Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

New Fox rear shock mounting hardware

Was curious if any of you have tried the new hardware and if so how is it? Does anyone know the approximate price. Was thinking about ordering some for my rp23 on a blur ltc. supposedly there are no pressed in parts in the eyelets etc. here is a link to what i'm talking about for those unfamiliar.

Mounting Hardware | New for 2013 | Bike | FOX

mtbr member
    It's pretty nice actually, there is no DU bushing in the eyelets now, just a plastic reducer with a aluminum sleeve running through the center. Very simple and effective.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    thanks for the response. any idea on the price?

b a n n e d
    Its cheap. I paid $50 shipped for both eyelets and an rp23 rebuild kit, so I think they were like $15 a piece. Order directly from Fox.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    do you know how does it compere to needle bearings from rwc?

b a n n e d
    I don't. I was going to get the needle bearings, but honestly after I started reading reviews of slop, etc. from the RWC kits, I'd trust Fox to provide a better fit. Plus its cheaper and easier (no bearing press needed with the new kits from Fox).

mtbr member
    I had a bearing kit on before, although it wasn't an RWC kit (it was an ABI Kit), it had a lot of slop. So much that it made me uneasy to keep running it.

As far as how it compares to the new Fox hardware, it's tough to tell I have it on a new shock, so it's not really an apples to apples comparison.

mtbr member
    As appealing as the idea of needle bearings was, I also went with the new fox reducers. I don't have a ton of time on them, but they seem to be great. They are supposed to last quite a bit longer.

You'll still need some form of press (homemade or otherwise) to get your old DUs out if upgrading.

To be fair, shock eyelets are not an application where needle bearings shine... high load, partial rotation lends itself more to bushings than bearings. Bearings are great in wheels... for things under constant rotation. I think Fox probably went the right way on these.
    Last edited by robsetsfire; 07-20-2012 at 04:23 PM.

mtbr member
    About time they started using something like this. They look similar to the hardware cane creek uses for the CCDB. DU bushings just don't last long.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Just blew up a month old RCW kit on my Tracer2, the bearing has tons of slop and was making all sorts of racket in the rough stuff. I guess next step is the new fox hardware.
    "Listen here you beautiful *****, I'm about to **** you up with some truth"

mtbr member
    Anyone know if this is similar to the Elka setup? I like their setup quite a bit...super low stiction and no slop.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Does .anybody have more input on the needle bearings vs new fox bushings?
    Does anybody actually like the needle bearings on their Santa Cruz? anybody with them on a Tallboy? Any play?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Does .anybody have more input on the needle bearings vs new fox bushings?
    Does anybody actually like the needle bearings on their Santa Cruz? anybody with them on a Tallboy? Any play?
    I installed the RWC needle bearing kit on my 2012 TBc with the RP23. I noticed greater small bump compliance at lower speeds. I've been satisfied. No slop, but I only ride XC. However I am 6'3" and 220 fully loaded, so the bearing is getting a workout, but not like the DH riders would work it.
    Will trade for some chicken.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    finally got around to getting the new fox hardware after wearing through the shock bushings. i noticed the new stuff has a lot of plastic including the thing black spacers that are also plastic. how are these going to wear compare to the aluminum stuff?

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by jpk1080 View Post
    finally got around to getting the new fox hardware after wearing through the shock bushings. i noticed the new stuff has a lot of plastic including the thing black spacers that are also plastic. how are these going to wear compare to the aluminum stuff?
    Only time will tell. I can say with certainty, however, that the ability to replace these without tools makes it all worth it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    yeah you are def right about the installation being a breeze. very convenient just worried about these wearing down pretty fast.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I've had the new mounting hardware for the last 3 months and still working great. No play in DU bushing and still very smooth.

Cheers
    Mike

greedy
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    Order directly from Fox.
    I may be looking in the wrong place, but I can't find these mounting hardware kits anywhere in Fox's web store. Can anybody give me a lead?

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by have2ride2day View Post
    I may be looking in the wrong place, but I can't find these mounting hardware kits anywhere in Fox's web store. Can anybody give me a lead?

You aren't the only one! AmbassadorHawg also had quite the dilemma ordering his as well. You just gotta call Fox directly and tell them what bike you've got and they'll get you sorted.

As for longevity, Fox claims longer life with these things and to be honest, the ease of installation and low cost (~$15) per eyelet make these a win over needle bearings so far. I'd have to see DRAMMATIC improvement in some regard to try the RWC kits.

mtbr member
    As for longevity, Fox claims longer life with these things and to be honest, the ease of installation and low cost (~$15) per eyelet make these a win over needle bearings so far. I'd have to see DRAMMATIC improvement in some regard to try the RWC kits.
    Got needles on a TBLTc, a Blur LTc, and a DH bike. No play, I pack it full of heavy grease...and had to increase the air pressure in the shock and a couple of clicks to the compression damping.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    thats good news at least. installed everything today. it all went together pretty easily. now if i can just figure out if my talas has the creak everyone has warned people about.

greedy
    You just gotta call Fox directly and tell them what bike you've got and they'll get you sorted.
    Thanks. The BLTc that I'm building up now has them on it already, but I like to have spare parts on hand, especially if they are cheap and can ruin my riding for a few days if I don't start looking for them until I need them.
    Addicted to the Classifieds

Chamois Dropper
    I installed them in my wife's bike because I changed shocks. It was a breeze to put them in and they seem nice. They will run you about $30 for both ends. Mine are on the way, so I've yet to see if they make a difference. I emailed fox with the bike and shock model and a day or so later they sent me the part numbers. I called with the numbers and they sent them out.
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by jpk1080 View Post
    thats good news at least. installed everything today. it all went together pretty easily. now if i can just figure out if my talas has the creak everyone has warned people about.
    It's pretty noticeable . . . flip the bike upside down and try to rock the fork fore and aft. You'll hear it for sure if its there. Check the thread on this in the shock/suspension forum as there's a video depicting the noise.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I know people have had issues with the RWC kits and some play in the bearings. After 7 months of riding I also developed the same thing, for the record I had the + inner ring installed. I email RWC about the play and it turns out they now make a ++ inner ring. They sent me a pair and ever since then it's been butter smooth, about a year on them now.

I'm sure the new Fox kit is great but for me it's going to be hard to beat the added small bump compliance with the RWC needle bearings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast