Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    Get mikesee to recommend and build you a set. They'll hold up.
    That's a great thought! I haven't thought bout him in a while but that's definitely something to consider. I'll give him a shout!

mtbr member
    I am5'10 and in between a medium and a large. I like throwing my bike around with a short stem and ride wide bars should I size up or down? I have always sized down on miners but their large starts at 5'11 and goes to 6'3 where as Santa Cruz goes from 5'10 to 6'1

throbbing mtbr member
    Nevermind- just realized the last post was from back in June...
    Last edited by Slawth; 10-08-2013 at 09:24 AM. Reason: haha just realized the last post was from back in June...
    Livin' the dream, one OTB at a time.

mtbr member
    sorry for using this old thread, but: i am thinking of buying my girlfriend a large bronson.
    she´s 5'7" (1,70m) - what do you guys think? will it be okay with a short 40mm stem?
    any ideas, suggestions, hints?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    My 5'8" wife has short legs and comfortably rides a medium with a short stem. I think you'd regret going with a large.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bachmayeah View Post
    sorry for using this old thread, but: i am thinking of buying my girlfriend a large bronson.
    she´s 5'7" (1,70m) - what do you guys think? will it be okay with a short 40mm stem?
    +1 on this being a bad idea. I am 6'1" and ride a large with a 45mm stem

mtbr member
    Are we talking Bronson v1 or v2? Either way a medium would be a better fit. A large V1 might be a good fit reach wise, but the seat tube would be just too long to run any nice length dropper...
    A large V2 will be most likely a touch too long unless she really likes to be stretched out on longer bikes.

mtbr member
    we´re talking 'bout the v1 bronson:

she has long legs and long arms with a rather short torso "monkeystyle"

mtbr member
    we´re talking 'bout the v1 bronson:

she has long legs and long arms with a rather short torso "monkeystyle"
    V1 is pretty short bike, so she would be OK with a short 35mm stem on a large, but the seat tube is going to be pretty long...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    V1 is pretty short bike, so she would be OK with a short 35mm stem on a large, but the seat tube is going to be pretty long...
    sth like that was my idea.maybe even the short 35mm Syntace Stem..she now rides a commencal meta sx in medium with a 50mm stem.
    http://www.commencal.net/web_bicycle...eta_sx_650.pdf
    the seattube is 30 mm (1.18") shorter on the meta, which i could adjust by pushing the reverb as much as possible into the tube... i ride my nomad xl with reverb like this without any problems. the difference concerning standover is 731mm (SC Bronson L) to 720 mm (Commencal Meta M)
    where exactly do you see the problem concerning the seat tube?

mtbr member
    sth like that was my idea.maybe even the short 35mm Syntace Stem..she now rides a commencal meta sx in medium with a 50mm stem.
    http://www.commencal.net/web_bicycle...eta_sx_650.pdf
    the seattube is 30 mm (1.18") shorter on the meta, which i could adjust by pushing the reverb as much as possible into the tube... i ride my nomad xl with reverb like this without any problems. the difference concerning standover is 731mm (SC Bronson L) to 720 mm (Commencal Meta M)
    where exactly do you see the problem concerning the seat tube?
    It depends on her inseam #. Looks like a dropper longer than 125mm would be out of the question. And there is the standover. Not every company measures it the same way, so hard to say the 1cm difference really is 1cm...

Bottom line, the reach with a short stem and seat forward should be fine, especially if she likes longer reach and WB, which aren't that long on the Bronson anyway. You can even get a 32mm syntactic stem, I run one on my Nomad and like it a lot.

Seat tube in my opinion is a bit too long for her unless she is OK to run a 100-125mm dropper (this would disqualify it in my book).

Any chance for her to sit on one before you buy it?

mtbr member
    It depends on her inseam #. Looks like a dropper longer than 125mm would be out of the question. And there is the standover. Not every company measures it the same way, so hard to say the 1cm difference really is 1cm...

Bottom line, the reach with a short stem and seat forward should be fine, especially if she likes longer reach and WB, which aren't that long on the Bronson anyway. You can even get a 32mm syntactic stem, I run one on my Nomad and like it a lot.

Seat tube in my opinion is a bit too long for her unless she is OK to run a 100-125mm dropper (this would disqualify it in my book).

Any chance for her to sit on one before you buy it?
    nope, unfortunately there´s no chance of bestriding.she once sat on medium bronson for a few moments with a short stem and said that it felt like a kid´s bike. the frame i put an eye on would come with a 150mm reverb. why ist that too much?
    ain´t it possible to put the post deep enough in the frame?
    i dont have to fully extend the seat post.

i could buy the frame, built it as far as possible so that she could "test-sit" it, and afterwards i could think about buying a new shorter stem or reselling the large bronson frame(set). but i would rather like it that she likes the L size and we could keep the bronson.

mtbr member
    nope, unfortunately there´s no chance of bestriding.she once sat on medium bronson for a few moments with a short stem and said that it felt like a kid´s bike. the frame i put an eye on would come with a 150mm reverb. why ist that too much?
    ain´t it possible to put the post deep enough in the frame?
    i dont have to fully extend the seat post.

i could buy the frame, built it as far as possible so that she could "test-sit" it, and afterwards i could think about buying a new shorter stem or reselling the large bronson frame(set). but i would rather like it that she likes the L size and we could keep the bronson.
    Bronson v1 ST is 469.9mm/18.5" long.
    Fully extended 150mm dropper will most likely be too long for her, even if pushed into ST all the way down.
    Of course she can run it not fully extended but it is going to be a hassle to always try to find the correct length, something I wouldn't want to put up with.

mtbr member
    Bronson v1 ST is 469.9mm/18.5" long.
    Fully extended 150mm dropper will most likely be too long for her, even if pushed into ST all the way down.
    Of course she can run it not fully extended but it is going to be a hassle to always try to find the correct length, something I wouldn't want to put up with.
    i understand... but now with the meta sx she also has a reverb and sometimes "plays" with the extension until she finds the right length...so she should be - kind of - used to this

mtbr member
    I am 5' 7" and ride a large Mk1 Bronson. It was one of the first in the country so could not try one, and my previous medium Blur LT was a bit too small so erred on the large side. It was a mistake as it is a bit too big for me for 3 main reasons:
    1) With a 125mm Reverb I can't get the post quite far enough down, but only by about 1/2". This is a real PITA
    2) I am sitting too far behind the BB when I am pedalling
    3) It's a stretch to get far enough off the back in steep stuff while still maintaining a good stance

It helped a bit by going to a 35 mm stem, but still I am just about to push the button on a new medium Bronson. If your other half is the same height as me but has long legs and short torso she might be just OK on post height, but she will be very stretched.

FYI, the relative dimensions are:
    Bronson V1 large reach 16.9", stack 23.4", ST length 18.5"
    New Bronson medium reach 16.7" stack 23.4, ST length 16.5"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Mainwaring View Post
    I am 5' 7" and ride a large Mk1 Bronson. It was one of the first in the country so could not try one, and my previous medium Blur LT was a bit too small so erred on the large side. It was a mistake as it is a bit too big for me for 3 main reasons:
    1) With a 125mm Reverb I can't get the post quite far enough down, but only by about 1/2". This is a real PITA
    2) I am sitting too far behind the BB when I am pedalling
    3) It's a stretch to get far enough off the back in steep stuff while still maintaining a good stance

It helped a bit by going to a 35 mm stem, but still I am just about to push the button on a new medium Bronson. If your other half is the same height as me but has long legs and short torso she might be just OK on post height, but she will be very stretched.

FYI, the relative dimensions are:
    Bronson V1 large reach 16.9", stack 23.4", ST length 18.5"
    New Bronson medium reach 16.7" stack 23.4, ST length 16.5"
    thx for all the info lads. we decided to go for some more testrides (if possible) first before buying based on numbers...

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819