Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member

New Blur XC Frame.

After riding and racing my beloved Superlight for 2 years, I decided it was time to go with the new $h!t. So I ordered a Blur XC frame a couple of months ago - knowing that it sometimes takes SC a while before they get their stuff sent out. I happened to be swinging by the LBS today, and lo and behold - my frame had arrived! Now, because I was so anxious to start building it up, I didn't really get a chance to get any quality pics. So this one will have to do (too bad about the glare). Anyway, it's an absolutely gorgeous frame, and I cannot wait to ride and race it (if all goes well that'll happen this weekend). I will post more (better) pics and a race/ride report of it after it's built up!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Nice man, Is that the anodized silver With the laser logo ? i just order mine, they told me around 4 weeks......

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

very nice

cant wait to see the build up pics and get a ride report.

mtbr member

Mine Built UP

This the only picture I have of mine so far. (camera is screwed up, but I will post a better one this week) Ano Steel Blue w/ Laser Graphics. I love it. It is a truly amazing bike...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

The actual Weight?

I'm curious to know the actual weight of your new frame. I'm septic about the weight claimed by Santacruz.
    Claude l.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I test-drove a Blur XC and was amazed with its weight - seemed like I was riding on air. Of course, it was built up with full XTR and had a $4500 price tag. But it also felt like I could crush it like a beer can on any drops of significance.

Still, I ride a 2004 Giant NRS1 now built up light for XC racing, and the BLurXC owned it in comparison.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by claude l.
    I'm curious to know the actual weight of your new frame. I'm septic about the weight claimed by Santacruz.
    Claude l.
    This bike is just as light if not lighter than SC makes it seem. It is an even 5lbs w/ Ano finish. I have not weighed it built up yet with the XT group. According to the guy at SC that I spoke to this bike was 1st designed for the Luna Chix last season and the WTB guys are now racing it, as well. The top and down tubes are a considerably smaller diameter than my girlfriends Superlight.

The first time I actually had a chance to get on it when it was done I was blown away with how light it was. It made my ETSX-70 feel like DH Sled. I cannot wait to see what it is like when I put on a new wheelset.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by justsaychu
    Nice man, Is that the anodized silver With the laser logo ? i just order mine, they told me around 4 weeks......
    Yeah, that's the color. It's fantastic. At first I didn't really like that you can't see the white laser etching on it unless you are looking realy close, but it has grown on me. I love the anodized finish and overall I'm VERY impressed with what a sweet machine this is. I took her for the inaugural ride tonight and I'm working on a real ride report with pics and everything, but let me just say that this thing kicks tremendous a$$. Tremendous!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by soOK
    This the only picture I have of mine so far. (camera is screwed up, but I will post a better one this week) Ano Steel Blue w/ Laser Graphics. I love it. It is a truly amazing bike...
    Sweet. The blue looks really nice, too. I'm curious, where did you stick the chain protector adhesive thingy that came with the bike? It seems too small for the job, and I can't figure out if it's supposed to go on top or on the bottom of the chainstay? I'll post pics of mine soon - meanwhile I'm enjoying the hell out of this thing!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by claude l.
    Claude l.
    Santa Cruz claims 5 lbs even for the Blur XC in their ads/catalog. But that is of course for a medium frame. My large frame came in at about 5.6 lbs on the LBS' somewhat crappy scale. I would've liked to weigh it on a nice, reliable scale, but unfortunately I didn't have the time, she's all built up already! Might have to wait until weightweenies get's their hands on one! I'll tell you one thing - it feels and rides pretty damn light! And that's after having ridden a Superlight for several years! We'll see how it goes during my race this coming weekend

Trail rider and racer
    Lovely stuff. Gotta like the plain and simple colour too - looks neat.
    Trev!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LacticAddict
    It seems too small for the job, and I can't figure out if it's supposed to go on top or on the bottom of the chainstay?
    I didn't use it because I want to go with something more substantial. Any suggestions???

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I'm really surprised at how much less bend there is in the top tube compared to the classic blur and the blur LT.

Just curious - how tall are you and what size are you riding?
    Last edited by MtBkrJoe; 07-29-2005 at 02:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtBkrJoe
    I'm really surprised at how much less bend there is in the top tube compared to the classic blur and the blur LT.

I am riding the Medium frame. I am 5' 7" but all torso. I have limited standover but I needed that long top tube. I am very comfortable on the bike, poor standover is something I got used to as soon as I got into mountain bikes. I sold my 16.5" ETSX-70 because I felt cramped when in the saddle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtBkrJoe

Mine is a large and it has a bit more of a bend in the top tube. I'm 5'-11", BTW.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by soOK
    I didn't use it because I want to go with something more substantial. Any suggestions???
    Yeah, I decided not to put it on either. Instead I got some clear electrical tape at my local hardware store and wrapped it in that. We'll see how it holds up...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hi fellow Cruzers!

I just joined the club and purchased a new Blur xc with Fox RP3 rear shock. Steel blue anodized; medium size; 5.2lbs on a digital postage scale with shock, no seat collar.

I will have it built up in a couple days! I can't wait.

Ps. HELP! Anyone know what the black cable things are used for...the grey ones I can understand are for the hydraulic rear line.....but for the life of me, I can't imagine what to do with the black one.
    Last edited by GspotRider; 08-13-2005 at 10:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GspotRider
    Hi fellow Cruzers!

I just joined the club and purchased a new Blur xc with Fox RP3 rear shock. Steel blue anodized; medium size; 5.2lbs on a digital postage scale with shock, no seat collar.

I will have it built up in a couple days! I can't wait.

Ps. HELP! Anyone know what the black cable things are used for...the grey ones I can understand are for the hydraulic rear line.....but for the life of me, I can't imagine what to do with the black one.
    Hey man,

The black one fits over the rear brake cable and clips it into the guide on the chainstay. Enjoy your new ride. I just got back from doing a solo 24 on my mine, and the bike was absolutely perfect. Race report to follow - after I get some more sleep :P

So where are the pics of your new XC?

mtbr member

Is there any different??

Hello All

Just curious, is there any differences in the Blur and Blur XC?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by HotzKiss
    Hello All

Just curious, is there any differences in the Blur and Blur XC?

The Blur XC frame is the new ultra-light Virtual Pivot Point full suspension frame, designed for XC racing and all around XC use.
    2005 Blur XC Frame Details -
    *4.5-inch rear wheel travel
    *Uses our VPP multi pivot design
    *Compatible fork sizes 80mm to 105mm.
    *Recommended rear max tire size 2.5"
    *Disc brake rotors up to 6" max.
    *Frame weight with 5th Element Air rear shock - Approx 5.1lbs.
    *Frame weight with Fox Float RP3 rear shock - Approx 5.2lbs.
    *Frame weight with Manitou Swinger Air rear shock - Approx 5.25lbs.
    http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/bicycles/blur-xc.php
    The Blur XC also comes in a size range to fit smaller body types starting
    with a new XS frame size –
    http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/bic...r-xc.php?geo=1

The Blur "Classic" frame is designed for all-around XC use.
    2005 Blur Frame Details -
    *4.5-inch (115mm) rear wheel travel
    *Uses our VPP multi pivot design
    *Compatible fork sizes 80mm to 105mm.
    *Recommended rear max tire size 2.5"
    *Disc brake rotors up to 6" max.
    *Frame weight with 5th Element Air rear shock - Approx 5.7lbs.
    *Frame weight with Fox Float R rear shock - Approx 5.8lbs.
    *Frame weight with Fox Float RP3 rear shock - Approx 5.8lbs.
    *Frame weight with Manitou Swinger Air rear shock - Approx 5.85lbs.
    http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/bicycles/blur.php

Ill hopefully have mine in my sweaty little hands on friday. I got a silver anno version and hope to do the Cape Epic on it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    She lives! I weighed it to be 23.3lbs on my digital bathroom scale (sorry best I could do).

Had my first test ride on the new Blur xc today. "Smooth" was my first thought. Fairly efficient was my second though. Still some motion back there but not enough to feel sluggish like some of my bikes.

My Fox F100x is much harsher than the blur xc when the fox rp3 is in open mode; in propedal front and rear are similar, but the rear is still plusher. In full propedal, the rear is slightly harsher than the fork.

Riding down some single track, I love it in full open mode!!!! I still groove on propedal. Full propedal, well I can still fly, but it loses its charm.

I have a gut feeling I will leave the rear shock in light propedal for most races. Perhaps using the full propedal on long fireroad climbs....although, I'm not sure if it is worth thinking about as the monkey motion seems pretty well in check in light propedal mode.

I love the fact I can get it to be super plush by turning the propedal off. I am used to a specialized epic that I loved, but never had a plush and relaxed ride that I often love during my .....epic rides!

Seem just what I wanted. Racy but fun!

PS Thanks Lactic for telling me what the black thingymajiggy was!
    Last edited by GspotRider; 08-18-2005 at 11:34 AM.

from Portugal
    She lives! I weighed it to be 23.3lbs on my digital bathroom scale (sorry best I could do).

Had my first test ride on the new Blur xc today. "Smooth" was my first thought. Fairly efficient was my second though. Still some motion back there but not enough to feel sluggish like some of my bikes.

My Fox F100x is much harsher than the blur xc when the fox rp3 is in open mode; in propedal front and rear are similar, but the rear is still plusher. In full propedal, the rear is slightly harsher than the fork.

Riding down some single track, I love it in full open mode!!!! I still groove on propedal. Full propedal, well I can still fly, but it loses its charm.

I have a gut feeling I will leave the rear shock in light propedal for most races. Perhaps using the full propedal on long fireroad climbs....although, I'm not sure if it is worth thinking about as the monkey motion seems pretty well in check in light propedal mode.

I love the fact I can get it to be super plush by turning the propedal off. I am used to a specialized epic that I loved, but never had a plush and relaxed ride that I often love during my .....epic rides!

Well, I must say your Blur XC is a beautty!
    Comming from a S Epic you sure must feel better after your rides, dont you?
    I never really like the Epic, and glad I bought a 2004 Blur!
    I never tought I would take on Epic's on the climbs as well, especially on those technicals ones... they just start lossing traction, and the Blur... never lost!
    ---------------------------------------------
    Regards from Portugal

mtbr member

PS Thanks Lactic for telling me what the black thingymajiggy was!

You're welcome!

Sweet looking ride, BTW.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Epic to Blur or Superlight

I have ridden a Specialized Epic for 2 years. I have ridden a Blur a couple of times and I am in love. The Epic has had great reviews for climbing, but the Blur to me was like night and day. I am female 5'6" and love to climb. I am thinking about getting Blur.
    Can anyone give me any info. on the Superlight vs. the Blur.
    thanks
    "Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket?"

Adobo Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftrack
    I have ridden a Specialized Epic for 2 years. I have ridden a Blur a couple of times and I am in love. The Epic has had great reviews for climbing, but the Blur to me was like night and day. I am female 5'6" and love to climb. I am thinking about getting Blur.
    Can anyone give me any info. on the Superlight vs. the Blur.
    thanks
    I'm thinking of getting the blur too at the end of this year. If you do get the blur, keep me posted on what size you end up getting. We are the same size. On the SC website it looks like we can go either a small or medium. So, I'm interested on what size you choose and for what reasons. Thanks,

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast