Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New Santa Cruz Bronson Bike?

167K views 915 replies 224 participants last post by  bachmayeah 
#1 ·
I just opened the newest Dirt Rag Magazine and on the second or third page it has a new Santa Cruz ad. "And now for something completely different" "April 1st 2013." Does anyone know what this is referring to? i have an order in for a TBLTc, but if something new is coming out... Maybe a 650b?

#62 ·
@eleven-yo, I'm still laughing. No offense to Marky, but your post was hilarious and definitely puts into perspective what is, and what is not, inexcusable. I'm sorry, but having to wait for a frame isn't on the inexcusable list. And if it is, some perspective is in order. For a list of what is inexcusable, try a cancer board, or maybe one around recovery-- lots of inexcusable there. Not so much here.

#844 ·
I agree with OGRipper – the Bronson is light for what it is. It is lighter than the old Blur Ltc and it is lighter again against a Nomad. Both really good performers in their own right, and perhaps both now facing a little obsolescence. The Bronson will out pedal and out climb the Blur and Nomad. All with a lighter weight.

So really it is a win win that is all down to evolution of technology and carbon frame making experience from SC – they have learnt heaps and are making them tougher and lighter. Props to SC for pushing themselves and pushing their bikes development – it is why I like buying SC bikes. Exciting times ahead. I think you are going to be surprised at how good the Bronson is at pedalling, SC is pretty serious about how it performs.

But if you want more, wait and see what SC’s experience will deliver in smaller travel frames in the near future. Alas, I can’t wait.....

If you need less travel, no shame in riding world class bikes like the Tr and TB in the mean time....

#779 ·
Also 650b is great for people under 5'6" or so who don't fit on a 29er. There are others that dislike the wagon wheel feel of 29. I think for trail and am it will be very good. XC racing will still be 29 and dh/fr will be pretty split between 27.5 and 26.
I personally didn't want to be stuck with a 27.5 so I went with a TRc so I can run either 26 or 27.5. Just in case I don't like the 27.5 I am not out a bunch of money. Also I have a 6.5-7" travel bike so I don't need a overlapping bike.
+1 I have tried 29-er and can say that people less than 5'5" (like me) should steer clear from it. It just felt not quite right overall.
I was thinking hard if Bronson is a better overall bike than TRc. But your point on 26/27.5 interchangeability of TRc is interesting.
More, that TRc bb height is 13.1" with 26 wheel, and Bronson 13.6" with 27.5 so both are close on the geometry except of course chainstay, head angle (hence wheelbase) and stack -TRc is slighltly lower (better?). Unless you need a longer travel and bigger tire on the back, the TRc seems a perfect tweener bike.
I start to like more my TRc in 650b/27.5 guise.

#827 ·
Reason they did the 150mm was to compete directly with the Intense Carbine 27.5 and Tracer 275.
A smart move would've been to do a shorter travel 27.5 because there aren't really any out there. Maybe even a longer travel 7" bike because no one has one and that a 7" travel bike is missing from the SC line up.
I am also loving my 27.5 TRc, it fits my needs perfectly. I was wondering if I would regret not waiting for the Bronson but I have zero regrets.

#829 ·
Reason they did the 150mm was to compete directly with the Intense Carbine 27.5 and Tracer 275.
A smart move would've been to do a shorter travel 27.5 because there aren't really any out there.
I agree. AFAIK, there are zero 120mm travel XC race bikes; and only three 140mm bikes: the original Jamis, the Turner Burner, and the Norco Sight. Ventana Zeus adjustable 140-160. All of these are sold alloy frame only. Have heard rumors that Jamis and Norco will be selling a 140 mm in carbon next year; and that Scott will be seLling a Scale in 120mm

If Santa Cruz had come up with an XC bike, they would have been the only game in town. If the Bronson c had 140mm instead of 150mm, it would have trumped the Jamis, Norco and Turner in terms of weight, which is important to XC to Trail weight weenie crossover riders, like me.

I recently put my hard earned cash into a Tall Boy c, getting a good and proven XC bike now, rather than waiting for my "ideal" 650b to come along. I still have a 2010 Jamis 650B2and a HT conversion to play with. Ideal for me would be a carbon 5" 650b @ +/- 25 lbs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.