mtbr member
    Oct 2004

New Fork for my heckler

It was time to change my old TALAS RLC, so i'm thinking in a new 5-6 inch fork.

My favourites are:

Pike 426 or even the 409

Manitou Sherman Firefly

Z1 FR SL (2006)

love the 36 van too, but it's too expensive... Costs 2 Pike's, 1.5 Z1 ...

What do you recommend for a trail use bike ? ????

Thanks!

Luis (Portugal)

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Z1 SL for sure. 4.3 lbs and pedals very well.

mtbr member

have you tried having your Fox PUSHED

You might want to consider having your fork PUSHED or rebuilt. You will have to get a new front wheel unless you decide on a AM1. My Talas was much improved after having it PUSHED. It handled fast choppy hits much better than stock. It should prove cheaper unless you have to change out the fork legs. Mine had to be due to wear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    i'm not interested in mantain the TALAS, it's a great fork, for sure, but it became a little "lighter" for the trail use... That's why i am looking for a higher fork, about 6 inch...

Thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fiat127

My favourites are:

Pike 426 or even the 409

Manitou Sherman Firefly

Z1 FR SL (2006)

Thanks!

Luis (Portugal)

PIKE IT !
    For sure. The Pike fits the Heckler like a glove. Adjustable travel, a very smart lockout platform, and most important - 20 mm hub with an ingenious super quick QR !

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    My dougt is specially between Z1 and the Pike.

Z1 has more travel and taller, maybe more reliable...
    Pike is plush and strong, and the maxle is a plus...

just don't know what's the best one...

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fiat127

My favourites are:

Pike 426 or even the 409

Manitou Sherman Firefly

Z1 FR SL (2006)

Thanks!

Luis (Portugal)
    I went from a TALAS to a Pike on my Heckler a year ago. The Pike is a perfect fork for the Heckler. I would run about 115-120mm on xc stuff, 125-130 for general trail riding, and 140 when I wanted to get stupid. The Maxel is a huge plus as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Firefly

I see that you have alot of people voting for the Pike, but I had a Firefly on my Heckler, I it handled a straight drop of just over 6 feet, but still was a capable All mountain fork. I will not lie, it is not a XC fork, it is heavy. I switched out to a fox 130 RLC and I regret it every day. Also, right now some online companies have last year's Firefly with SPV for about 300-400. The firefly was a great fork, you shouldn't pass it up, especially on sale.

JCH

fraid of heights
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaMan
    PIKE IT !
    For sure. The Pike fits the Heckler like a glove. Adjustable travel, a very smart lockout platform, and most important - 20 mm hub with an ingenious super quick QR !
    I second the pike it suggestion, the fork is amazing. stout enough to take big hits but light and suple enough to trail ride all day long. And the maxle is awsome!!!

29er wannabe

Pike Team

I vote for the Pike as well. It's been perfect on my Heckler for the past year in the wet Pacific Northwest.

Gary

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I have always ridden the FireFly on my heckler, swapping out to a 454 dual air Pike this year. The sherman is probly the strongest of the bunch with great freeride dampning system. You can get great deals on them now too. If you have the cash I would get a Pike like myself. Z.1 light with ETA would be pretty sweet too but kinda expensive, and heavier than people think, like 5 pounds min, zoke' weights r way the heck off, but who really cares a pound or 2 if you r gonna be freeridn.

_
    Mar 2004
    I went from a 5 inch 03 Marzocchi Z1 FR (coil) to a 6 inch Manitou Sherman Firefly Plus and love it. I can adjust the travel for climbs and still get travel out of it, the Zoke just locked out and didn't have any travel. Anyhow, I'm about 200lbs with a full camelbak and still have yet to bottom this thing out, biggest drop I've done is about 4-5 feet so far...This is me doing about a 4 footer, the guy zoomed in too much on the shot.

Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I've recently swapped a TALAS for a coil sprung Pike on my Heckler. I can't say enough good things about this fork, it really does suit the Heckler perfectly.
    The fox was a great fork but was just a bit too short and flexy for the Heckler. With the Pike the front is now just the right height and soooo much stiffer. The features on the Pike for the money are just fantastic. Adjustable travel (not quite as easy to adjust on the fly as the Fox), motion control (a brilliant semi-lockout function), the Maxle is brilliant.
    The only downside was having to get a new wheel with through axle hub. But the price of the Pike plus new wheel is still less than some of the competition.
    One of my riding buddies has the air sprung Pike on a 5-Spot. It has almost the same feel and performance as the coil with greater adjustability and does weigh significantly less. If you've got the bucks then the air fork is probably the best option of all.

Creepy tooth fairy
    I have to second andyecc's comments. I just switched, reluctantly to a Pike coil when my old Z1 was in dire need of repair. My history with Rock Shox products has been far less than stellar, but after trying the Pike on a epic ride through Dupont forest I was sold. I have the heavy spring kit installed which is probably a must for clydesdales such as me. Its tunning ability and balance with the Heckler's tail is spot on. The design and the internals are refreshingly simple and of course the Maxle is easily the best 20mm QR that I have used. I have only had it on for a half a dozen rides so time will tell if holds up, but so far it looks promising. Plus dropping a pound off the front of the bike is nice compared to the old Zoke.

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by JCHKeys
    I see that you have alot of people voting for the Pike, but I had a Firefly on my Heckler, I it handled a straight drop of just over 6 feet, but still was a capable All mountain fork. I will not lie, it is not a XC fork, it is heavy. I switched out to a fox 130 RLC and I regret it every day. Also, right now some online companies have last year's Firefly with SPV for about 300-400. The firefly was a great fork, you shouldn't pass it up, especially on sale.

JCH
    I hope I don't regret it too. I just sold my Talas in favor of a 2005 AM1. I considered "unlowering" the firefly I run on my park bike (lowered it to just under 80mm) but decided the Heckler would feel better with a little taller fork like the Zoke. I know the Marz is heavier (alot) but I think the coil/air combo and taller fork will feel more at home on the Heckler than the Fox ever did.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I went from a Fox van 125 to 6" boxxer to a sherman firefly and was never totally happy until I slapped on a Pike 454 Air U-Turn about two months ago. It is killer for all conditions. Don't get a sherman if you care about small bump compliance or want more than two travel settings. My $.02.

mtbr member

TALUS R on the Heckler

I originally had the Talur R on the Heckler. At first I really liked it but then started getting leakage from the seals. It was sent back to FOX but I still saw it on the stantions. I then picked up a Sherman Flick on ebay real cheap (6"). It's awesome. I would definetly recommend it or another Manitou fork. By the way the Talus is on my hardtail commuter bike and has oil all over the stantions. I only ride this bike on the street.

FishZapper
    Go pike and dont look back. I have one on my bullit and it eats up all that I throw at it, plus its light to boot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Hey there,

The pike is a great for with super feel. Go pike and ride....

-scoon