mtbr member
    Sep 2014

new nomad, tough first day....

got a new ride yesterday, a 2015 nomad. my last bike was a 2012 faith that the second i got on i felt really comfortable. the nomad kinda made me feel like i need to learn to ride this bike. the crazy part was it climbs amazing if you stay seated the suspension doesn't move. my problem was going through a rock garden i went over the bars 2x. upon reflection i feel the geometry pushes you forward and the the platform shocks really seemed to throw me off. anyhow on my second event my spokes hit a stump and below out my tire and three spokes so my ride was cut pretty short. lucking i didn't break anything else on the bike though my wrist feels pretty bad....anyhow can i get some input on this, is it me or do i have to really learn this bike? i guess i should have taken a different trail for my first ride but i have been riding a long time and never really experienced anything like this....i thought with this bike under me i would simply kill it!! sadly that was far from the truth.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by kenwood72 View Post
    got a new ride yesterday, a 2015 nomad. my last bike was a 2012 faith that the second i got on i felt really comfortable. the nomad kinda made me feel like i need to learn to ride this bike. the crazy part was it climbs amazing if you stay seated the suspension doesn't move. my problem was going through a rock garden i went over the bars 2x. upon reflection i feel the geometry pushes you forward and the the platform shocks really seemed to throw me off. anyhow on my second event my spokes hit a stump and below out my tire and three spokes so my ride was cut pretty short. lucking i didn't break anything else on the bike though my wrist feels pretty bad....anyhow can i get some input on this, is it me or do i have to really learn this bike? i guess i should have taken a different trail for my first ride but i have been riding a long time and never really experienced anything like this....i thought with this bike under me i would simply kill it!! sadly that was far from the truth.
    Hows the sizing/stem/reach on it compared to the Faith? I know for me Santa Cruz sizing puts me up a frame size than most all other bike manufacturers.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kenwood72 View Post
    my problem was going through a rock garden i went over the bars 2x.
    I've had this same problem, first real rock garden after spending a few rides on more XC orientated stuff, went flying over the bars.

Admittedly my suspension is not quite where I want it yet, but it was a straight line through a rock garden I ride regularly, I was being being cautious but not slow.

I've come from a Rune V2 with similar geometry and sizing, so the frame size geometry feels pretty comfortable. It just felt like the back suddenly kicked and the front completely compressed, unfortunetly at the same time the front wheel was impacting another rock, so worst possible timing.

Haven't spent any real time on a VPP bike before, maybe its a suspension trait and I am not weghting the bike / adjusting my body language properly yet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I took a long time getting my Nomad dialed. One mistake I made was too much rebound on the rear shock. An experienced friend told me to slow it down all the way, and add a little bit at a time until you feel right. Maybe go back.

I was going the other way and the bike was pitching me forward bad on whoops. All smooth now after a few clicks, simplest fix ever.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I have a Bronson but I'll second that you check your rebound. Mine came set up wayy too fast from the shop. One of the first logs I hopped at a decent speed, I landed and was kicked right off the bike. Slowed the rebound on down, front and rear, made a big difference.