Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by RubberSideUp View Post
    I hear the bike will be called the Bronson. VPP 5.5" 650B.
    I suppose its possible, but I am doubtful on the name. It would infringe on WTBs tire, the Bronson, and given the relationship between SC and WTB, I doubt it . . . who knows though.

I have no question, however, that you are correct on the bike spec.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    I suppose its possible, but I am doubtful on the name. It would infringe on WTBs tire, the Bronson, and given the relationship between SC and WTB, I doubt it . . . who knows though.

I have no question, however, that you are correct on the bike spec.
    Bronson is the street in SC they are located on, so it seems plausible.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by xhailofgunfirex View Post
    Bronson is the street in SC they are located on, so it seems plausible.
    Maybe an in house code name, but as the man mentioned, Bronson is the name of a WTB tire, and it's not likely SC could get away with deciding to use the name for a bike.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    as speci announced for 2014 a 155 mm 29er enduro I would be pleased if santa would come also with a nomad 29er with about 150-155 mm rear travel cause who needs 27.5 - it is quite the same as 26... I tried out 4 different 27.5 and I honestly do not see much difference to a 26er. ....

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    Maybe an in house code name, but as the man mentioned, Bronson is the name of a WTB tire, and it's not likely SC could get away with deciding to use the name for a bike.
    tire: specialized butcher
    Bike: santa cruz butcher

nobody sued anybody.
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside, 650b converted

mtbr member
    May 2012

re: New Santa Cruz Bronson Bike?

Quote Originally Posted by dwyooaj View Post
    tire: specialized butcher
    Bike: santa cruz butcher

nobody sued anybody.
    That time.

mtbr member
    27.5 wheels
    150/155mm rear travel
    160mm front
    13.5 BB height
    67/67.5º head angle
    4.3" head tube
    29.5 standover

Design like Tallboy LT, but for 27.5 ....

mtbr member
    less than a month to know!

Lot of kms to ride!

And Enduro Races to blast!

mtbr member

Specialized Blows Past Santa Cruz

Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    this is just not possible unless you have a wheelbase like a dirtbike, including the massive swingarm. otherwise, everyone would have already done it. you will not see a 8" travel 29er ever.
    Specialized brings sexy 6" and suddenly my TBLT looks a little tired... 2 shy, it's ignorant to say we won't ever see 8. Pretty sure backlog on TBLT just ended and Spec selling machine just revving up.

Competition is great for us - SC took the conservative route (counter to their own statements against 650b) and will introduce a nice, but certainly not "completely different" 650b TR. Spec took risks and brings something newsworthy. I for one can't wait to ride the SW Enduro 29er.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I think that the Spec Enduro 29er lineup may also be a commercial flop. I mean it seems to me that 80-90% of 160mm people are not sold on 29er bikes. But I appreciate Specialized for the effort, clever design and taking the risk. I guess that after 2013 season we have a better understanding whether this category is leaning more to 27.5" or 29". It's kind of hard to see three different wheel sizes equally supported in single category, but who knows.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Santa Cruzing View Post
    Specialized brings sexy 6" and suddenly my TBLT looks a little tired... 2 shy, it's ignorant to say we won't ever see 8. Pretty sure backlog on TBLT just ended and Spec selling machine just revving up.

Competition is great for us - SC took the conservative route (counter to their own statements against 650b) and will introduce a nice, but certainly not "completely different" 650b TR. Spec took risks and brings something newsworthy. I for one can't wait to ride the SW Enduro 29er.
    Just out of curiosity, why do you think that your Tallboy looks tired? Because it has less travel?

I ride 26" bikes, but have demo'd the Tallboy, and I certainly didn't feel the need for more travel. 155mm of travel on a 29er seems like overkill to me and might make the bike less fun for most of the riding people do, though maybe not if what you'd want to do is hold on to the bike while plows through the downhills. And, despite what the marketing says, it's hard to believe that it'll be as nimble, etc. as a 26" bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    It is also a lot of marketing, if Speacialized and SC both announce excellent ~160mm 29" enduro's, many will follow and there will be hard battle between 27,5 and 29" on that class. Big strategic choice for companies on these days. And it is not only the wheel size but lenght of wheelbase does so much for handling, while at least SC does really well that. 27,5" blur / nomad would be probably safer bet, but after success of Tallboy LT and now spec enduro, maybe it is really 29" Nomad, something different.. Last year with my Blur LT, really interesting to see if they come up with something even better than Tallboy LT.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LowLow View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why do you think that your Tallboy looks tired? Because it has less travel?
    The "blow my mind" measurement is chainstay (17.9 TBLT vs. 16.9 Enduro). I'll make no assumptions it's right for me until I ride it, but I'm building up a Kona Taro because it's such a fun ride, in large part due to stays at 16.5. That Specialized got theirs so short on a bike with such long travel has me in tears (of joy).

Don't get me wrong - I love my TBLTc and the limit to bigger jumps and drops is entirely within me. I just expected a downhill oriented Co. like SC to lead in this area rather than the family bike Co. FF helmets off to Specialized. I think they're going to sell like mad, just like Tallboy and TBLT have been for 3 years now.

Learning to Fly
    Mar 2008
    I like that Specialized went for it on the 29 platform. And I think the Enduro 29 is going to to destroy it on the tracks. I don't think anyone can argue how fast big wheels like to roll, plus the super short stays and wheelbase that bike is gonna rip/plow.

But... I do wonder if that much travel plus that sized wheel is going to loose some of the fun that comes with a little less travel. I went from 160mm 26 to a 140mm 29 and I think part of the fun is the combined less travel with bigger wheels. I sold my Nomad with sorrow but without hesitation. I knew it just wouldn't get ride time.

Will be fun to see what SC has for us. A 150mm Enduro 29er would be sweet (in Alu and C to complement the 26 Nomad) but I have a feeling everybody is right about the 150mm 650B. I'm sure it will be a wicked fun bike too.

WTB and SC are good with each other. Bronson would be a great bike name.

Keep on Rockin...
    Hoping for a 275 Nomad even though I love the big hoops and a TB ltc is in my sights.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have to say a 29er nomad might be too much. My LTc is a monster truck and handles pretty much everything with ease. And there aren't many fork options more than 140 . . . . Yet.

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatass View Post
    I have to say a 29er nomad might be too much. My LTc is a monster truck and handles pretty much everything with ease. And there aren't many fork options more than 140 . . . . Yet.
    According to this, Rock Shox may have something in the pipeline:

New Prototype 29r Rockshox Fork and Truvativ Handlebar Spotted - Bike Rumor
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Saw that, hence the "yet" . . . . But I really doubt SC will go with a longer travel 29er. Man a black stanchion Lyrik would be badass though.

mtbr member
    my guess is a 27.5 inch version of a blur or nomad. A fat tire bike would just be cool! I love my tblt but a longer travel 29er would be pretty crazy, going over 140 travel on a 29er just seems like its getting too high
    it's not about how LONG your travel is... its's how well you use it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sikkfreerider View Post
    my guess is a 27.5 inch version of a blur or nomad. A fat tire bike would just be cool! I love my tblt but a longer travel 29er would be pretty crazy, going over 140 travel on a 29er just seems like its getting too high
    Why do you think it's getting too high? I'm not being antagonistic here but if a company is able to make longer travel work and couple it with good handling and the extra rollability of 29" wheels then how can this be a bad thing? The only bad thing in my opinion could potentially be the great margin for messing up badly at the higher speeds people will be riding!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I just don't understand why people would want a 6" 29er unless they're racing enduro events. That's the only positive I can think of. They can't be as fun to jump and play around on as a 26" or 27" bike, and the added weight of big tires and stronger 29" wheels seems like a major drawback. Plowing over rough terrain at high speeds? Sure, but how many people actually buy a 6" bike for anything other than having fun on technical trails and stunts? IMO, if you aren't racing enduro and want a 6" travel 29er, you're missing the point. Either have fun on a more playful 26" or 27" bike, or buy a 29er trail bike for distance rides. Maybe I'm way off here, but who wants to cover long distances while hitting large stunts, drops, and jumps on the way other than an enduro racer? Just seems like too much of a compromise one way or the other... I'm not trying to insult anyone here. I'm really curious.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    I just don't understand why people would want a 6" 29er unless they're racing enduro events. That's the only positive I can think of. They can't be as fun to jump and play around on as a 26" or 27" bike, and the added weight of big tires and stronger 29" wheels seems like a major drawback. Plowing over rough terrain at high speeds? Sure, but how many people actually buy a 6" bike for anything other than having fun on technical trails and stunts? IMO, if you aren't racing enduro and want a 6" travel 29er, you're missing the point. Either have fun on a more playful 26" or 27" bike, or buy a 29er trail bike for distance rides. Maybe I'm way off here, but who wants to cover long distances while hitting large stunts, drops, and jumps on the way other than an enduro racer? Just seems like too much of a compromise one way or the other... I'm not trying to insult anyone here. I'm really curious.
    No it's good to hear your opinion, however the latest 29" trail bikes are fun, I have more fun on mine than I did on my last 26" bike (which was a Nickel incidentally), it jumps, hops, manuals, and turns as well if not better than most 26" bikes I've ridden and the Tracer 275 I was riding last weekend. Not selling the old cool aid here though, it's just a common misconception that 29ers aren't fun, when good ones are a blast to ride.

Again, I'm not wanting to start an argument here. For what it's worth I think the new bike will be a longer travel 29er or a 650B hardtail... I've been wrong before though!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    i honestly understand people who argue that a 29er enduro bike with about 155 mm in the rear is way too much, but as I have been also to finale ligure when they "introduced" it in october one of my friends hat the opportunity to test it for a german magazine. he said, that he usually is not a big fan of 29ers but the tallboy ltc , stump evo changed his mind. and riding the 29er enduro he said that it feels like it is a 26er in turns and it destroys everything. you can ride lines which you usually would not do. and btw as I owned dozens of bike before (always 26er) I never thought that my tallboy ltc would be so playable. I play with it more than I did on my nomad!!! and I am faster on it as well. so I think that people can argue as much as they want because their are 29er opponents and proponents, and often the opponents get proponents when they ride it (as it was also in my case!)

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm on a TB LTc, and I feel the same way. I've only ridden 29ers, and I absolutely love my LTc as a trail bike. If I got a bigger bike, it would be for getting air time and playing around, and I'd go with smaller wheels.

mtbr member
    I just don't understand why people would want a 6" 29er unless they're racing enduro events.
    People will buy anything that's new and shinny. If the concept is going strong 3-4yrs down the road you know it's for real.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I rode Tallboy LTc, BLTc and Nomadc on my local trails, very narrow trails, tech, with a lot roots, little jumps.
    I don't like the Tallboy LTc for enduro stuff, in the rigidity department it is in the same league than my BLT alu, but not like Nomadc or BLTc they are very rigid. The Tallboy LTc had Fox 34, wheels: Chris King and Notubes rims so it wasn't the setup. Is a fantastic bike but for that kind of trails BLT or Nomad is better, more fun

Nomad 29" ...., there are a Tallboy LTc that already use the max in 29" forks. And Santa Cruz doesn't follow the others brands they create machines that others will follow nest years.
    Last edited by Surfas; 03-01-2013 at 09:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Here is the thing with that Specialized Enduro that people aren't thinking about until they have one and want a change.

It's still using that stupid yoke on the tail of the shock. Try finding that shock somewhere other than Specialized. I know, I tired to upgrade the shock on my FSR and couldn't.

I'll NEVER buy another bike that has a special shock/fork again.

I really think the big S is moving in the wrong direction. This year that add the stupid ****ing yoke to the Camber line also.
    Tantrum incoming
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    How long did it take for people that went from 26ers transitioning to 29ers to get used to the 29ers?
    Last edited by LowLow; 03-01-2013 at 10:24 PM.

mtbr member
    That yoke thing is true. I am drooling over the short stays on the new Enduro, but at the same time I dislike the proprietary stuff.
    My current Stumpjumper 29er FSR also has the same Speci shock and it is really cumbersome.
    A reason NOT to buy another Specialized. Also the Enduro has the friggin PF30 BB. Try to find decent Shimano cranks...

Let's see what SC does next!

Greetings Znarf

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Znarf View Post
    My current Stumpjumper 29er FSR also has the same Speci shock and it is really cumbersome.
    I agree, I borrowed a SJ FSR Comp from my LBS just out of curiosity and its terrible, that auto sag feature sucks! Its sat in my van waiting to go back to the shop.

Not at 29ers (or indeed bikes!) are equal!

mtbr member
    Why is anyone still guessing? Nobody read the posts? It's confirmed that its a 650b 5.5 inch travel bike. And I talked to a lbs owner who also confirmed from his friend and rep that its a 650. Hell I posted it back in December.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vizsladog View Post
    Why is anyone still guessing? Nobody read the posts? It's confirmed that its a 650b 5.5 inch travel bike. And I talked to a lbs owner who also confirmed from his friend and rep that its a 650. Hell I posted it back in December.
    Because not knowing and making sh!t up is waaay more fun. Besides no one on here has actually confirmed jack sh!t as far as I can see. So c'mon let's keep it going. Bamboo 29er.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by expatrider View Post
    Because not knowing and making sh!t up is waaay more fun. Besides no one on here has actually confirmed jack sh!t as far as I can see. So c'mon let's keep it going. Bamboo 29er.
    I can confirm
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

wretch

New Santa Cruz Bike?

Fatbike. They had a shop / factory video out a while back and the closing shot had a bunch of fat bikes racked up and painted ...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Znarf View Post
    That yoke thing is true. I am drooling over the short stays on the new Enduro, but at the same time I dislike the proprietary stuff.
    A reason NOT to buy another Specialized. Also the Enduro has the friggin PF30 BB. Try to find decent Shimano cranks...

Let's see what SC does next!

Greetings Znarf
    I fixed all three problems, Yoke, PF30BB and horrid Avid breaks; sold the SJ and bought a TBc
    Tantrum incoming
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    650b BLT or Nomad would be my guess
    thats definitely not different let alone completely different. Would be super lame-o if that was the case. Even a bike revision like a new nomad would be kind of lame considering the copy says something "completely" different.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan_daugherty View Post
    thats definitely not different let alone completely different. Would be super lame-o if that was the case. Even a bike revision like a new nomad would be kind of lame considering the copy says something "completely" different.
    It's a (completely) different wheel size than the rest of their bikes. Seems sensible to me. It's probably not a hoverbike if that's what you are hoping for.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    It's a (completely) different wheel size than the rest of their bikes. Seems sensible to me. It's probably not a hoverbike if that's what you are hoping for.
    If its a different wheel size option of any of their bikes the copy should read "Now for something that everyone else is doing so we're going to donit too."

Formerly of Kent
    For me, personally, a LONG travel 29er is just a lot of bike. I'm 5'6", 145lbs. When I'm back in the States I'm a "pro" XC racer on a 29er HT, and I'm building up a light Blur LTc 650b for Enduro racing. But a 150mm 29er would be more bike than I need, ever. My bike will cost half of the S-Works Enduro 29er, weigh several pounds less, be much more manageable.

But, to each his/her own. Could be the bees knees for a taller/bigger guy.
    Death from Below.
    RLTW!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hope you 27.5 guys like riding without a seat. Can't believe everyone missed the news of Santa Cruz signing Danny Macaskill. Seen a video somewhere of him hopping around on what appears to be a 27.5 trials bike. Now that my friends is "something completely different"!

mtbr member

New Santa Cruz Bike?

Quote Originally Posted by keekay521 View Post
    Hope you 27.5 guys like riding without a seat. Can't believe everyone missed the news of Santa Cruz signing Danny Macaskill. Seen a video somewhere of him hopping around on what appears to be a 27.5 trials bike. Now that my friends is "something completely different"!
    They could sells 10's of those

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    29er uni-cycle?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan_daugherty View Post
    What would be "completely different" in your opinion?

father, mountain biker
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy View Post
    What would be "completely different" in your opinion?

"He seems quite arrogant and ignores quite some valid points." -Millfox
    "I don't like you" -ne_dan

mtbr member
    Its actually going to be a 24er, 6" rear travel, front rigid bike. They're setting all the new trends.

memorable member
    Could it possibly be a road frameset? If not. Why not? 650b will be a bust imo.

It could be made into a monster, if we all pull together as a team.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mashochist View Post
    650b will be a bust imo.
    Any reason why you think that? Have you ridden one? If not, why should anybody care about your opinion?

edit: I just wish people would back up their opinions with some sort of fact or experience. Otherwise, opinions are wasted.
    Last edited by mountainbiker24; 03-05-2013 at 09:05 PM.

mtbr member
    It's an APP 69er.

memorable member
    Any reason why you think that? Have you ridden one? If not, why should anybody care about your opinion?
    No, you shouldn't care about my opinion. Enjoy your 650b.

It could be made into a monster, if we all pull together as a team.

mtbr member
    It may be like this? This is my preview.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Santa Cruz Bronson Bike?-p4pb8533816.jpg  

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast