Doesnt ride Banshees

New Blur 4X pictures

I just got my new xc bike built this afternoon! Since I feel most comfortable on a downhill bike, traditional xc bikes just feel weird to me. On paper, this thing looked ideal for a downhiller who rides mucho cross country, so I pulled the trigger and ordered the frame. Unfortunately we got 8" of snow here in maine, so it's snowmobile trails for now, and I'll probably drive down to Nam in MA next saturday for some riding to get it on dirt. Here are some spec's and pictures...

PS: Don't tell me to rotate my guide, I just noticed in the pictures and am on it.

07' Santa Cruz Blur 4X, Large
    07' Rock Shox Pike 426 U-Turn
    Fox Float R (off to PUSH soon)
    Chris King headset
    Chris King hubset
    Mavic XM321 rims
    SRAM X9 derailleur
    SRAM X9 shifter
    SRAM PC991 chain
    SRAM PC990 cassette
    Avid Juicy 5 brakes
    Truvativ Howitzer BB
    Truvativ Holzefeller cranks
    Truvativ Holzefeller stem
    Truvativ Holzefeller bar
    Thomson Elite layback post
    E13 SRS
    E13 Guide ring
    Rare Evil supercharger
    WTB Rocket V saddle
    WTB Weirwolf LT 2.55 tires
    ODI ruffian lock ons
    Time Atacs for now
    Crank Brothers Acids on wednesday

ISO Gems...
    Killer... I'd love to try the 4X out one of these days. If I had the extra dough that would be the bike that I'd get in addition to the Nomad, nice and slack, low BB, built up much lighter. I bet it'll be fun.

D

mtbr member
    wow. love it. colours go sooooo well together.

enjoy!

mtbr member
    Very sweet looking bike...good job!

nerfherder
    Banshee - Up until now I loved my 4X. Now, I love your 4X. The orange is killer.

Dirty D - Are you in SD? I'm in the OC. If you're ever up here and if you fit a medium let me know. You can try mine out.

mtbr member
    yeah, what he said; the orange definitely gets yer attention.

Got A Lust for Life...
    Those tires are going to suck in the snow...but the thing looks sweet. Oh, and rotate your chainguide!
    I am immune to your disdain.

my church is the woods

how tall are you?

how tall are you? I am almost ready to order a 4x frame, but without any shops having one it stock to try, I am not sure if I should go with med or large. I'm 5"11" , which on the sizing chart shows I could go either way. I like the top tube length of a large but I'm a little concerned about the really long wheelbase and being able to flick it around. I think the medium would be too short to climb with however.

That orange color looks sweet. I wonder if it matches the new Marz Z1 orange?

nerfherder
    I'm going to say large. I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam and the medium seems perfect but on the edge of getting small.

How about you other guys? What's your height/inseam and what size are you on?

filthy ape
    Oct 2005

5'11" with a large here.

Quote Originally Posted by moonraker
    how tall are you? I am almost ready to order a 4x frame, but without any shops having one it stock to try, I am not sure if I should go with med or large. I'm 5"11" , which on the sizing chart shows I could go either way. I like the top tube length of a large but I'm a little concerned about the really long wheelbase and being able to flick it around. I think the medium would be too short to climb with however.

That orange color looks sweet. I wonder if it matches the new Marz Z1 orange?
    moonraker,
    I am 5'11" also and find the large to be a great fit with a 90-110mm stem. The longish wheelbase hasn't been a problem for me on techy, tight singletrack. When the trail turns steep and fast the longer wheelbase really comes into play. It's a very stable bike through the rough at speed and carves corners very well. The bike has a very surefooted feel to it and gives a little added confidence. I find it to be quite flickable and comfortable in the air despite the longer wheelbase. If you are intending to use the bike as a trailbike and do a good deal of climbing on your trails, I'd definitely say go with a large. As a playbike or for racing only a medium might be fine. FWIW, I am coming from a medium Heckler and really digging the handling, climbing, and overall ride of the 4X. BTW, that orange looks way sweet and I almost ordered that color. It would actually match the new orange Z1 rather nicely with some ano blue bling tossed in. Unfortunately, at a fixed 150mm the Z1 would have a serious chopper effect on the bike. Maybe a Nemesis mod would be in order.
    Last edited by Duh-luth; 02-06-2007 at 08:26 AM.

filthy ape
    Oct 2005
    Banshee,
    Great job on the build, that looks sweet!

Got A Lust for Life...
    5'10" 32" Large feels great.

ISO Gems...
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    Banshee - Up until now I loved my 4X. Now, I love your 4X. The orange is killer.

Dirty D - Are you in SD? I'm in the OC. If you're ever up here and if you fit a medium let me know. You can try mine out.

Yes, I'm in the big SD, let me know if your're ever in the area. Even though I'm not in the market right now, I appreciate you extending that nice offer - Maybe I'll take you up on it in the future. Thanks.

Got A Lust for Life...
    Any one else notice that his frame does not have the TI link? A friend of mine just pointed that out and I cannot believe I didn't notice it. They haven't used that link for how long now? I wonder how long that frame was hanging in the warehouse.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    One word- CLEAN!!

Super nice job man!
    Last edited by MattP.; 02-07-2007 at 06:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Sick.

Your bike is dope.

It's somewhere between my Blur LT and my Chameleon - somewhere I might want to end up one day.

I'm inspired.

Have fun.

Got A Lust for Life...
    You should see it in person. I rode it around the shop today and have started contemplating a setback post and shorter stem. Ol Banshee knows how to throw a bike together I tell ya...his own way for sure.

nerfherder
    Banshee - make sure you give us a ride report on how the bike feels with the setback and shorter stem. I'm curious if it'll affect the climbing prowess. Seems good for technical handling.