Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Look at the ad carefully, clearly there is only one 29" wheel visible-that only leaves a 29er trail unicycle. I say it's about time!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Exchangeable rear ends/ links. 26/650b any way you please.

That would be smart thinking?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Easier to think through what its not: V10 just got update - TRc just got Alu version - Tallboy & TBLT arent too old yet - APP just got discontinued + I dont think they would advertize those this way - Hecker and Superlights are not to be changed, why else they remain pretty much as is through time.

This leaves their Blur XC, Blur LT and Nomad. Looking at picture, guy shredding, its propably not XC bike purely.

My money is for either new platform (gap between Nomad and V10 would be filled), BLT or Nomad update. If its completely different - don't know as Santa Cruz is not jumping to new fashion things too quickly. Could be they 650B both BLT and Nomad ...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Am I the only one who wants to see a new driver 8?! I know from the picture that would be my last guess, but a man can dream can't he?

Zombie Uprising
    Stiga, BLT and BLTc also got updated for 2013 with 142x12 and ISCG05 tabs that were missing on both. So I would take these out of the equation.
    It could be a new Nomad Mk3 in alu, only for 2013.
    Also, you are right in your reasoning about a new freeride platform either 26" or 650b to fill in the gap between Nomad Mk2 and V10, (there hasn't been a real freeride bike in their line since the Bullit; the Driver 8 was just a shorter (cheaper for privateers) travel V10, that could be used with a single crown fork, though it's doubtful if it was used by the majority in this configuration).

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I would guess that the new bike is focused for enduro/AM, maybe redesigned Blur LT(c). I mean they announced a while back, that they are sponsoring the 2013 Enduro World Series and are going to have team riders participating. It would make sense that they would release a new bike to go with it. I really doubt that they would release a freeride bike. I mean, Driver8 really didn't sell too well if I recall correctly, you can use V10c in 8" mode instead, and the whole "freeride" category is pretty much dead, or rather a blast from the past. I kind of doubt that the new bike would have 27.5" wheels either, because they are quite conservative into adopting new things. But maybe 29" tought them a lesson, I think they were a bit late into that game?

Part of me wishes that they would release NomadC Mk3, but on the other hand that would burn a hole into my wallet.

MOJO BICHU
    My guess: reborn of the Bullit (with 170/180mm rear travel). I see in that pic the front triangle of the discontinued Bullit, i can dream too!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    New Santa Cruz Bronson Bike?-max_ews2013.jpg

If this is the same bike then 650b Blur is my bet.

mtbr member
    That there is last years black with green TR frame.

mtbr member
    May 2005

New Santa Cruz Bike?

Quote Originally Posted by Patticake View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	max_ews2013.jpg 
Views:	992 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	769807

If this is the same bike then 650b Blur is my bet.
    Yeah that's a Blur LT650 for sure.....

mtbr member
    Doubt it is same bike, although that is definitely a TRc. Certainly not same location. I think this is just an ad by the event organisers, whereas the other one is an ad by SC.

I have spent way too much time thinking about that SC ad and what that "something completely different" might be. Even a 650B bike is not going to be that - even though that makes sense. Maybe a 650B with new suspension - VPP3??. This would be nice, and would make some sense given all the complaints about VPP2 on the Nomad.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    That's a friend of mine on her TRc

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripo View Post
    Yeah that's a Blur LT650 for sure.....
    Thats a TRC, you can see the green stripes by the headtube.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Santa Cruz engineer Joe Grainey doesn't seem like he would be going with 650B: How to Break Into the Cycling Industry – Santa Cruz Bikes Engineer Joe Graney - Bike Rumor

"You know what I could really fĖkiní do without? 650B. What a pain in the ass thatís going to be."

mtbr member
    May 2005

New Santa Cruz Bike?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdan View Post
    Santa Cruz engineer Joe Grainey doesn't seem like he would be going with 650B: How to Break Into the Cycling Industry Ė Santa Cruz Bikes Engineer Joe Graney - Bike Rumor

"You know what I could really fĖkiní do without? 650B. What a pain in the ass thatís going to be."

Nah SC double speak right there....

mtbr member
    Folks, 650B/27.5 is utterly stupid. Why would you want new wheels, new fork, new frame for a tire & wheel 5% bigger diameter than a 26" of the same width? Why would you go from a massive variety in forks, frames, wheels and tires to having at best 10% of that availability?

But all that is not going to stop a lot of people from trying to capitalize on it. The world went 29er crazy the past 2-3 years, and some manufacturers just see dollar signs for 650B. Dollars that may or may not be there.

I'm with Joe Grainey. And Brian Lopes. And a lot of other smart folks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    Folks, 650B/27.5 is utterly stupid. Why would you want new wheels, new fork, new frame for a tire & wheel 5% bigger diameter than a 26" of the same width? Why would you go from a massive variety in forks, frames, wheels and tires to having at best 10% of that availability?

But all that is not going to stop a lot of people from trying to capitalize on it. The world went 29er crazy the past 2-3 years, and some manufacturers just see dollar signs for 650B. Dollars that may or may not be there.

I'm with Joe Grainey. And Brian Lopes. And a lot of other smart folks.
    Let me ask you. Have you ever ridden a 650b bike, or a 29er?
    I have a XC 29er and a TRc with both 26" and 650b wheels.
    All of them are legit and the differences are there.
    650b was initially pushed by the enthusiast riders, not by the industry.
    Stay alert, you might not have noticed yet, but the 650b revolution is already here.
    My prediction is that it will become mainstream in 1-2 years.
    LBS have problems selling 26er bikes, the market was taken over by 29er.
    The era of 650b has just begun

mtbr member

Exactly. They are good in it even without Ferrentino

mtbr member
    If they make a 650B FS carbon fiber frame in a size small, my fiance could possibly be the first one to own one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Let me ask you. Have you ever ridden a 650b bike, or a 29er?
    I have a XC 29er and a TRc with both 26" and 650b wheels.
    All of them are legit and the differences are there.
    650b was initially pushed by the enthusiast riders, not by the industry.
    Stay alert, you might not have noticed yet, but the 650b revolution is already here.
    My prediction is that it will become mainstream in 1-2 years.
    LBS have problems selling 26er bikes, the market was taken over by 29er.
    The era of 650b has just begun
    +1 - people said 29ers were a gimmick as well until they became a proven quantity. 650B will do great for the longer travel FS market. The question is will the market for 26ers be strong enough to support two wheel sizes in a lot of models or are 26" wheels going to be dropped for the most part?

I was a skeptic about 29ers and 650B in the past. Then I experimented with wheel size changes and was shocked at the result. At least for where I ride...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Yes, I have ridden 29ers. I could not perceive any advantage in rolling ability. I could perceive a disadvantage in weight and agility. I'm not alone here.

For 650B, I would bet that if you took some 26" and some 650B, stripped off decals and painted over the tires, and disallowed test riders to inspect them closely, people would be unable to reliably detect which bikes were which. 5% diameter is hardly a factor.

mtbr member
    But, I'm done talking about it. I love bikes. Some people look for any reason, valid or not, to buy a new bike. And that's fine.

mtbr member
    Yes, I have ridden 29ers. I could not perceive any advantage in rolling ability. I could perceive a disadvantage in weight and agility. I'm not alone here.

For 650B, I would bet that if you took some 26" and some 650B, stripped off decals and painted over the tires, and disallowed test riders to inspect them closely, people would be unable to reliably detect which bikes were which. 5% diameter is hardly a factor.
    Why do you disagree with physics so much?

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripo View Post

Agree.....they kept telling us for years that they wouldn't get into the 29er market as well......and look how bad of an investment that was.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member

Last fall I put some fresh winter rubber on my Nomad. Went out for a ride on the new tires and was pretty shocked at how crappy my ride was. I couldn't clean tech sections I normally rocked and had tons of pedal strikes. I kept getting hung up on rocky/rooty zones I typically had no issue with, I was surprised because I expected the fresh rubber to have lots of traction and ride better than my worn older tires.

I went into this assuming the new setup would be a big improvement.

So then I went back to my old tires and every techy part of the trail was better. Hmm. The new tires had better traction, but the old tires were bigger. You can see the difference in these pics ~20mm overall diameter.

Then I lent my bigger tires to my GF who is not a big spender when it comes to bike parts and just rides her bike until something stops working. She liked them so much she spent $150 for new tires.

I went into this "experiment" biased against the bigger rubber because it was worn and I figured a slightly smaller wheel [~3% difference] wouldn't be noticeable. I came out totally appreciating that extra 20mm.

The only downside to all this was a year ago when I put the bigger tires on my riding got noticeably better. At the time I just assumed it was because I was getting more awesome... Now I realized it was the bigger wheels...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast