softailteamrider
    I hope it's a 27.5.. whatever the travel
  • 02-05-2013
    tp806
    I kinda seriously doubt it would be a (new) Nomad Mk3, even in aluminum, since the 2013 Nomad C, is already available and unchanged from the previous MY2012, apart from the 142x12 rear axle.
    Unless they introduce a brand new aluminum design for the Mk3 Nomad (similar to how Spesh changed the Enduro design in 2010, with the X cross section in the frame, I think).
    Looking forward to April 1st, nonetheless...
  • 02-05-2013
    bog
    This would be fantastic. My XL Nomad is far too short in reach for a modern bike. Not hat I don't love it but I need to run a longer stem than I'd like.
  • 02-05-2013
    jabrabu
    They just need to make a rear triangle with replaceable dropouts for the TRc, so you can build it with either 26 or 27.5 wheels (and fit big 27.5 tires with full travel) -- like Intense does. Same for the Nomad.
  • 02-05-2013
    portnoy
    @eleven-yo, I'm still laughing. No offense to Marky, but your post was hilarious and definitely puts into perspective what is, and what is not, inexcusable. I'm sorry, but having to wait for a frame isn't on the inexcusable list. And if it is, some perspective is in order. For a list of what is inexcusable, try a cancer board, or maybe one around recovery-- lots of inexcusable there. Not so much here.
  • 02-05-2013
    Grizzy
    Here's what I see
    29 r wheel
    Flattish bars
    Full face

My guess - 29 nomad. Maybe 29DH but my gut says 29 nomad. It also says Faaaarrrrttt!
  • 02-06-2013
    Surfas
    I'm guessing, something for Enduro (it has the Enduro World Series simbol) so something BLT/Nomad, but 29"?? almost anybody are using 29" on Enduro, at least here in Europe, 650??? well the guys from Cube are using the new model, but 95% preferring the 26".
  • 02-06-2013
    Znarf
    I also think that the Wheel Looks kind of tall.
    I wish it was a 29er Nomad.

Rock Shox is coming out with a 160mm 29er fork, as I am told by rumor.
  • 02-06-2013
    crackerjack69
    a 29er with 150-160 mm travel would be sick. nomad 29 would be perfect but I honestly do not think they will be doing it. moreover, I more think it will be a 27,5 which I honestly would not buy cause 29 is the right choice for trail. i tried the scott 27,5 trail bike and I could not see any difference between 26 and 27,5 . it was quite the same.
  • 02-06-2013
    vikb
    Quote:

Originally Posted by crackerjack69 View Post
    i tried the scott 27,5 trail bike and I could not see any difference between 26 and 27,5 . it was quite the same.

I suppose it just depends what trails you ride. I went from an average 2.35" tire [Nevegal] to a bigger than advertized 2.4" tire on my Nomad [Conti Trail King] and the difference is amazing on my rooty/rocky trails. The 2.4" rolls over roots and rocks without getting hung up and my pedal strikes are significantly reduced. I think 650B will be perfect for our trails.

I've also got a 29er hardtail and would rather get a 27.5/650B FS 6" travel bike - call it a Nomad or call it something else. I'm not sold on 29" wheels for a 6"+ travel FS bike.

If I lived somewhere buff I probably wouldn't notice a difference or care about 27.5/650B bikes.
  • 02-06-2013
    Bone Saw
    Quote:

Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I suppose it just depends what trails you ride. I went from an average 2.35" tire [Nevegal] to a bigger than advertized 2.4" tire on my Nomad [Conti Trail King] and the difference is amazing on my rooty/rocky trails. The 2.4" rolls over roots and rocks without getting hung up and my pedal strikes are significantly reduced. I think 650B will be perfect for our trails.

I've also got a 29er hardtail and would rather get a 27.5/650B FS 6" travel bike - call it a Nomad or call it something else. I'm not sold on 29" wheels for a 6"+ travel FS bike.

If I lived somewhere buff I probably wouldn't notice a difference or care about 27.5/650B bikes.

I agree. Long travel 29s always end up having funky frame geometry due to the large wheel size and trying to make enough room for wheel travel. I think anyhting over 4" travel should be 27.5 or 26. They just plain ride better overall. Granted, a 29 wheel will always roll over things better, but there is definitely a point of diminishing returns as the travel increases. We may well see 27.5 becoming the standard within a few years for longer travel bikes. Bike manufactures have jumped on the bandwagon of larger hoops, but they just don't work in some cases. Personally I just don't like the oveall ride of a 29 bike on any frame, but that's just my opinion. 650B for me!
  • 02-06-2013
    LowLow
    Maybe they're going to introduce a line of components -- drivetrains or wheels or something. It seems like "completely different" should mean more than just a new 650b or 29er, but that could just be marketing of course.
  • 02-06-2013
    dansMTB
    More spy shots
    Fresh info here, check out these spy shots:thumbsup:

• 02-06-2013
    Bone Saw
    SWEEEET!! I want one! I just wonder how soon it will show up on their website.
  • 02-06-2013
    LncNuvue
    Santa Cruz has me interested - been looking at the Nomad C or TBLTC. This announcement might change things a little. Intrigued so might as well jump in with some e-speculation. 150mm travel, 650b, low, slack, blah, blah, blah.
  • 02-06-2013
    ColinL
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bone Saw View Post
    SWEEEET!! I want one! I just wonder how soon it will show up on their website.

"Taking Pre-Orders Now for the Santa Cruz ********, a Revolutionary Dual-Fork Downhill Race bike!"

:lol:
  • 02-06-2013
    Bone Saw
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    "Taking Pre-Orders Now for the Santa Cruz ********, a Revolutionary Dual-Fork Downhill Race bike!"

:lol:

I just heard from high up sources at Santa Cruz that they are going to have a naming contest for this bike. I'm submitting "Frankenbike", any others??
  • 02-06-2013
    weekdaywarrior
    I am thinking its not a bike but what is on the bike... A new line of clothing for enduro riders maybe.. I know one bicycle brand that has gone down this route..
  • 02-06-2013
    Quake
    Look at the ad carefully, clearly there is only one 29" wheel visible-that only leaves a 29er trail unicycle. I say it's about time!
  • 02-07-2013
    munkyboy
    Exchangeable rear ends/ links. 26/650b any way you please.

That would be smart thinking?
  • 02-07-2013
    Stiga
    Easier to think through what its not: V10 just got update - TRc just got Alu version - Tallboy & TBLT arent too old yet - APP just got discontinued + I dont think they would advertize those this way - Hecker and Superlights are not to be changed, why else they remain pretty much as is through time.

This leaves their Blur XC, Blur LT and Nomad. Looking at picture, guy shredding, its propably not XC bike purely.

My money is for either new platform (gap between Nomad and V10 would be filled), BLT or Nomad update. If its completely different - don't know as Santa Cruz is not jumping to new fashion things too quickly. Could be they 650B both BLT and Nomad ...
  • 02-07-2013
    Dispatch
    Am I the only one who wants to see a new driver 8?! I know from the picture that would be my last guess, but a man can dream can't he?
  • 02-08-2013
    tp806
    Stiga, BLT and BLTc also got updated for 2013 with 142x12 and ISCG05 tabs that were missing on both. So I would take these out of the equation.
    It could be a new Nomad Mk3 in alu, only for 2013.
    Also, you are right in your reasoning about a new freeride platform either 26" or 650b to fill in the gap between Nomad Mk2 and V10, (there hasn't been a real freeride bike in their line since the Bullit; the Driver 8 was just a shorter (cheaper for privateers) travel V10, that could be used with a single crown fork, though it's doubtful if it was used by the majority in this configuration).
  • 02-08-2013
    mehukatti
    I would guess that the new bike is focused for enduro/AM, maybe redesigned Blur LT(c). I mean they announced a while back, that they are sponsoring the 2013 Enduro World Series and are going to have team riders participating. It would make sense that they would release a new bike to go with it. I really doubt that they would release a freeride bike. I mean, Driver8 really didn't sell too well if I recall correctly, you can use V10c in 8" mode instead, and the whole "freeride" category is pretty much dead, or rather a blast from the past. I kind of doubt that the new bike would have 27.5" wheels either, because they are quite conservative into adopting new things. But maybe 29" tought them a lesson, I think they were a bit late into that game?

Part of me wishes that they would release NomadC Mk3, but on the other hand that would burn a hole into my wallet. :)
  • 02-08-2013
    bichu du matu
    My guess: reborn of the Bullit (with 170/180mm rear travel). I see in that pic the front triangle of the discontinued Bullit, i can dream too!
  • 02-08-2013
    Patticake
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 769807

If this is the same bike then 650b Blur is my bet.
  • 02-08-2013
    BXCc
    That there is last years black with green TR frame.
  • 02-08-2013
    Gripo
    New Santa Cruz Bike?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Patticake View Post
    Attachment 769807

If this is the same bike then 650b Blur is my bet.

Yeah that's a Blur LT650 for sure.....
  • 02-08-2013
    expatrider
    Doubt it is same bike, although that is definitely a TRc. Certainly not same location. I think this is just an ad by the event organisers, whereas the other one is an ad by SC.

I have spent way too much time thinking about that SC ad and what that "something completely different" might be. Even a 650B bike is not going to be that - even though that makes sense. Maybe a 650B with new suspension - VPP3??. This would be nice, and would make some sense given all the complaints about VPP2 on the Nomad.
  • 02-08-2013
    kootenaytallboy
    That's a friend of mine on her TRc
  • 02-08-2013
    NoahColorado
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gripo View Post
    Yeah that's a Blur LT650 for sure.....

Thats a TRC, you can see the green stripes by the headtube.
  • 02-08-2013
    dirtdan
    Santa Cruz engineer Joe Grainey doesn't seem like he would be going with 650B: How to Break Into the Cycling Industry – Santa Cruz Bikes Engineer Joe Graney - Bike Rumor

"You know what I could really f–kin’ do without? 650B. What a pain in the ass that’s going to be."

• 02-08-2013
    Gripo
    New Santa Cruz Bike?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtdan View Post
    Santa Cruz engineer Joe Grainey doesn't seem like he would be going with 650B: How to Break Into the Cycling Industry – Santa Cruz Bikes Engineer Joe Graney - Bike Rumor

"You know what I could really f–kin’ do without? 650B. What a pain in the ass that’s going to be."

Nah SC double speak right there....
  • 02-08-2013
    ColinL
    Folks, 650B/27.5 is utterly stupid. Why would you want new wheels, new fork, new frame for a tire & wheel 5% bigger diameter than a 26" of the same width? Why would you go from a massive variety in forks, frames, wheels and tires to having at best 10% of that availability?

But all that is not going to stop a lot of people from trying to capitalize on it. The world went 29er crazy the past 2-3 years, and some manufacturers just see dollar signs for 650B. Dollars that may or may not be there.

I'm with Joe Grainey. And Brian Lopes. And a lot of other smart folks.
  • 02-08-2013
    jazzanova
    Quote:

Folks, 650B/27.5 is utterly stupid. Why would you want new wheels, new fork, new frame for a tire & wheel 5% bigger diameter than a 26" of the same width? Why would you go from a massive variety in forks, frames, wheels and tires to having at best 10% of that availability?

But all that is not going to stop a lot of people from trying to capitalize on it. The world went 29er crazy the past 2-3 years, and some manufacturers just see dollar signs for 650B. Dollars that may or may not be there.

I'm with Joe Grainey. And Brian Lopes. And a lot of other smart folks.

Let me ask you. Have you ever ridden a 650b bike, or a 29er?
    I have a XC 29er and a TRc with both 26" and 650b wheels.
    All of them are legit and the differences are there.
    650b was initially pushed by the enthusiast riders, not by the industry.
    Stay alert, you might not have noticed yet, but the 650b revolution is already here.
    My prediction is that it will become mainstream in 1-2 years.
    LBS have problems selling 26er bikes, the market was taken over by 29er.
    The era of 650b has just begun :)
  • 02-08-2013
    jazzanova

Exactly. They are good in it even without Ferrentino :)
  • 02-08-2013
    dirtdan
    If they make a 650B FS carbon fiber frame in a size small, my fiance could possibly be the first one to own one. :)
  • 02-09-2013
    vikb
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Let me ask you. Have you ever ridden a 650b bike, or a 29er?
    I have a XC 29er and a TRc with both 26" and 650b wheels.
    All of them are legit and the differences are there.
    650b was initially pushed by the enthusiast riders, not by the industry.
    Stay alert, you might not have noticed yet, but the 650b revolution is already here.
    My prediction is that it will become mainstream in 1-2 years.
    LBS have problems selling 26er bikes, the market was taken over by 29er.
    The era of 650b has just begun :)

+1 - people said 29ers were a gimmick as well until they became a proven quantity. 650B will do great for the longer travel FS market. The question is will the market for 26ers be strong enough to support two wheel sizes in a lot of models or are 26" wheels going to be dropped for the most part?

I was a skeptic about 29ers and 650B in the past. Then I experimented with wheel size changes and was shocked at the result. At least for where I ride... :thumbsup:
  • 02-10-2013
    ColinL
    Yes, I have ridden 29ers. I could not perceive any advantage in rolling ability. I could perceive a disadvantage in weight and agility. I'm not alone here.

For 650B, I would bet that if you took some 26" and some 650B, stripped off decals and painted over the tires, and disallowed test riders to inspect them closely, people would be unable to reliably detect which bikes were which. 5% diameter is hardly a factor.
  • 02-10-2013
    ColinL
    But, I'm done talking about it. I love bikes. Some people look for any reason, valid or not, to buy a new bike. And that's fine. :thumbsup:
  • 02-10-2013
    dirtdan
    Quote:

Yes, I have ridden 29ers. I could not perceive any advantage in rolling ability. I could perceive a disadvantage in weight and agility. I'm not alone here.

For 650B, I would bet that if you took some 26" and some 650B, stripped off decals and painted over the tires, and disallowed test riders to inspect them closely, people would be unable to reliably detect which bikes were which. 5% diameter is hardly a factor.

Why do you disagree with physics so much?
  • 02-10-2013
    mtnbikej
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gripo View Post

Agree.....they kept telling us for years that they wouldn't get into the 29er market as well......and look how bad of an investment that was.
  • 02-10-2013
    vikb
    Quote:

Last fall I put some fresh winter rubber on my Nomad. Went out for a ride on the new tires and was pretty shocked at how crappy my ride was. I couldn't clean tech sections I normally rocked and had tons of pedal strikes. I kept getting hung up on rocky/rooty zones I typically had no issue with, I was surprised because I expected the fresh rubber to have lots of traction and ride better than my worn older tires.

I went into this assuming the new setup would be a big improvement.

So then I went back to my old tires and every techy part of the trail was better. Hmm. The new tires had better traction, but the old tires were bigger. You can see the difference in these pics ~20mm overall diameter.

Then I lent my bigger tires to my GF who is not a big spender when it comes to bike parts and just rides her bike until something stops working. She liked them so much she spent $150 for new tires.

I went into this "experiment" biased against the bigger rubber because it was worn and I figured a slightly smaller wheel [~3% difference] wouldn't be noticeable. I came out totally appreciating that extra 20mm.

The only downside to all this was a year ago when I put the bigger tires on my riding got noticeably better. At the time I just assumed it was because I was getting more awesome... :thumbsup: Now I realized it was the bigger wheels...:skep::eekster: