mtbr member

New front shock for Bullit?

I'm thinking of updating my front shock this year. I currently have a 03 Z1 FR w/ ETA (130 mm). I want to make the jump to 150mm but without gaining much weight. I like Zocchi's as I've had very few problems with them. I've been looking at the All mountain, Z150, Z1 150mm, and 66? I weigh 210lbs and am pretty hard on my bikes. Also, I do a lot of climbing so I want something that will still get me up those inclines. Anybody have experience with these on a Bullit? Recommendations? Thanks in advance...

T

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MRfire
    I'm thinking of updating my front shock this year. I currently have a 03 Z1 FR w/ ETA (130 mm). I want to make the jump to 150mm but without gaining much weight. I like Zocchi's as I've had very few problems with them. I've been looking at the All mountain, Z150, Z1 150mm, and 66? I weigh 210lbs and am pretty hard on my bikes. Also, I do a lot of climbing so I want something that will still get me up those inclines. Anybody have experience with these on a Bullit? Recommendations? Thanks in advance...

T
    If weight is a concern i'd stay away from the Z 150's. Look into an 05' Z1 FR or an 06' z1 light - both 150mm travel. I run a 05' Z1 FR and am quite happy with the performance, my buddy rides on a 06' Z1 light - neither of us care
    about weight on our bikes. Go to Marzocchi's website and you can do a weight comparison.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Go for a VAN 36

No experience on a Bullit.....but I thought long and hard about upgrading my Fox 130's (with heavy spring) on my Heckler. I looked and tried the Z1 and eventually spend the extra cash and got the Van 36 RC2....compared to the Z1 it's super push and stiff, plus less faffing about IMO! I've not had a shot of the 66, but I was put off by the weight up frontĀ¬

I'm a heavy rider (215 lbs more with gear) and even with the green spring .....it really suprised me on the uphills, obviously a bit taller up front.....but I think I found it easier than the 130 before.....I think it's the stiffness !! :_) ......I climbed over 2900 feet up singletrack and drovers trails last Sunday...I was starting to look forward to the steep uphills.......but it blows away anything else I've tried on the downhills! :-)

Hope this helps you?

mtbr member

T
    I have an '03 Bullit and used to have the same fork as you. A few months ago I swapped it out for an '06 66 Light ETA and couldn't be happier. More travel (170 mm) and WAY stiffer. It is heavier to be sure, but I've not found it to be an issue, and I do plenty of climbing.

TNC
    noMAD man

This one worked well.

T
    The Van 36 was just about ideal on my '03 Bullit here. I've had a few forks on this bike, and this one was a perfect match as it relates to rear travel and geometry issues. I also wouldn't be afraid whatsoever of a Marz 66SL. That appears to be a sweet fork with lots of adjustability. With this Van 36, my Bullit climbed well, and the geometry was spot-on for just about all kinds of riding.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. Yah, I would love nothing more then a Fox 36, however, I don't know if I can blow that kind of cash right now. What about the Zocchi 66VF? I see Jenson has these on closeout for $299. What do you think I can get for my used 03 Z1 FR, ETA? Maybe I should just spend the extra $150 or so and get the Fox....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks guys. Yah, I would love nothing more then a Fox 36, however, I don't know if I can blow that kind of cash right now. What about the Zocchi 66VF? I see Jenson has these on closeout for $299. What do you think I can get for my used 03 Z1 FR, ETA? Maybe I should just spend the extra $150 or so and get the Fox....
    Personally I wouldn't want any Zoke fork w/ a VF damper - no adjustments (other than oil weight , springs) . Spend the extra money you will be happier after the switch.

mtbr member
    I don't know whether the Jenson deal you cite is for an '05 or '06 66, but be aware that the '05 is a really tall fork. They redesigned the crown for '06 and the fork is 40 mm shorter axle-to-crown. If you're doing mostly DH the taller fork would be fine and you can find some nice deals on '05 66 RCs. But if you're doing more XC/FR type stuff with climbing, I'd pony up for an '06. Bicycle Nut as them for $670-690, depending on model.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    TNC,

I have a 2000 Bullit with a Z1 fork and Fox Vanilla RC shock.

Is the 2003 the same geomentry. I noticed a DHX Air in rear. What size shock or model number did you buy to fit. I may upgrade both the fork and shock. Also what length is the stem

I am 190lbs and 6'3"

Added notes:
    Just bought the 06 BlurXC Large. Love it. Want to work on the Bullit, it is a great bike too. Make it a better climber. It has all XTR, Crossmax SL rims, above suspension, 15 degree 130mm neck. I want to change to 90mm to bring me back a bit.

doug

TNC
    noMAD man

Slight differences.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTortoise
    TNC,

I have a 2000 Bullit with a Z1 fork and Fox Vanilla RC shock.

Is the 2003 the same geomentry. I noticed a DHX Air in rear. What size shock or model number did you buy to fit. I may upgrade both the fork and shock. Also what length is the stem

I am 190lbs and 6'3"

Added notes:
    Just bought the 06 BlurXC Large. Love it. Want to work on the Bullit, it is a great bike too. Make it a better climber. It has all XTR, Crossmax SL rims, above suspension, 15 degree 130mm neck. I want to change to 90mm to bring me back a bit.

doug
    The '99-'02 models were basically 6" models while everything later was closer to 7". In their OEM configurations with the OEM sized rear shocks, both model series are pretty similar geometry-wise. The older models will accept the longer rear shock of the later models, but there is a change in geometry and an angle induced into the swingarm that makes the two series bikes handle a bit differently.

On my Bullits the silver one is an '03 and the red one is a '99...the '99 being basically just like yours. The '99 works very well with the 8.5 X 2.5 rear shock that comes on '03 and later models IMO...as long as you have at least a 6" fork on the front. Obviously the adjustable shuttle on the Bullit allows you to play with geometry in another way, but I like mine a little slack, so I run it in the most forward position. I've gotten very partial to these modern piggyback air shocks for my Bullits, but I've tried the 5th E and DHX coils too. That's a Manitou 4-Way Air on my '99 model. That's a 6" Z150SL fork modified in one leg to full coil/HSCV and the other leg still has the +/- air chambers. 32.6lbs. in this pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks TNC

Which of these lengths for the DHX Air should I get

Lengths: 7.5x2.0", 7.875x2.0", 7.875x2.25", 8.5x2.5", 8.75x2.5", 9.5x3.0"

The fork is easy. However the shock for a Bullit to be a bit like the Blur XC but with longer travel, how should I set up the rear shock.

I like the Vanilla RC in the rear (The bike is plush and nice. The old Z1 is a bit wobbly though. I think the new Talas or Van forks will fix this), but I would like to give more kick to the climb and that is why I like the idea of the DHX Air

Opions please

doug

TNC
    noMAD man

Which fork?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTortoise
    Thanks TNC

Which of these lengths for the DHX Air should I get

Lengths: 7.5x2.0", 7.875x2.0", 7.875x2.25", 8.5x2.5", 8.75x2.5", 9.5x3.0"

The fork is easy. However the shock for a Bullit to be a bit like the Blur XC but with longer travel, how should I set up the rear shock.

I like the Vanilla RC in the rear (The bike is plush and nice. The old Z1 is a bit wobbly though. I think the new Talas or Van forks will fix this), but I would like to give more kick to the climb and that is why I like the idea of the DHX Air

Opions please

doug
    What fork do you intend to use? This makes all the difference in the world IMO. I'm throughly sold on the DHX-Air at this point...on my Bullit and my Nomad. The length would be the only point of discussion now. Oh...on one point...for a Bullit I'd never really consider anything less than a 7.875 X 2.25. That shock gives your bike 5.8" of travel. Why even have a Bullit with less travel than that? The 2" stroke shock only yields 5.25" of travel. The 8.5 X 2.5 shock gives you an actual 6.5" of travel. This works really well with a 6" or longer fork.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks TNC

It will 6" fork. Either a Vanilla 36 RC2 or a Talas 36 RC2

I will get the 8.5x2.5 shock.

This hopefully give the Bullit a better climbing ability, not that it is bad. I just want to make it a 6" Blur XC with more plushness and higher BB. So this should work hopefully. I am not an extreme mtn biker.

doug