Fat but Fast
    Feb 2006

New question here. New Nomad - what stem? - what front hub?

I just bought a medium Nomad frame (slate ano) and a Fox vanilla 36RC fork. I'll be moving a bunch of stuff over from another bike. I'm 5" 8.5" tall, average build (OK, maybe a tiny bit of a fatty but I can haul a$$). Wondering what length/rise stem to get for it? I'll ride this as an all-mountain bike - lots of long XC rides, gnarly/techy stuff, some DH - but mostly want something in the range of do-it-all, not looking to go all-out DH with it. Any suggestions? Also, I need to build a new front wheel. Need to get a 20mm front hub and was looking for input on what works for y'all. Pros and cons of Hope, Chris King, Hadley, and Onyx much appreciated (other suggestions welcome too!). I'll post some pics after it gets built up. Thanks in advance for your help.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomadic
    I just bought a medium Nomad frame (slate ano) and a Fox vanilla 36RC fork. I'll be moving a bunch of stuff over from another bike. I'm 5" 8.5" tall, average build (OK, maybe a tiny bit of a fatty but I can haul a$$). Wondering what length/rise stem to get for it? I'll ride this as an all-mountain bike - lots of long XC rides, gnarly/techy stuff, some DH - but mostly want something in the range of do-it-all, not looking to go all-out DH with it. Any suggestions? Also, I need to build a new front wheel. Need to get a 20mm front hub and was looking for input on what works for y'all. Pros and cons of Hope, Chris King, Hadley, and Onyx much appreciated (other suggestions welcome too!). I'll post some pics after it gets built up. Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm 5'9.5" , and run a 90mm stem. It's a little tight, but OK for me. I guess you will be OK with 80-90 mm stem.
    About that hub - I dont think a front hub is a big issue. They are usually very reliable, and do not have any problems. All of the high end hubs seem pretty much the same to me.
    Personally I run the Hope bulb, hopes are bullit proof (also their rear hubs). I think the hope is a little less $$$ than the Hadlly or King.

mtbr member
    I'm 5"8' and run a 60mm stem on my Nomad which seems to work well.

I have a North Shore Billet 20mm front hub on mine and it is super smooth. But a 20mm front hub is pretty much just some bearings stuffed into a body so pretty much anything should be alright.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm 5'8" and ordered a 70mm for mine. I already have a 90mm on last years bike so I'll try both and decide which I like best. I'm hoping it's gonna be the 70mm because I want to ride a shorter stem this year.

For the hub I'm sold on Mavic Xmax XL wheels. Take my comments with a grain of salt because I am not necessarily objective since I like those wheels so much. They look good with those big spokes and only 28 of them. I've been abusing the wheels for two years and they are still perfectly aligned. The hub is either QR or 20mm, just an adapter to put in or take out. They are very light for such bomb proof wheels. And last but not least, tubeless really rules, no more flat and much more traction with low tire pressure.

Have fun with the new toy!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hi,

I've just purchased mine in the same colour. Only had 3 rides and originally had a 100mm Thompson 4X stem on it but after the first ride I changed it to a 50mm stem with Easton Monkey lite DH bars I had lying around. I don't really ride DH, more your style of All Mountain and I have wide shoulders so it felt better to me personally.

Strangely I didn't find that it altered by riding position too much and it still climbs really well, but on fast singletrack and switchbacks I found it much more responsive.

As for hubs, I agree with Pizzaman. I have DT Swiss 340's but any of the ones you mentioned would be great.

I'm gonna post my thoughts pics on my bike after a big ride at the weekend (still summer here in Australia), but so far it's great. Low BB takes a bit of getting used to though with regular pedal strikes at the moment. Jury is still out on the 36 TALAS as well. Godd but I reckon the extra travel of the Vanilla might help the BB.