Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New Juliana line and new 120mm 27.5 bike

New women's line that looks sweet! Check it here. I think the most interesting bike is the Furtado. 120mm 27.5 new bike that is like nothing Santa Cruz has. For now?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Comparing the geometry of the Juliana Joplin to the Tallboy (with a 120mm fork), and the Furtado to the Blur TR, they are essentially identical. I don't see what makes the frames women-specific. The build kits have some women-specific features like shorter crank arms and smaller diameter handlebars, but the frames (including top tube length) look pretty much the same.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Furtado frame (perhaps with different paint colors) sold as a 650b TRc in the near future.

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
    Comparing the geometry of the Juliana Joplin to the Tallboy (with a 120mm fork), and the Furtado to the Blur TR, they are essentially identical. I don't see what makes the frames women-specific. The build kits have some women-specific features like shorter crank arms and smaller diameter handlebars, but the frames (including top tube length) look pretty much the same.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Furtado frame (perhaps with different paint colors) sold as a 650b TRc in the near future.
    It also shows that you can now get a what is essentially a Tallboy is a size Small.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I wonder if this 650b TRc is the June 1 surprise?

mtbr member
    Comparing the geometry of the Juliana Joplin to the Tallboy (with a 120mm fork), and the Furtado to the Blur TR, they are essentially identical.
    Any word on whether these bikes were also TWENTY YEARS IN THE MAKING???

(I kid. SC makes great bikes, and it makes sense they'd use existing frames and geometry in expanding their line. The marketing just makes me chuckle.)

mtbr member
    That would be my guess. A SC equivalent with 1 or 2 (XL/XXL) additional sizes. Heck, I'd ride a large Primeiro in a heartbeat if they don't offer one. Plus it has ISCG tabs as well!

mtbr member
    I agree the the folks above -- I'm thinking we will see an SC version of the Primeiro on June 1. At least that is my hope!
    2013 Santa Cruz Solo C
    2013 Santa Cruz Chameleon 650b SS
    2012 Giant Defy (Roadie)

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by wheatgerm View Post
    I wonder if this 650b TRc is the June 1 surprise?
    I'm sure it is, but if its not, I'll be rolling on a Juliana I guess . . . . the Primero looks spot on for what I'm looking for. My gut tells me though that there will be an SC branded equivalent.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    It's not clear whether the Julianas will be available as frame-only, but if SC doesn't offer a Furtado-equivalent bike, I'd love to build up a medium Furtado.

bog
    mtbr member
    On another note, it looks like SC has done some work to stiffen up the back end of the Tallboy.
    SC Tallboy C : Giant TCX SLR : Giant Propel Adv SL DA9070

I like mtn biking, too
    Sigh.

With all respect to Juliana Furtado, whom I admire... I'm disappointed.

As far as I can tell, these are existing Santa Cruz frames with different colors, head badge, smaller diameter bars, etc. and kitted out with lower-end components than you would find on the comparable male counterparts. How is this any different from previous incarnations of the "women's-specific" mountain bike?

The bikes are now available for purchase on Competitive Cyclist: Juliana by Santa Cruz Bicycles - Competitive Cyclist

This is the big premiere of 4 new bikes! However, there is no mention of it on Santa Cruz's own home page. Why?

The "high-end" Furtado (a 650B btw - nice!) is being sold with XT componentry which is great - I love Shimano XT & run it on both my mountain bikes. But here's the problem - it's not high-end. If you order a mens' bike, you can get higher-end components than that, and more choices. What if you want SRAM X11, for example?

And only 125 MM of travel for a trail bike? Sigh. If men's or "Unisex" mountain bikes are built for the stereotypical aggro youthful male, then women's mountain bikes are being built for the stereotypical tentative newbie female who must be walking over every bump on the trail. Neither is the truth - both are a stereotype.

I guess the main point is: Separate is not equal. Maybe I'm being over-dramatic. We are talking about recreational toys here, not the necessities of life. But why not just offer the Tallboy in a Small? Or offer the Bronson in an XS? Give women the same choices that men have, but offer a couple smaller sizes. Heck, give smaller men the same choices that women have by not calling it "women-specific".
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

bog
    mtbr member
    Yes, these are (mostly) existing SC frames and yes, you're being over-dramatic.

Chances are that you will be able to buy a small Tallboy soon and get it kitted out any way you won't.

The 125mm model is basically a 650b TRc so it is a new model and will get rolled into the SC lineup as a new model very soon. It is not a travel shortened, lightened Bronson.

So this Juliana launch serves to offer more options than ever! Be happy for that.

I like mtn biking, too
    Quote Originally Posted by bog View Post
    Chances are that you will be able to buy a small Tallboy soon and get it kitted out any way you won't.
    It's too late. I already built a 29'er frame from a company that had my size. I really wanted to try the Highball, (was looking for a HT race bike), but it was not small enough. I think the concept of the new Juliana bikes is great, and yes - I am happy that some of the experiments done there will make their way into the Santa Cruz line... someday.

But still - where are the longer travel women-specific bikes? I have a friend who's very first mountain bike was a Small Pivot Firebird with 170mm travel, which she loved and she progressed phenomenally on - preferring to ride technical trails - the more technical the better. She eventually realized that the Small was too big, and opted for the Mach 5.7c, because it comes in XS. Small women, yes even newbie riders, might progress better on longer travel bikes. Maybe not all of them, but I think that the options need to be there. If you want more women to enjoy mountain biking, sell them a bike that gives them confidence - not a short travel, sketchy, fear-inducing one. That's just my observation. Anyway, back to my real day job... lol.
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shredchic View Post
    It's too late. I already built a 29'er frame from a company that had my size. I really wanted to try the Highball, (was looking for a HT race bike), but it was not small enough. I think the concept of the new Juliana bikes is great, and yes - I am happy that some of the experiments done there will make their way into the Santa Cruz line... someday.

But still - where are the longer travel women-specific bikes? I have a friend who's very first mountain bike was a Small Pivot Firebird with 170mm travel, which she loved and she progressed phenomenally on - preferring to ride technical trails - the more technical the better. She eventually realized that the Small was too big, and opted for the Mach 5.7c, because it comes in XS. Small women, yes even newbie riders, might progress better on longer travel bikes. Maybe not all of them, but I think that the options need to be there. If you want more women to enjoy mountain biking, sell them a bike that gives them confidence - not a short travel, sketchy, fear-inducing one. That's just my observation. Anyway, back to my real day job... lol.
    Pivot sizing is pretty weird. Their Small is probably closer to a Santa Cruz medium. For instance, I can comfortably ride Pivot mediums. I can also comfortably ride SC larges and XLs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Sigh.

With all respect to Juliana Furtado, whom I admire... I'm disappointed.

As far as I can tell, these are existing Santa Cruz frames with different colors, head badge, smaller diameter bars, etc. and kitted out with lower-end components than you would find on the comparable male counterparts. How is this any different from previous incarnations of the "women's-specific" mountain bike?

The bikes are now available for purchase on Competitive Cyclist: Juliana by Santa Cruz Bicycles - Competitive Cyclist

This is the big premiere of 4 new bikes! However, there is no mention of it on Santa Cruz's own home page. Why?

The "high-end" Furtado (a 650B btw - nice!) is being sold with XT componentry which is great - I love Shimano XT & run it on both my mountain bikes. But here's the problem - it's not high-end. If you order a mens' bike, you can get higher-end components than that, and more choices. What if you want SRAM X11, for example?

And only 125 MM of travel for a trail bike? Sigh. If men's or "Unisex" mountain bikes are built for the stereotypical aggro youthful male, then women's mountain bikes are being built for the stereotypical tentative newbie female who must be walking over every bump on the trail. Neither is the truth - both are a stereotype.

I guess the main point is: Separate is not equal. Maybe I'm being over-dramatic. We are talking about recreational toys here, not the necessities of life. But why not just offer the Tallboy in a Small? Or offer the Bronson in an XS? Give women the same choices that men have, but offer a couple smaller sizes. Heck, give smaller men the same choices that women have by not calling it "women-specific".
    My wife refuses to buy or ride anything "women's specific" because she thinks it's lame, for some of the same reasons you describe.

mtbr member
    Ack! I'm a 5'1" female (28.75" inseam) and I just ordered a small Blur TRc from Competitive Cyclist. I would have loved to have tested the Furtado in a small. I went to an SC demo day and tried to get on the small Bronson, but it was just too big for me (don't want the "clam slam" - the ladies know what I'm talking about). I test rode the Blur TRc instead and loved it.

However, I do wish there was an XS Bronson that I could have tried - or the Small Furtado. That bike looks awesome. I don't care that it's women's specific - and I definitely don't want pike (though I do really like that orange). I just wish there were more 650b options for short people. I wanted to test ride one before buying the Blur, but I couldn't find one small enough.

I loved the TRc when I rode it (test rode the Pivot Mach 5.7 too) - just having a twinge of buyers remorse that I didn't wait for this line so I could test it as well. My bike isn't coming until around the second week in June, so that's probably why I'm questioning it. Then again, I guess there will always be a new bike release around the corner....

But props to SC and Juliana for releasing a line to get more women on bikes that are not all "shrink it and pink it".

mtbr member
    And only 125 MM of travel for a trail bike? Sigh.
    Dude 125mm is plenty of travel for a trail bike. It's the RIDER that makes the difference, not interwebs tweeds deciding that 125 isn't enough...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by laine View Post
    Ack! I'm a 5'1" female (28.75" inseam) and I just ordered a small Blur TRc from Competitive Cyclist. I would have loved to have tested the Furtado in a small. I went to an SC demo day and tried to get on the small Bronson, but it was just too big for me (don't want the "clam slam" - the ladies know what I'm talking about). I test rode the Blur TRc instead and loved it.

However, I do wish there was an XS Bronson that I could have tried - or the Small Furtado. That bike looks awesome. I don't care that it's women's specific - and I definitely don't want pike (though I do really like that orange). I just wish there were more 650b options for short people. I wanted to test ride one before buying the Blur, but I couldn't find one small enough.

I loved the TRc when I rode it (test rode the Pivot Mach 5.7 too) - just having a twinge of buyers remorse that I didn't wait for this line so I could test it as well. My bike isn't coming until around the second week in June, so that's probably why I'm questioning it. Then again, I guess there will always be a new bike release around the corner....

But props to SC and Juliana for releasing a line to get more women on bikes that are not all "shrink it and pink it".
    Competitive Cyclist has a very generous return policy. You could easily call them and swap it out. I'd go for the bigger wheels, stealth dropper routing and ISCG tabs in a heartbeat.

bog
    mtbr member

But still - where are the longer travel women-specific bikes? I have a friend who's very first mountain bike was a Small Pivot Firebird with 170mm travel, which she loved and she progressed phenomenally on - preferring to ride technical trails - the more technical the better. She eventually realized that the Small was too big, and opted for the Mach 5.7c, because it comes in XS. Small women, yes even newbie riders, might progress better on longer travel bikes.
    So by women's specific you just mean that want smaller frames right? I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum because I'm too tall for most of Santa Cruz's frames unless they come in an XXL (hint - 29ers only). I would love a Bronson but the XL is just too tall. It seems that NOBODY makes a good 150-160mm frame for anyone over 6'4" tall.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    But still - where are the longer travel women-specific bikes? them a bike that gives them confidence - not a short travel, sketchy, fear-inducing one. That's just my observation. Anyway, back to my real day job... lol.
    Shredchic,
    The issue I've had fitting my wife on bikes really comes to travel. She's 5'2" tall, and we've gone through a number of bikes.
    The Blur XC fit her well, but it was too short travel for some places we ride that are really rocky. That came after a Blur LT2, but the low leverage ratio didn't work well for her weight (110 lbs).
    So then we went BIG TRAVEL and got a small Nomad, which we still have. But the fork travel is so much that it puts the handlebars up very high compared to her seat height, which makes it hard to climb steep trails - the kind we ride in Downieville and Tahoe.

Anyway, she's got a Blur TRc and a Nomad now, and she always chooses the TRc, even when its really rough, because the bar height isn't as high, and the lighter frame and bike is more manueverable for her.

Big travel always comes with high handlebars, which makes fitting difficult for shorter riders.
    here we go again

mtbr member
    Pretty bummed on the lack of extra small options.

mtbr member
    looks like they moved away from clamped front derailleurs on the joplin (tallboy) to get the frame down to a small
    SC:12' Butcher (sold)
    SC:12' Superlight 29er (sold)
    SC:12' Juliana (wife's)
    SC:12' TBLT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    Competitive Cyclist has a very generous return policy. You could easily call them and swap it out. I'd go for the bigger wheels, stealth dropper routing and ISCG tabs in a heartbeat.
    It did cross my mind for a moment (Comp Cyclist isn't getting my frame color/size in until the first week in June), but I can't bring myself to spend that kind of money without riding the bike first. I've even never ridden a 27.5 - I've just never found one in my size. And while I'm sure I'd like the Furtado - it really does have almost identical geometry to the TRc - I think I'll be happy with my new ride. Though I do wish it had the stealth dropper routing.

Also, my new TRc will look pretty freaking awesome with the matte black frame, red spokes/hubs, red headset, and red pedals.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by laine View Post
    It did cross my mind for a moment (Comp Cyclist isn't getting my frame color/size in until the first week in June), but I can't bring myself to spend that kind of money without riding the bike first. I've even never ridden a 27.5 - I've just never found one in my size. And while I'm sure I'd like the Furtado - it really does have almost identical geometry to the TRc - I think I'll be happy with my new ride. Though I do wish it had the stealth dropper routing.

Also, my new TRc will look pretty freaking awesome with the matte black frame, red spokes/hubs, red headset, and red pedals.
    I'd contact competitive cyclist and be explicitly clear with them about what you want and what you are looking for. Tell them you are interested in the Juliana and see what they say . . . again, they do have a very generous return policy. Something else to think about is the possibility of putting 650b wheels on the TRc . . . lots have done it and it works very well.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast