Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    i just ordered the rwc kit for my blt2. i just ordered one though to go on the rear eyelet. do the other folks here with the rwc kit only put it on the rear or does it work better to have it on the front as well?

i was burning through the bushings about 1 every month or so. hopefully i'll be a lucky winner and get one that remains tight.

e

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The front mount doesn't rotate as much as the rear mount, so the lower mount is all you need to worry about. However, I hate to rain on your parade, but the mighty PUSH does not recommend needle bearings for the shock mount. PUSH says a bushing is the proper tool for that job.

I went from the stock bushings to the supposedly superior RockShox 3-piece axle with bushing(after 7-8 months when play developed in the lower mount due to a worn bushing). After four months, the RockShox system was still working fine, but I switched to the new Fox system ($16 for the lower mount). I could tell no difference between the new Fox system and the 3-piece RockShox axle.

As for the new Fox system being "totally worth it", a bushing costs $1, and a tool to remove and install a bushing is something like $45. So for $48 you can remove and install 3 bushings. Three of the new Fox systems also will cost you $48 (3 x $16). But thereafter, if you go the tool route, it will only cost you $1 to replace a bushing, where it will cost your $16 for another new Fox system. For what it's worth, a mech at an LBS told me that in his experience the new Fox system does not last longer than a regular bushing. Which system is ultimately cheaper will depend on how frequently your bushings wear out.
    Last edited by happyriding; 11-20-2012 at 06:41 PM.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by happyriding View Post
    The front mount doesn't rotate as much as the rear mount, so the lower mount is all you need to worry about. However, I hate to rain on your parade, but the mighty PUSH does not recommend needle bearings for the shock mount. PUSH says a bushing is the proper tool for that job.

I went from the stock bushings to the supposedly superior RockShox 3-piece axle with bushing(after 7-8 months when play developed in the lower mount due to a worn bushing). After four months, the RockShox system was still working fine, but I switched to the new Fox system ($16 for the lower mount). I could tell no difference between the new Fox system and the 3-piece RockShox axle.

As for the new Fox system being "totally worth it", a bushing costs $1, and a tool to remove and install a bushing is something like $45. So for $48 you can remove and install 3 bushings. Three of the new Fox systems also will cost you $48 (3 x $16). But thereafter, if you go the tool route, it will only cost you $1 to replace a bushing, where it will cost your $16 for another new Fox system. For what it's worth, a mech at an LBS told me that in his experience the new Fox system does not last longer than a regular bushing. Which system is ultimately cheaper will depend on how frequently your bushings wear out.
    I've been testing the new Fox system for the last eight months. I think it's a good solution to a problem Fox created by using those horrible "Hat Style" reducers. I also use and recommend the Rock Shox 3-piece reducer system. They work simple as that. The things I do not like about the new Fox system are: (1.) They're noisy but lubrication helps......wish they had grease ports like Turner frames. (2.) The reducer sleeves are impossible to remove.....not sure if I got a bad pair but mine were very tight. They will wear out, mine show some wear, just not sure the usable life yet. As a side note, I like Rocky Mountain's new system......

I think if you're having problems with premature DU Bushing wear then try this system. If you're not I would just leave well enough alone unless you're one of those people that needs the latest and greatest.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2