Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

The new Bantam now listed on the SC website.

Santa Cruz Bicycles BANTAM

125mm single pivot.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Video of it here: Santa Cruz Bantam on Vimeo

Cheaper version of the Solo looks like.

mtbr member
    Did you notice there are no hard tails listed on site anymore? Me thinks some more new bikes on way!
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by t0pcat View Post
    Did you notice there are no hard tails listed on site anymore? Me thinks some more new bikes on way!
    That is some sort of browser glitch. My buddy asked me about that a week or two ago and my browser was showing the hardtail tab, his was not. Try a new browser and you'll see them still listed.

mtbr member
    650B Superlight?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    My LBS had one in a couple weeks ago I think it was. I went in to see if they had a solo yet and he was no but I got a 27.5 Heckler.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Exactly what I want, but 30lbs is a bit heavy. The frame must be heavy. I wish it was a 27lb er' that as I upgrade could get down to 26ish...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hmm, yeah listed as 6.85lbs. Heavier than the Solo Al, Bronson Al and the new Heckler which doesn't make much sense to me.

They've made mistakes on the website before with weights. They're just releasing too much product for their digital marketing team to keep up with!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Huanyao View Post
    650B Superlight?
    Sure looks that way
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Looks great, loving the year there pushing with the bikes

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Why have this bike?

Is cool and all, but must they have a bike in 100mm, 120, 140, 160, 180..., in al, in carbon, sinle pivot, then vpp...etc, oh, and app.

Is a small company thats trying to become the next Trek or spesh.

Wonder if Rob (scb ceo) has one of each bike in his garage

Norđwegr
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll View Post
    Why have this bike?
    Because $1299 for a frame or $2400-ish for a complete bike is cheaper than the other options..

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Hell yeah. I don't need it, and am quite happy with my stable, but...

2400 for a 5" bike in between the Superlight and the Heckler? Proven and durable single pivot? Buy it, ride the **** out of it.

Sure, it may not be as light and blingy as other options out there, but this bike looks freakin' awesome for what it is.

Their frame only costs on their single pivots are not bad, historically. So, buy the frame, build with your parts of choice. Yeah, it'll be a heavier frame, but the money saved there can go into lighter wheels and better fork, which, IMO, is more important in the long run than a lighter frame.

If I were on a budget and looking for a medium travel trail bike, this thing would be getting my hairy eyeball for sure. Not everyone can afford (or choose to buy) the expensive wonder-bike bling that is out there these days.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    How is this bike different from the Nickel from last year, both listed at 130mm and both run 650b, both single pivots and the frame weights are within a 1/2 lb of each other?!?!?!
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by madsedan View Post
    How is this bike different from the Nickel from last year, both listed at 130mm and both run 650b, both single pivots and the frame weights are within a 1/2 lb of each other?!?!?!

Same question here... how would it compare to a 650B Nickel... I'm saving for a Nickel with plans of converting it to the tweener wheels... should I get a Nickel or the bantam??? But APP on the Nickel seems more interesting than the single pivot Bantam, thought the geometry of the Bantam is 'Solo-ish'. Since I've read that the Solo had it's pedigree from the Blur Tr which the Nickel is almost identical with. By the way I have a Nomad MK2 and a Superlight 650'ed... wanting to get something in between these 2 bikes of mine... The short version is... Bantam or Nickel (650'ed)???

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I think your SL would be too similar to the Bantam and would opt for the Nickel but that's just my opinion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by saddle pimp View Post
    Same question here... how would it compare to a 650B Nickel... I'm saving for a Nickel with plans of converting it to the tweener wheels... should I get a Nickel or the bantam??? But APP on the Nickel seems more interesting than the single pivot Bantam, thought the geometry of the Bantam is 'Solo-ish'. Since I've read that the Solo had it's pedigree from the Blur Tr which the Nickel is almost identical with. By the way I have a Nomad MK2 and a Superlight 650'ed... wanting to get something in between these 2 bikes of mine... The short version is... Bantam or Nickel (650'ed)???
    if youre set with getting something in between those 2, Id prolly prefer Nickel becuase I would guess itll be cheaper. Of course, it all depends on what you can find on the used market for a Nickel. and if you go used, no warranty. so, yea, just depends on whats more important to you because i would imagine the bikes would ride very similarly.

I would imagine the geometry on these 2 are gonna be pretty similar although I havent actually done any research to back that up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    got that...Nickel looks a bit more promising now that you mentioned the above reasons... thanks..

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post

2400 for a 5" bike in between the Superlight and the Heckler? Proven and durable single pivot? Buy it, ride the **** out of it.

Sure, it may not be as light and blingy as other options out there, but this bike looks freakin' awesome for what it is.

Their frame only costs on their single pivots are not bad, historically. So, buy the frame, build with your parts of choice. Yeah, it'll be a heavier frame, but the money saved there can go into lighter wheels and better fork, which, IMO, is more important in the long run than a lighter frame.

If I were on a budget and looking for a medium travel trail bike, this thing would be getting my hairy eyeball for sure. Not everyone can afford (or choose to buy) the expensive wonder-bike bling that is out there these days.
    What Scrub said.... "If" I were ready to make the move to 27.5, it would be my frame of choice. And, being a current Nickel owner, I'll love getting rid of the links that catch all of the crap off of my back tire. I'm fine with "just a single pivot".
    PLUS, 125mm is PERFECT for a hard core trail bike..... I don't need a 150-160mm travel "Enduro" (used to be All Mountain? haha) frame for trail rides.... even though I like trails with features that have my wheels off of the ground quite a bit.
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoaster View Post
    What Scrub said.... "If" I were ready to make the move to 27.5, it would be my frame of choice. And, being a current Nickel owner, I'll love getting rid of the links that catch all of the crap off of my back tire. I'm fine with "just a single pivot".
    PLUS, 125mm is PERFECT for a hard core trail bike..... I don't need a 150-160mm travel "Enduro" (used to be All Mountain? haha) frame for trail rides.... even though I like trails with features that have my wheels off of the ground quite a bit.
    You guys are selling me on this thing... My MTB fund hit the $2k mark on the day the Bantam was released, and it completely jacked up my new bike plans. I haven't owned a Santa Cruz so I'm trying to glean what I can about the behavior of this single pivot design... brutal decision.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

smartass
    The APP on the Nickel pedals and handles it's mid stroke travel better than the non-linkage single pivot of a Heckler, and it's worth cleaning a little crud for (some of us clean our bikes, Eastcoaster!). I've owned both, and there's no comparison, particularly while standing. VPP is better yet, but APP is a nice middle ground. Assuming the Bantam pedals like a Heckler, I'd pick the Nickel every day of the week.

But, since you're set on 650b, skip the Nickel and get the Bantam, it's designed for the bigger wheels, and you won't end up with higher BB as a result.

The Bantam also has a longer CS and WB, and ISCG tabs, which are all pluses to me for faster, aggressive riding.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    You guys are selling me on this thing... My MTB fund hit the $2k mark on the day the Bantam was released, and it completely jacked up my new bike plans. I haven't owned a Santa Cruz so I'm trying to glean what I can about the behavior of this single pivot design... brutal decision.
    Caveat: I've of course no experience with the Bantam, but have owned and ridden several other simple single pivots. No experience with 650B...yet.

They (single pivots) are great bikes. Simple, easy. They work best with a smooth pedaler - if you're just a hack masher, IMO, go elsewhere. The SC pivot system is pretty damn sweet. Their CS is great. If the pricing and geometry work for you...

I'd say go for it, ride the crap out of it, and replace/upgrade as the stock parts age and die.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

The new Bantam now listed on the SC website.

I would consider this bike but, the builds start at 2,600 for a bike that has similar builds to the SL 29 Seems a little steep. Must be because 27.5's are in high demand?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Any idea when the Bantam gonna be available to the masses?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    In the process of warrantee on my frame, they said Jan.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast