mtbr member
    Apr 2008

New Bullit with Fox 36 or similar

Anybody riding a new Bullit built up with a Fox 36?

I am currently riding an '04 Heckler and I am considering buying a Bullit frame and swapping out the parts, including my 36.

If anybody has a new Bullit with a Fox 36, Marzocchi 55 or any other fork of this caliber (Lyrik?), I would like hear how it performs. Please also tell me what kind of riding you use the bike for. Thanks.

mtbr member
    I have a new bullit with the 180mm domain on it. The bike feels great just in the way you feel sitting on it not even moving. Coming from a GT i-drive xc bike it felt great. It has alot to do with the long front shox. I see in alot of posts here that the bullit frame was designed for a long travel shox or atleast feel better. The 36 you have is it the
    160mm model? If so i think it would work fine. I think most any shox would work fine it all depends on what type of riding you would do. The rock shoxs are actually a 35mm sanction not a 36 like the fox. One mm. The bigest deal would be the over all length. I think you will be fine. give it a day or so the guys on this board have helped me many times in the past. This is the first place I come when i need advise on my ride.

The type of riding I do is everything from very tecnical tight bumpy single track, 14mi trips, nice jumps and drops to quick Western NC downhill. The bike will do almost everything for you. Not a bad climber either at 33lbs. If your looking for a bike that you can show up at any trail anywhere and not worry if your bike can handle it...this would be the bike to show up with.(Not to put down any other bike)
    Good luck

Au'Right!
    Nov 2004
    I'm riding a Bullit with a 36 Talas up front and it does the job well. The wheelbase is very short and agile with this fork combined with the steeper headangle. Makes fora great singletrack ride. For the steeper stuff and hucks the feel is defiantly not ideal, te bike was built around a 180mm fork so you do lose a little stability in that reguard. For a heavy duty trail bike this is an awesome combination. If your looking for a freeride machine you may want to change out the fork for an 07 Zokes model (steer clear of 08) . My 2 cents. Oh and I've been riding this bike for a year in southern Utah.
    Problem: "Bike has trouble going up steep hills."
    Fix: Recommend pressing harder on the pedals.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the replies, guys.

Geinsteder; Yes, the 36 I have has 160mm travel.

Basically, I will not be able to afford a new frame and fork at the same time. I will probably ride the Bullit frame with the 36 until the wife says I can get a new fork. Like my current Heckler, this would be my main trail bike, used for everything. Thanks for the reassurance!

mtbr member
    I think it will work great. That 36 was the shox I wanted but at around $1,000 bucks ust too much for me. Same boat as you.