Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    But a 29er is sufficiently different from a 26". My earlier comment was that I failed to see how they're *better*, but they're different.

650B, I just don't think is anything worth buying a new bike over.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dustman View Post
    I just opened the newest Dirt Rag Magazine and on the second or third page it has a new Santa Cruz ad. "And now for something completely different" "April 1st 2013." Does anyone know what this is referring to? i have an order in for a TBLTc, but if something new is coming out... Maybe a 650b?
    So dustman... Do you wait or just do the tallboy ltc... I a in the same exact boa

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I have had an order in for the TBLTc for over a month. I guess the silver lining is, I will see the new bike on April 1, before the TBLTc ever gets here!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzy View Post
    Here's what I see
    29 r wheel
    Flattish bars
    Full face
    Looks like a 29" wheel to me too. A carbon 29" AM hardtail would definitely qualify as "completely different", wouldn't it?
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dustman View Post
    I have had an order in for the TBLTc for over a month. I guess the silver lining is, I will see the new bike on April 1, before the TBLTc ever gets here!!!
    So dustman, or anyone else with an opinion, I have one more question. I'm about to order a tall boy ltc. Debating between xtr with three up front, two up front, or the SRAM with xx1. Ride around ma but will do west trips. Older, fatter and slower than I was years ago so slightly afraid the xx1 will beat the crap out of me when I have to do several thousand feet of climbing on west trips... Suggestions?

mtbr member
    I am older and slower as well and can appreciate a granny ring at 7-8k feet above sea level. My butcher has a single 30 up front with a 36 in the back and I have been considering upgrading to 38 or 41 in the back. Then again my bike weighs 33LBS and has aggressive tires on it and rolls like snot.

IMHO, I'd do a well ratio-ed double up front if you have concerns. Triples are a PITA.

i
    Quote Originally Posted by Hallpass View Post
    So dustman, or anyone else with an opinion, I have one more question. I'm about to order a tall boy ltc. Debating between xtr with three up front, two up front, or the SRAM with xx1. Ride around ma but will do west trips. Older, fatter and slower than I was years ago so slightly afraid the xx1 will beat the crap out of me when I have to do several thousand feet of climbing on west trips... Suggestions?
    SC:12' Butcher (sold)
    SC:12' Superlight 29er (sold)
    SC:12' Juliana (wife's)
    SC:12' TBLT

Happy Trails

New Santa Cruz Bike?

Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

Last fall I put some fresh winter rubber on my Nomad....

....Now I realized it was the bigger wheels.
    REAL WORLD Testify. Nice post. Cred for you when I get back to my PC.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Hallpass View Post
    A 28t front ring with XX1 will get you basically the same low gear as a 24t granny on a double or triple with a 36t rear cog. If I had the money I'd go XX1 but I've got CK hubs.

mtbr member
    On the great rock facebook page there is a on one prototype compatible with 160 MM. fork Maybe 160 29er fork are in the pipeline.
    A LLTc Tallboy would be great!

mtbr member
    I've been bugging SC over the past couple years for a VP Free type replacement to fill the void between the Nomad and V10. Their response has repeatedly been that the Freeride segment has seen decreasing demand...

"No new freeride oriented models to announce at this time, sorry!"

This is too bad, I was hopeful that they would make a carbon 7" to 8" travel frame in carbon, like say a Nomad LTc. I hope that's what we will see in April.

As for the picture, unless there is a higher res image then the one attached, I think it is pretty hard to tell what the wheel size is. Due to the full-face helmet, my guess is that it is not likely to be a 29er. Despite the claims from 9er weenies, the big wheels are not well suited for fast DH/enduro riding. See the comparison test on PB: Opinion: 26 vs 27.5 vs 29-inch Wheels - Pinkbike

Perhaps 650b may fit the bill, but I am keeping my fingers crossed for my Nomad LTc

mtbr member
    ^^ Good link, hadn't seen it. And if I may quote a small piece:

Ultimately, the differences between the wheel sizes were more or less what you would expect. The 29-inch bike could barrel through sections wide-open, but it was harder to carry speed through tight corners. 26-inch wheels tended to lose speed more readily, but you could play with the bike more easily. It's here I take issue with 27.5-inch wheels. The traditional logic states that they roll-over things better than a 26-inch bike, but handle more nimbly than a 29-inch bike. However, if you flip that logic on its head, they don't roll-through as well as a 29er and don't handle as well as a 26-inch wheeled bike. For me, at least, 26-inch bikes are the most fun to play with and, at the end of the day, that's what mountain biking is supposed to be about. If you start looking at the new generation of fast-handling 29-inch bikes coming through, like the Specialized Stumpjumper 29er, the Santa Cruz Tallboy or the Orange Five 29, the inevitable question for me is "What's the point of 27.5?" The sacrifices for running a bigger wheel size are becoming fewer, so why lose that extra roll-over? The in-between size starts to look like an unnecessary compromise.
    My point exactly.

Now older but less slow!

New Santa Cruz Bike?

While I would be interested in a 650b/27.5 Santa Cruz, now that I have my TBLTc the only thing that would improve it for me would be a carbon wheel set. The carbon wheel set would still be cheaper than selling and buying a new bike

mtbr member
    People: let's stop the bickering over which wheel size is better, and get back on track by engaging in all sorts of crazy pointless e-speculation about what this new bike will be.

mtbr member

150mm travel 29er FS, like a Niner WFO. lower link clearance will be an issue, just like the Niner, but people want more travel and SC has the engineering and technology to serve it up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Did anyone notice that the rider is a girl? SHE's riding either a 26" or 27.5" but def not a 29" And since they are sponsoring the ENDURO, good bet it's an Enduro bike...Maybe a new Blur LTc 27.5 or a Nomad, or something completely new. I'd love a Blur LTc 27.5" In the market for a new bike and have rode the Tallboys and Tb LT's and loved them but think I want a little more fun and agile than pure speed.

Spoke too soon, wrong pic...this one is what I was looking at..
    New Santa Cruz Bronson Bike?-769807d1360350871-new-santa-cruz-bike-max_ews2013.jpg

Still the rest I'm sticking with...Enduro, BLT 27.5 or Nomad is my guess. Either way, I'm probably holding out til then to replace my beloved 10y.o Superlight.
    Last edited by teledude; 02-13-2013 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Oops!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by teledude View Post
    Did anyone notice that the rider is a girl? SHE's riding either a 26" or 27.5" but def not a 29"
    You must have a better picture than me. Any chance you can post a link to a hi-res image?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Pic probably not even related to the announcement...

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Did anyone notice that the rider is a girl? SHE's riding either a 26" or 27.5" but def not a 29" And since they are sponsoring the ENDURO, good bet it's an Enduro bike...
    I've pointed this out before (in this thread) - thats a TRc.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Did anyone notice that the rider is a girl? SHE's riding either a 26" or 27.5" but def not a 29" And since they are sponsoring the ENDURO, good bet it's an Enduro bike...Maybe a new Blur LTc 27.5 or a Nomad, or something completely new. I'd love a Blur LTc 27.5" In the market for a new bike and have rode the Tallboys and Tb LT's and loved them but think I want a little more fun and agile than pure speed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	769807d1360350871-new-santa-cruz-bike-max_ews2013.jpg 
Views:	1688 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	771509

Still the rest I'm sticking with...Enduro, BLT 27.5 or Nomad is my guess. Either way, I'm probably holding out til then to replace my beloved 10y.o Superlight.

That is Katrina Strand. She is ridding a TRc with a Fox 36 on it. I believe this pic is from the 2012 Crankworx Enduro on Top Of the World on Whistler Mtn.

mtbr member
    I think it is the advetising for the Enduro serie (see bottom page of the the right page)

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post
    While I would be interested in a 650b/27.5 Santa Cruz, now that I have my TBLTc the only thing that would improve it for me would be a carbon wheel set. The carbon wheel set would still be cheaper than selling and buying a new bike
    Put the Enve AM wheelset with CK hubs on the TB LTc and there's literally not anything I would change with my set-up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Put the Enve AM wheelset with CK hubs on the TB LTc and there's literally not anything I would change with my set-up.
    Until next week when the next great thing comes along.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Until next week when the next great thing comes along.
    +1 - too true...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	769807d1360350871-new-santa-cruz-bike-max_ews2013.jpg 
Views:	1688 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	771509

That bike is a 26. The reason I know this is because I blew it up then compared the ratio of the rotor to a 26 and 27.5 wheel. Guessing the caliper was both 160 and 180 it had the same ratio (for both sizes) as one would expect to see from a 26 in wheel not a 27.5. But as someone stated it probably has nothing to do with the bike in question.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wncunderground View Post
    Tallboy Trail
    68 deg ha
    iscg 05 mounts
    stealth dropper routing
    shorten the stays and go single ring only
    bump up travel slightly
    Might be on to something. Even though the TB and TBLT aren't that far apart, my LBS has expressed he wished for a TB in around 120mm version.

Would put in line to compete with the new Niner Rip 9 RDO
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast