Thread: The New Heckler

mtbr member

The New Heckler

After 20 years of riding hardtails (the last 14 years on my Trek 8000) and spending the past 2 years looking for a new ride I finally got a Heckler.

I can't believe how much I love this bike! Had I known the ride would be so sweet I would have gotten it years ago; I wasted two years researching other bikes.

It has truely changed my riding, I feel like a kid again and all I want to do is ride The Heckler!

Best part: The wife bought it for my birthday. Total surprise. I guess hanging a spec sheet on the fridge for the exact build I wanted paid off.

Here are some pictures from this past Sunday's ride: It's a section of the NEMBA trail in Borderland State Park in Massachusetts. I NEVER cleared this rock garden on my Trek... the Heckler made it almost easy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Congratulations

Congratulations on your new wheels. Dude, you made the right choice on picking the Heckler too! I've had quite a few full suspension bikes and my Heckler is the one I ride the most. You can ride virtually anything on a Heckler and at least for me, I always come home with a smile on my face. That bike will be good therapy for you! Not that you need it but you never know. Life can be a little stressful sometimes. Oh, and another thing. Sounds like you have an incredible wife! Does she have a unattached sister?

bump and grind
    Waah! I can't wait for my heckler!!!! I ordered it last month and its arriving first week of April (I hope). I got silver ano, just like you. And like you, I'm a long time hardtail rider. Maybe I should have posted a spec sheet on the fridge myself... Hmmm. Maybe I'll just stick a few mag pages of new cranks and wheels.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'm in this same party...been riding hardtail for years...finally made the move to full squish after too much research...waiting for my pc black heckler to arrive...can't wait

What are you looking at?

Good job! Welcome to the very exclusive Heckler club

Quote Originally Posted by toolsnob
    After 20 years of riding hardtails (the last 14 years on my Trek 8000) and spending the past 2 years looking for a new ride I finally got a Heckler.

I can't believe how much I love this bike! Had I known the ride would be so sweet I would have gotten it years ago; I wasted two years researching other bikes.

It has truely changed my riding, I feel like a kid again and all I want to do is ride The Heckler!

Best part: The wife bought it for my birthday. Total surprise. I guess hanging a spec sheet on the fridge for the exact build I wanted paid off.

Here are some pictures from this past Sunday's ride: It's a section of the NEMBA trail in Borderland State Park in Massachusetts. I NEVER cleared this rock garden on my Trek... the Heckler made it almost easy.
    Congrats... I love taking rock gardens on my Heckler(especially at high speeds) ENJOY
    Orange Heckler

Blue Pinscher

3 "fiddy" for short
    Quote Originally Posted by kweetech
    I'm in this same party...been riding hardtail for years...finally made the move to full squish after too much research...waiting for my pc black heckler to arrive...can't wait

Where did you end up getting your Heckler?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by toolsnob

Ahhhhh.. another satisfied Heckler customer. I don't know why anyone rides anything else...

Congrats toolsnob, and welcome to the Fellowship.

Got A Lust for Life...
    Kinda hard not being satisfied on one! I like the ano silver.
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by be350ka
    Where did you end up getting your Heckler?

ended up going through boutiquebikes ...

Binge Rider

Report!

What rear shock did you go with? Looks like you went with the Float R or RP3, or is it a DHX Air? Can you tell me how the rear shock is working for you. Also, is that a Float 130 or a TALAS (32mm Stantions) on the front? How is that working out for you? Finally, how much does it weigh? I am interested in building up a Heckler with the same suspension (Float / RP3 and TALAS) for epic trail riding. Thanks and enjoy the ride. SpineShank
    "Courage is fear holding on a minute longer" General Patton

[SIZE="1"]CAUTION: ADJUSTABLE SUSPENSION CONFUSES ME[/SIZE]

Freeriding Feline

Smile Ano Silver

That color is hot, I just saw it yesterday ant my LBS. Congratulations and have fun!
    Oh yeah, can we see a pic of the whole bike?
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Spine Shank
    What rear shock did you go with? Looks like you went with the Float R or RP3, or is it a DHX Air? Can you tell me how the rear shock is working for you. Also, is that a Float 130 or a TALAS (32mm Stantions) on the front? How is that working out for you? Finally, how much does it weigh? I am interested in building up a Heckler with the same suspension (Float / RP3 and TALAS) for epic trail riding. Thanks and enjoy the ride. SpineShank
    My M-size Heckler, ano silver, with RP3 and Talas rlc weight 12,5kg (27,8 lbs)

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

mine is way heavier

My M-size Heckler, ano silver, with RP3 and Pike 454 air weight 14,9kg

mtbr member

The Build

Quote Originally Posted by Spine Shank
    I have a Fox Float R in the back and a Fox Float 130 RLC up front (Rock Shox TORA 302 U-turn was stock). The Fox shocks work great for the type of riding I do (aggressive X-country). The bike is very well balanced, no bob and plenty of travel when I need it.

The rest of the bike is set up with the D-AM kit as spec'd by Santa Cruz.

Below are the parts I changed:

Saddle: Terry Ti Fly
    Grips: Oury Lock-on
    Tires: Kenda Nevegal 2.1 Stick-E with Stan's No-Tubes Conversion
    Pedals: Shimano 959
    Headset: Chris King
    Big Ring: Gamut Bash Guard
    Skewers: Chromoly shaft Bolt-ons
    Seat Post Clamp: Hope
    Stem Cap: Purely Custom (Custom for me)

The bike weighs an even 29 pounds, it was 32.7 before the changes.

Every positive thing you've heard/read about the Heckler is true, it's a phenominal bike.
    Simple design, solid build, versatile and a blast to ride!
    Attached Images Attached Images