Thread: New rear shock

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

New rear shock

Hi all,

I have an '07 Blur LT with a Fox RP3 that I'd like to replace. Obviously, performance and adjustability are paramount but reliability is huge too. I do mostly aggressive XC and AM riding.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Why do you want to replace the RP3?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by honourablegeorge
    Maybe I have a bum RP3 but I feel like all I do is tweak the settings. I'd love to be able to set it and forget it.

MEDBLKANOSCBLT2RP23
    Why not have it custom tuned by Push, that's what I did with my RP3. I like it as much or better than my new RP23 09 on my new BLT2.
    Gives you 3 easy quick lever settings on the fly vs just 2 on the fly.
    Unless you want to go to another manufacturer, hopefully some others will
    advise on others like Cane Creek, RS and Mant.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by honourablegeorge
    Maybe I have a bum RP3 but I feel like all I do is tweak the settings. I'd love to be able to set it and forget it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pakdoc
    Why not have it custom tuned by Push, that's what I did with my RP3. I like it as much or better than my new RP23 09 on my new BLT2.
    Gives you 3 easy quick lever settings on the fly vs just 2 on the fly.
    Unless you want to go to another manufacturer, hopefully some others will
    advise on others like Cane Creek, RS and Mant.
    For some reason I hadn't thought of that. For $250 I can have it rebuilt and tuned. No lead time right now thru Push either.

Underweight Rider
    Never tried but would dhx 5 coil do the trick? prolly a bit over-built

mtbr member

DHX 5.0 Coil

Depends on your weight too. I have not ridden an RP3, but I had an RP23 on my BLT1. Never could get it right. I am ~210 lb geared up. Set 25-35% sag and it would wallow through the mid-stroke. Thought about PUSH, but ended up going with the DHX coil (Thanks to Ancientwisdom). Love the feel of the coil and I have never looke back. It added a little weight, but the BLT sure seems a lot faster and it hooks up a lot better. I may send the RP23 to PUSH one of these days and do a back-to-back, but it will take a lot to get me back off a coil.

I heart bikes!
    whats the stroke length of the shock on blt1?

mtbr member
    Stroke = 2.25"
    Eye to eye = 7.875"

mtbr member
    I have a PUSHED RP3 on my '06 BLT and couldn't be happier - difference from stock was like night and day! And make sure you have the high volume sleeve or you won't get full travel (depending on your weight anyway).

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Boyeeee
    I've gone through 4 shocks on my Blur 4x (not an LT, but close) that I use as a trail bike.

I had a 5th Element Air on there originally. This is actually a great shock but I was worried about lack of support so I started auditioning replacements.

The second shock was a Roco Air R. The Roco had awesome small bump compliance and rode well but it ramped up too fast and I couldn't get anywhere near full travel. This one went to ebay.

The third shock was a Push'd Float AVA RL. This thing felt as good as the Roco but I could use all the travel on bigger hits and jumps to flat (bad, i know). It felt a little harsh on bigger landings, but that was to be expected from a non-piggyback air shock. Playing with the air volume helped a lot, but I could never get the full big-hit responsiveness that I wanted (one of my other bikes is a Uzzi VPX with a Push'd DHX-C). Which led me to..

The current (and last) shock is a Push'd Vanilla RC. This thing is smoother and more controlled, especially on bigger hits, than any of the previous shocks. Aside from the weight and lack of trailside adjustability (have to change springs to let a different weight rider use the bike), there is no downside to this shock.

For XC and AM riding, the Push'd RP3 is probably a good fit if you're under 190 or so.